Don’t alienate the only people in the world that understand what you do.
总有一天你会需要它们的
One day you might need them.
F-A-E-C-T!
F-A-E-C-T!
建筑师、工程师、化学家和技术人员联合会
Federation of Architects, Engineers, Chemists and Technicians.
辐射实验室工会
洛曼尼茨 你一个月的薪水是多少?
Lomanitz, what do you get paid a month?
这不是重点 劳伦斯
That’s not the point, Lawrence.
你们和农场工人和码头工人有什么共同点?
What do any of you have in common with farm laborers and dock workers?
很多
Plenty.
所有人都出去 马上!
Everybody out. Now!
你留下
Not you.
你在干什么?
What are you doing?
这是工会
It’s a trade union.
-到处都是共♥产♥党员
-那又怎样? 我还没加入呢
-Filled with communists.
-So? I haven’t joined the party.
因为这破事 他们不让我带你参与这个项目
They won’t let me bring you onto the project because of this shit.
他们甚至不让我告诉你项目是什么
They won’t even let me tell you what the project is.
我知道是什么项目
Oh, I know what the project is.
真的吗?
Oh, really?
我们都听说过爱因斯坦和西拉德写给罗斯福的信
We’ve all heard about Einstein and Szilard’s letter to Roosevelt
警告他德国人可能会制♥造♥原♥子♥弹♥
warning him the Germans could make a bomb,
我知道纳粹拥有原♥子♥弹♥意味着什么
and I know what it means for the Nazis to have a bomb.
我不知道吗?
And I don’t?
他们不是把你的人赶进集中营
It’s not your people they’re herding into camps.
是我的
It’s mine.
你以为我会告诉他们你的政♥治♥立场吗?
You think that I tell them about your politics?
下次你开完会回家
The next time you’re coming home from a meeting,
为什么不看看后视镜
why don’t you take a look in the rearview mirror,
听听电♥话♥线上的声音 别他妈这么天真了?
listen to the sounds on your phone line, and stop being so goddamn naive?
他们为什么要在乎我做什么?
Why would they care what I do?
因为你不只是自以为重要 你实际上很重要
Because you’re not just self-important, you’re actually important.
好吧
Okay.
我明白了
I get it.
如果你能再多一点……
If you could just be a little more…
务实 我会和洛曼尼茨谈谈 和其他人谈谈
Pragmatic. I’ll talk to Lomanitz, I’ll talk to the others.
你不用担心 已经结束了
You don’t have to worry, it’s done.
劳伦斯
Lawrence.
那么欢迎参战
Then welcome to the war.
我填写了我的第一份安全问卷 并被告知
I filled out my first security questionnaire and was informed
我和左翼组织的关系
that my involvement with left-wing groups would
不再成为我在原♥子♥弹♥项目上的工作障碍
not prove a bar to my working on the atomic program.
为什么他和共♥产♥党的关系
Why were his communist associations
不被视为战争期间的安全隐患?
not seen as a security risk during the war?
参议员 我无法回答
Senator, I can’t possibly answer
在我认识他之前就已经获得安全许可了
for security clearance granted years before I ever met the man.
好吧 那之后呢?
Fine. What about after?
战后 奥本海默博士
After the war, Dr. Oppenheimer was
世界上最受尊敬的科学之声
the most respected scientific voice in the world.
这就是为什么我让他管理研究所
That’s why I asked him to run the Institute.
这就是他成为原子能委员会顾问的原因
That’s why he advised the Atomic Energy Commission.
就这么简单
Simple as that.
他们指控我什么?
What are they accusing me of?
我想他们只是想知道1947年到1954年间发生了什么
I think they just want to know what happened between 1947 and 1954
改变你对奥本海默安全许可的看法
to change your mind on Oppenheimer’s security clearance.
我没有
I didn’t.
我是原子能委员会主席 但不是我
I was chair of the AEC, but it wasn’t me
指控罗伯特
谁干的?
that brought the charges against Robert.
-Who did?
国会联合委员会的一位前工作人员
Some former staff member of the Joint Congressional Committee.
他是个狂热的反♥共♥产主义者 名叫博登
He was a rabid anti-communist named Borden.
他写信给联邦调查局 要求他们采取行动
He wrote to the FBI demanding they take action.
联邦调查局? 为什么不直接找原子能委员会?
The FBI? Why not go to the AEC direct?
借刀杀人 方为上策
You’d get caught holding the knife yourself.
博登和奥本海默有什么过节?
What did Borden have against Oppenheimer?
这是麦卡锡时代
This is the McCarthy era.
人们为了一点点染红而被炒鱿鱼 然后
People hounded out of jobs for any hint of red, and…
我阅读了奥本海默的安全档案 他的弟弟
Reading Oppenheimer’s security file, his communist brother,
弟媳 情妇 最好的朋友 妻子 都是共♥产♥党
sister-in-law, fiancée, best friend, wife.
那是在我们讨论薛瓦利埃事件之前
That’s before we even get to the Chevalier incident.
但博登是怎么拿到奥本海默的安全档案的?
But how would Borden have access to Oppenheimer’s security file?
别人给他的
Because somebody gave it to him.
有人想教罗伯特闭嘴
Somebody who wanted Robert silenced.
-谁?
-天知道?
Who?
-Who knows?
罗伯特没有小心翼翼地避免惹恼华盛顿的权力掮客
Robert didn’t take care not to upset the power brokers in Washington.
他成了原♥子♥弹♥方面的绝对权威
His opinions on the atom became definitive,
他对我们这些凡人并不总是有耐心
and he wasn’t always patient with us mere mortals.
我受到了很多粗暴的对待
I came in for plenty of harsh treatment.
原子能委员会进行了投票
There was an AEC vote
关于向挪威出口同位素
on the export of isotopes to Norway,
他们把罗伯特请进来就是为了让我看起来像个傻瓜
and they drafted in Robert to make me look like a fool.
但是奥本海默博士 我们已经收到了施特劳斯将军的来信
But Dr. Oppenheimer, we’ve already heard from Admiral Strauss
这些同位素可能对我们的敌人有用
that these isotopes could be useful to our enemies
在原子武器制♥造♥中
in the production of atomic weapons.
议员先生 你可以用铲子来制♥造♥核武器
Congressman, you could use a shovel in making atomic weapons.
真的 你可以
In fact, you do.
你可以用一瓶啤酒来制♥造♥核武器
You could use a bottle of beer in making atomic weapons.
真的 你可以 我觉得同位素
In fact, you do. I’d say isotopes are
还不如电子元件有用
less useful than electronic components,
但比三明治要强
but more useful than a sandwich.
天才不能保证智慧
Genius is no guarantee of wisdom.
这个看到这么多的人怎么会如此盲目?
How could this man who saw so much be so blind?
凯蒂?
Kitty?
凯蒂?
Kitty?
凯蒂
Kitty.
这个项目
The project.
我加入了
I’m in.
-我加入了!
-让我们庆祝
-I’m in!
-Let’s celebrate.
你不该去照顾他吗?
Shouldn’t you go to him?
我他妈的一整天都在照顾他
I have been going to him all fucking day.
我不知道该怎么说
I don’t know how to say this.
我不好意思开口
I’m a shamed to ask.
什么都行
Anything.
-照顾彼得
-可以
-Take Peter.
-Sure.
不 只是暂时的 哈克
No, for a while, Haak.
一段时间
A while.
-凯蒂知道你在这里吗?
-是的 她当然知道
-Does Kitty know you’re here?
-Yes, of course she knows.
她当然知道
Of course she knows.
我们是可怕的人 自私的可怕的人
We’re awful people. Selfish, awful people.
当我没说
Forget I asked.
自私 可怕的人
Selfish, awful people,
他们不知道自己很自私 很可怕
they don’t know they’re selfish and awful.
坐 坐 坐
Sit, sit, sit.
罗伯特 你能看到我们生活之外的世界
Robert, you see beyond the world we live in.
这是要付出代价的
There is a price to be paid for that.
我们当然会帮助你
Of course we’ll help you.
一切都变了 罗伯特
Everything’s changing, Robert.
有了孩子总是会改变
Having a child was always going to change…
不 世界正在急速转向
No, the world is pivoting in some new direction.
变革
Reforming.
属于你的时刻到来了
This is your moment.
-我们正在组织一个研究小组
-我们什么都做不了
-We’re putting together a group to study…
-We shouldn’t be doing anything.
你可以
You should.
劳伦斯做不了
Lawrence won’t get this done.
托尔曼或者拉比也不行 但你可以
Or Tolman or Rabi. You will.
这些穿军装的是什么人?
Who are the uniforms?
我还以为你知道
I thought you might know.