你听来就像你讨厌希腊
It sounds out of repair.
那里听来很残破
A heap of old stones without any paint on.
一堆没涂颜料的旧石头
We shall know what it is if you fall over this time,
若你这次昏倒,我们会知道为什么
Mr. Durham.
杜兰先生
Your health, and the health of all the ladies.
祝你跟所有女士健康
Maurice, come. The ladies.
莫里斯,来,敬女士
Oh, the ladies.
敬女士
The ladies.
敬女士
Dear Clive,
亲爱的克莱夫
still no word from you,
我还是没有你的消息
so here is my news.
我要告诉你我的近况
I am practicing a regimen of severe self-discipline.
我在进行严格的自律
Our Wednesdays and our weekends
礼拜三跟周末
I spend in the darkest reaches of Bermondsey
我在柏蒙西最黑暗的地方
with the dockers lads at the mission.
跟教区的码头工人一起
It’s a far cry from our metropolitan pleasures.
这跟都市的乐趣差别很大
I am supposed to be teaching them the gentle art of boxing.
理应是我教他们拳击术
More often than not,I get the pummeling.
但经常是我在挨拳头
Preferable to the pummeling you gave me
我比较喜欢
at the Wig more Hall, ha, ha.
你在威格摩厅给我的拳头,哈…
Most of the other evenings I spend working
其他时间的晚上我在看
through that reading list you once gave me.
你从前给我的书单的书
Clive, I’m so worried at not hearing from you.
克莱夫,没有你的消息让我担心
I get no sleep worrying
我担心得睡不着觉
for fear that you’ve fallen ill again.
怕你又生病了
I’ve looked out your connections and would expect you back by Tuesday week.
我查了你的班次,你礼拜二会回来
Wire, if you can, on reaching Dover.
可以的话,到多弗发电报给我
I don’t have to tell you how much I miss you.
我不必告诉你我有多想念你
Mr. Durham. Oh, Maurice is away tonight on business.
杜兰先生,莫里斯今晚出差去了
Oh, no, where’s he gone? – Don’t ask me.
他去哪里了?﹣别问我
We know even less about him than when you were last here, if you think that’s possible.
我们比上次你来时更不清楚他的事了
He keeps everything so secret.
他非常神秘
Mother, Ada, Mr. Durham is back from Greece.
妈,爱妲,杜兰先生从希腊回来了
What was Greece like?
希腊是什么样子?
Um, rather disappointing,I’m afraid.
恐怕令人颇为失望
It’s not exactly what I’d expected it would be.
跟我的期望完全不一样
Why didn’t you let us know? There’ll be nothing but pie.
你怎么没通知我们?家里只剩派了
We would’ve given you a real English dinner.
否则我们会给你正统的英国菜
Don’t worry, I can’t stay to dinner anyway
别担心,我不能住下来
No, Mr. Durham, you must stop the night.
杜兰先生,你一定要留下来过夜
We’ve missed you,
我们很想念你
haven’t we, Ada, Kitty?
爱妲、基蒂,对吗?
Maurice told us you’d be back last week.
莫里斯说你上礼拜会回来
He was so disappointed.
他很失望
We can practice on you.
我们可以拿你来练习
We’ve joined an ambulance class.
我们参加了急救课程
We need a victim to bandage up.
我们需要病患来缠绷带
It was Dr. Barry’s idea.
这是巴瑞医生的主意
He says there’s going to be a war soon.
他说快开战了
You sound just like Maurice.
你说话就像莫里斯
Your voices are wonderfully alike.
你们的声音很像
It’s ’cause I have a cold.
那是因为我感冒了
No, you are alike, you do have the same voice.
不,你们很像,你们的声音一样
And nose, and by that, of course, I mean the mouth, too.
鼻子也是,还有嘴巴也是
And also his good spirits and good health.
还有他的好精神与健康
Kitty, on the other hand,has his brains.
基蒂有他的脑子
Ow, that really hurts!
好痛
Yeah, well, it’s my hair.
对,那是我的头发
That’s very good, Kitty. Thank you.
基蒂,很好,谢谢你
These are excellent,I feel so much better.
太好了,我觉得好多了
If you knew what it was to be in England.
但愿你们知道英国有多棒
Is Greece not nice?
希腊不好吗?
Horrible. – Maurice said you’d like Greece.
糟透了﹣莫里斯说你喜欢希腊
Maurice doesn’t know.
莫里斯不晓得
I’m happy you’re back.
我很高兴你回来了
Maurice is home.
莫里斯到家了
Clive.
克莱夫
Come out of all that, Clive. Why did you let them?
克莱夫,拆掉,你干嘛让她们缠?
I say he looks well.
你的气色很好
You look well. Come and have a drink.
你的气色很好,来喝一杯吧
I’ll unpick you. No, girls, not you.
我帮你拆掉,你们不能来
Why didn’t you answer my letters?
你为什么不回我的信?
Don’t you love me anymore?
你不爱我了吗?
All that must be tomorrow.
明天再说
Quite so. Have a drink.
对,喝一杯吧
Maurice, I don’t want a row.
莫里斯,我不想吵架
I do, I want a row,and I’ll have it.
我想吵架,那我自己喝
Why didn’t you write?
你为什么不写信?
What secrets are you keeping from me?
你有什么秘密隐瞒着我?
I was trying to work things out, and I couldn’t explain in a letter.
我在想事情,信里说不清楚
One oughtn’t to have secrets, or they get worse.
人不应该有秘密,否则会更糟
One ought to talk. No, thank you.
人应该说出来﹣不要,谢谢
Talk, talk, talk.
尽情说吧
Provided one has someone to talk to.
有人可以说的话,要不停地说
As you and I have.
就像你我有彼此一样
I’ve thought about this solidly for the last month and a half.
这一个半月,我很认真想了这件事
We’ve got to change, you and I.
你和我必须改变
Can the leopard change his spots?
花豹能改变它的斑纹吗?
Clive, you’re in a muddle.
克莱夫,你现在很混乱
What is it you’re afraid to tell me?
你有什么事情不敢告诉我?
Surely we’ve got pasts paring each other.
我们会宽容对方
You can’t trust anyone else.
你不能信任别人
You and I are outlaws.
你跟我不为社会所见容
All this will be taken away from us if people knew.
如果曝光,我们的一切都会被剥夺
Precisely.
没错
By continuing like this,
继续像这样下去
you and I are risking everything we have.
你跟我可能会失去一切
Our careers, our,our families, our names.
我们的前途、家人、名声
Balls! I don’t give a damn about name.
胡说,我才不在乎名声
What sort of a life would I have without you?
没有你,我的人生该怎么办?
I risk everything, and gladly,
我愿意赌上一切
because the one thing I dread losing is you.
因为我只害怕失去你
You’re the only happiness there is for me.
你是我唯一的幸福
There are other ways to be happy, you know.
幸福有别的方法
We could explore those a little.
我们可以探索一下
Not for me. – Maurice,
我不要﹣莫里斯
think how easy life is for people
你想想这些人的生活有多轻松
who don’t have to go through all this.
不必遭受这一切
This…secrecy.
这种…偷偷摸摸
Never being able to talk about the person whom you’re in love with to anybody.
永远无法跟任何人谈你爱的人
Imagining the servants are thinking things.
想想仆人的臆测
And always being asked when you’re gonna get married,
老是被问何时要结婚
and having every bloody girl paraded in front of you
每个女生都在你面前晃来晃去
’cause your family’s so desperate.
因为你的家人很着急
You want to get married, is that it?
你想结婚,是这样吗?
You’re in love with some girl? Who is it?
你爱上某个女生吗?是谁?
No one.
没有
But don’t you think it would be wonderful
但你不认为这样很棒吗?
if there, if there was someone
如果有个女生能让我关心
who I could care about in the same way that I do about you?
就像我关心你一样?
We love each other, and know it.
我们知道彼此相爱
For God’s sake, Maurice, hold your tongue for a moment.
老天,莫里斯,先别说话
If I were in love with anyone now,
如果我现在爱上任何一个人
then it would be with some nice girl.
对方会是好女孩
Like Ada. – Ada?
就像爱妲﹣爱妲?
I take her at random as an example.
我是拿她随便举例
You scarcely know Ada.
你跟爱妲根本不熟
Don’t be so stupid. Try to understand.
别傻了,试着去了解
We must change.
我们必须改变
I like you enormously.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!