克拉伦斯应该获得先发言去洗刷名誉的权利
Clarence deserves the right to speak first and clear his name.
你要我改变顺序?- 对
So you’re asking me to change the order? – Yes, I am.
现在离听证会不到12个小时
The hearing is less than 12 hours away.
你是主席 乔 你知道这里什么是对的
You’re the chairman, Joe. You know what’s right here.
听着 你去睡会
So, listen, you go on and get some sleep.
我早上到酒店 – 等等
I’ll meet you at the hotel in the morning. – Hang on.
我们一起坐车过去 – 等下伙计们 计划有变
We’ll ride over together. – Hang on, guys. Change of plans.
他们交换顺序 他们让托马斯先作证
They switched the order. They’re gonna let Thomas testify first.
丹福思说服拜登 这个顺序对托马斯不公平
Danforth convinced Biden the order wasn’t fair to Thomas.
但这说不过去啊 这是对我指控的听证
But that doesn’t make any sense. The hearings are about my charges.
我不先说指控 有什么可谈的?
What is there to talk about until I introduce them?
这是策略 你在前面先讲 你定下基调
It’s strategic. You get out in front first, you set the tone.
但他不能在开始前几小时 做这么大变化
But he can’t just make a big change like this hours before we start.
他是主席 他想做就做
He’s the chairman. He can do whatever he wants.
全国现在都知道 安妮塔希尔教授指控
Judge Clarence Thomas is, as surely the whole country knows now,
克拉伦斯·托马斯法官性骚扰
accused by Professor Anita Hill of sexually harassing her
就在他负责
when he was the head
平等就业机会委员会时
of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission,
这个政♥府♥机构是人们感觉
the government agency where one would file a complaint
受到性骚扰时提出申诉的地方
of sexual harassment if one felt they had been victimized by it.
本周全国没有听到托马斯法官讲话
The country has not heard from Judge Thomas in person all week,
虽然他发出声明否认对他的所有指控
though he did issue a statement denying all the charges against him.
托马斯法官作证后 希尔教授将被传唤
Sometime after Judge Thomas testifies, Professor Hill will be called.
司法委员会被指责
The Judiciary Committee stands accused
他们没有严肃对待这些申诉
of not taking these charges seriously when they were made.
而本周几乎整个参议院
And this week at least, virtually the entire Senate
被指责忽视妇女权利
stands accused of being indifferent to women’s rights.
俄克拉何马”捷足者”队第六场 追求完美的比赛结束
The number six Oklahoma Sooner drive for perfection is over.
他们不败赛季的梦想
Their dream for an undefeated season
在上周遭受最大测试和挑战
saw its biggest test and challenge last week
在达拉斯棉花碗球场红河队胜出时…
during the Red River shootout at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas…
橄榄球?
Football?
这让我放松
It relaxes me.
整个比赛风起云涌
swarming throughout the game.
俄克拉何马在100码线被阻挡
Oklahoma could not get anything done offensively
无法完成任何进攻
while being held to under 100 yards passing.
在预期戏剧性的参议院听证会前
Anti-Thomas protesters rallied this morning
反托马斯的示♥威♥者今天上午集♥会♥
before what is expected to be a dramatic Senate hearing.
托马斯的支持者也集♥会♥表示支持
Supporters of Judge Thomas gathered to show solidarity for the nominee, and…
尽管这个杰出的24码得分
despite this outstanding 24-yard touchdown catch
被跑卫特德·朗抓住
by running back Ted Long.
四分卫凯尔·甘迪在不断地压力下…
Quarterback Cale Gundy was under constant pressure…
这是个很烂的掷球
That was a hell of a throw.
为比赛后期得分勉强的补救
late fumble recovery for the winning touchdown late in the game.
我们在浪费时间
We’re wasting time.
抱歉这样的安排 这是唯一安静的地方
I’m sorry for this setting. It’s the only quiet spot around here.
《使徒行传》中 保罗和西拉如何准备审判?
In Acts, how do Paul and Silas prepare for trial?
他们唱歌♥
They sing.
克拉伦斯在哪?他们准备好了
Where’s Clarence? They’re ready for him.
法官 你发誓说真话
Judge, do you swear to tell the truth,
全部真话 只说真话 苍天可鉴?
the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?
我会
I do.
主席先生 瑟蒙德参议员
Mr. Chairman, Senator Thurmond,
委员会委员们
members of the Committee.
过去两周十分难以度过
As excruciatingly difficult as the last two weeks have been,
我很高兴今天有机会洗刷我的名声
I welcome the opportunity to clear my name today.
我知道安妮塔希尔教授的指控
The first I learned of the allegations by Professor Anita Hill
是1991年9月25日
was on September 25th, 1991,
FBI到我家
when the FBI came to my home
调查她指控的时候
to investigate her allegations.
FBI干员告知指控的性质
When informed by the FBI agent of the nature of the allegations
和指控人时
and the person making them,
我很震惊 惊讶
I was shocked, surprised,
痛苦和非常悲伤
hurt, and enormously saddened.
我无法想象任何我做的事说的话
I cannot imagine anything that I said or did to Anita Hill
会被安妮塔希尔误认为是性骚扰
that could have been mistaken for sexual harassment.
如果这里有任何误解
If there is anything that has been misconstrued
不论是安妮塔希尔或其他任何人
by Anita Hill or anyone else,
那我会说我真的很抱歉 并希望我早点知道
then I can say that I am so very sorry and wish I had known.
非常感谢你打电♥话♥
Thank you so much for calling.
很好 谢谢 这非常有帮助
That’s great. Thank you. It’s very helpful.
好 谢谢
Okay, thanks.
除了我们知道的一个
That’s three more friends of Anita’s
还有三个安妮塔的朋友
in addition to the one we already knew about
记得在托马斯骚扰时她告诉过他们
who remember her telling them at the time that Thomas was harassing her.
去主席办公室 告诉他们我们需要让这些人飞过来
Go to the chairman’s office. Tell them we need to fly these people in.
他们可以一起作证 – 知道了
They can all testify together. – Got it.
或这个国家可以还我清白
or this country can do to give me my good name back.
我不会参与讨论
I am not going to engage in discussions,
也不回答问题 只要它涉及到
nor will I submit to roving questions of what goes on
我私人生活最隐秘的部分
in the most intimate parts of my private life
或我卧室的不可侵犯
or the sanctity of my bedroom.
这些是我隐私的最隐秘部分
These are the most intimate parts of my privacy.
它们将保持隐秘
And they will remain just that.
私人的
Private.
谢谢你 法官 你不会这么被要求
Thank you, Judge. You will not be asked to.
唔…
Um…
他在做什么?
What’s he doing?
认识到除非先有希尔的宣誓陈述
Realizing unless we can introduce Hill’s affidavit,
他没啥可以向托马斯提问的
he’s got nothing to ask Thomas about.
在我开始提问前
Before I begin my questioning,
法官 我要指出本委员会
um, Judge, I just want to point out to the Committee
限制允许的提问
that we are somewhat limited to permissible questions at this stage.
为什么限制?- 我昨天深夜才了解
Limited why? – I understand, as recently as late last night,
希尔教授要求我们对她发言保密
Professor Hill has asked us to maintain the confidentiality of her statement.
我没说这样的话 – 我知道
I said no such thing. – I know.

Hmm.
这是提名过程里的开放讨论
This is an open forum in the nomination process
容许她律师或她…
to allow her attorneys or her…
我说我会在我作证时自己发言
I said I’d present my statement myself when I testified.
拜登改变了规则 他不能怪我
Biden changed the rules. He can’t blame this on me.
我打电♥话♥给他
I’m calling him.
现在这个人的名声已受到严重伤害
Now that this man’s reputation has been very badly hurt…
参议员 你能停下么?- 我还没讲完
Senator, would you please yield? – I’m not finished yet.
她想讲述她自己的故事然后继续保密
She wants to tell her own tale and maintain the confidentiality,
我从拜登主席的描述里得知
I gather from Chairman Biden’s description of this.
拜登刚刚歪曲了信息 因为我的客户没有先来论证
Biden just misrepresented my client as not being forthcoming.
如果他按原来计划让她先讲
If he had stuck with the plan for her to go first,
我们就不会有这样的问题 这不是她的责任
we would not be having this problem. This is not her doing.
好吧 如果希尔教授 允许发布她的证词
Well, if Professor Hill would just allow for her affidavit to be released,
他们就能向托马斯法官提问
then they’d be able to question Judge Thomas.
从来不是这个计划
No. No. That was never the plan.
计划是她个人提出指控
The plan was for her to present her charges in person,
对此她做了充分准备
which she is fully prepared to do.
好吧 那我想她需要现在就来参议院
Okay, well, then I guess we need her here at the Senate building now.
你现在需要拜登澄清这点
And you need to have Biden clarify this now.
好 让她来这里
Fine, yes, just get her over here.
委员会共和党少数派的奥林哈奇
Orrin Hatch of the Republican minority side of the Committee is, for the moment,
暂时主持委员会
taking charge of the Committee.
这是个非凡的发展
This is just an extraordinary development.
参议院委员会一个成员说
When you have a member of a Senate Committee saying
如果你不容许按一定程序进行
“If you don’t allow a certain procedure to take place,
我会从委员会辞职 就像哈奇参议员说的
“I’m gonna resign from the Committee and quit,” as Senator Hatch just did,
这不是每天都发生的事情
now, that doesn’t happen up here every day.
听证会里请安静
Hearing will come to order.
委员会解决僵局的方法如下
Committee has resolved the impasse the following way.
希尔教授在电♥话♥里表示
Professor Hill has indicated on the telephone
她准备发言
that she is prepared to release her statement.
我们将暂时请托马斯法官离席
We will excuse temporarily Judge Thomas,
我们将马上传唤安妮塔希尔 作为证人
and we will call momentarily, as a witness, Anita Hill.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!