这是他们必须持续对抗的东西,毒气。
This was something they had to fight continually, the gas fumes.
最终,月复一月,年复一年。
Eventually, months ran into years.
工作的类型改变了,但皮埃尔仍然必须建造或组装他们的设备,用手边的任何材料。
The kind of work changed, but Pierre still had to build or assemble their equipment, and with any materials that lay at hand.
原先沥青铀矿剩下的部分现在必须进行过滤,再过滤以除去其他元素。
What was left of the original pitchblende had now to be filtered and refiltered to remove other elements.
而这项工作,虽然不太需要体力,但已经够辛苦的了,尤其是在炎热的夏天。
And this work, though not quite so physically strenuous, was hard enough, especially during the hot summer days.
工作就这样继续进行着,直到现在,除了最后的两种元素外,几吨♥矿石中的所有东西都被移走了。
And so the work went on, until presently everything had been removed from the tons of ore, except two final elements.
一种是钡,另一种是珍贵的、难以捉摸的镭,他们心里已经把它当成自己的元素了。
One was barium, and the other, which they had begun to think of in their hearts as their own element, was the precious, elusive radium.
皮埃尔和玛丽认为,他们的任务一定就要结束了。
Pierre and Marie thought that the end of their task must surely be in sight.
现在要做的就是分离这最后的两个生还者,钡和镭。
All that was now left was to separate these two last survivors, barium and radium.
这就是问题所在,以某种方式分离钡和镭。
This was the problem, to separate barium and radium somehow or other.
没有分离。
No separation.
没有分离。
No separation.
没有分离。
No separation.
“1♥8♥9♥9年9月12日。
“September 12th, 1♥8♥9♥9.
沥青铀矿的还原几乎完成。剩下的只有钡和镭。
“Reduction of pitchblende nearly finished. Only barium and radium remain.
“下一次分离会产生镭。”
“The next separation will give radium.”
”1♥8♥9♥9年11月8日。第一次实验,不分离。”
“November 8th, 1♥8♥9♥9. First experiment, no separation.”
”1♥8♥9♥9年11月10日。第二个实验,不分离。”
“November 10th, 1♥8♥9♥9. Second experiment, no separation.”
”7月16日,1900年。第四百五十八次实验,镭仍然拒绝与钡分离
“July 16th, 1900. Four hundred and fifty-eighth experiment, “radium still refuses to be separated from barium.”
好吧,镭和钡是分离不了的。
All right, then, radium won’t be separated from barium.
我们已经尽力了,甚至更多。
We’ve done all we can, and more.
比大多数人做得都多,多亏了你的坚韧,但没用。
More than most people would’ve done, thanks to your tenacity, but it’s useless.
我们永远也找不到分离他们的方法。
We’ll never find a way of separating them.
钡和镭不能分离。
Barium and radium cannot be separated.
你觉得我们还能忍♥受这种难以忍♥受的高温多久?
How much longer do you think we can stand this insufferable heat?
夏天闷热,冬天寒冷。
Stifling in summer and freezing in winter.
你觉得你还能这样开多久?
How much longer do you think you can drive yourself like this?
你觉得我还能在这等多久,看着你毁了自己?
And how much longer do you think I can stand by and watch you destroy yourself?
到目前为止,世界上没有镭。
The world has done without radium up to now.
就算它再过100年不被隔离又有什么关系呢?
What does it matter if it isn’t isolated for another 100 years?
我不能放弃。
I can’t give it up.
如果要花100年,那就太可惜了。
If it takes 100 years, it would be a pity.
但我要看看我这辈子能走多远。
But I’m going to see how far I can go in my lifetime.
我从没见过这样的烧伤。
I have never seen burns quite like these before.
他们很奇怪。
They are very strange.
我从来没见过这样的东西。
I can’t ever remember seeing anything quite like them.
它们显然不是来自任何正常物质。
They obviously don’t come from any normal substance.
居里夫人,你用这个未知的元素做实验多久了?
Madame Curie, how long have you been making your experiments with this unknown element?
过去三年来…三年半。
For the past three… Three and a half years.
这些烧伤让你很痛吗?
And have these burns given you much pain?
不。
No.
它们有时很烦人,但直到最近我才注意到它们。
They’ve been irritating at times, but I never paid much attention to them until lately.
我明白了。
I see.
很明显你面对的是一股非常强大的力量。
It is obvious that you are dealing with some remarkably powerful force.
至于这些烧伤究竟是什么,无从得知。
As to what these burns are exactly, there is no means of telling.
我并不想吓到您,居里夫人,但这些烧伤很有可能会变得很严重,甚至可能发展成恶性的
I don’t wish to alarm you, Madame Curie, but it is very possible that these burns might become serious, might, in fact, develop malignantly
如果你继续让他们过度暴露在你未知的环境中。
if you continue to expose them excessively to your unknown element.
这不是不可能的,但是它们可能会发展成癌变的性质。
It is not impossible, but they might develop into a cancerous nature.
我的建议是,夫人,你最好放弃你的实验。
It is my advice, madame, that you abandon your experiments.
癌症吗?不,皮埃尔。
Cancer? No, Pierre.
他只是说烧伤可能会恶化。
He only said the burns might develop malignantly.
可能发展成癌症?不。
Might develop into cancer? No.
他说,它们可能会发展成癌变性质,但只有在过度接触我们的镭的情况下。
He said they might possibly develop into a cancerous nature, but only if excessively exposed to our radium.
所以,如果我们小心的话,没什么好害怕的。
So, if we’re careful, there’s nothing to be frightened about.
但是这个词让我害怕。
But the very word frightens me.
你也看到了我母亲的下场。
You saw how it took my own mother.
我们将不得不放弃实验。
We’ll have to give up our experiments.
如果我们面对的是一股如此强大的力量,谁也不知道会是什么……我不会允许的。我不会让你冒这个险的。
If we are dealing with as powerful a force as this, there’s no telling what… I won’t allow it. I won’t let you take such risks.
我不会允许你的。请皮埃尔。
I won’t permit you. Pierre, please.
不,玛丽。请听我说。
No, Marie. Listen to me, please.
有件事我必须告诉你。
There’s something I must tell you.
然后,你就可以随心所欲地决定了。
And then, you shall decide as you wish.
很好,玛丽。
Very well, Marie.
自从我离开医生家,我一直在想。
Since I left the doctor’s, I’ve been thinking.
我们的这个元素显然有一种可怕的力量。
This element of ours obviously has a terrific power.
足以影响像我这样的健康组织。
Power enough to affect healthy tissue like mine.
足以摧毁组织的力量。
Power enough to destroy tissue.
皮埃尔,如果它有这种能力,为什么它没有摧毁不健康组织的能力?
Pierre, if it has this power, why hasn’t it also the power to destroy unhealthy tissue?
你知道这意味着什么吗?它可以治愈。
Do you realize what that might mean? It could heal.
通过破坏不健康的组织,它可以治愈各种疾病。
By destroying unhealthy tissue, it could heal all manner of diseases.
像癌症,甚至?
Like cancer, even?
是的,皮埃尔,它甚至可能这样做。
Yes, Pierre, it might even do that.
我们不知道它会对人们产生什么影响。
We don’t know what things it might do for people.
但是,玛丽…皮埃尔,难道你看不出这样的小事和它的意义相比,是多么微不足道吗?
But, Marie… Pierre, can’t you see how, how unimportant little things like this are, compared with what it might mean?
它可以预防重大疾病,甚至死亡。
It might prevent great sicknesses, even deaths.
皮埃尔。
Pierre.
于是他们继续工作,采取一切可能的预防措施。
And so they went on with their work, using every possible precaution.
玛丽的手指治好了。
Marie’s fingers healed.
虽然他们没有找到一种方法可以在一个单独的过程中分离出镭和钡,但他们确实发现了一种方法,可以在无限♥量♥的情况下一点一点地去除钡,这就是他们的理论
And though they did not find a way to separate radium from barium in a single process, they did discover a method of removing barium little by little in infinitesimal amounts, working on the theory
一旦钡全部被移除,就只剩下镭了。
that once the whole of the barium was removed, nothing could be left but radium.
在这里,我们看到了他们必须做的事情。
Here, we see the sort of thing they had to do.
这叫做结晶。
This is called crystallization.
当液体蒸发时,就留下晶体。
When the liquid evaporates, crystals are left.
这是他们不得不一遍又一遍地做的事情。
This was the thing they had to do over and over again.
事实证明,这是他们长♥期♥任务中最艰难的阶段,因为它持续了两年,需要数千次不同的行动。
It proved to be the most exacting of all the stages of their long task, for it continued for two years, and required thousands of separate operations.
到现在为止,他们所做的所有各种工艺的残留物都躺在数百个这样的小蒸发碗里。
By now the residue from all the various processes they had worked at lay in hundreds of these small evaporating bowls.
小,因为更大的量不会蒸发得那么快。
Small, because larger quantities would not evaporate so quickly.
结晶,再结晶,他们希望每一次操作,都能让他们越来越接近伟大的神秘的核心。
Crystallizing and re-crystallizing, each operation, they hoped, bringing them closer and closer to the heart of the great mystery.
最后,他们得到了最终的结晶,其中包含了所有其他结晶的浓缩结果。
At last they arrived at the final crystallization, the one that contained the concentrated result of all the others.
数百个蒸发碗中的最后一个幸存者。
The last survivor out of those hundreds of evaporating bowls.
我想我都想哭了。
I think I feel like crying.
啊,佩罗教授!
Ah, Professor Perot!
佩罗教授。居里夫人。
Professor Perot. Madame Curie.
但恐怕我来得正是时候。
But I’m afraid I’ve come at a rather crucial moment.
不,不。我们已经完成了。
No, no. We have finished.
我们现在除了等没有别的事可做。我很高兴见到你。
We’ve nothing to do now but wait. I’m delighted to see you.
此时此刻,我们最希望和你在一起。
There’s nobody we’d rather have with us at this moment than you.
谢谢你!我还带来了一位杰出的访客。
Thank you. And I have brought with me a very illustrious visitor.
不会有比这些年轻人更杰出的了。
No more illustrious than these young folk will be.
居里的名字将是所有其他名字的开头。
The name of Curie will lead all the rest.
你比我想象的要高很多,孩子。
You’re taller, my boy, considerably, than I imagined.
而你,夫人,如此年轻,如此美丽。
And you, madame, so young, so beautiful.
所以聪明的。谢谢你!
And so brilliant. Thank you.
我不知道哪个是更大的奇迹,你还是镭。
I don’t know which is the greater miracle, you or radium.
你来介绍我吧,佩罗?
Why don’t you introduce me, Perot?
我想我知道了。这不是开尔文勋爵吗?
I think I know. Isn’t it Lord Kelvin?
见不到你们俩,我绝不回伦敦。
I absolutely refused to return to London without meeting you both.
只要在世的最伟大的科学家相信镭的存在,其他人怎么想似乎都不重要。
As long as the greatest living scientist believed in the existence of radium, what the others thought didn’t seem to matter.
这是一些蒸发皿。
Here are a few of the evaporating dishes.
你做了多少晶体化?
How many crystallizations did you make?
数百名,我想?
Hundreds, I suppose?
告诉他,皮埃尔。请看这儿,先生。
Tell him, Pierre. Look here, sir.
五千六百七十七。
Five thousand, six hundred and seventy-seven.
我想最后的结晶是在里面吧?
And the last crystallization is in there, I suppose?
五千六百七十七。
Five thousand, six hundred and seventy-seven.
最后的结晶。
The last crystallization.
多么历史性的时刻啊。
What an historic moment.
这个小碗代表了8吨♥沥青铀矿,以及4年的工作成果。
That little bowl represents eight tons of pitchblende, and four years of work.
几小时后,水就会消失,剩下的只有镭。
In a few hours, the water will be gone and only radium will remain.
纯镭。
Pure radium.
我很想留下来看看,但今天是新年前夜,我的家人在伦敦等着我。
I’m sorely tempted to stay and see it, but it’s New Year’s Eve and my family’s expecting me in London.
这样也好。
And it’s just as well.
这个伟大的时刻应该属于你们俩。
This great moment should belong to the two of you.
一个人。
Alone.
我的朋友们,你将开始新的一年,这将标志着你的名声。
You begin the year, my friends, that will mark your fame.
再见。再见。
Goodbye. Goodbye.
再见。再见,先生。
Goodbye. Goodbye, sir.
快点,佩罗,我的火车不会等我的。
Come along, Perot, my train won’t wait.
再见,亲爱的。再见。
Goodbye, dear. Goodbye.
再见。
Goodbye.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!