[Phone rings]
[Tommy] Hello?
[Branch]‘Hey, guys. It’s John Branch from “The NY Times”.
嗨,哥们,我是《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的John Branch
‘How’s it going up there?’
你们怎样?
[Tommy] Good, John.
挺好,John
[Branch]‘How high up are you guys right now?’
哥们,你们现在位置多高?
[Tommy] We are about 1,200 feet up the wall at our base camp.
我们在1200英尺高的黎明墙(Dawn Wall)基地大本营
This has been our home for nine days now.
目前也是我们九天中的家
[Branch]‘Tommy, I guess the bottom line question here,
Tommy,我想问,最根本的是
‘why are you doing this?
为何你们这么做?
‘What’s the point of all this for you?’
对于你们这意味着什么?
[Presenter 1] On the air tonight with a story of two men
今晚的故事是,空中的两位
attempting to free climb the famously steep face
正在著名的加州优胜美地国家公园 (Yosemite )陡峭的El Capitan 岩墙 (世界上最大单体花岗岩)
of El Capitan in Yosemite.
进行徒手攀岩
[Presenter 2]
Inch by nerve-racking inch,
一英寸接着恼人的一英寸
using only their fingertips to grasp razor sharp edges.
用他们的指尖去抓握住刀片般的锋利岩石边缘
[Presenter 3]Tommy Caidwell and Kevin Jorgeson
Tommy Caidwell和 Kevin Jorgeson
attempt the hardest climb in the world.
在进行世上最艰难的攀岩
[Presenter 4] No one has ever free-climbed the Dawn Wall.
从未有人徒手攀爬过黎明墙 (the Dawn Wall)
[Presenter 5] 3,000 feet of straight-up granite.
它是3000英尺高、直上直下的单体花岗岩
[Presenter 6] A climb watched by the world.
这次攀岩,全球都在观看中
[Presenter 7] These guys have captured the world’s attention.
他们俩也吸引了全球关注
[Presenter 8] They’re trying to make history.
他们想要创造历史
[Presenter 9] El Capitan’s infamous Dawn Wall.
El Capitan 名声在外的黎明墙
[Mom]As a kid, Tommy was slow at everything.
Tommy 从小就样样迟缓
He had a lot of difficulty in school.
他在学校也有挺多困难
The teachers actually at one point told us
老师有次告诉我们
that he was mentally retarded and would never learn.
他可能智力迟缓,很难学会什么
I was developmentally delayed through… probably still.
我一直都发展延迟 ……可能都静止了
I was this very fragile little kid
打小就很脆弱
incredibly shy.
还异常羞怯
But meanwhile, my dad was, like, the symbol of a man.
与此同时,我老爸却是人中龙凤
He was this big bodybuilder dude and mountain climber.
他是大大有名的健美明星和登山选手
Larger than life.
生活的强者
[Dad]Tommy was small.
Tommy 那时很小
He was way behind.
远远落在别人后面
Didn’t crawl until he was over two.
两岁多才学会爬着走
[Tommy] I think my dad felt
我猜我老爹是这么想的:
the best way to prepare this fragile little kid for the world
培养这个脆弱小仔的最好方法是
was to toughen him up a little bit.
要对他严厉一点
So he took me on all these adventures.
所以他带着我去参加所有的冒险运动
[Dad]Three years old, strap on the skis.
三岁时,被困在滑雪中
[Tommy] Camping in a snow cave during a blizzard.
暴风雪期间,也到雪窟里去露营
Every summer, we’d go to Yosemite with my family,
每年夏天,全家一起去优胜美地
and my dad would take me climbing on these giant walls.
我老爹就带我去爬那些巨大的岩墙
Some of the craziest climbing stunts you could ever do
有些最惊人的攀岩特技,别人不敢做的
and he did it with a six-year-old.
他让六岁的我去做。
[Kelly]The things that Tommy’s dad took him on,
Tommy 老爹带他做的那些动作,
today you would have Child Protective Services
到如今看,儿童保护中心
coming after you.
都会在身后来追诉的
He basically took hardship and rephrased it as growth.
他本质上就是把艰难困苦,演绎为成长中的一环
[Tommy]He was loving, but he definitely let me suffer.
我老爹很萌,不过他铁了心是要让我吃些苦的。
The word that was in my mind was resilience.
在我心里,那个词叫做弹性。
It seems to me one of the best gifts you can give your kid
对我而言,给子女最好的礼物,
is an ability to deal with adversity.
莫过于处于逆境时的应对能力
[Tommy] By the time I was 14 or 15,
当我14或15岁时
there was climbs that I could do that my dad couldn’t.
有一场攀岩比赛,我可以参加,我老爹不可以
[Dad]Tommy’s strong.
Tommy很强大的
[Tommy]Climbing was the first thing in my life
攀岩是我生命的头等大事
where I could stand out a little bit.
因为我可以比别人强出去一点点
[Mom] Airight. Woo!
好棒
[Dad]So Tommy was 16,
Tommy16岁时,
and Snowbird held the Snowbird Invitational that year.
雪鸟城组织举♥行♥了一场雪鸟邀请赛
[Tommy]This big climbing competition.
那是一次大型攀岩竞赛
We thought we’d drive over there and watch the comp
我们本以为就是开车去看比赛的
and get some autographs.
得到一些签名
[Tommy] We just went there to be fans, really.
真是,本来准备去当粉丝的
[Dad] And the day before the big competition,
结果,大赛的前一天
they had a Citizens’ Comp that anybody who shows up can enter.
他们在Citizens’ Comp会议上决定,任何去现场的都可以参赛
[Tommy] So I entered that, my first competition ever.
所以,我就参加了。我的平生第一次参赛
[Dad]Well, Tommy won.
昂,Tommy 赢了比赛
And I don’t know if this was an official policy
我不知这是不是官方规则
or just something they dreamt up on the spot,
还是当场他们随意的决定
but they asked Tommy
那会儿他们问Tommy
if he wanted to enter the World Invitational the next day.
他能否参加第二天的世界邀请赛
Hello, everyone. I’m James Brown,
大家好,我是James Brown
and welcome to Snowbird, Utah,
欢迎来到犹他州的雪球城
for the International Sport Climbing Championship.
观看国际体育攀岩冠军杯赛
[Presenter] Expert climbers will test their skills
专业攀岩者将运用他们的技术
against a man-made 120-foot wall.
攀爬120英尺的人造岩体
[Dad] There were 12 competitors.
总共有12名参赛者
-[Tommy]The icons of climbing.
-[Dad]and it was so intimidating.
攀岩图标
很吓人
[Tommy] Nobody had ever heard of me.
那时没人知晓我
I was just this scrawny little kid.
我只是一个瘦弱的小孩
I was videoing Tommy as he goes climbing up this thing.
Tommy攀爬时,我在给他录像
[Dad] Come on, Tommy.
加油,Tommy
[Dad] He got past the final roof.
他越过了最后的终点
So Tommy’s winning.
Tommy是冠军
[Man]Airight, Tommy!
Tommy,真棒
And I started shaking.
我都发抖了
I just dropped the camera.
摄像机也摔掉了下去
I mean I completely lost it.
呃,我意思是,我整个没抓住摄像机。
[Dad]Tommy got to the top.
Tommy到达顶端终点时
The only climber to complete this climb.
是唯一一个完成全部攀岩的选手
So all of a sudden,
Tommy went from nobody at all
Tommy从默默无闻
to winner of Snowbird
变成雪鸟城的攀岩冠军
[Mom] I mean, that was just unbelievable.
真是不可思议
It changed his whole life.
完全改变了他的生命
[KeIIy] Tommy became known
Tommy变成了
as one of the best young climbers.
最佳的年轻攀岩家之一
But he didn’t grow up
但,他并没有
the way most of us do.
以我们一般成长的方式长大
Through high school he didn’t have girlfriends.
整个高中时期,他没有女友
He didn’t have a social life. He just went climbing.
他没有社交圈生活。他就是一个劲的攀岩
[PA, indistinctl
[Tommy] I was doing this series of competitions,
在一系列的攀岩竞赛中
and I met this girl, Beth.
我遇到了Beth
She just caught my attention totally. I was like, “Woah!”
老天,她完全吸引住我
Tommy just had this really big, goofy, endearing grin.
Tommy笑容灿烂、笨拙、隐忍♥
We both lived and breathed climbing.
我们俩都以攀岩为生命
[KeIIy] Tommy’s this climbing savant,
Tommy有了攀岩同伴专家
and then he meets Beth, the female version of himself.
他遇见Beth,就像遇见他自己的女性版
He’s head over heels.
简直喜不自禁
[Tommy] I just found ways to go wherever she was.
只要她去的地方,我都设法过去
-OK?
-Yeah.
[Tommy] I found out she was going to Yosemite,
我发现她要去优胜美地
so I followed her out there.
就一路追随过去
We ended up climbing a big wall together.
我们一起攀爬完成一块大岩墙
You know, we were next to each other all the time.
是呀,我们一直并肩攀爬
24 hours a day together.
24小时在一起
[Beth]Sleeping 1,000 feet off the ground on this portaledge,
睡在离地1000英尺的半空中,在可折叠悬挂帐篷里
which is like a hanging cot.
就像是悬挂式的小床
[Tommy] You sleep head to toe. There’s just more room that way.
如果头脚接踵的话,也还有一点空间
So I laid down,
所以我躺下了
and she laid down the same way that I was,
她也像我一样躺下
with her head at the same end.
头并头地躺下
And I was pretty excited by this.
当时我特别激动
I was like “Ooh, goodness. This is getting exciting.”
我想,老天,真是太兴奋了
I just hadn’t been in love before,
之前我从没有爱过谁
and I just fell hardcore, right off the bat.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!