为了保住我的腿,我住了院.
I was hospitalized, fighting to save my leg.
看着四代抗生素和生理盐水溶液
Watching the IV of antibiotics and saline solution
注入胳膊.
drip into my arm.
现在我不能碰咸水,
Now that I couldn’t be in the ocean,
他们却把咸水注入我的体内.
they were dripping the ocean into me.
我会没事的,好吗??
I’ll be fine, okay?
我保证.
I promise.
我躺在那看着红线爬上我的腿(食肉菌感染的皮肤会发红).
I lay there, watching the red line creep up my leg.
红线已经到了大腿的一半,如果到了臀部,
It was halfway through my thigh and if it made it to my hip,
那就不是失去腿的问题了.
I would lose more than my leg.
我更应该是在多伦多工作着死去而不是在这里.
I’m probably way more likely to die working in Toronto than here.
伙计… 布莱恩,别担心沮丧了,好吗?
Dude… Brian, don’t get stressed and don’t get upset, okay?
没事的,只是人生又一坎坷,好吗?
It’s fine, it’s just… it’s just another bump, alright?
然后我接到保罗电♥话♥.
Then I heard from Paul.
他说他们什么也做不了
He said there was nothing they could do,
海上牧羊人被赶出加拉帕戈斯了.
Sea Shepherd was being kicked out of the Galapagos…
…因为在加拉帕戈斯,延绳钓鱼已经合法化了
…because the Galapagos had legalized long-lining.
渔民想赚更多钱,目光都转向了鱼翅.
The fishermen wanted more money and had turned to shark fins.
政♥府♥屈服了
The government gave in,
延绳钓鱼合法化了.
and long-lining was legalized.
现在,我们在科科斯和加拉帕戈斯都失败了
Now we’ve lost Cocos and the Galapagos
因为鱼翅产业.
to the fin industry.
我认为世界需要了解
I think the world needs to know
鲨鱼也许是
that sharks are probably
最受威胁的物种
the most threatened group of species
在目前的海洋中.
that we have in the ocean right now.
很多鲨鱼种群数量减少得很快;
And that a lot of shark species are declining very rapidly;
这不是自然现象.
that this is not a natural phenomenon.
这是因为捕鱼和其他人类的影响
It’s because of fishing and other human impacts
要改变这个情况我们可以做的有很多.
and that there’s a lot we can do about this to change it.
– 保护鲨鱼很难,
– Sharks are going to be difficult to conserve,
因为一方面,人们怕他们
because on one hand, you have people afraid of them
更不想去接近它们.
and not really wanting to go anywhere near them.
人们可以随意捕杀它们.
People can sort of fish them with impunity.
因为没有人守着鲨鱼.
There’s nobody looking after the sharks.
没有保护运动,
There’s no campaign,
像绿色和平组织那样,
like a Greenpeace campaign,
去拯救鲨鱼.
to save the sharks.
据估计,世界范围内鲨鱼的数量
已经减少了90%
保罗走了,去开展
Paul left to start a campaign
打击南极洲非法捕鲸的活动.
against illegal whaling in Antarctica.
就剩下我一个人了.
And I was alone.
世界上最后两个鲨鱼庇护所
Two of the world’s last sanctuaries for sharks
也快要消失了.
were going to be wiped out.
我在医院的最后六天里,
During my last six days in the hospital,
有超过150万条鲨鱼被杀害.
more than 1.5 million sharks had been killed.
每个人都让我回家,
Everyone told me to go home,
忘掉鲨鱼,
forget about sharks,
保住自己的腿.
and try and save my leg.
我不知道我做的是否有意义,
I didn’t know if what I was doing made sense anymore,
但我想的
but all I could think about
只是回到水里和鲨鱼一起.
was getting back underwater with sharks.
鲨鱼在海洋中提供了一个架构
Sharks’ presence in the ocean has provided a framework
给更低级的生物,
for the populations below them,
包括浮游生物,
including phytoplankton,
这种小小的水生植物消耗的二氧化碳
tiny aquatic plants that consume more carbon dioxide
比任何地球生物都多
than anything else on Earth.
二氧化碳是温室气体,
Carbon dioxide is the global-warming gas,
而浮游生物把二氧化碳转化成氧气,
and plankton converts it to oxygen,
提供我们呼吸所需要的70%氧气.
providing 70%of the oxygen we breathe on land.
没有鲨鱼的捕食,
Without sharks to prey on them,
吃浮游生物的动物就会失去控制,
plankton feeders below sharks could grow out of control,
消耗掉人类赖以生存的浮游生物.
consuming the plankton that we depend on for survival.
海洋是最重要的生态系统,
The ocean is the most important ecosystem,
调节着气候,提供着食物.
regulating climate and feeding much of the planet.
陆地上的生命要依靠海洋中的生命.
Life on land depends on life in the ocean.
我终于意识到我不只是拯救鲨鱼,
I finally realized that it’s not just about saving sharks,
而是拯救我们自己.
it’s about saving ourselves.
在加拉帕戈斯我没法拯救鲨鱼,
There was nothing I could do to save sharks in the Galapagos,
但在哥斯达黎加鱼翅仍是非法的.
but shark finning was still illegal in Costa Rica.
如果我能回到哥斯达黎加,
If I could get back into Costa Rica,
也许我到科科斯
maybe I could finally get to Cocos
做点什么去阻止割鱼翅.
and do something to stop the finning.
我躺在那,希望红线停止蔓延,
I lay there, hoping the red line would stop,
一个星期后,红线果然停下了.
and after a week it did.
感染消退了,我终于又自♥由♥了.
The infection subsided and I was finally free.
我认为问题在于,
I think the problem is,
我们不知道我们是什么.
that we don’t really understand what we are.
在本质上,我们是,你知道,
In essence, we’re, uh, you know,
只是自负的裸体猿人,
just a conceited naked ape,
但是在我们的脑海中视自己为传奇
but in our minds we’re some sort of divine legend
好像自己是神,
and we see ourselves as some sort of god,
步行在地球之上,主宰生杀大权
that we can walk around the Earth deciding who will live and who will die,
决定什么应该毁灭,什么应该拯救.
and what will be destroyed and what will be saved.
但事实却是,我们只是一群失控的灵长类动物.
But the fact is, we’re just a bunch of primates out of control.
现在,我们正笼罩在第三次世界大战的阴影中r,
We’re now in the midst of a Third World War,
但是这一次敌人是自己
but this time the enemy is ourselves
我们的目标是防止自己破坏地球.
and the objective is to save the planet from ourselves.
让全体人类都去做一件事
There is no hope for the masses of humanity
是不可能的.
to do anything.
他们从来没有过,也永远不会这样.
They never have, they never will.
所有的社会变革都是来自
All social change comes from the passionate intervention
个人或者小团体的激烈干预
of individuals or small groups of individuals.
奴隶制也不是由政♥府♥或机构终结的.
Slavery wasn’t ended by any government or any institution.
妇女获得投票权
Women got the right to vote
也不是政♥府♥的功劳.
not because of any government.
民权运动,也是一样
The civil-rights movement, the same thing –
印度有甘地,南非有曼德拉.
India with Mahatma Gandhi, South Africa with Nelson Mandela.
又是个人行为.
Again, it’s always individuals.
你就需要那些个人
You need those individuals
活力激♥情♥地参与.
with the passion and the energy to get involved.
事实上,我不知道
In fact, I don’t know
有任何政♥府♥或机构
of any governments or institutions
作出任何事解决这些问题.
that are doing anything to solve any of these problems.
遍布世界各地,我只看到个人
All over the world, though, I am seeing individuals
和非政♥府♥组织热情地参与
and non-government organizations that are passionately involved
到保护生态系统和物种当中,
in protecting ecosystems and species,
这正是我乐观的原因,
and that’s where I see some optimism,
这才能有点结果.
that’s where results are happening.
好的…
Okay…
走吧.
here we go.
出院后,我立刻
As soon as I was let out of the hospital,
启程返回哥斯达黎加.
I started making my way back to Costa Rica.
地球上我最不该去的地方.
Costa Rica was the last place on Earth I should go.
我可能会被立马逮捕
I would be arrested immediately
如果他们知道我在那.
if they found out I was there.
因此,我得偷偷地去.
So I had to sneak in.
我在加拉帕戈斯群岛乘船
I took a boat from the Galapagos Islands
到厄瓜多尔.
to mainland Ecuador.
我在哥斯达黎加的朋友
My friends in Costa Rica
告诉我不要坐飞机来这里
told me not to fly back into the country,
说那样我会被逮捕.
that I’d be caught if I did.
我必须避过所有主要港口、
I had to avoid any major ports,
警方和海岸警卫队.
the police and the Coast Guard.
即使我上了岸,
Even if I made it to the coast,
我同样要躲避鱼翅黑帮.
I’d also have to avoid the shark-fin Mafia.
为避免被抓,
To avoid capture,
我在陆路上旅行了好几天,
I travelled overland for days,
乘公车和游览车
using public transportation and tour buses
再去这个国家.
to get back into the country.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!