But it said, “we can win this war, are winning this war…
你们只要帮忙推销公债
…we just need you to dig a little deeper.”
他们就会给我们钱
They wanna give us that money.
不,他们会给你们钱
No, they want to give it to you.
你们却不要,不想给他们希望
But you don’t want to ask for it, give them hope.
只想解释谁不在照片上
You want to explain about this person and that flag.
这是你们的选择
Well, that’s your choice.
如果我们承认搞了乌龙
Because if we admit we made a mistake, that’s all anybody’ll talk about…
就连一毛钱都募不到
…and that will be that.
各位
Gentlemen.
总统先生,他们来了
Mr. President, here they are.
你们好,幸会了总统先生
– Well, hello. Good to see you. – Mr. President.
很高兴见到你们
Darn good to see you, boys.
听说那场战役很惨烈
Heard you had a hell of a fight on your hands out there, hell of a fight.
你来自亚利桑那州保留区
Ira, you’re off the Gila River Reservation in Arizona, am I right?
是的,总统先生
Yes, Mr. President.
身为印地安人
Being an Indian,
你是更地道的美国人
you are a truer American than any of us.
你的族人一定替你感到骄傲
Bet your people are proud you’re in that uniform.
是的,总统先生
Very proud, sir.
那是应该的
They should be.
谢谢你们大老远跑来帮助我们
Thank you for coming all this way…to washington to help us out.
你们在硫磺岛攻下山头
You fought for a mountain in the Pacific…
现在你们要抢下一座金山
…now we need you to fight for a mountain of cash.
千万别让我们失望
– I don’t expect you’ll let us down.
绝对不会
– No, sir.
绝对不会很好,去吧
– No, sir. – Good. Then go get it.
就这样了
That’s the end of this ceremony.
让我认一认谁是谁
Let’s take a look at this famous photo over here, see if I can pick you out.
老天,那是你
My gosh. There you are.
各位,我请客
Boys. Boys, this one’s on me.
敬死去的同胞弟兄
– To those who can’t be with us.
是,长官
– Yes, sir.
加先生,请你帮我们签名
Excuse me, Mr. Gagnon. May we have your autograph?

I suppose.
你叫什么?
And your name is?
我好像应该去陪他喝酒才对
I get the impression I’m drinking with the wrong heroes.
你是大英雄,见到你真是荣幸
You’re such a hero. I feel honored to be in your presence.
我不是英雄啦
That’s just not true.
他真有一套,来,敬他一杯
That’s professional work. Here, to professionals.
他们在这里
Here they are.
你们是照片上的大兵,对吗?
You’re the guys in the photograph, right?
我听说你们在列车上
I heard you were on the train.
幸会了,我是约翰·田奈
Let me shake your hands. John Tennack.
约翰·布拉德利
John Bradley.
他们都是哈佛和耶鲁的高材生
These boys, Harvard and Yale types,
没打过仗
didn’t fight.
全都是有钱公子哥儿
Pappies all rich sons of bitches.
来跟真正的战争英雄握手
Boys, shake hands with some real war heroes.
失陪了
Excuse me for one moment.
顺便请他们喝一杯
– Buy them a drink while you’re at it.
没错,我请客
– Drinks for these men all the way around.
你是另外一个,对吧?
And you’re the other one,
约翰·田奈,田氏房♥地♥产♥
John Tennack, Tennack Homes.
雷内·加尼翁幸会,喝酒吧
– Rene Gagnon. – Pleased to meet you. Have a drink.
我的名片
And here’s my card.
听我说…
Listen to me, Rene.
这一切结束来找我
When you get finished being famous, you come see me…
你能推销公债,就能推销房♥屋
…because if you can sell bonds, you can sell homes.
我不是盖房♥屋,是运送房♥屋
Now, they’re not gonna build homes anymore, they’re gonna deliver them.
听过预制房♥屋吗?没有
– Heard of prefab homes? – No, sir.
你会的
Well, you will.
名片留着,一定要来找我
And you hang on to that card and you come see me, you hear?
好吗?我一定会
– All right? – Certainly will.
那就这样啦
All right.
没事了
It’s all right.
这真不是盖的,大夫
This sure takes it, huh, Doc?
如果迈克和弟兄们看到我们
If Mike and the guys could see us.
一定不会相信
Yeah, they’d hardly believe it, would they?
哈伦!
Harlon!
富兰克林!
Franklin!
你能想像富兰克林
Can you imagine Franklin…
搭这列火车
…on this train…
坐在餐车用银餐具吃饭吗?
…eating at the dining car with all the silver?
我们不应该在这里的,大夫
We shouldn’t be here, Doc.
艾拉,听说照片是刻意安排的
Ira! Hey, Ira. We heard the picture was posed.
什么?
– What?
听说照片是做出来的
– We heard you posed the picture!
大夫
Hey, Doc.
我们是大英雄耶
We’re bigger than life, Doc.
唱得好谢谢你们
– Hey, good job. – Thank you.
谢啦!小姐们!
Thank you, girls. And now…
现在,大家都等着见到他们
…here are the men you’ve been waiting to meet…
白色雕像的真人版
…the men in white.
请热烈欢迎硫磺岛的英雄们
Right behind me, here, the heroes of lwo Jima:
一等兵雷内·加尼翁
Private First class Rene Gagnon…
一等兵艾拉·海斯
…Private First class Ira Hayes…
海军医护兵约翰
…and Navy corpsman John
“大夫”,布拉德利
“Doc” Bradley!
谢谢大家
Thank you.
感谢各位今晚来支持这场战争
It’s good of you people to come out tonight in support of the war effort.
我们需要你们购买♥♥公债
We really need you to buy bonds, that’s for sure.
没有你们的帮忙就赢不了战争
Because we can’t win the war without your help.
大家说我们是硫磺岛的英雄
As far as us being the heroes of lwo Jima…
并不是真的
…that’s just not the case.
我们其实没做什么
We really didn’t do much at all.
尤其是他
Especially him.
尤其是我
Especially me.
我只是个传令兵
I was just a runner. That’s it.
我们竖立一面国旗
We put up a flag.
旗杆很重,需要好几个人抬
The pole we attached it to was heavy, so it took a number of us.
记者正好在旁边拍下来
We had our picture taken doing it.
真正的英雄在硫磺岛壮烈牺牲
The real heroes are dead on that island.
请为了他们购买♥♥公债,谢谢
And we’d appreciate it if you bought bonds in honor of them. Thank you.
你有奋勇杀敌吗?
Jump on any grenades, Ira?
你有炸掉机关枪吗?
Take out any machine gun nests I missed?
至少我开了枪少来了
– At least I fired my weapon. – All right, knock it off.
你醉到什么都射不中
You hit anything or were you too drunk then too?
给我住手
Hey, hey, hey. Guys! Come on.
住手,别打了
Stop it. Knock it off.
雷内,坐这里,你坐中间
Sit between these two boys.
他们需要我们的帮忙
– For us and they need our help.
大家仔细想想就会知道
And if you think about it, I think you’ll realize…
购买♥♥战争公债不只是做好事
…that buying more bonds is not just the right thing to do…
而是唯一能做的事
…but the only thing to do.
这场战争拖了太久了
Yes, this war has gone on too long.
美国牺牲了太多条人命
We have given too many lives.
我们付出…
And its cost…
巧克力还是草莓?草莓
– chocolate or strawberry, sir? – Strawberry.
…惨痛的代价
– Has been far too high. But if we waver now…
如果我们不撑下去
…if we don’t dig deep
掏出更多钱支持这场战争
and give more than we think we can…
这些惨痛代价就会白白浪费
…then those sacrifices would be wasted…
巧克力或草莓?
– chocolate or strawberry, sir?
那么多条人命也会白白牺牲
…and those lives lost in vain.
前进!快!快!
Move! Go, go!
E6,这是E2,坦克在哪里?
Easy Six, this is Easy Two, over. Where the hell are our tanks?
陷入沙坑,少校叫你们前进
Stuck in the sand. Captain says go without them.
天啊
Christ.
你每次都带来坏消息,雷内
Real good work you’re doing there, Rene.
准备前进,传话下去

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!