What the hell were you doing in Chicago?
-参观大都会博物馆
-为什么?
-Visiting the met.
-Why?
-你不能……
-为什么?
-You can’t…
-Why?
因为我们 我们有权……
Because we, we have every right…
你只有我赋予你的权利 不多不少
You have just the rights that I give you. No more, no less.
我们都是成年人了 这样做项目太荒谬了
We are adults trying to run a project here. This is ridiculous.
告诉他!
Tell him!
分隔化管理是我们同意的协议
Compartmentalization is the protocol we agreed to.
受够了这个疯人院 没人能在这种条件下工作
Enough of this madhouse. Nobody can work under these conditions.
你知道吗? 大帅 我不干了!
You know what? Generalissimo, I quit!
谢谢你什么都没做
Thanks for nothing.
没有他会更好
Better off without him.
你不怕他泄露机密吗?
Aren’t you more concerned about his discretion out there?
我们会杀了他
We’ll have him killed.
开玩笑的
I’m just kidding.
不 他恨的是我 不是美国
No, he hates me, not America.
你知道 将军 不是每个人都有像我这样的把柄
You know, General, not everyone has levers to pull like mine.
我不懂你说什么
I don’t think I understand.
你不是不管我是左翼才雇我的 你是因为我是左翼才雇我的
You didn’t hire me despite my left-wing past. You hired me because of it.
这样你就能控制我了
So you could control me.
不 我没那么狡猾 我只是个普通的士兵
No, I’m not that subtle. I’m just a humble soldier.
你既不普通 也不仅仅是个士兵 你在麻省理工学习工程学
You’re neither humble, nor just a soldier. You studied engineering at MIT.
-罪名成立
-现在我们彼此理解了
-Guilty as charged.
-Well, now we understand each other,
也许你能帮我弄到安全许可
perhaps you can get me my security clearance,
这样我就能为你创造奇迹
so I can perform this miracle for you.
格罗夫斯将军 你知道
General Groves, were you aware
当你任命奥本海默博士时 他与左翼组织的关系?
of Dr. Oppenheimer’s left-wing associations when you appointed him?
我知道有人怀疑他
I was aware that there were suspicions about him.
我知道他有非常极端的自♥由♥主义背景
I was aware he had a very extreme liberal background.
在你看来 他会有意识地做出叛国的行为吗?
In your opinion, would he ever consciously commit a disloyal act?
如果他做了 我会很惊讶的
I would be amazed if he did.
所以你完全相信他的正直?
So you had complete confidence in his integrity?
在洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯 是的 那是我真正了解他的地方
At Los Alamos, yes. Which is where I really knew him.
你知不知道你的安全人员在这个项目上
Do you know that your security officers on the project
建议你不要批准奥本海默博士的安全许可?
advised you against the clearance of Dr. Oppenheimer?
在我的坚持下 他们才为他办理了安全许可
They could not, and would not, clear him until I insisted.
可以肯定的说 你看过很多
And it’s safe to say that you had pretty good knowledge
奥本海默博士的安全档案
-是的
of Dr. Oppenheimer’s security file.
-I did.
那今天你只需回答我一个问题
Well, then there’s only really one question I need answered here today.
根据原子能委员会现行的指导方针 你今天会批准奥本海默博士的安全许可吗?
In light of the current AEC guidelines, would you clear Dr. Oppenheimer today?
你带来指导方针了吗?
Do you have the guidelines?
根据原子能委员会现行的指导方针
Under current AEC guidelines,
你今天会批准奥本海默博士的安全许可吗?
would you clear Dr. Oppenheimer today?
物理学和新墨西哥 是吧?
Physics and New Mexico, huh?
天啊 真是千里迢迢
My god. What a trek.
-所以你需要一个联络人
-我要任命罗曼尼兹
-That’s why you need a liaison.
-I’m appointing Lomanitz.
你会没事的 这边请 先生们
You’re gonna be okay. This way, gentlemen.
-劳伦斯博士
-莱斯利
-Dr. Lawrence.
-Leslie.
我想提醒你我们在伯克利谈过的事
I’d like to remind you what we talked about at Berkeley.
分隔化管理 我完全理解
Compartmentalization, I understand completely.
来自伯克利的问候
Greetings from Berkeley.
我来这里是为了向你更新我们的进展情况 并征求你的意见
I am here to update you on our progress and solicit your input.
要做到这一点 我必须分享一些事情
To do so, I am going to have to share a few things that
格罗夫斯将军不许我这么做
General Groves told me not to.
对不起 将军 我说我理解 不是说我同意
Sorry General, I said I understood, not that I agreed.
好了 先生们 谈正事吧!
Okay. Gentlemen, to business!
传闻说在洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯
There were rumors of espionage
有间谍活动
-未经证实
at Los Alamos.
-Unsubstantiated.
我听说有共♥产♥主义者
I’m told that there were communists
渗透这个项目
-我们并没有故意雇佣……
on the project.
-We didn’t knowingly employ…
我只是想知道 他们有没有参与……
I just want to know, were any of them involved
氢弹的讨论?
in discussions of the Super?
我记得你要求你弟弟来洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯
I seem to remember you demanding your brother come to Los Alamos.
-我弟弟那时已经脱离共♥产♥党了
-那洛曼尼茨呢?
-My brother had left the party by then.
-What about Lomanitz?
洛曼尼茨从未受雇于洛斯阿♥拉♥莫斯 他只是个联络员
Lomanitz was never employed at Los Alamos. He was a liaison.
我们的安保措施非常严密 前上校尼科尔斯很清楚这一点
Our security was tight, as former Colonel Nichols well knows.
考虑到所涉及的人员 我们的安保措施非常严密,
Our security was as tight as it could be given the personalities involved,
但只能尽力而为
but attempts were made.
-那是什么意思?
-我们都看过他的档案
-What is that supposed to mean?
-We’ve all read his file here.
我们需要谈谈琼·塔特洛克吗?
Do we need to talk about Jean Tatlock?
还是薛瓦利埃事件?
Or the Chevalier incident?
不好意思
Excuse me.
罗曼尼兹 一号♥线!
Lomanitz, line one!
你好 罗西 什么?
Hello, Rossi. What?
好吧 冷静点
Okay, just calm down.
又出事了
There’s been another screwup.
-罗曼尼兹刚被征召入伍
-我们在打仗 博士
-Lomanitz just got drafted.
-We are at war, Doctor.
别这么混♥蛋♥ 尼克尔斯 我们需要这孩子 搞掂它 好吗?
Don’t be an asshole, Nichols. We need this kid. Fix it, will you?
这不是个错误
It wasn’t a mistake.
你的朋友洛曼尼茨一直在试图组建辐射实验室的工会
Your friend Lomanitz has been trying to unionize the radiation lab.
-他答应放弃这一切
-嗯 他没有
-He promised to quit all that.
-Well, he hasn’t.
伯克利的安全官员担心共♥产♥党渗透
The security officer at Berkeley is concerned about communist infiltration
通过那个工会 叫FA……
-FAECT.
through that union, the FA…
-FAECT.
下周我去的时候 我会……顺便去看看他
While I’m there next week, I’ll… drop in to see him.
你的安全许可批准了
Your Q clearance came through.
重要的是你不能再接触任何有问题的联♥系♥人
It’s important you not maintain or renew any questionable associations.
博士 你是否觉得一个从事秘密战争工作的人
Doctor, did you think social contacts
和共♥产♥主义者之间保持社交关系是危险的?
between a person engaged on secret war work and communists was dangerous?
我今天对危险的意识会更强烈
My awareness of the danger would be greater today.
我的意思是 公平地说 在战争年代
I mean, it’s fair to say that during the war years,
你认为这样的接触是存在潜在危险的
you felt that such contacts were potentially dangerous.
是的 确实很危险
Were conceivably dangerous, yes.
我是说真的!
I mean, really!
著名的共♥产♥主义者
Known communists.
你看……
Look…
我脑子里有很多秘密已经很久了
I’ve had a lot of secrets in my head for a long time.
不管和谁交往 我从不谈论那些秘密
Doesn’t matter who I associate with, I don’t talk about those secrets.
你在证词里说
You said in your statement
1943年你必须去见琼·塔特洛克
that you had to see Jean Tatlock in 1943.
你离开了
You left.
一个字也不说
Not a word.
你觉得那会对我造成什么?
What did you think that would do to me?
我写了
I wrote.
全是空话
Pages of nothing.
你去哪儿了?
Where did you go?
-我不能告诉你
-为什么不能?
-I can’t tell you.
-Why not?
因为你是共♥产♥党员
Because you’re a communist.
你为什么一定要见她?
Why did you have to see her?
在我们分手之前 她表示非常想见我
She had indicated a great desire to see me before we left.
当时我不能 但我觉得她必须见我
At that time I couldn’t, but I felt that she had to see me.
她正在接受精神病治疗 她非常不开心
She was undergoing psychiatric treatment. She was extremely unhappy.
你知道她为什么要见你吗?
Did you find out why she had to see you?
因为她还爱着我
Because she was still in love with me.
你们一起过夜了 是吗?
You spent the night together, didn’t you?
是的
Yes.
你在我的生活中进进出出 从不告诉我为什么
You drop in and out of my life, and you don’t have to tell me why.
-这就是权力