Lydia! Kitty!
丽迪雅! 吉蒂!
My dear Mr Bennet, have you heard?
我的好老爷班纳特 你听说了吗?
Netherfield Park is let at last.
尼日斐花园终于租出去了
Do you not want to know who has taken it?
你难道不想知道是谁租去了吗?
As you wish to tell me, my dear,
既然你这么想告诉我 我的好太太
I doubt I have any choice in the matter.
我只能洗耳恭听了
Kitty, what have I told you about listening at the door?
吉蒂 我不是跟你说过吗 不要偷听
There’s a Mr Bingley arrived from the North.
是位从北部来的彬格莱先生
Five thousand a year! Really?
一年有五千磅的收入! 真的?
He’s single! Who’s single?
他是单身汉! 谁是单身汉?
A Mr Bingley, apparently. Kitty!
显然是彬格莱先生 吉蒂!
How can that possibly affect them?
这关女儿们什么事?
Mr Bennet, how can you be so tiresome?
班纳特老爷 你怎么这么讨厌?
You know he must marry one of them.
告诉你吧 他一定会娶我们女儿中的一个当太太
That is his design in settling here?
他住到这儿来就是为了这个?
You must go and visit him at once.
你得马上去拜访拜访他
Good heavens. People.
天哪 人啊
For we may not visit if you do not, as you well know, Mr Bennet.
要是你不去 叫我们怎么去? 你是知道的 班纳特
Are you listening? You never listen.
你在听我说话吗? 你从来都不听
You must, Papa! At once!
你一定要去 爸爸! 马上!
There’s no need. I already have.
没必要 我已经去过了
You have? When?
你去过了? 什么时候?
Oh, Mr Bennet, how can you tease me so?
噢 班纳特老爷 你怎么能够这样戏弄我?
Have you no compassion for my poor nerves?
你就不能体谅体谅我那脆弱的神经吗?
You mistake me, my dear. I have the highest respect for them.
你错怪我了 我的好太太 我非常尊重你的神经
They’ve been my constant companions these twenty years.
它们是我20多年的老朋友了
Papa!
爸爸!
Is he amiable? Who?
他亲切吗? 谁?
Is he handsome? He’s sure to be.
他帅吗? 那是当然
With 5,000 a year, it would not matter if he had warts.
一年有五千镑的人 就算有什么毛病也没关系啦
Who’s got warts?
谁有毛病?
I will consent to his marrying whichever girl he chooses.
我倒想看看他会娶什么样的女孩
So will he come to the ball tomorrow? I believe so.
那么他明天也会去舞会吗? 我想是的
Mr Bennet! I have to have your muslin!
班纳特老爷! 我要穿你的棉布衣了!
I’ll lend you my green slippers!
我会把我的绿拖鞋借给你!
They were mine.
那本来就是我的
I’ll do your mending for a week.
我会帮你做一星期的针线活
I’ll retrim your new bonnet.
我会帮你重新装饰你的新帽子
Two weeks I’ll do it for.
那我就帮你做两星期
It’s not the same! It’s not the same.
不一样! 不一样
I can’t breathe.
我快喘不过气了
I think one of my toes just came off.
我连脚趾头都差点给踩掉了
If every man does not end the evening in love with you,
全场男士要是有人没在今晚爱上你
then I’m no judge of beauty.
那我对美丽就没什么好评价的了
Or men.
或者对男士们没什么好评价的了
No, they are far too easy to judge.
不 要评价他们太容易了
They’re not all bad.
他们并不都那么糟糕
Humourless poppycocks, in my limited experience.
以我有限的经历 他们说的都是一本正经的废话
One day, someone will catch your eye,
总有一天 有人入了你的法眼
and then you’ll have to watch your tongue.
到时候你就不会这么口无遮拦了
How good of you to come.
你能来真是太好了
Which of the painted peacocks is our Mr Bingley?
哪一位鲜艳的孔雀是我们的彬格莱先生?
He’s on the right. On the left is his sister.
右边的是他 左边的是他的妹妹
The person with the quizzical brow?
长着奇怪眉毛的那个?
That is his good friend, Mr Darcy.
那个是他的好朋友达西先生
He looks miserable, poor soul.
他看上去挺痛苦的 可怜的人
He may be, but poor he is not.
他可能痛苦 但并不可怜
Tell me.
说来听听
a year, and he owns half of Derbyshire.
一年有一万英镑的收入他拥有半个的德贝郡 10000
The miserable half.
这痛苦的半个德贝郡
Mr Bennet, you must introduce him to the girls immediately.
班纳特老爷 你一定要马上把他介绍给你的女儿们
Smile at Mr Bingley. Smile.
朝彬格莱先生微笑 微笑
Mary.
曼丽
Mr Bingley, my eldest daughter you know.
彬格莱先生 我的长女 你已经认识
Mrs Bennet, Miss Jane Bennet,
班纳特太太 吉英·班纳特小姐
Elizabeth and Miss Mary Bennet.
伊丽莎白还有曼丽·班纳特小姐
It is a pleasure.
很荣幸见到你们
I have two others, but they’re already dancing.
我还有两个女儿 不过她们在跳舞
I’m delighted to make your acquaintance.
我很高兴能与你们相识
And may I introduce Mr Darcy
请允许我向你们介绍达西先生
of Pemberley in Derbyshire.
他来自德贝郡的彭伯里庄园
How do you like it here in Hertfordshire?
你喜欢赫特福德郡吗?
Very much.
很喜欢
The library at Netherfield, I’ve heard, is one of the finest.
尼日斐的图书馆 我听说是最好的图书馆之一
It fills me with guilt. I’m not a good reader.
这真让我深感惭愧 我不是一个好的读者
I prefer being out of doors.
我更喜欢户外运动
Oh, I mean, I can read, of course.
噢 我是说 我能读书 当然
And I’m not suggesting you can’t read out of doors.
我可不建议你在户外读书哦
I wish I read more,
我非常希望我能多读点书
but there seem to be so many other things to do.
但是总有这样那样的事情要做
That’s exactly what I meant.
对 我就是这个意思
Mama, Mama! You will never, ever believe what we’re about to tell you.
妈妈 妈妈! 你肯定不会相信我们要说的事
Tell me! She’s going to take the veil.
说啊! 她一定会掩饰
The regiment are coming! Officers?
军团要来了! 军官们?
They’re going to be stationed the whole winter, right here.
他们整个冬天将驻扎在这里 就在这里哦!
Officers? As far as the eye can see.
军官们? 长期驻扎哦
Oh, look. Jane’s dancing with Mr Bingley.
噢 瞧 吉英在和彬格莱先生在跳舞
Mr Bennet.
班纳特老爷
Do you dance, Mr Darcy?
你想跳舞吗 达西先生?
Not if I can help it.
不想 不过如果你想跳的话我可以奉陪
I didn’t know you were coming to see me. What’s the matter?
我不知道你会来这看我 出什么事了?
We are a long way from Grosvenor Square, are we not,
我们从罗夫纳酒店千里迢迢赶来的就为这?
Mr Darcy?
达西先生?
I’ve never seen so many pretty girls.
我生平没见过今天晚上这么多可爱的姑娘们
You were dancing with the only handsome girl.
舞场上唯一的美女在跟你跳舞
She is the most beautiful creature I have ever beheld.
她是我这辈子见过的最美丽的尤物
But her sister Elizabeth is agreeable.
不过她妹妹伊丽莎白也很讨人喜欢啊
Perfectly tolerable.
她长得还行
Not handsome enough to tempt me.
不过也没漂亮到让我动心的地步
Return to your partner and enjoy her smiles.
你还是回到你的舞伴身边去欣赏她的笑脸吧
You’re wasting your time with me.
犯不着把时间浪费在我的身上
Count your blessings, Lizzie.
往好的一面想 伊丽莎白
If he liked you, you’d have to talk to him.
他要是喜欢你 你就得和他聊天啦
Precisely.
说得是
I wouldn’t dance with him for all of Derbyshire,
就算他拥有整个德贝郡 我也不愿意和他跳舞
Iet alone the miserable half.
何况他只拥有半个而已
Wait!
等等!
I enjoyed that so much, Miss Lucas.
我很喜欢这里 卢卡斯小姐
How well you dance, Mr Bingley.
你跳得真好 彬格莱先生
I’ve never enjoyed a dance so much.
我从没跳得这么尽兴
My daughter Jane is a splendid dancer, is she not?
我女儿吉英的舞跳得很不错 对吧?
She is indeed.
她确实跳得很好
Your friend Miss Lucas is a most amusing young woman.
你的朋友卢卡斯小姐 是个非常风趣的年轻女士
Oh, yes, I adore her.
噢 是啊 我可喜欢她了
It is a pity she’s not more handsome. Mama!
可惜的是她不够漂亮 妈妈!
Oh, but Lizzie would never admit that she’s plain.
噢 但是伊丽莎白绝不会承认她相貌平平
Of course, it’s my Jane who’s considered the beauty of the county.
当然啦 我的吉英才是这个郡最漂亮的可人儿
Mama, please!
妈妈 求求你!
When she was 15, a gentleman was so much in love with her,
她15岁那年 就有位绅士深深地爱上了她
I was sure he would make her an offer.
我敢肯定他会向她求婚
However, he did write her some very pretty verses.
无论如何 他是写过不少可爱的诗给她
And that put paid to it.
不过也就到此为止了
I wonder who discovered the power of poetry in driving away love.
我真惊讶 是谁发现了诗还有熄灭爱情的力量
I thought poetry was the food of love.
我还以为诗能滋养爱情呢
Of a fine, stout love.
对坚定的爱情确实如此
But if it is only a vague inclination,
但是如果只是暧昧的喜好
one poor sonnet will kill it.
一首蹩脚的十四行诗就能轻易毁了它
So, what do you recommend to encourage affection?
那么 你推荐用什么来激发爱情呢?
Dancing. Even if one’s partner is barely tolerable.
跳舞 即使舞伴长得也就是还行而已
Mr Bingley is just what a young man ought to be.
彬格莱先生真是位典型的好青年

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!