If the first,
倘若是出于第一个动机
I should get in your way.
我夹在你们中间就会妨碍你们
If the second,
倘若是出于第二个动机
I can admire you much better from here.
那么我坐在这可以更好地欣赏你们
How shall we punish him for such a speech?
亏他说得出 我们该怎么罚他呀?
We could laugh at him.
我们可以取笑他一番
No. Mr Darcy is not to be teased.
不行 达西先生是不能让人笑话的
Are you too proud, Mr Darcy?
你是否太骄傲了些 达西先生?
And would you consider pride a fault or a virtue?
你认为骄傲是缺点还是优点?
I couldn’t say. We’re trying to find a fault in you.
说不好 我们在试着找出你的缺点
I find it hard to forgive
别人的愚蠢和过错我本应该赶快忘掉
the follies and vices of others,
却偏偏忘不掉
or their offences against me.
人家得罪了我 我也忘不掉
My good opinion, once lost, is lost forever.
我对人一旦失去了好感 就永远没有好感了
Oh, dear. I cannot tease you about that.
噢 天哪 我不能取笑你了
What a shame, for I dearly love to laugh.
真可惜 我很爱取笑人
A family trait, I think.
我想是家族传统吧
A Mrs Bennet, a Miss Bennet, a Miss Bennet
班纳特太太 班纳特三小姐 班纳特四小姐
and a Miss Bennet, sir.
还有班纳特五小姐到 先生
Are we to receive every Bennet in the country?
乡下所有叫班纳特的都来我们家了?
What an excellent room you have, sir.
你的屋子多可爱啊 先生
Such expensive furnishings.
家具都这么贵重
I do hope you intend to stay here, Mr Bingley.
我非常希望你能留在这 彬格莱先生
Absolutely, I find the country very diverting. Don’t you agree, Darcy?
当然 我觉得乡村非常的有趣 不是吗 达西?
I find it perfectly adequate.
我觉得是够有趣的
Even if society is a little less varied than in town.
虽说乡下碰不到像城里那么多形形色色的人
Less varied? Not at all.
碰不到? 没这回事
We dine with four and 20 families
就我所知 平常跟我们来往吃饭的
of all shapes and sizes.
就有足足二十四家 各色各样
Sir William Lucas, for instance, is a very agreeable man.
例如威廉·卢卡斯爵士就非常和蔼可亲
And a good deal less self important than some people half his rank.
比起某些爵位还不如他的人 他一点也不妄自尊大
Mr Bingley, is it true you will hold a ball here?
彬格莱先生 你真的要在这举办舞会吗?
A ball?
舞会?
It would be an excellent way to meet new friends. You could invite the militia.
那将是认识新朋友最好的方式 你可以邀请军人们
Oh, do hold a ball! Kitty!
噢 办个舞会吧! 吉蒂!
When your sister recovers, you shall name the day.
等你姐姐复元了 由你随便定个日期就行
I think a ball is an irrational way to gain new acquaintance.
我想通过舞会结识新交有点不够理智
It would be better if conversation, not dancing, were the order of the day.
如果时兴聊天而不是跳舞那该多好
Indeed, much more rational, but rather less like a ball.
聊天确实理性得多 不过光聊天的话那还叫舞会么
Thank you, Mary.
谢谢 曼丽
What a fine imposing place to be sure, is it not, my dears?
这地方多么壮观多么大气啊 不是吗 亲爱的?
There’s no house to equal it in the county.
全郡再也找不到这么好的房子了
Mr Darcy. Miss Bennet.
达西先生 班纳特小姐
There she is. I don’t know how to thank you.
她在那 我对你感激不尽
You’re welcome any time you feel the least bit poorly.
如果觉得不舒服 尽管来找我好了
Thank you for your stimulating company. Most instructive.
谢谢你有生气的陪伴 让我受益匪浅
Not at all. The pleasure is all mine.
不客气 荣幸之至
Mr Darcy. Miss Elizabeth.
达西先生 伊丽莎白小姐
And then there was one with great long lashes, like a cow.
这时有个很长的鞭子 像母牛一样
Ask Mrs Hill to order us a sirloin, Betsy.
叫希尔太太给我们做牛腩 伊丽莎白
Just the one, mind. We’re not made of money.
注意 只要一块 我们没钱
I hope, my dear, you’ve ordered a good dinner today.
我的好太太 希望你今天的午饭准备得丰盛一些
I’ve reason to expect an addition to our family party.
恐怕今天有客人来
His name’s Mr Collins, the dreaded cousin.
他就是柯林斯先生 那位可怕的堂哥
Who is to inherit? Everything.
那个继承人吗? 是啊 继承所有家产
Even my piano stool belongs to Mr Collins.
连我的钢琴凳都是柯林斯先生的
When?
什么时候?
He may turn us out of the house as soon as he pleases.
只要他愿意 他随时能把我们撵出这所屋子
The estate passes directly to him
我们家的产业不能留给我们这些可怜的女人
and not to us poor females.
却要让别人来继承
Mr Collins, at your service.
柯林斯先生 愿为你效劳
What a superbly featured room and what excellent potatoes.
多漂亮的房间啊 多漂亮的土豆啊
It’s many years since I’ve had such an exemplary vegetable.
我好多年都没有吃到这样的蔬菜了
To which fair cousin should I compliment the excellence of the cooking?
是哪位堂妹的厨艺如此高超 令我称赞不已?
We are perfectly able to keep a cook.
我们还算过得去 还请得起厨子
Excellent.
好极了
I’m very pleased the estate can afford such a living.
我非常高兴看到这份产业能供得起如此优越的生活
I’m honoured to have
我三生有幸
as my patroness Lady Catherine de Bourgh.
能有位像凯瑟琳·德·包尔夫人那样的女资助人
You’ve heard of her, I presume?
我想你们已经听说她了吧?
My small rectory abuts her estate,
我的小教区毗邻她的庄园
Rosings Park, and she often condescends
罗新斯花园 她还常乘她的四轮小马车
to drive by my humble dwelling in her little phaeton and ponies.
拜访我的寒舍
Does she have any family?
她有亲人吗?
One daughter, the heiress of Rosings
她有个女儿 将要继承罗新斯
and very extensive property.
还能继承非常可观的一笔遗产呢
I’ve often observed to Lady Catherine
我常对凯瑟琳夫人说
that her daughter seemed born to be a duchess,
她的女儿天生就是公爵夫人的命
for she has all the superior graces of elevated rank.
因为她的气质优雅尊贵
These kind of compliments are always acceptable to the ladies,
这样巧妙的恭维 太太小姐们没有不乐意听的
and which I conceive myself particularly bound to pay.
我总觉得我应该在这方面特别留意
How happy for you, Mr Collins,
真为你高兴 柯林斯先生
to possess the talent for flattering with such delicacy.
你能有这种才能 能够非常巧妙的捧人家的场
Do these attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment
你这种讨人喜欢的奉承话 是灵机一动呢
or are they the result of previous study?
还是老早想好了的?
They arise from what is passing at the time.
大半是应景之作
And though I do sometimes amuse myself
不过有时候我也预先想好一些很好的小恭维话
with arranging such little compliments,
平常有机会就拿来应用
I always wish to give them as unstudied an air as possible.
而且临时说的时候总是要装得自然而然
Oh, believe me, no one would suspect your manners to be rehearsed.
相信我 没人想得到你的礼貌竟然是排练过的
After dinner, I thought I might read to you for an hour or two.
我想晚饭后可以给大家读一到两个小时的书
I have with me Fordyce’s Sermons
我随身带着《讲道集》
which speak very eloquently on all matters moral.
这是本关于行为道德的善辩集
Are you familiar with Fordyce’s Sermons, Miss Bennet?
你读过《讲道集》吗 班纳特小姐?
Mrs Bennet, I have been bestowed by the good grace of Lady Catherine de Bourgh
班纳特太太 承蒙凯瑟琳·德·包尔夫人的厚爱
a parsonage of no mean size.
提拔我担任教区牧师的职位
I have become aware of the fact.
我已经知道了
It is my avowed hope that soon I may find a mistress for it.
我真心希望能尽快给我的牧师住宅找到一位女主人
And I have to inform you that the eldest Miss Bennet
我得告诉你 班纳特大小姐
has captured my special attention.
已经俘获了我的心
Oh, Mr Collins.
噢 柯林斯先生
Unfortunately, it is incumbent upon me
很不幸 我有责任提醒你一下
to hint that the eldest Miss Bennet is very soon to be engaged.
班纳特大小姐很快就要订婚了
Engaged.
订婚
But Miss Lizzie,
但是伊丽莎白小姐
next to her in age and beauty,
无论是年纪还是美貌 比大小姐都只差一步
would make anyone an excellent partner.
她定会是个不错的伴侣
Do not you agree? Mr Collins?
你赞同吗? 柯林斯先生?
Indeed. Indeed.
当然 当然
A very agreeable alternative.
一个非常好的备选
Mr Collins is a man who makes you despair at the entire sex.
柯林斯先生会让人对全天下的男人丧失信心
Yours, I believe.
对你确实是
Oh, Mr Wickham, how perfect you are.
韦翰先生 你是多么十全十美阿
He picked up my handkerchief. Did you drop yours on purpose?
他捡起我的手帕 你是故意丢手帕的?
Mr Wickham is a lieutenant.
韦翰先生是位陆军中尉
An enchanted lieutenant.
一位丢了魂的陆军中尉
What are you up to, Liddy?
你要干什么 丽迪雅?
We happened to be looking for ribbon.
我们碰巧来挑丝带
White, for the ball.
白色的 为舞会准备的
Shall we all look for some ribbon together?
我们能一起挑挑丝带吗?
Good afternoon, Mr James.
下午好 詹姆斯先生
Miss Lydia, Miss Bennet.
丽迪雅小姐 班纳特小姐
I shan’t even browse.
我不该来的
I can’t be trusted. I have poor taste in ribbons.
不能指望我 我对丝带毫无鉴赏力
Only a truly confident man would admit that.
只有真正自信的人才会承认这一点
No, it’s true.
不 我说真的
And buckles. When it comes to buckles, I’m lost.
还有皮带扣 对于皮带扣 我也一窍不通
You must be the shame of the regiment. The laughing stock.
军团一定以你为耻 不 是把我当成笑柄
What do your superiors do with you?
你的上级怎么对你呢?
Ignore me. I’m of next to no importance, so it’s easily done.
无视我 我几乎毫无价值 所以无视我就很容易

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!