受人尊重 以致低调到不想让名字上报
and too respectable to want your name in the newspapers.
我当然有名望 因为我到年纪了
Of course I’m respectable. I’m old.
政客 破房♥子和婊♥子♥
Politicians, ugly buildings, and whores
只要年头够久 都值得尊敬
all get respectable if they last long enough.
我将付给你双倍价钱 外加1万美金
I’ll double whatever your fee is and pay you $10,000
如果你能找到霍利斯的小女友的话
if you find Hollis’ girlfriend.
小女朋?-她失踪了 对吧?
Girlfriend? -Disappeared, hasn’t she?
是啊
Yeah.
跟她谈谈不是会有用吗?
Wouldn’t it be useful to talk to her?
也许吧
Maybe.
如果穆雷是被谋杀的
If Mulwray was murdered,
她可能是为数不多最后见过他的人
she’d be one of the last to have seen him alive.
您最后一次见到他是什么时候?
When’s the last time you saw Mulwray?
这是警长的黄金武装团 这群傻蛋
Sheriff’s gold posse. Bunch of damn fools
愿花五千美元来支持警长再次竞选
who pay $5,000 apiece towards the Sheriff’s re-election.
我让他们来这儿排练
I let them practice up out here.

Yeah.
你还记得最后一次见到穆雷是什么时候吗?
Do you remember the last time you saw Mulwray?
到我这个年纪 就爱忘事
At my age, you tend to forget.
大概在5天前 在Pig’n Whistle酒吧
It was five days ago outside The Pig’n Whistle,
你们大吵了一架
and you had one hell of an argument.
我办公室里有照片 也许能帮您回忆
I got the pictures in my office, if that’ll help you remember.
你们在争论什么?-我女儿
What was the argument about? -My daughter.
关于什么?
What about her?
吉茨 你只管找那个女孩就行了
Just find the girl, Mr. Gitts.
我知道霍利斯喜欢她
I happen to know Hollis was fond of her.
如果可以 我乐意帮助她
I’d like to help her if I can.
我还不知道您跟霍利斯这么要好
I had no idea you and Hollis were that fond of one another.
霍利斯·穆雷造就了这个城市
Hollis Mulwray made this city,
还成就了我的事业
and he made me a fortune.
我们的关系比伊芙琳了解的要亲密得多
We were a lot closer than Evelyn realized.
如果你想雇用我 我还是要知道你们在争吵什么
If you want to hire me, I still have to know what the argument was about.
我女儿嫉妒心很重
My daughter’s a very jealous woman.
我不想让她发现这个女孩的事
I didn’t want her to find out about the girl.
那你是怎么知道的?
How did you find out?
我脑子里绷了几根弦 而且在城中也有眼线
I still got a few teeth left in my head, and a few friends in town.
好吧
Okay.
我会…
I’II…
我会让我的秘书起草合同
I’ll have my secretary draw up the papers.
顺便问一下
Tell me,
你是担心那个女孩儿 还是担心伊芙琳会做出格的事?
are you frightened for the girl or what Evelyn might do to her?
你只管找到那个姑娘就是了
Just find the girl.
我会办好的
I’ll look into it,
在此之前要查清楚橘子林的事情
as soon as I’ve checked out some orange groves.
橘子林?
Orange groves?
再联♥系♥ 克罗斯先生
We’ll be in touch, Mr. Cross.
我有点迷糊 可不可以告诉我
I’m a little lost. I wonder if you could you tell me
西北谷地的地图册放在什么地方?
where the plat books for the Northwest Valley are?
有一部分在文图拉县
Part of it’s in Ventura County.
我们档案馆没有文图拉县的资料
We don’t have Ventura County in our Hall of Records.
我只要洛杉矶的那部分资料
Well, then, I’ll settle for Los Angeles County.
C区 23架
Row 23, section C.
小滑头
Weasel.
嘿 伙计
Say, sonny,
为什么地图本上贴了那么多名字?
why do they have all those names pasted in the plat books?
未经第三方代管的土地出♥售♥要在当周做记录
Land sales out of escrow are always recorded within the week.
那他们就是新地主咯?-对啊
Then these are all new owners? -That’s right.
也就是说谷地的大部分土地都在最近几个月卖♥♥出了
Well, that means that most of the Valley sold in the last few months.
就是这个意思
If that’s what it says.
我能借一册出去吗?
Can I check one of these volumes out?
先生 这儿不是图书馆 而是档案馆
Sir, this is not a lending library. It’s the Hall of Records.
能借把尺子吗?-尺子?
How about a ruler? -A ruler?
这个字太小了 我又把眼镜落在家了
Yeah. The print’s real fine. I left my glasses home.
尺子可以一排排比着看
I’d like to be able to read across.
非常感谢.
Why, thank you.
农场已出♥售♥
禁止入内
不许动
Hold it right there!
好了 别打了 住手
All right, quit it. Quit, now!
搜他的身 看他有没有带武器
Search the man. See if he’s armed.
我说看看他有没有武器 不是掏兜
I said see if he’s armed, not empty his pockets!
搜他的身 搜身
Search him. Search him!
他没有武器
He ain’t armed.
好吧 你跟谁一伙的?
All right, mister, who you with,
水利部还是房♥地♥产♥办公室的?
the Water Department or the Real Estate Office?
别碰我 -回答我
Get away from me! -Answer him!
你再用那玩意儿碰我
You come near me with that thing again,
老子就让你以后拄双拐
you’re gonna need a pair of them!
有种别挑软柿子捏
Why don’t you pick on somebody your own size?
叫你们停下!听听他怎么说
I said cut that out! Give the man a chance to say something!
我是吉蒂斯 私♥家♥侦♥探♥
The name’s Gittes. I’m a private investigator.
和那两个部门都没关系
I’m not with either one of them.
先生 你来这儿干什么?
Then what you doing out here, mister?
我的客户让我来的
A client hired me to see…
调查水利部有没有灌溉你们的土地
To see if the Water Department was irrigating your land.
灌溉我们的土地?
Irrigating my land?
水利部还老派人来
The Water Department’s been sending you people out here
炸我们的水库 在三口井里下毒呢
to blow up my water tanks, they put poison down three of my wells.
这是哪门子的灌溉
I call that a funny way to irrigate.
谁雇你来做这件事的?
Who’d hire you for a thing like that?
伊芙琳·穆雷夫人
Mrs. Evelyn Mulwray.
穆雷?正是这狗♥娘♥养♥的在对付我们
Mulwray? That’s the son of a bitch who’s done it to us.
穆雷死了 你这老东西根本不知道真♥相♥
Mulwray’s dead. You don’t know what you’re talking about, you dumb Okie.
够了
Well, that’s that.
出了什么事?
What’s going on?
你看着不太好
You didn’t look too good,
我们想最好叫你的雇主来
so we thought we better call your employer.
谢谢你来接我
Thanks for coming.
那水坝是个骗局 -什么水坝?
That dam’s a con job. -What dam?
你丈夫反对修建的那个 他们骗洛杉矶的居民建水坝
The one your husband opposed. They’re conning L.A. into building it.
但那些水并没引到洛杉矶 而是来了这里
But the water’s not gonna go to L. A., it’s coming right here.
这个山谷?
To the Valley?
如你所见 就是这里
Everything you can see. Everything around us.
我今天去了档案馆
I was at the Hall of Records today.
在过去的三个月 罗伯特·诺克斯买♥♥了七千亩地
In the last three months, Robert Knox has bought 7,000 acres,
艾玛·迪尔一万二千亩 克拉伦斯·斯皮尔五千亩
Emma Dill, 12,000, Clarence Speer, 5,000,
还有贾斯帕·拉马尔·克拉布 两万五千亩
and Jasper Lamar Crabb, 25,000 acres.
贾斯帕·拉马尔·克拉布?-你认识他?
Jasper Lamar Crabb? -You know him?
我对这个名字有印象 -是嘛
I think I would’ve remembered. -Yeah.
他们把这些农民赶走
They’re blowing these farmers out of their land
出贱价买♥♥下他们的地
and then picking it up for peanuts.
一旦这些地有了充分的水源 你知道该值多少钱么?
You have any idea what this land would be worth with a steady water supply?
比他们付的还多三千万元
About $30 million more than they paid for it.
霍利斯知道了这件事?-所以他才丧了命
Hollis knew about this? -That’s why he was killed.
贾斯帕·拉马尔·克拉布
Jasper Lamar Crabb.
贾斯帕·拉马尔·克拉布
Jasper Lamar Crabb.
【讣告栏】
查尔斯·C·布朗德尔
卡拉·L·凯恩莱特
贾斯帕·拉马尔·克拉布
有了 -什么?
We got it! -What?
有了 -到底是什么?
We got it. -What? What is it?
“今天在玛尔·维斯塔旅馆为贾斯帕·拉马尔·克拉布
“A memorial service was held at the Mar Vista Inn today
举♥行♥追悼会”
“for Jasper Lamar Crabb.”
他两周前死了
He passed away two weeks ago.
有什么不正常吗?
Why is that unusual?
他两周前死了 却在一周前买♥♥了土地
He passed away two weeks ago, and one week ago he bought the land.
也太不正常了吧
That’s unusual.
玛尔·维斯塔
疗养院
您好 我是帕莫先生 我能为您效劳吗?
Hello, there. I’m Mr. Palmer. Can I help you folks?
您肯定能帮我们忙的
Yes, I hope so.
是家父
It’s Dad.
我再也不能照顾他了
I can’t seem to handle him anymore.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!