and causing you to stop exercise.
这就是我们要测试的
That’s what we’re testing.
好吧 那里是什么
OK, so what’s happening in there?
正如你所见 我们为你准备了一个自行车
As you can see we’ve got a bike ready for you to do some cycling.
这是一个低压氧舱
This is a hypoxic chamber,
所以那里的含氧量被降低了
so the oxygen levels in here have been lowered.
目前含氧量 14.2%
里面的含氧量为14%
So inside it’s 14% oxygen,
而外面我们所呼吸的空气
and the air we’re breathing now
含氧量为21%
outside the chamber is 21%.
这相当于多高
So what is the equivalent in height?
高度3078米
3千米处的含氧量约为14%
14% is around 3,000m.
珠穆朗玛峰营地的海拔为5千米
So, Everest base camp is 5,000m
所以你正在朝着珠穆朗玛峰营地前进
so you’re well on your way up to Everest base camp.
你要加入我吗
Are you going to be joining me?
宝宝需要吸收尽可能多的氧气
Baby’s going to get as much oxygen as he can,
所以我们会在外面看着你
so we’re going to watch you.
罗西和乔会在里面照顾你
Rosie and Jo will take care of you inside.
谢谢
Thanks.
她们让我在低氧环境下骑行的原因
The reason they’ve got me cycling in this low-oxygen environment
不仅仅是为了更快让我的肌肉
is not only to get my muscles
感到疲倦 而且也会让我的大脑担心
exhausted more quickly, but to get my brain worried
可能有什么危险的事在发生
that something dangerous could be going on.
这一过程比我想象得要快得多
And that happens a lot sooner than I’d imagined.
继续骑 非常棒
Keep that up, you’re doing really well.
就在几分钟后
After just a few minutes
我的血氧饱和度下降到了82%
the oxygen saturation in my blood is down to 82%,
呼吸很艰难 我的腿也在尖叫”停下”
I’m struggling for breath and my legs are screaming, “Stop!”
低压氧舱起到了效果
The chamber is taking its toll.
很好 继续加油 继续加油
Well done. Keep pushing, keep pushing! Keep pushing.
好了 我们就到这儿 很好
OK and we’ll stop there. That’s it, well done.
我帮你取下这个 深呼吸
Take this off for you. Nice deep breaths for me.
从你头上取下来
It’s coming over your head.
接下来我们想让你坐上那个椅子
We’re going to move you onto the chair.
如果你能自己过去的话
If you can manoeuvre yourself in here.
我做不下去之后
Once I can do no more,
罗西和乔就将我固定在这张椅子上
Rosie and Jo strap me into a chair,
在我的大腿上安放电极
place electrodes on my thigh
并将我的腿绑在应变仪上
and cuff my leg to a strain gauge
测量我踢腿的力度
to measure how hard I can kick.
首先 她们要测量
First, they measure how hard
我认为我疲倦的腿能使出的力度
I think I can push my exhausted leg muscles.
尽力使劲 很好 三 二 一
Just as hard as you can. OK. In three, two, one,
收缩 收缩 使劲 使劲 使劲
and contract, contract, push, push, push!
继续保持 保持 保持
Keep pushing, keep pushing, hold it, hold it, hold it.
尽管我觉得我
Although I think I’m pushing
正在用尽全力 但我的大脑潜意识
as hard as I can, my subconscious brain,
可能会阻止我 警告着我
alarmed at the potential damage from this nasty exertion,
这种艰难运动的潜在危险
may be holding me back.
这是一个经颅探测器
This is a transcranial probe
能够发送精准的定向脉冲
that delivers a carefully targeted
至我大脑中控制大腿的部分
magnetic pulse to the part of my brain that controls my leg.
在我使劲的同时 乔启动了脉冲
While I push as hard as I can, Jo triggers the pulse
发送额外信息至我的大腿
sending an additional signal to my leg.
三 二 一 收缩 收缩 收缩
And in three, two, one, contract, contract, contract,
使劲 使劲 使劲 保持 保持 保持
push, push, push, push, hold it, hold it, hold it.
放松
And relax.
当然我们必须进行两次
And of course we have to do it twice.
-准备好了吗 迈克尔 -准备好了
– Ready, Michael? – Yeah.
三 二 一
In three, two, one,
收缩 使劲 用力 使劲 用力
and contract, push, harder, push, push, push,
使劲 用力 使劲
push, push, push.
放松
And relax.
很好
Well done.
-你做得很好 -谢谢
– Good effort. – Thank you.
我的老天啊
God, blimey!
好吧 我希望这些都值得的
OK, I hope it was worth it.
结果是什么呢
What are the results then?
我们测试了你在低压氧舱中的一些数据
We were measuring a number of things when you were in the chamber.
第一个是
The first thing we measured when you
在收缩大腿时你的绝对力量
were just contracting your leg was your absolute strength,
大约550牛顿
around 550 Newtons.
使劲 用力 使劲 用力
Push, push, push, keep pushing, keep pushing.
通过经颅刺♥激♥法
With the transcranial stimulation…
-那些嘈杂声 -是的 那些声音
– The buzz? – Yeah, the zapping.
作用于我的大脑
On my brain.
我们测量了你有多大能力
we were measuring how well you were
调动肌肉的全部作用
able to activate your muscle to its full capacity.
所以当你最大限度收缩大腿时
So, if when you’re doing a maximal contraction
你充分激活了你的肌肉 并且我们
you are activating your muscle fully, and we
还加入了一些额外的刺♥激♥
put in some extra stimulation,
你没有多余的力量了
you would get no more force out.
但如果我们让你发挥出了更多力量
But if we got more force out,
那我们就知道
we’d know
你没有使肌肉发挥全部作用
you weren’t activating your muscle to its full capacity.
使劲 用力一点 使劲 用力
Push, harder, push, push, push, push, push.
我们在肌肉收缩时给予刺♥激♥
When we stimulated during a contraction,
就能使你的肌肉
we actually got some extra
发挥更多的力量
force out of your muscle with that stimulation.
所以在锻炼之前
So you weren’t driving
你并没有充分发挥你的肌肉作用
your muscle as fully as before the exercise.
所以当我以为
So when I think that
是我的肌肉尖叫着让我停下时
actually it’s my muscle screaming at me to stop
实际上是我大脑中的某一部分在发出指令
there’s some part of my brain doing that?
是的 你的肌肉是在与你的大脑对话
Yes, and your muscles are actually talking to your brain
告诉大脑事情变得有些棘手
and saying things are getting a bit dodgy and
然后你的大脑就指示神经输出信♥号♥♥至肌肉
then your brain regulates the neural output to your muscles,
于是你最终停下了
so you have to eventually stop.
大脑潜意识在保护自己
The subconscious brain is protecting itself.
当危险信♥号♥♥出现时发出警告
Alarmed at the danger signals
这些危险来自于预期之外的锻炼
brought on by bouts of unexpected exercise,
它就自动关闭了
it triggers an automatic shut down.
你的大脑有点像谨慎的父母
Your brain is a bit like a cautious parent
基本是在说”别那样 那样对你不好”
basically saying, “Don’t do that, it’s bad for you.”
他们不完全错 只不过他们设限较低
And they’re kind of right, but they set the level a bit low.
-对的 -但是
– That’s right. – But you’re
-你可以比想象中做得更好 -是的
– capable of doing a bit more than you might think. – Yes,
那种安全界限对于未受训的人来说是很大的
that safety margin is quite big in someone who is untrained,
通过训练 你可以缩小安全界限
and with training you can make that safety margin a bit smaller.
在几次锻炼之后
After just a few sessions of exercise,
你的大脑将会知道 这种奇怪的新活动
your brain will learn that this strange new activity
不会对你的生命构成威胁
is not life threatening,
然后它就会等更长的时间再喊停
and it will wait longer before telling you to stop.
锻炼会感觉更容易
Exercise will feel easier.
现在 开始
Now! Go!
*I see you, baby, shaking that ass, shaking that ass…*
Groove Armada – I See You Baby (Shakin’ that ass)
最后一个星期的高♥强♥度训练
One more week of HIT,
在我儿子的鼓励下完成
egged on by my son,
我将回到
and I’ll be heading back
诺丁汉来看看这种训练是否对我有效
to Nottingham to see if it worked for me.
加油 还有五秒
Go! Five more seconds.
继续 你做得很棒 你可以停下了
Go! You’re doing well. And you can stop.
杰明是对的
And Jamie was right.
你的确可以穿着西装做这项运动
You CAN do it in a suit.’
没留下汗迹 干干净净
No sweat marks. Clean.
没有一丝汗渍
No sweat marks or anything like that.
再见 老朋友 我们共度了一段美好时光
Goodbye, old friend, we’ve had some good times together.
事实上 在过去四周
In fact, over the last four weeks,
我的训练总量为12分钟
a grand total of 12 minutes.
问题是 这给我带来好处了吗
The question is, has it done any good?
我要去找出答案

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!