And capturing it on film seemed a jolly good idea,
但你没法研究自己的孩子
but it doesn’t work with your own child.
我只是觉得自己不想这么做
I just found that I didn’t want to do it,
我当时只想要陪在他身边
I wanted just to be there in the moment.
在他生命的头三年
For the first three years of his life,
我没有一个晚上离开过他
I wasn’t away one single night.
我一直陪在他身边
I was always there.
当然和所有母亲一样
Of course, like all mothers,
我也想尽可能给自己儿子 最好的人生起点
I wanted to give my son the best possible start in life,
我得筛选不同来源的建议
and I had to choose between various sources of advice.
其中就有我自己的母亲
There was my own mother,
还有斯波克医生 还有芙洛
there was Dr. Spock, and there was Flo.
毫无疑问 我对黑猩猩的观察
There is no doubt that my observations of the chimpanzees
让我成为了更好的母亲
helped me to be a better mother.
但我也发现自己做母亲的经历
But I found also that the experience of being myself a mother
也有助于我更好地理解 黑猩猩的母性行为
helped me better understand chimpanzee maternal behavior.
比如说 是葛拉出生后
It was not until Grub came along, for example,
我才开始明白母爱
that I began to understand
那种简单而又强大的本能
the basic powerful instincts of mother love.
现在我能够更深刻地明白
How much more easily I could now understand
当黑猩猩母亲看到
the feelings of a chimpanzee mother
有人离它的婴儿太近时 它愤怒地挥舞着手臂
who furiously waved her arms and barked out threats
大声喊叫 威胁对方时的那种感受
to any who approached her infant too closely.
葛拉小时候
When Grub was little,
待在贡贝并不安全
it was dangerous for him at Gombe.
黑猩猩会吃其他灵长目动物
Chimpanzees eat other primates.
我们就是灵长目动物
We are a primate.
我们知道它们曾夺走人类的婴儿
They have been known to take infant humans.
我不会拿自己的宝贝儿子冒险
I wasn’t going to risk my little precious son.
所以我们去贡贝时 那里有个笼子
So when we went to Gombe, it was a cage.
我们当初做这个笼子
It had been made at a time
是因为有些黑猩猩
when some of the chimps became
对雨果非常凶恶
very aggressive towards Hugo.
所以葛拉就坐在笼子里
And so Grub sat in a cage.
笼子漆成了蓝色
But it was painted blue
里面悬挂着 一些能移♥动♥的物体
and there were mobiles hanging down
非常温馨
and it was very lovely.
我原本以为自己可以一边抚养孩子
I had thought that I could raise a child
一边继续展开自己的工作
and carry on with my work at the same time.
但情况并非如此
It was not so.
我不再追踪黑猩猩的情况
I stopped following the chimps;
都是学生们和现场工作人员在做这事
the students and field staff did that.
我只是在管理研究站
I merely administered the research station.
最后 我们的大部分时间
Eventually, we spent the bulk of our time
都花在塞伦盖蒂那边
working on the Serengeti.
我成了雨果的助理和葛拉的母亲
I was Hugo’s assistant and I was mother to Grub.
从内罗毕乘小型越野飞机
REPORTER: From Nairobi, in a small bush plane
到坦桑尼亚杜杜 要花费两个钟头的时间
it’s a two hour flight to en Dudu Tanzania.
我们这次是要去见葛拉
Our purpose was to meet Grub,
他是珍妮·古道尔博士和雨果·范·勒维三岁半的儿子
the three and a half year old son of Doctor Jane Goodall and Hugo van Lawick.
在非洲出生长大的他
Born and raised in Africa,
会和动物交流 他与父母用英语对话
who speaks to animals, English to his parents,
他唯一的玩伴是一个40岁的非洲人 说着流利的斯瓦希里语
and perfect Swahili to his only playmate, a 40-year-old African.
这个孩子生命中四分之三的时间 都是在非洲度过
This child has spent three quarters of his life in Africa,
我指的并不是内罗毕这样的城市
and I don’t mean in a Nairobian cities.
而是非常偏远的地方
I mean in really remote areas.
你能发个声音给我听吗
You’ll make a sound for me?
斑马是怎么叫的 葛拉
JANE: What does a zebra say, Grub?
再大声点
(makes zebra sound) A bit louder.
没错 那鬣狗呢
(louder) That’s right. And what about a hyena?
真好听 那狮子呢
JANE: That’s a beauty. And a lion?
跟我说说在这里 养孩子的故事吧 雨果
INTERVIEWER: Tell me some stories about raising a child here, Hugo.
他很小的时候 我们首先要做的一件事
Well, one of the first things we had to do when he was tiny
是让他知道灌木丛里的危险
was teach him of the dangers in the bush,
所以我们会带他去看 然后嗷嗷叫
so we showed them to him and say, “Ow, ow,”
让他要远离这些动物
and teach him that he was to stay away from these animals.
从观察黑猩猩 看它们养孩子中 你学到了什么吗
INTERVIEWER: Did you learn anything from watching chimps and raising children?
我听说黑猩猩宝宝会得到很多的爱
I’m told that a chimp baby is just given so much love.
这是好事吗 你觉得你可以把这 转移到我们的生活当中吗
Is that a good, do you think you could transfer that to our lives?
这有意义吗
Does it have a meaning?
我们给了葛拉无尽的爱和安全感
JANE: With Grub, we gave him immense amounts of love and security,
大家都说 “以后他会太依赖你们的”
and everyone said, “Oh, he’ll be so dependent on you.
“他没法在这个世界自力更生”
He’ll never make his own way in the world.”
但我似乎觉得情况恰恰相反
It seems to myself, the opposite.
等葛拉布林六岁时
INTERVIEWER: When he reaches six,
他要到英国去上学
Grublin will have to be taken to England for schooling.
希望在他受教育的过程中
I hope, in the process of being educated,
他永远也不会忘记自己学过的东西
he never forgets what he has already learned.
KMG 16
有人在吗
JANE: Hello, hello, hello.
你们有什么消息吗 完毕
Any news with you? Any news with you? Over.
我刚聊过 和…
MAN (over radio): I just talked to (inaudible)
他们应该要过来 完毕
and I think they’re coming. Over.
好 收到了
JANE: Okay, okay, have received you.
我马上过来
I’ll be joining you soon.
通话完毕
Over and out, over and out.
亲爱的家人们 我有个 极其悲惨的消息要告诉你们
在我们行程快结束时 一切似乎都出了问题
脊髓灰质炎在黑猩猩身上传染开了
这是一段很可怕的时期 一个接着一个倒下
JANE: It was a horrible time, one after the other.
黑猩猩们拖着四肢过来
Chimpanzees came in, dragging limbs.
有些情况还可以
Some of them were okay.
但麦格雷戈
But McGregor…
它两条腿都不能用了
both legs gone.
甚至连一只手臂都用不了
Unable to use even one arm.
情况太糟糕了
It was awful.
我们当即发现我们可以 给黑猩猩们接种疫苗
We immediately found that we could vaccinate the chimps.
当时已经有点太迟了
It was a bit late,
但是要是我们没这么做的话 情况可能还会继续恶化下去
but maybe it would have gone on if we hadn’t.
但麦格雷戈
But, McGregor…
它必须要被实施安乐死
he had to be shot.
是有人说过“顺其自然”吗
INTERVIEWER: Did someone say, “Let nature take its course?”
抱歉
JANE: Sorry.
我不在乎别人怎么说
I didn’t care what anybody said.
有能力的话 我就会帮黑猩猩
I was going to help the chimps if I could.
我不能看着动物受苦
I couldn’t watch an animal suffering
就像我也没法看着人类受苦
anymore than I could watch a human suffering
有能力帮忙 我就不会选择袖手旁观
and not help if I could.
我觉得帮人类和帮动物 并没有什么区别
I see no difference between helping a human and helping an animal.
对 我们是可以继续每天喂它
I mean, yes we could have gone on and fed him every day
让它苟延残喘活着 可这有什么意义
and kept him alive for what reason?
说实话 如果换成是我
To be honest, if that happens to me,
我不希望自己这样活着
I do not wish to be kept alive either.
你有担心过 你们可能把这疾病带回来吗
INTERVIEWER: Were you ever concerned that you might’ve carried it in?
没有
JANE: No.
头几例脊髓灰质炎 并非来自我们的黑猩猩
The first examples of polio were not from our chimps.
而是在南方很远的地方
They were way to the south,
那里是人类脊髓灰质炎发生的地方
and that’s where the human polio was.
所以我不觉得这种疾病是我带来的
So I didn’t feel responsible for introducing it.
不过传染情况是会加剧
Although, for sure, it could pass on more
因为患者都聚到了一起
because they were coming together.
但病源并不在我们身上
But it didn’t start with us
这让我们觉得很宽慰
which was– which was very reassuring, actually.
事情发生后
After the incident,
我们再也不能触碰黑猩猩
it was no longer permitted to touch the chimpanzees.
贡贝 变得再也不一样了
Gombe would never be quite the same.
我只想要和黑猩猩们待在一起
I wanted nothing more than to be with the chimpanzees,
我决定多花些时间待在贡贝
and I made the decision to spend more time in Gombe.
葛拉和我待在一起
Grub stayed with me.
所以上午 我会做些数据分♥析♥
So in the morning, I would do analysis of data,
管理事项之类的
administration, that sort of thing.
然后我会花一两个钟头 在黑猩猩营地里
And then I would spend about one to two hours up in a chimp camp
和同学生们一起看黑猩猩