-不是说我喜欢
-And that’s power.
-Not that I enjoy.
我宁愿在你需要的时候陪在你身边
I’d rather be here for you as you need.
但你现在有别的事情要做
But you have other priorities now.
我有妻子和孩子
I have a wife and child.
我们都不是在说这个
That’s not what either of us is talking about.
琼……是你叫我来的
Jean… you asked me to come.
我很高兴我做到了
And I’m glad I did.
但我不能再见你了
But I can’t see you again.
但如果我需要你呢?
But what if I need you?
你说你会永远接我电♥话♥的
You said you would always answer.
什么也不说?
Not a word?
你觉得这次见面符合安保措施的规定吗?
Did you think that consistent with good security?
事实上 是的
As a matter of fact, it was.
什么也不说
Not a word.
那之后你什么时候见过她?
When did you see her after that?
我再也没见过她
I never saw her again.
我能赶上最后一班回普林斯顿的火车
I can make the last train back to Princeton.
凯蒂 我不会说什么我没告诉你的
Kitty, I didn’t say anything that I hadn’t already told you.
今天你对历史说了 不是吗?
Today you said it to history, didn’t you?
这是一个闭门听证会
This is a closed hearing.
如果他们不公布记录 我相信你会的
If they don’t release the transcript, I’m sure you will.
-我发过誓的
-你也对我发过誓
-I was under oath.
-Well, you were under an oath to me
当你去见琼的时候
when you went to see Jean.
你知道 你……
You know, you…
你坐在那里 日复一日,
You sit there, day after day,
让他们把我们的生活撕个粉碎
letting them pick our lives to pieces.
你为什么不反抗?
Why won’t you fight?
罗伯特 我不同意让她做证
Robert, I’m not putting her up there.
奥本海默博士 很荣幸见到你 请坐
Dr. Oppenheimer! This is an honor. Please, take a seat.
不用了 我只是想确认一下我是否应该……
No need. I just wanted to check whether I should…
考虑到你的担心 我在这的时候和洛曼尼茨谈谈
talk to Lomanitz while I’m here, given your concerns.
我想说这完全取决于你 教授 但我会小心谨慎
I’d say that’s really up to you, Professor, but I’d be cautious.
明白
Understood.
噢 还有 关于工会
Oh, and, um, as regards to the union,
我想提醒你一下一个叫埃尔坦登的人
I wanted to give you a heads up on a man named Eltenton.
提醒一下?
A heads up?
是的 只是他可能值得关注 仅此而已。
Yes, just that he might bear watching, is all.
我想了解更多细节
I’d love to get more details.
我现在有个约会 明天一早就出发
I have an appointment now, and I leave early tomorrow.
好的 早点回来 我随时恭候
Well, come back as early as you like.
既然你现在没有时间
Since you haven’t time now.
-你第二天早上就回去了
-是的 我不得不这么做 真的
-You went back the next morning.
-I did. I had to, really.
这次还有另一个人
This time there was another man.
-他说他叫帕什
– 帕什 你见到帕什上校?
-He said his name was Pash.
-Pash. You met Colonel Pash?
帕什上校 你能念一下你在1943年6月29日的备忘录吗?
Colonel Pash, could you please read from your memo dated June 29, 1943?
“对目标进行监视的结果
“Results of surveillance conducted on subject
“进一步表明可能与共♥产♥党有联♥系♥”
“indicate further possible Communist Party connections.”
“目标与一个叫琼·塔特洛克的人见面并待了相当长一段时间
“Subject met with and spent considerable time with one Jean Tatlock,
“一个共♥产♥主义者 记录附后”
“a communist, the record of whom is attached.”
-“目标”是指奥本海默博士吗?
-是的
-The subject being Dr. Oppenheimer?
-Yes.
-你没见过他?
-那时没有 但很快就见到了
-Whom you had not met?
-Not then, but soon after.
他是这个项目的安全主管 我应该认识他吗?
He’s the head of security for the project. Shouldn’t I know him?
不 他应该认识你
No, he should know you.
我绝不会让你和帕什待在同一间房♥子里
I would never put you in a room with Pash.
为什么?
Why not?
当帕什第一次听说洛曼尼茨时
When Pash first heard about Lomanitz,
他对联邦调查局说他要绑♥架♥他
he told the FBI he was going to kidnap him,
带他上船出海
take him out on a boat,
用俄♥国♥人的方式审问他
and interrogate him in the Russian manner.
格罗夫斯将军赋予了我一定的职责
General Groves has placed in me a certain responsibility,
就像通过遥控器和一个我看不见的孩子打交道
and it’s like having a child who I can’t see, by remote control.
所以真正♥见♥到本人……
So to actually meet you is…
-我不会占用你太多时间
-哦 不
-I won’t take up too much of your time.
-Oh, no.
一点也不 随你奉陪
Not at all. Whatever time you choose.
约翰逊先生告诉我你们昨天的谈话
Mr. Johnson told me of the conversation you had yesterday,
我很感兴趣 这让我担心了一整天
which I’m very interested in. It’s had me worried all day.
是的 好吧 我不想在未经授权的情况下和洛曼尼茨谈话
Yes, well, I didn’t want to talk to Lomanitz without authorization.
这不是我特别感兴趣的
That’s not the particular interest that I have.
头绪变得有点多……
It’s something a little bit more…
在我看来 更严重了
In my opinion, more serious.
然后当联邦调查局指出
And then when the FBI pointed out
这样的信息是不会被法庭采纳的
that such information wouldn’t be admissible in court,
帕什拍胸脯保证 他绝不会
Pash made it clear he had no intention
留下任何证人给人起诉
of leaving any witness left to prosecute.
后来 联邦调查局总算说服了他 但他就是你的影子
Now, the FBI talked him down, but that’s the man you’re dancing with.
我想你已经听说了还有其他政党
I gather you’ve heard there are other parties
也对辐射实验室的工作感兴趣吧?
interested in the work of the radiation lab?
一个和苏联领事有关系的人说
A man attached to the Soviet consul indicated,
这个项目里的人 通过他作中间人
through intermediate people, to people on this project,
能够传递一些信息
that he was in a position to transmit information.
为什么这个项目里的人要这么做?
Well, why would anyone on the project want to do that?
坦率地说 我认为总司令通知俄♥罗♥斯♥人是有道理的
Frankly, I can see that there might be an argument for the Commander-in-Chief
毕竟他们是我们的盟友 但是……
informing the Russians, they’re our allies, after all, but…
我不喜欢偷偷摸摸的想法
I don’t like the idea of it going out the back door.
留意一下也许没什么坏处
It might not hurt to be on the lookout for it.
你对帕什也这么说
And you said that to Pash.
我试图把整件事置于“俄♥国♥不是德国”的背景下
I was trying to put it in the context of “Russia’s not Germany”.
鲍里斯・帕什是俄♥国♥东正教主教的儿子
Boris Pash is the son of a Russian Orthodox bishop.
他出生在这里 但1918年他返回俄♥国♥与布尔什维克作战
Born here, but in 1918 he went back to Russia to fight the Bolsheviks.
这是一个与共♥产♥党不共戴天的仇人
This is a man who has killed communists with his own hands.
谁该知道谁不该知道 我说了不算
I’m not the judge of who should or should not have information.
我的职责就是阻止它非法传出去
It’s my business to stop it from going through illegally.
你能说得再具体点吗?
Could you be a little more specific?
有个人的名字被提到过好几次 埃尔坦登
There’s a man whose name was mentioned to me, a couple of times, Eltenton.
我相信他是在壳牌公♥司♥工作的化学家
I believe he’s a chemist who works at Shell.
他和他的一个朋友聊天
He talked to a friend of his,
他朋友是这个项目里某个人的熟人
who’s an acquaintance of someone on the project.
你觉得帕什会对此满意吗?
And you thought Pash would be satisfied with that?
我试图给他们埃尔坦登 同时又避免捅出大篓子
I was attempting to give them Eltenton without opening a can of worms.
我给他们编了个荒唐的故事
I told them a cock-and-bull story.
-你也对格罗夫斯将军撒谎了吗?
-没有
-Did you lie to General Groves, too?
-No.
我向他承认我对帕什撒谎了
I admitted to him that I’d lied to Pash.
你还记得这次关于薛瓦利埃事件的谈话吗?
Do you recall this conversation about the Chevalier incident?
我看过很多版本 呃……
I’ve seen so many versions of it, uh…
以前没搞混 但现在肯定搞混了
Wasn’t confused before, but I’m certainly getting there now.
-你的结论是什么?
-他受影响太深
-And what was your conclusion?
-That he was under the influence
典型的美国男生态度
of the typical American schoolboy attitude
告发朋友是一件卑鄙龌龊的事情
that there’s something wicked about telling on a friend.
现在 我们能知道联♥系♥人是谁吗?
Well now, might we know through whom the contact was made?
那会牵连到本不应涉及此事的人
That would involve people who are not to be involved in this.
那个人是项目的成员吗?
Is that someone a member of the project?
是的 一名教员 但不是这个项目的成员
A member of the faculty, yes, but not in the project, no.
啊..
Ah…
所以埃尔坦登通过伯克利大学的一名教员进行接触
So Eltenton made his approach through a member of the faculty here at Berkeley.
据我所知 据我所知 是的
As far as I know, as far as I know, yes.
但是……可能有……不止一个人牵涉其中
But there… may have been… more than one person involved.
先生们 如果我…… 如果我拒绝透露
Gentlemen, if I… if I seem uncooperative,
我希望你能理解这是因为我的原则
I think you can understand it’s because of my insistence
不能让无辜的人陷入麻烦
on not getting innocent people into trouble.
你想保护你的朋友 谁来保护你呢?
You’re trying to protect your friend. Who’s protecting you?
嗯 你啊
Well, you could.
-如果你告诉我名字……