In a four-year study,
有1000人被安排
1,000 people were made to exercise
连续20周 每周锻炼1小时
four hours a week for 20 weeks.
尽管平均来说 他们的身材变好了
And though, on average, their fitness improved,
当杰明观察具体数据时
when Jamie looked at the data in detail,
他发现人们对于
he found people responded very differently
同样运动量有着非常不同的反应
to exactly the same amount of training.
如果你也看看这1000人的数据
And if you look at the data, say, from 1,000 people,
你会发现我们绘制了这样一幅图
what you find is that we’ve got a graph that’s a bit like this.
有些人在这一块
So there are some people over here
-在锻炼中获益匪浅 -是的
– getting one hell of a lot of benefit from it. – Yeah.
这些人的反应特别显著
These guys here are super responders.
-这一块的人们 -没有变化
– These guys here, no change. – Right.
这两个区域一共有多少人
How many people fall into these two groups?
大概20%的人群
That’s about 20% of the population
最上面这块 大约占15%
and the upper end, the extreme, is about 15%.
我必须说 这是很恐怖的统计
That is one hell of a scary statistic, I have to say.
杰明与其同事
Jamie and his collaborators
调查了产生这些区别的原因
investigated the reasons for these variations
并发现许多原因都与11种基因有关
and discovered much of it can be traced to just 11 genes.
他们现在开♥发♥出了一项基因测试
They’ve now developed a genetic test
这能够预测个人对于锻炼的反应
that can predict how an individual will respond.
我想要成为这其中之一
I want to be in that group.
不想成为这其中之一
I don’t want to be in this group.
我如何知道我是否有可能落入这一区域呢
How do I know if I’m likely to be in that group or not?
有一种方法是做一个血液检测
Well, one way of doing it is we can take a blood test now
我们可以检测一些基因周围的DNA序列
and we can test for the DNA sequences around the genes
我们认为这些基因对这种适应性非常重要
that we know are important for this adaptation.
好的
Right.
或者我们可以让你进行20周的
Or we can put you through 20 weeks
真实的高♥强♥度训练
of really intense, hard slog and training
从而得出你属于哪一部分
and find out which end of the spectrum you belong to.
好吧 我比较倾向于基因检测
OK, I think I prefer the gene test.
谢谢
Thank you, wow,
这真的很惊人
that is striking.
即使是反应不显著的人也能从锻炼中获得好处
Even a fitness non-responder will get some benefit from exercise.
认识这一点意味着
And identifying them means
你有别的提高身体健康状态的方法
you can offer other ways of improving health.
这种方法♥会♥带来很大的改变
This type of approach would be an absolute sea change
因为现在
because at the moment,
公众健康建议只是简单的
the public health message is simply a sort of
“大众适用的方法”
“One size fits all.”
真的 我们必须把锻炼看作
Really, we have to think of exercise
提高健康众多方法中的一个
as just one other way of improving our health
因此我们需要
and therefore, we need to
为个人量身定制方法
tailor it to the needs of that individual.
这非常有趣
That was really interesting.
杰明让我对很多锻炼方面的事产生了疑问
Jamie made me question quite a number of things
我本以为我很了解
I thought I really knew about exercise.
比如说 我以为
For example, I assumed that
锻炼越多 对人越好
the more exercise you do, the better it was for you.
但是 这可能不是真的
Well, that may not necessarily be true.
但是另一件真正让我感到吃惊的事是
But the other thing which really surprised me
基因对于
was how far genetics has gone
提高我们对锻炼的理解有多大作用
in improving our understanding of exercise.
我们已经明确
We’re already pointing
走向了一个私人医疗的时代
firmly towards an era of personalised medicine.
同样我们可能
It could be we will also
很快也会进入一个私人锻炼的时代
shortly be in the era of personalised exercise.
明天早上 我将会去实验室
In the morning, I’m going to visit the lab.
除了提取我的DNA样本
As well as taking a sample of my DNA,
杰明还将向我介绍
Jamie’s going to introduce me
一种全新省时的锻炼方法
to a radical time-saving exercise routine.
别再说什么每周几小时了
Forget several hours a week,
我们现在要说的是每周几分钟
we’re talking just a few minutes a week.
听起来好得不真实
Sounds too good to be true.
现在是早上
Well, it’s morning time
我马上就要去实验室了
and I’m about to go off to the lab
在那里他们正在进行许多试验
where they’re going to run a whole lot of tests.
很显然 我必须禁食
Apparently, I have to do that fasting
十小时左右 所以我什么也没吃
so for the last ten hours or so I’ve been eating nothing,
只喝了一点美味的水
just sipping delicious water.
这将会是一个新开始
It’s going to be the beginning, also,
同时也是一个全新 短时间 刺♥激♥
of a new, short, sharp
且非常残酷的锻炼方案 他们是这样说得
and rather brutal exercise regime, I’m told.
我有点期待 但也有点紧张
I’m sort of looking forward to it, but I’m also a bit anxious
因为我不知道他们会从
because I don’t know what they’re going to find
我的血液检测中发现什么
when they do the blood test.
不知怎地 我在抽血时屏住了呼吸[紧张]
For some reason, I’m holding my breath while you take the blood.
所以这就是用于DNA检测的血液 是吗
So that’s the stuff that’s going off for the DNA test, is it?
这就是用于DNA检测的血液
That is the stuff that’s going off to the DNA test.
事实上 在我们的临床研究之外
Actually, outside our clinical studies,
你是我们以独♥立♥方式
you’re the first volunteer we’re applying the test to
应用测试的第一个志愿者
in an independent way like this.
在杰明让我进行他简短刺♥激♥的方案之前
Before Jamie puts me on his short, sharp regime,
他想要测试两个最重要的健康因素
he wants to measure two of the most important health factors
这些因素通过锻炼
‘that can be dramatically improved
-可以得到巨大的提高 -别洒了
– through exercise.’ – Don’t spill any.
这里面有多少勺糖
How many teaspoons of sugar in here?
-15勺 不是吗 -15
– That’s 15, isn’t it? – 15?!
是的
Yes.
第一个是我的胰岛素敏感度
The first is my insulin sensitivity.
胰岛素可以将糖分从血液中移除
Insulin removes sugar from the blood,
它能控制脂肪
it controls fat,
如果胰岛素失效 你就会得糖尿病
and when it becomes ineffective, you become diabetic.
杰明给了我一杯糖水
I’m given a sugary drink
接下来两小时 他们将抽取常规样本
and over the next two hours, they take regular samples
来看看
to see how quickly my
我的胰岛素移除血液中糖分的速度
insulin gets rid of that sugar from my blood.
好吧 结果并不完美
Well. The news is not perfect
但是我们可以从这个图中看到
but what we can see from this graph,
正如我们预期 你的血糖有明显升高
your blood glucose obviously went up as we expect,
然后它慢慢地下降
and then it slowly drifted down,
刚好在我们称为耐糖量异常的水平之下
just below the level we would call impaired glucose tolerance.
所以你刚刚处于健康范围
So you’re just within the healthy range.
-刚刚 -只是刚刚
– Just. – But only just.
我们想要看到的是 假如说 这很好
And what we’d like to do is see this, presumably…that’s fine,
但我真正想看到的应该是像这样
but what I actually want to do is see sometng more like that.
是的 这也是
Exactly. And that’s what
我们希望锻炼能够解决的问题
we hope the exercise intervention will solve.
这给我的锻炼
Well, that gives me a great
-很大动力 不是吗 -是的
– deal of incentive to do it, doesn’t it? – Yes.
第二个重要因素是我的有氧适能
The second important factor is my aerobic fitness,
我的心肺功能在吸收氧气这一方面表现如何
how good my heart and lungs are at getting oxygen into my body.
加油 迈克尔 加油
Come on, Michael! Come on!
你可以的 继续
You can do it. A bit more!
加油 迈克尔 继续
Come on, Michael. Keep going!
继续
Keep going.
好了 非常棒
OK, excellent.
杰明现在测得
Jamie now has a measure
我的身体能够使用的氧气最大值
of the maximum amount of oxygen my body is able to use
我的最大摄氧量
my VO2 max.
这不只是一个健康指标
It’s not just an indicator of how fit I am,
同样也能够有力预测我未来的健康
but also a powerful predictor of future health.
好了
Right,
谢谢你的鼓励
OK, thanks for the encouragement.
按你的体重 最大摄氧量为37毫升每千克
When it’s scaled to your body weight, it’s 37 mils per kg.
奥林匹克运动员可能可以达到75
And an Olympic athlete might be something like 75…
但是大部分人可能只有20毫升
But many people in the population are in the 20s.
这为什么很重要
Why does it matter?
-对于健康而言 -是的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!