我想我很愚蠢。
I suppose I’m being very foolish.
一些最伟大的科学成就都来自于同样的愚蠢。
Some of the greatest achievements of science have come through that same type of foolishness.
当世界上每个人都相信某件事的解释时,在某个地方可能有一个人不能完全接受它,他本能地说,
When an explanation is given of something, and everyone in the world believes it, there may be one person somewhere who can’t quite accept it, who instinctively says,
“我不确定这样的解释是否充分。
“I’m not sure that this is sufficient explanation.
“可能还有别的原因。”
“There may be something beyond this.”
这就是那种愚蠢,玛丽。
It’s that kind of foolishness, Marie.
我肯定不是那种人。
Well, I’m not that person, that’s sure.
你怎么知道?也许你是。
How do you know? Perhaps you are.
也许贝克勒尔医生只是把大门半开着。
Perhaps Doctor Becquerel has only set the gate ajar.
前面可能还有很长的路要走。
There may be a long, unexplored road ahead.
我都不知道该怎么开口,皮埃尔。
I wouldn’t even know how to start, Pierre.
我不知道该怎么办。
I wouldn’t know what to do.
我很高兴我们结为夫妻,皮埃尔。
I’m very glad we’re married to each other, Pierre.
亲爱的。
Darling.
你好,玛丽。
Hello, Marie.
我今天的课上问了我最蠢的问题。
My class kept me today with the most stupid questions.
我以为我永远也逃不掉了。
I thought I’d never get away.
就在今晚,当我们有客人的时候…
And just tonight, when we’re having guests…
我遇到了一个严重的问题。
I had a terrible problem.
我希望我得到了你想让我得到的东西。
I hope I got the things you wanted me to get.
我把做笔记的纸条弄丢了,我不记得是萝卜还是胡萝卜,所以我两个都买♥♥了。
I lost the slip I made the notes on, and I couldn’t remember whether it was turnips or carrots, so I got both.
妈妈喜欢胡萝卜,爸爸喜欢萝卜,这是给厨师的花。
Mother likes carrots and Father likes turnips, and here’s some flowers for the cook.
谢谢你,皮埃尔。
Thank you, Pierre.
怎么了,玛丽?
What’s the matter, Marie?
哦,皮埃尔,我太气馁了。
Oh, Pierre, I’m so discouraged.
看来我的方法是完全错误的。
It looks as if this method of mine is all wrong.
我想知道我是不是在尝试一些我不知道的事情。
I wonder if I’m trying something that’s beyond me.
到底哪里出了问题?
What is it exactly that’s wrong?
我不知道。
I don’t know.
我的测量。它们没有任何意义。
My measurements. They don’t mean anything.
我知道我一定是在哪里犯了错,但我不知道是在哪里。
I know I must be making mistakes somewhere, but I don’t know where it is.
我已经检查了200遍了。
I’ve checked them and I’ve rechecked them 200 times.
可能是静电计坏了。
Maybe the electrometer is not working right.
这就是我所担心的。
That’s what I’m afraid of.
我希望你能帮我检查一下,皮埃尔。
I wish you’d examine it for me, Pierre.
(我明天再看。)今晚就忘了吧。
I’ll go over it tomorrow. Let’s forget it tonight.
我们不要谈论,甚至不要思考实验室。
Let’s not talk, not even think, about the laboratory.
承诺吗?
Promise?
我保证。
I promise.
皮埃尔,怎么了?
Well, Pierre, what is it?
玛丽,关于这些测量,你觉得静电计的容量会发生什么变化吗?
Marie, about those measurements, do you think anything could’ve happened to change the capacity of the electrometer?
我们今晚不是应该忘了实验室的事吗?
Weren’t we supposed to forget about the laboratory tonight?
我忘了,对不起。没有了,没有了。非常抱歉。
I forgot, I’m sorry. No more, no more. I’m terribly sorry.
在这儿呢。我的外套在哪里?
Here they are. Where’s my coat?
我们到了。啊,你好,皮埃尔。
Here we are. Ah, hello, Pierre.
妈妈。亲爱的,亲爱的。
Mother. Dear, dear.
我闻到萝卜。
I smell turnips.
我们给你准备了胡萝卜,妈妈。哦,你真好。
We’ve got carrots for you, Mother. Oh, how sweet of you.
我给你带了点我的新梅子果冻。
Oh, I brought you some of my new plum jelly.
哦,谢谢你,妈妈。
Oh, thank you, Mother.
她做的,但我带来的。啊,谢谢你,神父。
She made it, but I brought it. Ah, thank you, Father.
把你的东西给我。你的外套,爸爸。
Let me have your things. Your coat, Father.
是的。你对她不够好,皮埃尔。她看起来达到顶峰。
Yeah. You’re not treating her right, Pierre. She looks peaked.
哦,别傻了。
Oh, don’t be silly.
亲爱的,你看起来真可爱。
Why, you look lovely, dear.
还是一样,她太瘦了。
Just the same, she’s too thin.
我说,没有孩子的女人是寄生虫。
And I say, a woman without a child is a parasite.
她以生命为食,却不愿以生命作为回报。
She feeds on life, but isn’t willing to give life in return.
她拥有生活的借口是什么?她为什么会出生呢?
What has been her excuse to have life? Why was she ever born?
她是一个吸血鬼。不要骂人,尤金。
She’s a bloodsucker. Don’t call names, Eugene.
你在听我说话吗?
Are you listening to me?
当然,一个没有孩子的女人是吸血鬼。
Of course, a woman without a child is a bloodsucker.
他不是说你,亲爱的。是的,她就是我说的那个人。
He didn’t mean you, my dear. Oh, yes, she’s just the one I did mean.
但我马上就要有孩子了。
But I am going to have a child.
什么时候?很快,我希望。
When? Soon, I hope.
哦,我亲爱的。玛丽……是的,亲爱的?
Oh, my dear. Marie… Yes, dear?
啧啧,看谁终于要说点什么了。
Tsk, tsk, look who’s gonna say something at last.
你确定绝缘材料是干的吗?
Are you sure the insulation was dry?
是的,皮埃尔。
Yes, Pierre.
他最近挺健谈的,是吧?
He’s getting quite chatty lately, isn’t he?
嘘。不要打扰他们。
Shh. Don’t bother them.
他们在想什么。我不相信。
They’re thinking of something. I don’t believe it.
你检查地线了吗?
Did you check the ground connection?
为什么,没有。我还以为你给我的时候井井有条呢。
Why, no. I thought you gave it to me in good order.
有时它会松动,你不会注意到。
Well, sometimes it works loose, and you don’t notice it.
皮埃尔,这是可能的,不是吗?
Pierre, that could be possible, couldn’t it?
是的。是的,当然。
Yes. Yes, of course.
我们必须做的是把这条线从头到尾完全检查一遍。
The thing we must do is check that line completely from one end to the other.
那样的话,我的测量可能是正确的。
In that case, my measurements may be correct.
是的。
Yes.
那么这几个月的努力终究不会错。
Then all these months of work wouldn’t be wrong, after all.
这是正确的。
That’s right.
皮埃尔,就是这样。一定是这样。
Pierre, that’s it. That must be it.
一定是这样。是的,一定是这样。
That must be it. Yes, that must be it.
好吧,好吧。去检查一下吧。
All right, all right. Go ahead and check it.
父亲,只是…玛丽在工作上遇到了很多挫折。没关系。
Father, it’s just that… Well, Marie’s had so many setbacks with her work. That’s all right.
别停下来解释,说吧。请原谅我们。
Don’t stop to explain, go ahead. Do please forgive us.
只是我已经等了好几个月了。
It’s just that I’ve been waiting so many months.
没事的,亲爱的。
It’s all right, my dear.
希望你不介意我多待一会儿喝完我的咖啡。
I hope you won’t mind if I stay long enough to finish my coffee.
请做。我们会在你走之前赶回来的。
Please do. We’ll try and get back before you go.
谢谢你,我的孩子。谢谢你!
Thank you, my boy. Thank you.
你知道吗,有时候我觉得你儿子不太好。
You know, sometimes I think that son of yours is not quite all there.
和你共进晚餐真是太好了。
It was awfully nice having dinner with you.
很高兴和你共进晚餐。
Nice having dinner with you.
你知道,我从来没来过这个家……喝你的咖啡,尤金。
You know, I never come to this house… Drink your coffee, Eugene.
每次都是这样。
It happens every time.
好吗?
Well?
没关系。
It’s all right.
这没什么不对的。我错了。
There’s nothing wrong with it. I was wrong.
我确信我们已经找到了。
I was sure we’d found it.
嗯…现在我不知道了。我很抱歉。
Well… Now I don’t know. I’m sorry.
你测试了所有的元素。你确定吗,玛丽?
You tested all of the elements. You’re sure of that, Marie?
是的,我确定,皮埃尔。
Yes, I’m positive, Pierre.
你发现其中只有两个,铀和钍,会发出射线。
And you found that only two of them, uranium and thorium, gave off rays.
这是正确的。然后你测量了沥青铀矿中的铀和钍?
That’s right. Then you measured the uranium and thorium in the pitchblende ore?
就在那时我遇到了麻烦。
And that’s when I ran into trouble.
沥青铀矿的放射性比我能用铀和钍的含量来解释的还要强。
The pitchblende had more radioactivity than I could explain by the amount of uranium and thorium it had in it.
玛丽,你想给我看看你是怎么量尺寸的吗?
Would you like to show me how you make your measurements, Marie?
你不介意吗?当然不是。
You wouldn’t mind? Of course not.
好吧。
All right.
我做过很多次,都数不清了。
Here’s what I’ve done so many times that I’ve lost count.
这是粗沥青铀矿。
Here is crude pitchblende.
现在,我们知道这些射线来自于铀和钍,它们在沥青铀矿中。
Now, we know that the rays come from the uranium and the thorium that are in this pitchblende.
这两种元素发出射线。正确的。
Those two elements give off the rays. Correct.
我把沥青铀矿放进了臼里…砂浆一直都清洗过吗?
I put the pitchblende in this mortar… Has the mortar always been cleaned?
总是这样。然后把它磨碎。
Always. And grind it up.
这是地面沥青铀矿,里面仍然有铀和钍。
Here’s the ground pitchblende, still with uranium and thorium in it.
我总是把盘子装满。
I always fill the dish level full.
我每次都是这样做的。
This is the way I’ve done it every time.
然后我把它放在静电计上。
Then I place it in the electrometer.
然后结案,这样就不会有麻烦了。
And I close the case so there’s no draft.
好。
Good.
然后给静电计充电。
Then I charge the electrometer.
现在我们就能知道沥青铀矿中的射线有多少能量了,对吗?正确的。开始。
Now we’ll find out how much energy the rays in the pitchblende have, is that right? Right. Start.
准备好了吗?阅读。
Ready? Read.
八个八个
Eight. Eight.
我一直都有同样的解读。
Same reading I’ve always had.
这个沥青铀矿,加上铀和钍,总共是8。
This pitchblende, with the uranium and the thorium still in it, comes to eight.
这是从相同数量的沥青铀矿中提取的纯铀。
Now, here is pure uranium abstracted from the same amount of pitchblende.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!