唐人街
柯利 够了
All right, Curly, enough’s enough.
你总不能把百叶窗吃了吧 我星期三才装的
You can’t eat the Venetian blinds. I just had them installed on Wednesday.
喝一杯吧
Down the hatch.
她不是好东西 -我该怎么跟你说呢?你说得对
She’s no good. -What can I tell you, kid? You’re right.
你说对便是对
When you’re right, you’re right.
况且你的确是对的
And you’re right.
我下周把尾款付给你
I’ll pay you the rest next week.
我们在圣·本尼迪克特只捕到了60吨♥鲣鱼
We only caught 60 tonne of skipjack down in San Benedict.
鲣鱼的售价比不过长鳍金枪鱼
And they don’t pay you the same for skipjack as they do albacore tuna.
*此处成片有删减
剧本中柯利表示要杀死妻子
吉蒂斯说“要杀人又不受惩罚, 那就得有钱,
而你连付尾款的钱都掏不出来”
柯利变得沮丧
吉蒂斯才安慰说他提出这点是劝柯利不要冲动,
本意不是想榨干♥他♥的钱
别惦记这事儿了 柯利
Forget it, will you, Curly?
我只是提出这一点 我并不会榨干♥你♥的钱
I only brought it up to illustrate a point. I don’t want your last dime.
你把我当什么人了?
What kind of a guy do you think I am?
谢谢你 吉蒂斯先生 -叫我杰克就行
Thank you, Mr. Gittes. -Call me Jake.
回家路上开车小心点 柯利 听见没
Careful driving home, Curl, huh?
穆雷夫人正在等你 沃尔什先生和达菲先生陪着她
Mrs. Mulwray’s waiting for you with Mr. Walsh and Mr. Duffy.
穆雷夫人 请允许我介绍吉蒂斯先生
Mrs. Mulwray, may I present Mr. Gittes?
穆雷夫人 你好 -吉蒂斯先生
Mrs. Mulwray, how do you do? -Mr. Gittes.
出了什么问题吗?
Now, what seems to be the problem?
是我的丈夫…
My husband,
我觉得他有外遇
I believe, is seeing another woman.
哦 真的吗?-恐怕是的
No. Really? -I’m afraid so.
真遗憾
I am sorry.
吉蒂斯先生 我们能单独谈谈吗?
Mr. Gittes, please, do you think we could discuss this alone?
恐怕不行 他们是我的侦探
I’m afraid not, Mrs. Mulwray. These are my operatives,
必要时 我需要他们的协助
and at some point, they’re going to have to assist me.
我不可能事事亲为
I can’t do everything myself.
那是自然
Of course not.
那么
Now,
是什么让你确信你丈夫
what makes you certain that your husband is
有了外遇?
involved with someone?
妻子的直觉
A wife can tell.
穆雷夫人 你爱你的丈夫吗?
Mrs. Mulwray, do you love your husband?
当然爱
Yes, of course!
那就回家 然后把这些都忘了吧 -但我…
Then go home and forget everything. -But, I…
我肯定他也爱你 穆雷夫人
I’m sure that he loves you, too, Mrs. Mulwray.
知道“睁一只眼闭一只眼”这句话吗?
Do you know the expression, “Let sleeping dogs lie”?
你最好还是什么都不要知道
You’re better off not knowing.
我非知道不可
I have to know.
那好吧
Very well.
你丈夫叫什么名字?
What is your husband’s first name?
霍利斯
Hollis.
霍利斯·穆雷
Hollis Mulwray.
水利部的?-他是总工程师
Water and Power? -He’s Chief Engineer.
总工程师?
Chief Engineer?
穆雷夫人 这种…
Mrs. Mulwray, this…
这种类型的调查可能会花去不少钱
This type of investigation can be hard on your pocketbook.
得花时间…
It takes time…
钱对我来说不是问题 吉蒂斯先生
Money doesn’t matter to me, Mr. Gittes.
好吧 我们…
Okay, we’II…
看看该怎么办
We’ll see what we can do.
先生们 今天你可以跨出那扇门
Gentlemen, today you can walk out that door,
往右拐 跳上电车 25分钟以后
turn right, hop a streetcar, and within 25 minutes,
就可到达太平洋岸边
end up smack in the Pacific Ocean.
你可以在那儿游泳 钓鱼 但是它不能为你解渴
Now, you can swim in it and you can fish in it, but you can’t drink it,
不能用来浇灌橘子林
and you can’t irrigate an orange grove with it.
请别忘记 我们既生活在海边
Now remember, we live next door to the ocean,
也同时生活在沙漠的边缘
but we also live on the edge of a desert.
洛杉矶是一个沙漠地区
Los Angeles is a desert community.
在这大厦之下 街道深处 便是沙漠
Beneath this building, beneath our streets, is a desert.
如果没有水 就会尘土飞扬 埋没我们
And without water, the dust will rise up and cover us
就像我们从来就没有存在过一样
as though we never existed.
这个阿尔托·瓦列霍计划可以解救我们
Now, the Alto Vallejo can save us from this,
我郑重建议 花850万元的资金
and I respectfully suggest that $8.5 million
是一个合理的代价 使我们的街道不被沙漠埋上
is a fair price to pay to keep the desert from our streets
也不再立于沙漠之上
and not on top of them.
说得好
Hear, hear!
巴格比市长 我们再来听听各部门的意见
Mayor Bagby, let’s hear from all the departments again.
我建议从水利部开始吧
I suppose we’d better take Water and Power first.
穆雷先生
Mr. Mulwray?
各位 可能你们已经忘记了
In case you’ve forgotten, gentlemen,
范·德·里普大坝倒塌的时候 有500多人丧命
over 500 lives were lost when the Van der Lip Dam gave way.
地质取样证明了这里的基岩
Core samples have shown that beneath this bedrock
和范·德·里普基岩的渗透性页岩是属于同一类型的
is shale similar to the permeable shale in the Van der Lip disaster.
它承担不了那么大的压力
It couldn’t withstand that kind of pressure.
而现在你们计划建造另外一个
And now you propose yet another dirt-banked terminus dam
坡度为2.5:1 高112英尺
with slopes of 2.5:1 , 112 feet high,
面♥积♥1.2万英亩的水库的话
and a 12,000-acre water surface.
它一定承受不了
Well, it won’t hold.
我不同意修建 就这么简单
I won’t build it. It’s that simple.
我不会重蹈覆辙
I’m not going to make the same mistake twice.
谢谢 先生们
Thank you, gentlemen.
肃静 肃静
Quiet! Quiet!
你♥他♥妈♥的想干什么?把这些该死的东西赶出去
What the hell do you think you’re doing? Get those goddamn things out of here!
稳住他们 -你告诉我把它们赶到哪儿去?
Hold some of them. -Tell me where to take them!
你自己都不知道该怎么办 是不是?
You don’t have an answer for that so quick, do you?
是你偷了山谷的水 毁了草场
You steal water from the Valley, ruin the grazing,
饿死了我们的牲畜
starve the livestock!
穆雷 谁指使你这么干的?
Who’s paying you to do that, Mr. Mulwray?
这才是我想知道的!
That’s what I want to know!
“救救我们的城市!!!”
洛杉矶就要渴死了
请投票
天 他一整晚都在那里 -可不是嘛
Jeez, he was there all night. -That’s right.
为了跟踪监视他 我不得不返回去三次
I had to go back three times to pick up the watches.
昨天他去了三个水库
Yesterday he went to three reservoirs,
里奇菲尔德加油站的男厕所 还有Pig’n Whistle酒吧
a men’s room at a Richfield gas station, and The Pig’n Whistle.
那家伙满脑想的都是水
The guy’s got water on the brain.
你有什么发现?
So what do you got?
就这?
This?
他们争吵得很激烈 就在Pig’n Whistle酒吧外面
Well, they got into a terrific argument outside The Pig’n Whistle.
争论什么?
What about?
我不知道 街道实在太嘈杂了
I don’t know. The traffic was pretty loud.
我就听见一个词
I heard only one thing, though.
“阿珀科尔”
“Apple core.”
“苹果核”?-嗯
“Apple core”? -Yeah.
天呐 沃尔什 你一整天就只干了这些?
My God, Walsh, is that what you spent your day doing?
不是你叫我拍照吗 我拍了呀
Look, you tell me to take pictures, I take pictures.
沃尔什 我得给你讲清楚
Let me explain something to you, Walsh.
这里是吉蒂斯事务所
J.J. Gittes and Associates.
做我们这行呢 需要点手腕
This business requires a certain amount of finesse.
什么事 苏菲?
What is it, Sophie?
达菲来电
Duffy’s on the phone.
达菲 你在哪儿?-我找到了
Yeah, Duff, where are you? -I got it!
那家伙给自己找了一个漂亮小妞 这老东西
He’s found himself some cute little twist, the old buzzard…
好 慢点说 你在哪儿?
Okay. Slow down. Where are you?
我在格兰岱尔市的道格拉斯区
I’m at Glendale and Douglas.
他们在回声公园划船呢
They’re in Echo Park in a rowboat. A rowboat!
知道了
Okay.
回声公园
Echo Park.
又是水
Water again.
来吧伙计 笑灿烂点
Okay, pal, let’s have us a big smile.
你会喜欢的
You’ll love it.
艾尔·马康多公♥寓♥
水电部门勃然大怒
J·J·吉蒂斯
受雇于妒妇
总工程师利用公♥款♥
金屋藏娇 被调查
过来 让我…
Here. Let me…
你现在大名鼎鼎了 应该见怪不怪了吧
When you get so much publicity, you got to get blasé about it.
承认吧 杰克 你简直像电影明星了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!