把这个放在同样的地方,合上盖子,给静电计充电。
Put this in exactly the same place, close the case, charge the electrometer.
现在我们将知道铀中的射线有多少能量。
Now we’ll find out how much energy the rays in the uranium have.
正确的。
Right.
准备好了吗?阅读。
Ready? Read.
两个。总是一样。
Two. Same as always.
到目前为止我还没做错什么。
I’ve done nothing wrong so far.
我看不出来。
Not that I can see.
这样我们就知道,含有铀和钍的沥青铀矿等于8,而铀本身等于2。
We know then that the pitchblende with the uranium and the thorium in it comes to eight, and that the uranium alone reads two.
来自相同数量的沥青铀矿?
From the same amount of pitchblende?
当然可以。把它放在同样的地方,合上盖子,给静电计充电。
Of course. Put that in exactly the same place, close the case, charge the electrometer.
现在我们知道了钍中的射线有多少能量。
Now we find out how much energy the rays in the thorium have.
正确的。
Right.
准备好了吗?阅读。
Ready? Read.
两个。
Two.
我不明白你的意思。一定是弄错了。
I don’t understand. There must be a mistake.
当铀和钍在沥青铀矿中时,读数是8,但单独来说,它们总共只有4。
When the uranium and thorium are in the pitchblende, the reading is eight, but individually, they only total four.
你检查过沥青铀矿中的其他元素了吗?
Have you checked all the other elements in the pitchblende?
我检查了所有的元素。你知道结果。
I’ve checked every element there is. You know the results.
所有存在的元素。
Every element in existence.
铀和钍是唯一会放射射线的元素。
Uranium and thorium are the only elements that give off rays.
那么,为什么它们在沥青铀矿中的释放量是单独测试时的两倍呢?
Why therefore do they give off twice as much when they’re in the pitchblende, as they do when they’re tested separately?
那四个缺失的点在哪里?
Where are those four missing points?
这就是我不明白的地方。
That’s what I don’t understand.
我不明白你的意思。
I don’t understand.
你对沥青铀矿中的成分做了化学分♥析♥,对吧?
You made a chemical analysis of what is contained in pitchblende, didn’t you?
当然可以。我能看看吗?
Of course. Could I see it?
是的。
Yes.
氧化铀75%,氧化钍13%,硫化铅3%,二氧化硅2%,氧化钙3%,氧化钡2%,氧化铁1%,氧化镁0.99%,其他外来物质0.001%。
Uranium oxide 75%, thorium oxide 13%, lead sulphide 3%, silicon dioxide 2%, calcium oxide 3%, barium oxide 2%, iron oxide 1%, magnesium oxide 0.99%, other extraneous matter .001%.
皮埃尔?是吗?
Pierre? Yes?
我们的宇宙是由明确已知的物质组成的,不是吗?
Our universe is composed of definitely known substances, isn’t it?
永远固定不变的元素。
Elements that are fixed forever.
惰性的,不变的。
Inert, unchanging.
我们知道,不是吗?
We know that, don’t we?
我们所有的科学都基于此。
All of our science is based on that.
我们所有的科学都基于此。继续。
All of our science is based on that. Go on.
一开始,人们认为只有四种元素。
In the beginning, man used to think that there were only four elements.
土,空气,火和水。
Earth, air, fire and water.
他们认为宇宙中的一切都是由这些物质构成的。
They thought that everything in their universe could be made out of those.
是的,继续。但他们错了,不是吗?
Yes, go on. But they were wrong, weren’t they?
他们错了。
They were wrong.
现在我们知道有78个元素。
Now we know that there are 78 elements.
架子上的那些元素。
Those elements over there on the shelves.
我们相信还有一些未知的元素。
And we believe that there are some elements still unknown.
但我们假设这些缺失的元素与我们已知的元素具有相同的特征。
But we assume that these missing elements will have the same character as those we know already.
这是正确的。
That’s right.
皮埃尔,
Pierre,
如果世界上有一种物质我们做梦都没想过呢?
what if there is a kind of matter in the world we never even dreamed of?
这意味着什么?
What would that mean?
玛丽,那将意味着我们对物质本质的整个概念将不得不改变。
Marie, that would mean that our whole conception of the nature of matter would have to be changed.
这里很冷。
It’s cold in here.
告诉我你在想什么。
Tell me what you are thinking.
我不太敢。
I don’t quite dare.
继续说下去,不管听起来有多疯狂。
Go on and say it, no matter how crazy it sounds.
如果我们的测量没有出错呢?
What if we did not make a mistake in our measurements?
如果科学的概念是错误的呢?
What if the conception of science is wrong?
如果存在一种不是惰性的,而是有生命的物质呢?
What if there exists a matter that is not inert, but alive?
动态吗?
Dynamic?
我们是否敢认为我们缺失的四个点,这种奇怪的力量,就在那0.001% ?
Do we dare think that our four missing points, this strange power, is in that .001%?
皮埃尔,我们发现了一种新元素。
Pierre, we have discovered a new element.
一个活跃的元素。
An active element.
沥青铀矿的残留物。
The residue of the pitchblende.
我提取铀和钍后剩下的东西。
What was left over after I extracted the uranium and the thorium.
它一定在里面。在哪里?
It must be in there. Where is it?
在滤纸上。
In the filter paper.
关闭窗帘。
Close the curtains.
准备好了吗?
Ready?
玛丽,如果你漏掉的四点在这里,我们对宇宙的看法就会改变。
Marie, if your four missing points are here, our notion of the universe will be changed.
准备好了吗?阅读。
Ready? Read.
四。
Four.
哦,皮埃尔。
Oh, Pierre.
玛丽,这个新概念…如果我们能证明这种新元素的存在,它就能使我们比以往任何时候都更深入地研究生命本身的秘密。
Marie, this new concept… If we can prove the existence of this new element, it may enable us to look into the secret of life itself deeper than ever before in the history of the world.
居里夫人,你必须知道董事会已经充分考虑了你的申请。
Madame Curie, you must realize that the board has given your application every consideration.
然而,这所大学没有足够的预算来建造新的实验室和你要求的新设备。
However, the university has not an extensive budget, for the creation of new laboratories and for the new equipment you ask for.
你说你和居里博士发现了一种新元素的存在,一种活性元素。
You state that you and Dr. Curie have detected the presence of a new element, an active element.
但不幸的是,你没有给我们确凿的证据证明它的存在。
But unfortunately, you have given us no convincing proof of its existence.
我们已经通过实验证明了它的存在。
We have demonstrated its existence experimentally.
除了秋天的五个星期外,我们一直在集中进行研究。
We have carried on our research intensively, except for five weeks in the autumn.
九月,我的女儿出生了,一个星期后,我的丈夫不幸失去了他的母亲。
In September, my daughter was born, and a week later, my husband had the misfortune to lose his mother.
但剩下的时间我们就完全投入到研究中去了。
But the rest of the time we have devoted entirely to research.
然而,在这八、九个月里,你却没有得到任何关于存在……它叫什么名字?
And yet, in these eight or nine months, you have come no closer to any proof as to the existence of, uh… What is the name of it?
我妻子把它命名为镭。
My wife has named it radium.
哦,是的。镭。
Oh, yes. Radium.
我想问居里医生一个问题。
I should like to ask Dr. Curie a question.
是的,教授罗杰疑案。
Yes, Professor Roget.
这项工作要花不少时间,不是吗?
This work will require quite a little time, will it not?
是的,当然。
Yes, of course.
但你已经在物理和化学学院教书了,而居里夫人在塞夫勒的普通学校教书。
But you’re already teaching at the school of physics and chemistry, and Madame Curie is teaching at the normal school at Sevres.
即使在最好的情况下,这也是一项艰巨的任务。
It would be a formidable undertaking under the best of circumstances.
在这种情况下,似乎没什么希望。
Under these conditions, hardly seems promising.
而居里夫人,尽管她有公认的才能,请允许我这样说,她年轻,缺乏经验,是个女人。
And Madame Curie, in spite of her acknowledged abilities, is, if you will permit me to say so, young, inexperienced and a woman.
先生们,恕我直言,这句话在我看来完全无关紧要。
Gentleman, if you please, this remark seems to me entirely irrelevant.
居里夫人很年轻,她没有我们大多数人拥有的经验,正如你说的,她是一个女人。
It is perfectly true that Madame Curie is young, that she has not had the experience that most of us have had, and as you say, she is a woman.
但是让我提醒你们,先生们,她是一个非常不寻常的女人,我可以说,一个非常不寻常的女人。
But let me impress upon you, gentlemen, that she is a most unusual woman, I might say, well, a most unusual woman.
你不能用这个词来分类她。
You cannot classify her with that term.
我曾有机会仔细观察过居里夫人,我可以向你们保证,先生们,她是一位杰出的科学家,她既谨慎又聪明,而且……嗯?
I have had the opportunity of observing Madame Curie very closely, and I can assure you, gentlemen, that she is a remarkable scientist, as scrupulous as she is brilliant, and furthermore… Huh?
嗯…当然,先生们,你们知道我对居里夫人的态度是完全冷漠和超然的,就像我对其他任何同事的评价一样。
Uh… Of course, gentlemen, you understand that I am looking upon Madame Curie with complete coldness and complete detachment, as I would in judging any other colleague.
我们知道你相信居里夫人调查的可靠性。
We understand that you are convinced as to the reliability of Madame Curie’s investigations.
完全。我甚至把我自己的研究工作放在一边,把我的全部时间都投入到与她的合作中,在这个孤立的新元素中。
Entirely. I have even put aside my own research to devote my entire time to collaborating with her in the isolation of this new element.
居里博士,虽然我们很想帮助您和居里夫人,但我们的预算不提供这种用途。
Dr. Curie, much as we would like to help you and Madame Curie, our budget does not provide for purposes of this kind.
然而,罗杰教授提出的建议,我们一致同意,让你使用物理学院院子对面的小屋。
However, the suggestion was made by Professor Roget, in which we have unanimously concurred, to offer you the use of the shed across the courtyard from the school of physics.
我们知道这间小屋不适合你们调查…先生们!
We are aware that this shed is not the most suitable place for your investigation… Gentlemen!
你是要把物理楼对面的旧小屋给我们吗?
Am I to understand that you are offering us the old shed across from the physics building?
就是被医学院学生用作解剖室的那个?
The one that was used as a dissecting room by medical students?
如果这个可恶的窝棚可以使用,那只是因为找不到愿意在里面工作的人。
If this abominable shack is available, it’s only because no one can be found who is willing to work in it.
屋顶漏雨,没有地板,地面潮湿,不能供暖。
The roof leaks, it has no floor but the wet ground, it cannot be heated.
夏天闷得像温室,冬天就结冰了。
In summer it’s as stifling as a hothouse and in winter it freezes.
你以为我会允许我的妻子在这种恶劣的条件下工作吗?
And do you imagine that I would permit my wife to work under these appalling conditions?
如果你们想,先生们,请相信……嗯?
If you do, gentlemen, believe… Huh?
如果我丈夫同意,我们会很高兴接受这个棚子。
With my husband’s permission, we shall be very glad to accept the shed.
有这个棚子,我们将非常感激。
We shall be very grateful to have the shed.
这就是物理学院院子对面的小屋。
This was the shed across the courtyard from the school of physics.
这里将成为玛丽和皮埃尔·居里的实验室。
This was to be the laboratory of Marie and Pierre Curie.
这地方比他们预料的还要糟糕。
The place was even worse than they had expected.
没有设备。
There was no equipment.
他们任凭最恶劣的恶劣天气摆布。
They were at the mercy of the worst extremes of the weather.
在这种情况下,他们怎么能做有价值的事呢?
How could they do anything worthwhile under such conditions?
如果他们一开始就知道要在这里工作多久,有什么困难等着他们,他们还敢来吗?
If they had known at the start how long they were to work here, and what difficulties awaited them, would they have dared to begin?
嗯,是的,他们可能会。
Well, yes, they probably would.
他们就是那种人。
They were that kind of people.
起初,这纯粹是体力劳动,超出了他们两人的体力。
At first, it was sheer physical labor, beyond the strength of either of them.
在那些冬天里,他们俩一起从事着整个化工厂的工作。
During those winter days they carried on between them the work of an entire chemical plant.
原料是波西米亚矿里的沥青铀矿,数吨♥之多,他们计划从那里提取出所有已知的元素直到只剩下几盎司。
The raw material was pitchblende from the mines of Bohemia, tons of it, from which they planned to extract all the known elements until only a few ounces remained.
从这几盎司中,他们的珍贵元素镭最终被分离出来了。
From these few ounces, radium, their precious element, was eventually to be isolated.
开始时,尽管天气寒冷,由于有火和烟雾,这项工作必须在室外完成。
In the beginning, in spite of the bitter cold, the work had to be done out of doors because of the fire and the fumes.
第一步是在一个大的长方形容器里熔化粗矿石,直到它沸腾得像熔岩一样。
The first step was to melt the crude ore in a large oblong tank till it was boiling like lava.
然后倒入酸。
Then acids were poured in.
这是为了溶解盐。
This was to dissolve out the salts.
这一步完成后,下一个阶段是在不同的坩埚中熔化残留物,这是另一项艰苦的工作,因为火不能熄灭,无论是白天还是晚上,
When this was done, the next stage was to melt down the residue in separate cauldrons, another backbreaking job, for the fires must not go out, night or day,
皮埃尔或玛丽总要在身边。
and either Pierre or Marie had to be on hand all the time.
不屈不挠的决心使他们一月又一月地从事这种艰巨而危险的工作。但尽管如此,皮埃尔和玛丽两人的事终于开始暴露了。
Dogged determination kept them going through month after month of such arduous, dangerous work. But even so, it began at last to tell on both Pierre and Marie.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!