或者 她可能在什么地方?-根本不知道
Or where she might be? -Certainly not.
您和您丈夫从来没有谈起过她?
You and your husband never discussed her?
他…
He…
我们讨论过
We did.
他不肯告诉我她的名字
He wouldn’t tell me her name.
我们当然因为她吵过架 但我完全没想到会这样
We quarrelled over her, of course. It came as a complete surprise to me.
完全没有想到?
A complete surprise?
我以为你请了私♥家♥侦♥探♥的
I thought you hired a private investigator.
私♥家♥侦♥探♥?
A private investigator?
吉蒂斯先生
Mr. Gittes.
是的 但我那么做是为了
Yes, but I did that because I thought I would put an end
终止那些毫无根据的荒谬谣言
to a ridiculous rumor that had no basis.
吉蒂斯先生是什么时候告诉你
When did Mr. Gittes inform you
那些谣传是有事实依据的?
that these rumors had some foundation in fact?
就在这件事暴露在公众之前 卢
Just before the story broke in the papers, Lou.
你会不会碰巧知道那个女人在哪里呢?
You wouldn’t happen to know where I could find her?
不知道
No.
或者她的名字?-不知道
Or her name? -No.
料到了
Of course not.
还有什么事要问我的吗 警官?
Will you need me for anything else, Lieutenant?
哦 不不 我想没有了 穆雷夫人
Oh, no, no, Mrs. Mulwray, I don’t think so.
如果我们还需要什么信息的话 会跟您联♥系♥的
If we need any more information, we’ll be in touch.
对了 请您节哀顺变
Of course you have my deepest sympathy.
我送她上车 卢 回头见
I’ll see her to the car, Lou. I’ll be right back.
杰克 怎么回事?-放松一点 伙计 请让一下
Jake, come on, what’s the story? -Take it easy, guys. Let us get through.
我们得快点
We better do this in a hurry.
请让一下 给我们腾点空间
Let us through, guys! Give us a little room!
你们想拍照片吗?拍我吧
You want a picture, guys? Here it is!
吉蒂斯 两个T 一个E
“Gittes”, two T’s and an E.
感谢你一直护着我
Thank you for going along with me back there.
我实在不想再解释什么
I just didn’t want to explain anything.
我会寄支票给你
I’ll send you a check.
支票?
A check?
作为雇佣你的正式手续
To make it official that I’ve hired you.
要是可以 我下午就办妥
I’ll get to him this afternoon if I can.
杰克 你在这儿干吗?
Jake, what are you doing here?
没事 莫蒂 这会儿是午休时间
Nothing, Morty. It’s my lunch hour.
来看看最近有谁死了
Thought I’d drop by and see who dropped dead lately.
哦?发生什么事了?
Yeah? Isn’t this something?
正在闹干旱 水利部总工程师倒淹死了
Middle of a drought, and the Water Commissioner drowns.
洛杉矶才会发生这种事 -是啊
Only in L.A. -Yeah.
看起来摔得不轻 -可不是 那么高的地方摔下来
Looks pretty banged up. -Well, it’s a long fall.
你最近怎样 莫蒂?
So how are you doing, Morty?
很好 除了咳嗽没完没了
Never better, except for this darn cough.
你懂的 杰克 -嗯
You know me, Jake. -Yeah.
这个是谁?
Who you got there?
勒洛伊·舒哈特 一个本地的酒鬼
Leroy Shuhardt, local drunk.
以前常在弗格森巷附近闲荡
Used to hang around Ferguson’s Alley.
是个人物
Quite a character.
最近他住在市区的下水道里
Lately he’d been living in one of the downtown storm drains.
底下什么都有 还有个梳妆台
Had a bureau dresser down there and everything.
好的 那么…
All right, there.
他也是淹死的
Yeah. He drowned, too.
又一个?
Come again?
对 醉得神志不清 在河床底晕了过去
Yeah. Got drunk, passed out in the bottom of the riverbed.
洛杉矶河?
The L.A. River?
对啊 就在霍伦贝克桥下 有什么不对吗?
Yeah, right under Hollenbeck Bridge. What’s wrong with that?
它已经干涸了啊 莫蒂
Well, it’s dry as a bone, Morty.
干得不彻底
It’s not completely dry.
不管他醉成什么样 也不会在一个
Well, he ain’t gonna exactly drown in a damp riverbed,
潮湿的河床里淹死啊
no matter how soused he is.
他肚子里有水 杰克 他是淹死的
We got water out of him. He drowned!
你好
Hello.
你好
Howdy.
那天你也在这里骑马 是吗?
You were riding out here the other day, weren’t you?
你说英语吗?
Do you speak English?
你前几天跟一个男人说过话 他戴眼镜…
You were talking to a man a few days ago. He wore glasses…

Yes.
你介不介意我问一下你们说了什么?
What did you talk about, do you mind my asking?
水 -水的什么?
The water. -What about the water?
水来的时候 -水来的时候?
When it comes. -When it comes?
你怎么跟他说的?
What did you tell him?
水从河的不同部位来
It comes in different parts of the river.
每晚都是不同的地方
Every night a different part.
他妈的 该死的烂富乐绅鞋
Son of a bitch! Goddamn Florsheim shoe.
嘿 不许动 小猫咪
Hold it there, kitty-cat! Hold it!
嗨 克劳德 你从哪儿搞来的小喽啰?
Hello, Claude. Where’d you get the midget?
你是个多管闲事的家伙 是吧?
You’re a very nosy fellow, kitty-cat, huh?
知道爱管闲事的家伙会有什么下场吗?
You know what happens to nosy fellows?
猜猜看?不肯猜?
No? Want to guess? No?
呵呵 他们丢了鼻子
Okay. They lose their noses.
下回 你的整个鼻子就全没了
Next time you lose the whole thing.
我要把它割下来喂我的金鱼
Cut it off and feed it to my goldfish.
明白了吗?
Understand?
明白了吗?-你不明白吗 吉蒂斯?
Understand? -Don’t you understand, Gittes?
我明白
I understand.
我们走
All right.
所以说是有承包商要修一个水坝
So some contractor wants to build a dam,
从中谋利 那又怎样?
and he makes a few payoffs. So what?
你觉得能扳倒马尔维希尔吗?他们会告你非法入侵
Think you can nail Mulvihill? They’ll claim you were trespassing.
我没想扳倒马尔维希尔
Don’t want Mulvihill.
我的目标是那些谋利的家伙
I want the big boys that are making the payoffs.
然后怎样?
Then what do you do?
告得他们倾家荡产
Sue the shit out of them.
是吗?-是的
Yeah? -Yeah.
怎么了 苏菲?-瑟森斯小姐来电
What is it, Sophie? -A Miss Sessions is calling.
谁?-艾达·瑟森斯
Who? -Ida Sessions.
不认识 让她留个号♥码
Don’t know her. Take a number.
你要告发的那种人
Sue people like that,
说不定就跟判这个案子的法官共进晚餐呢
they’re liable to be having dinner with the judge who’s trying the suit.
抱歉 瑟森斯小姐坚持要跟您通话
I’m sorry. Miss Sessions insists.
她说您认识她
She says you know her.

Okay.
你好 瑟森斯女士 我想我们并不认识
Hello, Miss Sessions. I don’t believe we’ve had the pleasure.
哦 我们认识的
Oh, yes, we have.
就您一人吗?-谁不孤独呢?
Are you alone? -Isn’t everyone?
*女士想曝内♥幕♥,又担心闲杂人太多,想确认通话环境是否安全
吉蒂斯当她是陌生人,理解成其它意思
有什么要我为您效劳的?
What can I do for you?
我只是个打工人
Well, I’m a working girl.
上回我不是独自来见的您
I didn’t come in to see you on my own.
你什么时候来过?
When did you come in?
我假装成穆雷夫人 您记得吗?
I was the one who pretended to be Mrs. Mulwray. Remember?
都他妈的闭嘴 -什么?
Shut the fuck up. -Beg your pardon?
嗯 我记得 -您说什么?有什么不对劲吗?
Yes, I remember. -Beg your pardon? Is something wrong?
没事 我只是和两位同事核实一两个细节
No. I was just checking a detail or two with my two associates.
您接着说
Go on.
我没想到穆雷先生会遭遇不测
I never expected anything to happen like what happened to Mr. Mulwray.
关键是 既然事已至此
The point is, if it ever comes out,
我想让人明白 我并不晓得会发生这种事
I want somebody to know that I didn’t know what would happen.
我理解
I understand.
是谁雇的你?告诉我对你我都有好处
Who was your employer? That could be helpful to both of us.
啊 不 不能说
Oh, no! Oh, no.

No.
那你的地址呢?也许我们可以好好谈谈
What’s your address? Maybe we could talk this over.
不行 吉蒂斯先生
No, Mr. Gittes.
看看今天洛杉矶邮报中的讣告栏吧
Just look in the obituary column of today’s L.A. Post-Record.
讣告栏?
The obituary column?
您会在那些人中揪出其中一个的 -“那些人”…
You’ll find one of those people. -“Those people”? Miss…
好吧
Sure.
瞧瞧这意外之喜啊!
How do you like them apples?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!