but whose quality of life gets worse.
他们会抱怨说肌肉酸痛
They complain about muscle pain,
觉得疲劳
they complain about fatigue,
会变得健忘
they complain about being forgetful.
反馈回来各种各样的问题
They complain about a range of different problem
而这些都是药物引起的
that are being caused by the drugs.
你有两个选择 英年早逝
You may have a choice – a shorter life
或是饱受折磨地长命百岁
or possibly a longer one that maybe isn’t quite as much fun.
我就尝过副作用的厉害
I get side effects.
你的肌肉会感到疼痛
You get a muscle problem where your muscles ache
有时甚至会痉挛 但也不全是坏事
and sometimes you get cramps, but there are benefits.
你知道它们会减少中风的几率
You know they, they contribute to less strokes, for instance,
所以 你会怎么抉择呢
so how do you balance it out?
我不知道
I don’t know.
毫无疑问 我们就是小白鼠
We are the guinea pigs, without a doubt.
但我们中很多人必须要对它进行权衡
But it’s a trade-off many more of us may have to consider.
最近被广为宣称的说法是
It has been proposed fairly recently that
所有超过50岁的男性
all men over the age of 50 and
和超过60的女性
all women over the age of 60
都需要服用抑制素
should be taking a statin
不论他们的胆固醇水平如何
no matter what their cholesterol levels are
都用一个通用的处方来降低
as a blanket prescription to reduce
心脏病和中风的发作几率
their risk of heart attack and stroke in future.
对一些人来说 受众范围的扩大
For some, this widening of the net is just
正代表了医药工业的前进方向
symptomatic of the way the pharmaceutical industry is moving.
大约在二十年前
From about 20 years ago or so,
他们开始从研发针对特定疾病的药物
they moved from trying to produce drugs
转向预防疾病的药物
that treated real illnesses to drugs that treated risk factors.
即使是一些坚信抑制素疗效的人
Even those who soundly believe in the
也对医疗产业的快速变化持谨慎态度
benefits of statins are wary of how medicine is changing.
过去的几十年里 你的病情由医生诊断
In decades gone by, you would be assessed by your doctor.
你告诉他你的症状
You’d tell him your symptoms,
他会做检查 做相关测试
he’d do the examinations, he’d do the lab tests
然后你才会得到处方
and then you’d get the prescription and only then,
但现在的理念成了
whereas now the idea seems to
只要你活着 你到了一定年纪
be that “You’re alive, you’re breathing, you’re 52”.
你最好就要开始吃抑制素
You’d better start taking
来降低胆固醇含量
the statins to lower your cholesterol level,
不是因为这对你有好处
“Not because it’s good for you but because
而是对所有人都有好处 你也在其中
it’s good for everybody and you are part of everybody.”
这一定是制药公♥司♥的梦想
Now that must be a drug company’s dream,
因为如果你有一种药物
because if you’ve got a
其受众并不是患病的人群
pill that’s not designed to treat sick people
而是所有人
but a pill that’s designed for everybody,
你必将获得巨大成功
you must be onto a winner.
我们所经历的改变
What we’ve moved from is a world
是从认为药物有毒害作用
in which we thought that drugs were poisons
我们只在一种情况下服用药物
and the art of medicine was to make sure
那就是病人出现严重病症
that the person had a reasonably serious condition
严重到
that posed risks,
我们不得不承担药物所带来的风险
that justified the risk we knew came with the pills,
改变为 药物被我们视作一种肥料
to a world where the drugs are now viewed as fertilisers.
如果你适当使用
They can do no harm if you
就不会带来伤害
just sprinkle them around the place widely.
我完全不介意吃药
I don’t mind popping pills at all.
我不觉得这有什么不好
It doesn’t bother me, it doesn’t worry me.
我觉得自己需要药物维持
I think I’m being kept alive artificially.
我觉得 到了我这个年纪
I think the biblical span of life tells you that at my age,
很多人可能已经去世
one’s usually, you know, gone.
我讨厌吃药
I hate taking them,
老实讲 如果你真想知道
to be quite honest, if you want the truth.
我真讨厌吃药
I really hate taking pills
可是 我必须吃药
at all because it’s really against my grain
这着实叫我觉得不情愿
that, you know, I’m needing to take them.
等你到了70岁左右的年纪
By the time you’re in your 70s,
你每天至少要吃5颗药
you’re likely to be taking at least five pills every day.
如果吃药能使我更健康
If it keeps me healthier than I
头脑更灵活
would otherwise be, and hopefully mentally alert,
那它就起到功效
then, you know, it’s doing its job
我就不胜感激了
and thank you very much.
但我内心认为药物是不好的
I believe in my heart that it’s not good.
我觉得吃药不是件好事情
I don’t think it’s a good thing.
我们不该服用药物
We’re not meant to take them.
过去的人们从不吃药 他们顺其自然
In the old days, they didn’t take them. They just died, you know.
我不喜欢吃药 但是 我
I don’t like it but I… I am…
这是我生活的一部分
It’s part of my life.
实际上 这就是我全部的生活
It is my life, actually.
数百万人每天靠服药
Millions of people turn
来延长他们的生命
to pills every day to prolong their lives,
但也有些人 比如约翰·斯图尔特
but there are some who believe medicine
认为药物能用来结束他们的生命
could also be used to bring it to an end, like John Stuwart.
如果世上有如此简单的药物
If there was such a thing as a simple pill that you could take,
配上一大杯苏格兰威士忌服下
preferably with a large Scotch,
就能让你长睡不醒
and go to sleep and not wake up,
不知多少人想要得到这样的机会
a lot of people would prefer that,
利用这样的机会
in fact would leap at the chance.
约翰是临终关怀组织的成员
John is a member of Exit International,
这是一个特殊的组织
an organisation that aims
宗旨是帮助人们在他们选定的时间里
to help people find a way to kill themselves
以有尊严的方式自杀
in a dignified way at a time of their choosing.
当我认为有必要这么做时
I want to be able to have the choice,
我希望自己拥有决定权
when I do feel it’s necessary to take that choice,
我不想把这样的权利交给大自然
and I don’t want to leave it either to nature
或者是某个看着我在家中
or to somebody to sort of see me through
痛苦地渡过最后几年的家人
my last few years in a state of misery in some sort of home.
我想要自己决定离开的时间和地点
I want to be able to decide where and when I go,
而且我希望其他人也有这个权利
and I want other people to have that right as well.
过量服用任何药物都会是致命的
An overdose of anything will be fatal.
但是 成员所希望的
But what many Exit members want is a
是一种能在平静中结束他们生命的药物
simple pill that can end their lives in a peaceful way.
但实际上这没有听上去这样简单
But that’s not as easy as it sounds.
没有制药公♥司♥能将这一想法实现
No pharmaceutical company can entertain the idea,
所以一群老年人
so a bunch of octogenarians
翻出他们高中时代的化学书
have dug out their old high school chemistry books
想要自己动手做出这样的药物
and are trying to create one, just for themselves.
尽管花费时间和大量的金钱在这个项目上
Despite spending years and thousands of pounds on the project,
化学小组还没有找到解决方法
the Exit chemistry group haven’t yet created a solution.
但对这种安宁剂的搜寻还在继续
But the search for what they call a peaceful pill goes on.
人们也曾质疑过
People have asked if it’s wrong to
用原本用以维持我们生命的药物
use medicines which have kept us alive all our lives
来结束我们生命 是不是错误的
to bring an end to our lives.
我希望我们拥有决定权
I want us to have the choice,
如果能有这样一种药物
and if there are medicines
或者方法能帮我们结束生命
or methods which we can use to do that,
有尊严地结束生命
with dignity above all,
那我们希望能有做此选择的权利
then we want the right to make that choice.
未来的某一天 安宁剂
One day, the peaceful pill could
可能会成为你不加思索就服下的
be the last of the 14,000 you may have taken,
一盒又一盒的
packets and packets of pills
近14000颗药片里的最后一片
you’ve probably popped without even thinking,
但是 你应该多思索一些吗
but should you be thinking about it more?
如果一种药没有副作用
You show me a drug with no side effects,
那么它也不会有什么疗效
I’ll show you a drug with no benefits.
药物和毒品的不同就在于剂量
The difference between a drug and a poison is basically the dose.
我疼得厉害 有强烈恶心感
It was so painful, I couldn’t walk
简直无法走路
or I’d be violently sick
我会打寒颤 心跳得厉害
and I got the shivers and my heart would race like crazy.
我想 上帝 这只不过是止痛药
And I thought, “Christ, these are just painkillers,” You know.
但是药物有着治疗的功效
But medicines have the power to cure…
并且改善我们的生活质量
And improve the quality of our lives.
新的药物将被不断开♥发♥

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!