but couldn’t find her.
最后,我必须深入夏安境内
Finally, I had to go
deeper into Cheyenne country.
我并不认为是危险的
I didn’t figure
for me it was dangerous…
这对于会说夏安语
与曾一度是“人类”的我
speaking Cheyenne and having
once been a Human Being myself.
杀了他
Let’s kill him.
我没有偷东西,兄弟
I didn’t steal your
father’s ponies, brother.
你为什么叫我“兄弟”?
Why do you
keep calling me brother?
你不要这样
I want you
to stop doing that.
我不是你的兄弟
I am not your brother.
我是个“人类”
I am a Human Being.
我想你会说
你从未听说过
I suppose you will say
you have never heard
“小巨人”
of Little Big Man.
“小巨人”是我的兄弟
Little Big Man was my brother,
但你不是他
but you’re not him.
他被杀害了
He fought beside me
in battle and was killed
在干掉许多蓝外套之后
after rubbing out
many bluecoats.
你看到尸体了吗?
Did you see the body?
没有,他变成一只燕子飞走了
No, he turned into
a swallow and flew away.
我们杀了他
Let’s kill him and go home.
“阴影”!你那时被射伤了
– Shadow!
– You were shot there.
我把你放在小马上,
I picked you up
and put you on a pony.
我救了你的命
I saved you.
“鼻上有泥”
Dirt on the Nose.
小马还在吗?
Do you still have the black pony
我在粉末河送给你的
I gave you
up at the Powder River?
没了,被波尼族人偷走了
No, the Pawnee stole him,
我们在老女人山扎营时
五场雪之前
when we camp at the Old
Women Butte, five snows ago.
是真的,这里有一件我不了解的事
It is true there is a thing here
I do not understand.
在我的两耳之间非常痛苦
There is a pain between my ears.
我的孩子
My son.
再看见你,使我心如鹰翱翔
To see you again causes my heart
to soar like a hawk.
坐在我旁边
Sit here beside me.
祖父,我为你带来了这个礼物
Grandfather, I brought you
this present.
这是不是我以前的那顶帽子
Is this the hat I used to own,
只是皮变软和变胖了?
except grown softer of skin
and fatter?
不,祖父,这是另一顶
No, Grandfather, it’s another.
我们必须抽烟来庆祝你的回归
We must smoke to your return.
我在梦境里看见了你
I saw you in a dream.
你喝着泉水
You were drinking from a spring
从动物的长鼻子流出的
that came from the long
nose of an animal.
我不认得那种动物
I did not recognize the animal.
它的鼻子两旁,各有一个角
Alongside his nose,
he grew two horns,
从它鼻子涌出的水,充满了空气
and the water that gushed
from his nose was full of air.
我无法解释
I can’t explain it,
但他是在说…
but he was talking about
that elephant-head spigot
那间汽水店的象头状龙头
in the soda shop.
这不是“老帐篷皮”梦境为真
And this wasn’t the only time
Old Lodge Skins had dreams
的唯一一次
that turned out true.
我的孩子,
Don’t be angry, my son,
别生“晒红”、“阴影”
和其他人的气
with Burns Red, Shadow,
and the others.
他们去年与白人
They had many a bad experience
有许多坏经验
with the white man last year.
在这个议题上,我已经想过和谈过
也抽过烟了
I have thought and talked
and smoked on this matter
而我的决定是…
and my decision is…
“小巨人”回来了
Little Big Man has returned.
这真是个轰动的返乡
It was quite a homecoming.
“小巨人”
Little Big Man.
这是“小马”
It was Little Horse,
不想与波尼族战斗的男孩
the boy who didn’t want
to fight the Pawnee.
你不记得我吗?
Don’t you remember me?
这真伤我的心
This hurts me in my heart.
我想我会哭的
I think I’ll cry.
他成为了一个赫曼纳
He’d become a Heemanah,
这没有英文词
for which there ain’t
no English word.
而他也是很优秀的一个
And he was a good one, too.
“人类”为他设想周到
The Human Beings
thought a lot of him.
你好,“年轻的熊”
Hello, Younger Bear.
再见
Good-bye.
这就是我救了命
It was the boy
whose life I had saved,
对他造成致命羞辱的男孩
to his mortal embarrassment.
你的狩猎之旅有捉到兔子吗?
Did you catch rabbits
on your hunting trip?
没有
No.
那就不要交给
Then don’t give the rabbits
“水牛打滚女人”
you didn’t catch
to Buffalo Wallow Woman.
你知道
“年轻的熊”成为了
You see,
Younger Bear had become
相反的人
所有夏安勇士里最危险的一个
a Contrary, the most dangerous
of all Cheyenne warriors
因为他们的生活方式使他们半疯狂
because the way they live
drives them half crazy.
除了战争外
Except for battle,
相反的人做一切事情都相反
a Contrary
does everything backwards.
他说“再见”为“你好”
He says good-bye
when he means hello,
“是”为“不是”
走在灌木上
yes when he means no,
walks through bushes
而不在小路上
以土洗涤
instead of on trails,
and washes with dirt,
并用水弄干
and dries with water
and so forth.
我还以为你已经死了
I thought you were dead.
为什么你还要回来?
Why have you come back
当没人想看到你时
when nobody wants to see you?
你不能像这样跟“小巨人”说话
You mustn’t speak
to Little Big Man like that.
你欠他一条命
You owe him a life.
我很高兴我这样说,你好
I’m glad I said it. Hello.
意思应该是
That was supposed to mean
“他很抱歉他这样说,再见”
he was sorry he said it,
good-bye.
但那个勇士并不抱歉
他仍然恨我
But that warrior wasn’t sorry.
He hated me still.
祖父
Grandfather,
我有一个白人♥妻♥子
I have a white wife.
你有吗?
You do?
这真有趣
That’s interesting.
她会煮饭和辛勤工作吗?
Does she cook and
does she work hard?
喔,是的,祖父
Oh, yes, Grandfather.
这让我很惊讶
That surprises me.
你骑她时,她有否显示愉快的热情?
Does she show pleasant
enthusiasm when you mount her?
嗯,当然,祖父
Well, sure, Grandfather.
这让我更惊讶了
That surprises me even more.
我有次试骑了她们当中的一个
I tried one of them once
但她没有显示任何愉快的热情

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!