成天吹个不停 柯比叫他安静
And he played this thing all day. And Kirby would tell him to shut up.
斯坦却继续吹
And Stan would keep playing.
(霹雳火 海底人)
我们有《霹雳火》 《海底人》和《爱国者》
We had The Human Torch and The Sub-Mariner and The Patriot
《天使》和《毁灭者》
and The Angel and The Destroyer.
(神秘漫画)
但我们的主要人物是美国队长
But the main character we had was Captain America.
(美国队长)
从一开始 我们就深受
From the very beginning, we were very much affected
身边的世界所影响
by what was going on in the world around us.
乔赛门和杰克·柯比在写美国队长
Joe Simon and Jack Kirby were doing stories of Captain America
对抗希♥特♥勒♥和纳粹的故事
battling Hitler and the Nazis
(通道!别阻挡我们!)
即使当时美国尚未参战
even before America had gotten into the war.
美国队长来自对爱国英雄的需求
Captain America came from the need for a patriotic character
(声源:杰克·柯比)
因为当时爱国情操爆发
because the times at that time were in a patriotic stir.
战争逼近 战云密布
The war was coming on and the war clouds were gathering
所以美国队长必须出现
and so Captain America had to come into existence.
我在1939年加入
I came in in 1939,
公♥司♥非常小
and it was such a small place
杰克·柯比和乔赶不出所有的故事
that Jack Kirby and Joe couldn’t keep up with all the stories.
他们说:「你能帮我们写个故事吗?」
And they said, “Hey, could you help us write a story or two?”
16岁不知天高地厚 我说:「好啊 可以」
When you’re 16, what do you know. I said, “Sure, I could do it.”
开始写漫画时
When I started doing comics,
我想我就做一阵子 累积经验
I figured I would just do them for a little while and get some experience
有一天成为大作家
and I thought one day I’ll be a big time writer
或许写一本伟大美国小说
and maybe I’ll write the Great American Novel.
我内心一直喜欢漫画
I always, in the back of my mind, liked comics,
但从未把它当成真正的写作
but I never considered that real writing.
我想我才不要在这些漫画上用本名
I said, “I’m not going to use my name for these silly comics.”
我想我需要一个笔名
And I thought, “I need a pen name.”
(斯坦·李)
我就把名字斯坦利一分为二
So, I just took my first name, Stanley, and I cut it in two
签下「斯坦·李」
and I signed “Stan Lee.”
我写的第一个故事叫
And the first story that I wrote was called
「美国队长与叛徒的复仇」
“Captain America and the Traitor’s Revenge.”
(幕后故事)
结果大家开始认识我是斯坦·李
And what happened was, everybody started to know me as Stan Lee
没人知道我是斯坦利李柏了
and nobody knew me anymore as Stanley Lieber.
它就像我的第二自我
It was like my alter ego.
(斯坦·李着)
(奥森韦尔斯 《大国民》)
冠军洋基队发威
And the champion Yankees roar!
(1941年)
过了一阵子 乔和杰克离开时代漫画
After a while, Joe and Jack left Timely Comics
出版社老板在他的庞大帝国里寻找
and the publisher looked around at his vast empire,
看到一个瘦小子一手拿扫把
and he saw this one skinny kid with a broom in one hand
另一手在打字
and a typewriter in the other
他说:「其他员工呢?」
and he said, “Hey, where’s the rest of my staff?”
我说:「只有我」
And I said, “I’m it.”
他说:「总得有人来编这些书」
He said, “Somebody’s gotta edit these books.”
他说:「斯坦 你能做这份工作 等我找到人吗?」
He said, “Stan, can you hold down the job till I get somebody else?”
我说:「好 我接受」
And I said, “Okay, I’ll take it.”
他到外面去找另一个编辑
So, he went off into the outside world to seek another editor,
这时我是斯坦·李 临时编辑
and I was now Stan Lee, boy editor pro tem.
就这样 我成了编辑 结果他忘了找人
And that was it, I became the editor, and I think he forgot to hire somebody
因为我继续当编辑
because I remained the editor.
所以我17岁就在经营出版社了
So at 17, I was really running the place.
既然我自己担任作者和编辑
And since I was my own writer and my own editor,
要改的东西不多
I didn’t have much to change.
我很快就能出版这些故事
So I was able to get these stories moving very fast.
(全胜漫画)
(为美国胜利而战)
自从1941年
Since the unprovoked
12月7日星期日
and dastardly attack
日本无故发动
by Japan on Sunday,
邪恶的攻击
December 7th, 1941,
美国
a state of war
与日本帝国之间
has existed
就进入了
between the United States
交战状态
and the Japanese Empire.
我很蠢 自愿入伍
Like an idiot, I volunteered.
我觉得那是我的义务 战况激烈 我想跟艾洛佛林一样
I felt it was my duty. It was a big war. And I wanted to be like Errol Flynn.
我想当英雄
I wanted to be a hero.
但他们还没派我到海外
But before they could send me overseas,
就发现我在漫画公♥司♥上班
they found out I had worked for this comic book company.
接着我就被调到
The next thing I know, I got transferred
纽约皇后区的阿斯托利亚
to Astoria, Queens, in New York,
那里有个拍片小组
where they had a film unit
为部队制♥作♥训练影片和教学书籍
where they did training films and instructional books for the troops.
(荣誉退役)
好笑的是 我到战后才知道这件事
Funny thing. I didn’t know this until after the war ended.
我看着退伍令 上面写的军中职务是剧作家
I looked at my army discharge and it said Army occupation, it said playwright.
他们训练财务官的速度不够快
They were having a big problem training finance officers quickly enough.
(军中专长:剧作家)
海外军人没有准时领薪
The men overseas weren’t getting paid on time
因为发薪官不够
’cause there weren’t enough payroll officers to pay them.
所以他们问我能不能重写财务教科书
So I was asked, could I rewrite the finance textbooks
好缩短训练期间?
to make the training period shorter?
我把财务教科书改写成连环漫画
I rewrote the finance textbooks using comic strips.
我们因此把财务官的训练期
We were able to shorten the training period for finance officers
从六个月缩短到六周
from six months to six weeks.
当时我才明白
It was then I realized
漫画具有庞大的影响力
that comic books can have a tremendous impact.
比起其他途径
You can convey a story or information
传达故事或信息 能更快、更清楚也更有趣
faster, more clearly, and more enjoyably, than any other way,
只比电影差一点
short of motion pictures.
(1947年)
退伍后 我回到漫画公♥司♥
After the Army, I went back to the comic book company.
开始做我过去一直在做的事
Started doing what I had been doing all the time.
我有个表哥任职于帽业
I had a cousin and he was in the hat business.
有一天他说有一个帽子模特儿
And one day, he said, there was a model, a hat model,
名叫贝蒂
at this place, named Betty.
他觉得我们俩彼此会有好感
He thought I’d really like her and she might like me.
所以我去那家模特儿公♥司♥
So, I went up to this hat model place,
有人开门
and somebody opened the door.
(琼恩·李)
我记得很清楚
I remember it very clearly.
他到门口 他…
He came to the door and he was…
他把雨衣
He had his raincoat
挂在肩上
thrown over his shoulder.
琼恩打开门
Joan opened the door.
她不是我要见的那个女生
Now, she was not the girl that I was supposed to meet.
但她是那里的模特儿头头
But she was the head model there. And she was…
她开了门 说…
She opened the door and said…
你好
Hello!
他说
And he said,
「你好 我想我会爱上你」
“Hello, I think I’m going to fall in love with you.”
我不敢相信
I couldn’t believe it.
她操一口迷人的英国口音 我是哈英族
She had this beautiful English accent. And I’m a real Anglophile.
英国口音令我着迷
An English accent knocks me out.
而且她好漂亮
And she was gorgeous.
我心想
I thought,
我不能让这个人溜走
“This one I can’t let get away.”
那真的是一见钟情
It was really love at first sight.
当时我们公♥司♥叫亚特拉斯漫画
At the time, we were known as Atlas Comics
出版跟别人一样的东西
and we were just publishing what everybody else did.
如果西部漫画畅销 就出一千本
If western books were good, we published a thousand westerns.
如果浪漫漫画流行
If romance books were in,
就出一百万本 诸如此类
we published a million romance books, and so forth.
我们跟随流行趋势
We just followed the trends.
我们出战争故事、浪漫故事、幽默故事
We did war stories, romance stories, humor stories,
搞笑的动物动态漫画
little funny animal animated comic stories.
我们拚命出杂♥志♥
We were grinding out magazines like confetti,
那样维持了好多年
and we did that for years.
我们一度一个月出将近一百本杂♥志♥
At one point, we were churning out almost a hundred magazines a month.
小时候我只想找个稳定工作
As a kid, all I wanted was a steady job,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!