Why would I want to talk to David Frost?
一段时间以前他写信来 希望能得到一个专访
Well, a while back, he wrote asking for an interview.
不行
No.
我们后来没理他
Well, we didn’t get back to him.
实话说 我当时觉得他不靠谱
Frankly, we didn’t find him appropriate.
我以为要和CBS做专访
Well, I thought that we were doing one with CBS.
对 但我觉得如果和福斯特做
We are. I just figured doing it with Frost
一定会比和迈克·华♥莱♥士♥轻松得多
would be a whole lot easier than doing it with Mike Wallace.
是没错 但是相对来说 可信度也会比较低
It would, but it would have a lot less, you know, credibility.
对 对 可能能多点钱
True, true. Could probably get more money.
-是吗 -您看
Really? Look.
我们总之是可以从CBS那里拿到35万
We’ll always have 350 on the table from CBS.
如果能从福斯特那里赚更多 同时为我们讲到更好的条件
But if I could get Frost to pay more and secure better terms,
也许错过就太可惜了
it might be a shame to pass.
我想知道他现在在哪里
It’d be interesting to know where he is right now.
我们试过把他绑在火车轨道上 他安全逃脱
We tied him to railway tracks, and he escaped.
我们也试过把他活生生埋起来 他再次逃出
We buried him alive, and he walked free.
今天我们把逃脱大♥师♥德里克·哈里森沉入海底
Today we’re lowering escape artist Derek Harrison into the water
看看他是否能再次 躲过死亡的魔掌
to see if he can miraculously cheat death once more.
晚上好 欢迎收看”胜利大逃亡”
Good evening, and welcome to Great Escapes.
我是戴维·福斯特
My name is David Frost.
好的 这一段过了
DIRECTOR: Okay, that is a cut.
谢谢
Thank you.
在任何一种交易中 你都必须清楚对手的极限
In any deal, you need to know your opponent’s breaking point.
调查的方法有例如
To assess that, you might call them
在半夜或者周末打给他
late at night or at the weekend.
他如果接了 就证明他比你更急切
If they take the call, you know they’re desperate.
从这一刻起 你就知道 条件随你开了
And from that moment on, you know you have the upper hand.
(PHONE RINGING)
喂?
Hello?
福斯特先生吗? 我是艾文·拉扎尔
Mr. Frost? Irving Lazar.
谁?
Who?
史威夫蒂·拉扎尔 我代表尼克松总统
Swifty Lazar. I represent President Nixon.
现在几点了?
What time is it?
是不是打得不是时候?
Bad time?
不! 完全不会
(STUTTERING) No! Not at all.
我打这通电♥话♥是关于 你提出专访的要求
I’m calling with regard to your request for an interview
经过考虑
and to say, having considered it,
我的客户并不反对这个提议
my client is not necessarily opposed to the idea.
真的吗 那真是好消息啊!
Really? Well, that’s terrific news!
看在上帝的份上
For God’s sake.
我谈到了50万
SWIFTY. I got $500,000.
算多的么
Is that good?
总统先生 这可是一百万的一半了 只是个新闻访谈
Mr. President, it’s a half a million dollars for a news interview.
前无先例啊
It’s unprecedented.
是吗 那有什么诡诈呢
Yeah? Well, what’s the catch?
和福斯特? 什么也没有 他都会顺着您的
With Frost? None. It’ll be a big wet kiss.
得到这个机会他就感恩戴德了
This guy’ll be so grateful to be getting it at all,
他整晚都会丢给您软球
he’ll pitch puffballs all night
然后付您50万的宠幸费
and pay a half a million dollars for the privilege.
你觉得能不能拿到55万?
Well, you think you could get 550?
我谈到了60万
I got 6.
-戴维 你怎么可以这么做 -怎么做
BIRT: David, how could you have done that? What?
60万 不是一笔小数
$600,000. That’s a fortune.
签个合约就20万?
200 on signature?
不要为钱的事担心
Don’t worry about the money.
天啊 大部分美国人认为他应该去坐牢
My God. Most Americans think he belongs in jail.
而你却把大把银子把他手里塞
You’re making him a rich man.
而且 你用高出价打败的那些电视台 都已经对你存有敌意了
Plus, by outbidding them, you’ve already made enemies
他们只是嫉妒罢了
of the networks. They’re just jealous.
他们在到处宣扬你所谓的金援新闻
They’re already sounding off about checkbook journalism.
如果电视网抵♥制♥你
And if the networks are against you,
你的访谈就永远联合播出
syndication’s always going to be a struggle.
无法同步播放 就没有合约可以签
No syndication, no advance sales.
没有合约 就没有广♥告♥
No advance sales, no commercials.
没有广♥告♥ 就没有收入
No commercials, no revenue.
还有一个更大的问题 为什么一定要做? 你并不需要
And here’s the bigger question, why do it? You don’t need it.
你的职业生涯很平稳
Your career’s in great shape.
这不过会让你的知名度 扩散到三个大♥陆♥而已
This will just spread you across three continents,
还会影响你其他的节目
jeopardize the other shows.
澳大利亚的第九台
Isn’t it true that Channel Nine in Australia
不是有让你续约下一季的脱口秀吗
want you to do another season of your talk show for them?
-是啊 -还有伦敦 对不对
Yes. And London, too?
对 不过那只是伦敦和澳大利亚
Yes, but that would be London and Australia.
-但这会是… -什么?
This would be… What?
你不会懂的 约翰
You wouldn’t understand, John.
你从没参加过纽约的节目
You were never part of the show in New York,
简直无法形容
but it’s indescribable.
在美国获得成功 与在其他任何地方都不同
Success in America is unlike success anywhere else.
还有失去之后的失落感
And the emptiness when it’s gone.
想着它可能永远都不会再来了…
And the sickening thought that it may never come back.
你知道吗 纽约有间餐厅叫做萨蒂
You know, there’s a restaurant in New York called Sardi’s.
普通人是进不去的
Ordinary mortals can’t get a table.
约翰 那里我如踏平地!
John, the place was my canteen!
你知道吗 我会更放心的
You know, I’d be happier
如果我能听到一些
if I heard some kind of vision
你对这次专访的构想
that you had for this interview.
抱歉打搅 福斯特先生
MAN: Excuse me, Mr. Frost.
我听说你会来这里
I’d heard you were going to be here.
-可以签个名吗 -当然
Would you mind? Of course.
但我没有听到 我只听到一个
But I don’t. I just hear a man doing it
为了上头条
because it would create headlines
或是能进入上流餐厅而去做的人
or give him a place at the top table.
这让我感到不安
And that is what makes me nervous.
你最擅长的就是不安了 约翰
And you do nervous so beautifully, John.
“大家晚上好 欢迎来到这里”
“Hello, good evening and welcome.”
(FROST LAUGHS)
我没这么说过
I don’t actually say that.
你好 福特斯先生
Hello, Mr. Frost.
需要香槟吗
Champagne?
不用了 谢谢
CAROLINE: No, thank you.
要续杯吗
FLIGHT ATTENDANT: Another glass, sir?
香槟不合你口味?
You don’t like champagne?
在飞机上我不喝
Not on airplanes.
是啊 会导致缺水 那很糟糕
Yes, it dehydrates one terribly.
解决办法是同时喝杯水
The trick is to have a glass of water on the go, too.
就像维亚纳人喝咖啡时候那样
Like the Viennese serve coffee.
我从没去过维也纳
Well, I’ve never been to Vienna.
是吗 你会喜欢那里的
Oh. Well, you’d like it.
就像是巴黎 不过那儿不说法语
It’s like Paris without the French.
你叫什么名字?
What’s your name?
卡罗琳
Caroline.
戴维
David.
我知道 你是戴维·福斯特
Yes, I know. David Frost.
“大家晚上好 欢迎来到这里”
“Hello and good evening and welcome.”
我最近才收听了你的一个电台访问
You know, I heard an interview with you recently on the radio.
你当时开着劳斯莱斯车
You were giving it from the back of your Rolls-Royce.
是宾利车
Bentley.
通过电♥话♥接受访问
On the phone.
他们形容你是
They said that you were a person
这个时代的标志性人物
who defined the age we live in.
-是吗 -嗯
Really? Mmm.
你和维达·沙宣
You and Vidal Sassoon.
你的特殊之处 据他们说
But what made you exceptional, they said,
是你可以毫无半点才能
was that you were a person who had achieved great fame
却获得美誉
without possessing any discernible quality.
-他们真是太好人了 -是啊
How kind. Mmm-hmm.
还说你经常飞来飞去
And that you fly around a great deal.
这倒是真的
Well, that’s true.
为什么?
Why?
我喜欢忙碌
I like to keep busy.
为什么?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!