下星期我将回到巴黎,亲眼看看镭。
I shall come back to Paris next week and see radium with my own eyes.
同时,今晚给我发封电报,把情况说明一下。
Meantime, send me a telegram tonight and describe it to me.
我们那边有个诗人写了一些适合这个场合的东西。
We have a poet over there who wrote something apt for this occasion.
“送旧的,送新的,”送假的,送真的。”
“Ring out the old, ring in the new, “Bring out the false, bring in the true.”
再见。上帝保佑你。
Goodbye. God bless you.
再见。再见。
Goodbye. Goodbye.
多好的人啊。
What a wonderful man.
真正伟大的人总是单纯善良的。
The really great men are always simple and good.
是的。
Yes.
-我们都很累了。——是的。
– We’re both very tired. – Yes.
我们应该休息一下吗?很好。
Should we try and get some rest? Very well.
现在坐在这儿,我给你披上这袍子。
Sit here now and I’ll cover you with this robe.
在那里。
There.
把你的椅子拉近一点,皮埃尔。我联♥系♥不到你。
Pull your chair closer, Pierre. I can’t reach you.
在那里,那是更好的。
There, that’s better.
让我们试着睡一会儿吧。
Let’s try and doze off.
皮埃尔。
Pierre.
几点了?
What time is it?
我们睡了多久了?一定的时间。
How long have we slept? Must be time.
这是五点。
It’s 5:00.
现在必须明确了。必须有。
Must be crystallized by now. Must be there.
镭一定在那里。
Our radium must be there.
来吧。
Come on.
你介意吗?你先看。
Do you mind? You look first.
什么也没有。
There’s nothing there.
什么都没有。
Not a trace of anything.
不是一粒。
Not a grain.
只有这个污渍。
Only this stain.
发生了什么,皮埃尔?
What’s happened, Pierre?
我们的镭在哪儿?我们做了什么?在哪里?
Where’s our radium? What have we done? Where is it?
发生了什么事?在哪儿,皮埃尔?
What’s happened? Where is it, Pierre?
我不知道。
I don’t know.
我们做错了什么?我们能做什么?
What did we do that was wrong? What could we have done?
我们没做错什么。我受不了了,皮埃尔。
We’ve done nothing wrong. I can’t stand it, Pierre.
镭在哪里?
Where is our radium?
我们工作了很多年很多年。它一定在那儿。它一定在那儿。
We worked for years and years and years. It must be there. It must be there.
在这个小屋里待了四年。
Four long years in this shed.
四年之久。
Four long years.
是你吗?是的,父亲。
Is that you? Yes, Father.
我们得对你的孩子做点什么。
Well, something’s got to be done about that child of yours.
我觉得你应该把它拿回去。
I think you ought to take it back.
为了让她吃晚饭,我不得不倒立。
I had to stand on my head to make her eat her supper.
现在她……现在她……现在,直到她妈妈给她讲故事,她才去睡觉。
And now she… Now she… Now she won’t go to bed until her mother tells her a story.
我想知道我的故事怎么了。
I’d like to know what’s the matter with my stories.
它们是相同的故事。
They’re the same stories.
我要到她跟前去。
I’ll go up to her.
然后发生了什么,妈妈?
Then what happened, Mommy?
对不起,艾琳,亲爱的。
I’m sorry, Irene, darling.
妈妈今晚不能再告诉你了。
Mother just can’t tell you any more tonight.
哦,妈妈,请。
Oh, Mommy, please.
怎么了,妈妈?
What’s the matter, Mommy?
但我想知道发生了什么,妈妈。
But I want to know what happened, Mommy.
如果你闭上眼睛,爸爸会给你讲故事。
If you close your eyes tight, Daddy will tell you a story.
它是什么?
What’s it about?
是关于…它讲的是一个奇异而奇妙的宝藏被锁在一块被施了魔法的石头里。
Well, uh, it’s about… It’s about a strange and wonderful treasure that was locked up in an enchanted stone.
里面不是有个公主吗?
Isn’t there a princess in it?
是的,一个公主。
Yes, a princess.
一位美丽的金发公主。
A beautiful princess with golden hair.
还有王子吗?
Is there a prince, too?
不,不是一个王子,而是一个孤独的人,直到公主发现他。
No, not a prince, but a man who lived all alone until the princess found him.
他们彼此相爱吗?
Did they love each other?
非常感谢。
Very much.
好了,爸爸。我的眼睛闭着。
All right, Daddy. My eyes are closed.
好,现在……有一天,公主告诉他这个奇妙的宝藏。
Well, now… One day, the princess told the man about this wonderful treasure.
所以他们决定一起去寻找它。
So they decided to go in search of it together.
当然,没有人见过这些宝藏。
Now, no one had ever seen this treasure, of course.
但是公主知道它就在那里。
But the princess knew that it was there.
她知道,如果人们能从石头里挖出来,也许能让人们看到以前看不到的奇妙事物。
And she knew if they could get it out of the stone, it might let people see wonderful things that they had never been able to see before.
所以他们努力工作了很长很长时间,试图从石头中救出财宝,他们变得非常疲惫。
So they worked very hard for a long, long time to try and rescue the treasure from the stone and they grew very tired.
最后,他们知道他们永远也不可能把财宝从魔法石中解救出来。
And at last, they knew that they would never be able to free the treasure from the enchantment of the stone.
但他们并不为此感到悲伤。
But they weren’t sad about it.
因为他们知道,无论他们有多少失望,他们将永远一起走下去,有勇气承受许多失望,因为他们在一起。
Because they knew that no matter how many disappointments they had, they would always go on together, having the courage to take many disappointments because they were together.
从此他们过上了幸福的生活。
And they lived happily ever after.
她是睡着了。
She’s asleep.
我们答应过大卫…但我想你自然不会觉得…哦,我想起来了,新年派对。
You know, we promised David that… But I suppose you naturally wouldn’t feel like… Oh, I remember, the New Year’s party.
当然了,你不想去…皮埃尔,我们承诺。我们走吧。
But of course, you don’t feel like going… Pierre, we promised. Let’s go.
我宁愿。
I’d rather.
它可能会有所帮助。
It might help.
好。好,然后。
Good. Good, then.
新年快乐。
Happy New Year.
新年快乐。
Happy New Year.
新年快乐。新年快乐。
Happy New Year. Happy New Year.
新年快乐,玛丽。
Happy New Year, Marie.
新年快乐,皮埃尔。
Happy New Year, Pierre.
玛丽。
Marie.
别再想它了,玛丽,去睡觉吧。
Try to put it out of your mind, Marie, and go to sleep.
我不能。我不能接受,皮埃尔。
I can’t. I can’t accept it, Pierre.
玛丽,有些事你必须接受。
Marie, sometimes there are things you just must accept.
要是我知道失败的原因就好了。
If I only knew why we’d failed.
我想如果我知道失败的原因,我就不会那么在意失败本身了。
I think the failure itself I wouldn’t mind so much, if I only knew the reason for it.
好几个月好几个月前,我们知道我们找到了正确的使用方法。
Months and months and months ago, we knew we’d found the right process to use.
现在,在最后,为什么它会突然失败?
Now, at the very end, why should it suddenly fail?
我不知道。我不知道。
I don’t know. I don’t know.
皮埃尔,碟子上的污点。
Pierre, that stain on the saucer.
是吗?
Yes?
我们都没测试过,对吧?
We didn’t even test it, did we?
不,我们没有。
No, we didn’t.
我们想要找到的是一定数量的镭,不是吗?
What we were expecting to find was a definite amount of radium, wasn’t it?
我们可以看到和感觉到的东西。
Something we could see and feel.
就跟一小撮盐一样多,你说的。
About as much as a pinch of salt, you said.
是的。
Yes.
皮埃尔,如果是…如果只是数量的问题呢?
Pierre, what if it’s… What if it’s merely a question of amount?
如果镭与我们所使用的材料相比实在是太少了,以至于我们现在都看不见它,那该怎么办?
What if there’s so little radium in proportion to the amount of material we’ve used, that even now we couldn’t see it?
如果那个污点,即使是最微不足道的呼吸……
What if that stain, even if it were the merest, merest breath…
继续。
Go on.
皮埃尔。
Pierre.
会……会不会是镭造成的?
Could it… Could it be that that stain is radium?
皮埃尔!
Pierre!
它的存在!
It’s there!
镭。它的存在!它的存在!
The radium. It’s there! It’s there!
皮埃尔!
Pierre!
它的存在!
It’s there!
它的存在!
It’s there!
它的存在!它的存在!
It’s there! It’s there!
哦,皮埃尔。
Oh, Pierre.
他们在哪儿?他们在巴黎吗?他们在哪里,我们就去哪里。
Where are they? Are they in Paris? We’ll go wherever they are.
我不会告诉你他们在哪的。
I’m not going to tell you where they are.
但是居里博士,我是伦敦时报的代表。
But Dr. Curie, I am the representative of the London Times.
在座的还有来自世界各大国的新闻界的代表。
And there are representatives here from the presses of all the great nations in the world.
居里博士和夫人没意识到他们无法躲避媒体吗?
Don’t Dr. and Madame Curie realize they can’t hide from the press?
全世界都因他们的发现而激动不已。
The whole world is afire from their discovery.
公众想要了解他们。
The public wants to know about them.
我们听说他们拒绝为他们的镭收任何钱,但他们正在把它卖♥♥给全世界。
We have heard that they have refused to take any money for their radium, but they are giving it to the world.
诺贝尔奖颁给了一位女性。
The Nobel Prize to a woman.
这些都是很重要的事情,居里博士,必须告诉全世界。
These are important matters, Dr. Curie, and the world must be told about them.
是的,公众必须知道。
Yes, the public must know.
他们是免费赠送的吗?
Did they give it away free?
他们现在在哪里?
Where are they now?
先生们,我只知道皮埃尔和玛丽很累。
Gentlemen, all I know is that Pierre and Marie are very tired.
他们接受的采访太多了,我看不出还有什么公众会感兴趣的。
They’ve been interviewed so much that I can’t see there’s anything more to tell that the public would be interested in.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!