I’m sorry to have insulted you.
抱歉我侮辱了你
Durham, I love you,
杜兰,我爱你
in my very own way. – Rubbish!
以我自己的方式﹣胡说八道!
As you so rightly said. Good night.
你说得没错,晚安
I do. I think I have always.
我真的爱你,我想一直都是
Look.
听着
It’s like the good, blundering creature that you are to try to comfort me,
你就像好心笨拙的人试图安慰我
but there are limits.
但事情有限度
I’m thankful that it was into your hands I fell.
我很感激我喜欢上的是你
Most men would have reported me to the dean,
大多数的男人会向院长检举我
or the police.
或是警♥察♥
Damn you, Durham.
杜兰,去你的
Maurice.
莫里斯
I love you.
我爱你
I love you.
我爱你
Hall.
霍尔
It’s the dean. -Lord!
院长来了﹣老天!
Don’t you have a lecture? – I overslept!
你不用上课吗?﹣我睡过头了
Hall! Stop when I speak to you!
霍尔,停下来,我在跟你说话
Do you realize…
你可知道…
I…
我…
I would have gone through life half-awake
我会半梦半醒度过一生
if you’d had the decency to leave me alone?
如果你因为识体而离开我?
Why me?
为什么是我?
Perhaps we woke up each other.
或许我们唤醒了彼此
No. – Can’t you kiss me?
不行﹣你不能吻我吗?
I think, I think it would bring us,
我想…我想这会让我们…
I think it would bring us down.
我想这会让我们堕落
I think it would spoil everything.
我认为这会破坏一切
This harmony.
这份和谐
Body,
身…
mind, soul.
心、灵
I don’t think women have even guessed.
我认为女人猜不到
But you know.
但是你知道
Why did you not stop when I called you?
我叫你的时候,你为何不停下来?
Yesterday you cut chapel, four lectures,
昨天你没去礼拜堂,翘了四堂课
including my own translation class.
包括我的翻译课
And, Hall, you’ve done this sort of thing before.
霍尔,你以前就做过这种事
It’s unnecessary to add impertinence, don’t you think?
不必再加傲慢这一条了吧
Very well. I’m sending you down.
好,我要勒令你退学
You will catch the 12 o’clock.
你搭12点的车离开
Unless you write mea letter of apology,
除非你写一封道歉函来
I shall not recommend your readmission to college in October.
否则十月我不会建议让你复学
If it had been a girl in the sidecar,
如果旁边载的是女生
Cornwallis would never have kicked up a stink.
柯恩瓦里斯绝对不会不满
Everyone cuts lectures.
每个人都会跷课
I’ve done nothing wrong.
我没做错事
I refuse to say that I have. What’ll you do?
我拒绝承认﹣你要怎么办?
Go into the stock market like Father did.
像我爸一样投入股市
I don’t need one of their rotten degrees.
我才不需要他们的烂学位
You will come to Pendersleigh?
你会来潘德史莱吧?
Bye!
再见!
Not quite what you expected, eh?
跟你想的不太一样吗?
Dr. Barry, not quite as anyone expected.
巴瑞医生,跟任何人想的都不一样
Still, these past few weeks, it’s become apparent to me that
但过去这几礼拜,在我看来
it’s time a man was here to head this household again.
该由男人再来持家了
Well, it’s all for the best.
这样对大家都好
What do you want with a degree?
你要学位做什么?
They were never meant for the suburban classes.
那本来就不是市郊阶级该拿的
I mean, you’re not going to become a parson or a barrister or a pedagogue,
你不会成为牧师、律师或教师
and you’re not a, you’re not a country gentleman.
你也不是乡绅
No, it’s a sheer waste of time.
这只是浪费时间
The city’s your place.
你应该在城市发展
Absolutely right to insult the dean.
侮辱院长对极了
If anything,I’ve been insulted by him.
是我被他侮辱了
Treated like a schoolboy.
被当成小学生看待
You see, your mother doesn’t understand how you feel.
你母亲不了解你的感受
She’s worried because you don’t apologize.
你不肯道歉让她担心
To my mind, these things work themselves out.
对我来说,这些事情会自行解决
You see, you’ve got yourself into an atmosphere
你自己进入一个环境中
for which you were not suited,
却不适合你
and you very properly took the first chance to get out.
你恰当地一找到机会就离开
How do you mean? – Oh, still not clear?
什么意思?﹣这样还不清楚吗?
I mean that a gentleman would have apologized by instinct
绅士会出于本能道歉
if he’d found that he’d behaved as you did.
如果他发现自己的行为跟你一样
I think it’s time I turned in.
我想我该回去休息了
How dare you bully your mother, Maurice.
莫里斯,你胆敢欺负你母亲
You ought to be horsewhipped.
有人应该抽你一顿鞭子
Swaggering about instead of begging her to forgive you.
大肆吹嘘却不知请求她的原谅
She comes to me with tears in her eyes and asks me to say something.
她哭着来找我,要我说点什么
But… – Don’t answer me, sir, don’t answer me. I want none of your speech.
可是…﹣不要回答我,我不要听你说
You’re a disgrace to chivalry.
你侮辱了骑士风范
Oh! I’m disappointed and disgusted with you.
你令我失望作呕
Oh, Morrie darling, we all looked forward so much to May Week.
莫里斯,我们都很期待五月赛艇周
Mother, do stop crying.
妈,别哭了
It’ll only make him think he’s important.
这只会让他自以为重要
He’ll write to the dean as soon as no one wants him to.
没人要他写信时,他就会写给院长了
Kitty, I won’t.
基蒂,我不会写
I don’t see why you shouldn’t.
我不懂你为什么不写
Little girls don’t see a great deal.
小女孩不懂的事情还很多
I see a great deal more than some little boys who think they’re little men.
我比自以为是男人的小男孩懂得多
(1910年,潘德史莱公园)
Mrs. Sheepshanks. – Oh, how very complimentary.
希山克太太﹣你真好
Thank you so much. Skeggs, Olivia.
多谢了,史盖克,奥莉薇
Woolly, dear.
亲爱的伍莉
I think everyone should curtsy, don’t you?
我认为每个人都应该行屈膝礼
I’ve had such an interesting talk with Mr. Hall.
我跟霍尔先生聊得很开心
And isn’t Clive handsome?
克莱夫很英俊吧?
Mother, this is Maurice Hall.
妈,这位是莫里斯霍尔
Welcome to Pendersleigh, Mr. Hall.
霍尔先生,欢迎你来潘德史莱
How do you do?
你好吗?
Woolly. Yes, it’s so lovely to see you.
伍莉﹣很高兴见到你
No, leave those, come on.
别管了,来吧
Oh, by the way, if my mother or my sister ask you
对了,如果我妈或我妹
to do this or that tomorrow, don’t worry.
明天要你做东做西,别担心
Say yes if you want,
想要的话就答应
but you’re actually going to ride with me, and they know it.
但她们知道你要跟我一起骑马
It’s just their ritual.
这只是她们的习惯性行为
But I haven’t brought any riding breeches.
但我没有带马裤来
Ah, well, I can’t associate with you in that case.
这样我就不能找你了
Deep breath.
深呼吸
You must be Mr. Hall.
你一定是霍尔先生
I’m Pippa Durham, Clive’s sister.
我是碧芭杜兰,克莱夫的妹妹
Yes, he’s…
是的,他…
May I introduce Mr. London? Mr. Hall.
容我介绍伦顿先生,霍尔先生
How do you do? Archie London. – How do you do?
你好吗?我是亚齐伦顿﹣你好吗?
I’m the lucky devil who’s to marry her.
我是要娶她的幸运儿
I’m commandeering troops for canvassing tomorrow, tariff reform.
我明天要召集人去拉票,关税改革
Yes, stop bullying, Pippa. – Are you interested?
碧芭,别欺负人了﹣你有兴趣吗
Certainly, I’d be delighted. – Good, there
当然有,我很乐意﹣很好
Mama. Mr. Hall is sound.
妈妈,霍尔先生人很好
Pippa, dear, does Mr. Hall know his room?
碧芭,霍尔先生知道他的房♥间吗?
The Blue Room, Mama.
妈妈,他住蓝室
The Blue Room? Poor man.
蓝室?可怜的人
The one with the smoking fireplace. Simcox.
那间的壁炉会冒烟,辛考克
Where’d you come from?
你刚从哪冒出来的?
The old schoolroom, our study.
从前的教室,我们的书房♥
That’s why you’ve been put to stay in this dog’s misery.
所以你被安排在这个破烂的房♥间
Come.
进来
It’s as much like college as I could make it.
看来就像在大学一样
Look at the view, though.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!