All through the years, certainly, I’ve had a kind of affection
有一种感情
for any mythological type of character,
斯坦给我机会画一个
and here Stan gave me the opportunity to draw one
我当然要把握 好好发挥
and I wasn’t gonna draw back from really letting myself go.
我着手进行 那个世界成了我的舞台
So I did. And the world became a stage for me.
我修改了北欧神话的角色
I gave the Norse characters twists
那是任何人都没想过的
that they never had in anybody’s imagination,
结果非常有趣
and somehow it turned out to be a lot of fun
我乐在其中
and I really enjoyed doing it.
(我能轻易举起来)
(我必须回去面对父亲)
(无论代价 让我展现荣耀)
我们发现我们创造了自己的神话
It occurred to us that what we do is we create our own mythology,
创造了自己的宇宙
and we create our own universes.
我们有一项创举很成功
One thing I think that we’ve innovated that has been pretty successful
就是让角色在许多书中穿插出现
is overlapping characters and books.
就像定目剧 你有演员
It’s like a repertory theatre, where you’ve got your actors
知道他们的能力 视情况调度他们
and you know what they can do, and you can use them as needed.
一旦我们有了各个角色 不管是英雄或反派
Once we have our cast of characters, whether heroes or villains,
我们就比较容易建立故事
it makes it easier for us to base stories,
但我们这么做是因为
but we do it because it seems to me that
你会喜欢熟悉的事物
you enjoy things you’re familiar with,
读者最后会了解这些角色
and the readers eventually get to know these characters,
对他们产生兴趣 何必除去他们?
and they’re interested in these characters and why just get rid of them?
如果有个反派对抗神奇四侠
If we have a villain who fought the Fantastic Four,
为什么他最后不该碰到 我们另一个英雄?
why shouldn’t he eventually meet another one of our heroes?
为什么我们的英雄不该像平常那样相遇
Or why shouldn’t our heroes meet, as they often do,
在彼此的书中客串呢?
and guest star in each other’s book?
因为根据漫威宣扬的信条
Because, according to the gospel as preached by Marvel,
他们都生活在同一个世界里
they all live in the same world.
(苏与李德的婚礼)
(世界最庞大扮装角色阵容)
(连续战役疯狂大乱斗)
(这次超盛大!)
美国增至30亿美元与1万4千人…
…the US has added up to $3 billion and 14,000 men…
(1963年)
美国涉入得更多更危险
America’s involvement grows deeper and more dangerous.
我们漫威深受…
We were very much affected at Marvel
我们所处的世界
by what was going on in the world around us,
还有越南以及当时的局势所影响
and in Vietnam and what was going on at this time.
那场战争不但站不住脚 也很荒谬
I think it’s a not only indefensible war, I think it’s a ridiculous war.
我同意你的说法 它是场可憎的战争
I agree with the word you used, I think it’s an obscene war.
(立刻让军人回家)
人人反对那场战争 当时的孩子痛恨它
Everybody was against the war. The kids in those days hated it.
(新钢铁侠 冠军中的冠军诞生了)
我们有个角色叫钢铁侠
We have a character called Iron Man.
他身穿巨大金属装甲 威力强大
He’s a guy in a big metal suit and he’s very powerful
脚底有小小的喷射器
and he has little jets on the bottom of the soles,
让他能飞行
which enable him to fly,
他也提供武器给美国陆军
and he was supplying weapons to the United States Army
去打越战等等
for the Vietnamese war and so forth.
你要如何让人去关心这样的人?
So, how do you make somebody really care about a guy like this?
我们让他讨人喜欢
We made him lovable.
他有颗脆弱的心 曾在战争中受伤
He has a weak heart and he’s been injured in battle,
而且是个大好人
and he really is a good guy.
我们的英雄有各种缺点和谬论
Our heroes have all sorts of failings and fallacies.
对抗反派时可能输也可能赢
They might lose just as often as win if they’re fighting with a villain.
我们的反派其实很可爱 他们会让你同情
And our villains are really adorable. They go right to your hearts.
我们发现反派通常 至少跟英雄一样受欢迎
We learned the villains are usually at least as popular as the heroes are.
有相当大的吸引力
They have a great appeal.
我们设法赋予他们可以理解的特质
We try to give them understandable qualities
以及他们之所以造♥反♥的原因
and reasons why they are the way they are.
我们甚至有反派改头换面 变成英雄
We’ve even had villains who reformed and became heroes.
一段时间后 我们分不清谁是英雄谁是反派
After a while, we don’t know who the heroes and who the villains are.
界线很模糊
There’s such a fine line.
那就是真实世界
And that’s the real world.
很多事并不是非黑即白
Things aren’t just black and white.
(蜘蛛侠…是善是恶?)
漫画的现况?它们吸引了年纪大的读者
What’s happening in comics today? They’ve grabbed an older readership.
对 -漫威的大学生读者
Yeah! – At Marvel, we have as many college kids
跟七岁读者一样多
reading our books as we have seven-year-olds.
我很少拿起书来 这本书很有趣
I rarely hold up books, but this is an interesting book…
真的 -让他跟你说说
It is. – Well, let him tell about it.
他立场中立
He’s a collector who is impartial.
(华伦史托瑞 漫画收藏家)
我认为任何人
I think that anybody, and I say this,
看完之后都能有收获
anybody could get into that book and get something out of it
从中学到一点东西 它算是小说
and learn something from it. It is a novel
也可说是经典电影
or a Cecil B. DeMille movie or anything else,
只是用静态图片呈现
only it’s done with still pictures.
你为何说必须学到东西? 不能获得娱乐就好吗?
Why do you say he has to learn? Can’t he be entertained by what he reads?
非得当教科书看吗?
Does he have to read it like a school book?
不能寓教于乐吗?
Can’t you be educated and entertained at the same time?
我们发现我们的读者想得到娱乐
We found our readers want to be entertained.
(朱利叶斯史瓦兹 DC漫画编辑)
他们想放松 不想学东西
They want to lose themselves. They don’t wanna be educated.
他们不要严肃的内容
They don’t want anything relevant.
我不会推荐超人或蝙蝠侠 给12岁以上的人
I would not recommend Superman or Batman to anyone over 12.
那些适合孩子看
They’re nice for kids.
大人已经认为漫画没什么价值
Adults have come to believe there’s nothing of value in comics for them,
其实里面是有价值的
and there is something of value.
你不能光凭形式来谴责媒体
You cannot condemn a medium on the basis of its format.
我越了解我们的书有多大影响力
The more I realized how influential our books were,
就越想在故事里加入道德议题
the more I tried to get some moral lessons in the stories.
我不想说得好像 我是世界上道德最崇高的人
I don’t want to sound like I’m the most moral guy in the world,
但我总觉得应该探讨某些议题
but I always felt there were some issues that ought to be addressed.
有一件事很可怕
One of the things that is terrible is the fact that
(白人候车室)
(有色人种候车室)
好多人不喜欢…
so many people dislike
(有色人种洗手间)
而且痛恨其他人
and hate other people
(我们不接受乔治亚州种族混合)
就因为他们不一样
just because they’re different.
我写了一个故事「仇恨贩子」
I did one story called “The Hate Monger,”
其实是在嘲讽三K党
and it was really a takeoff on the Ku Klux Klan.
其中的反派鼓吹
It had to do with a villain who espoused hatred
一群人仇恨另一群人
of one group of people for another.
(爱德蒙佩特斯桥)
我希望让我们读者知道
I sort of hoped it would give our readers
(我们将获胜 终结恐怖)
所有人都该获得同等待遇
the idea that all people should be treated the same.
我们试图在所有漫威的书中传达这一点
We tried to get that point across in all of the Marvel books.
(除非人类相信相爱 不分种族、信仰或肤色)
(仇恨贩子仍将张狂!切勿忘记)
我想写另一个超级英雄团体
I wanted to do another superhero group,
希望探讨反偏见的主题
and I tried an anti-bigotry theme.
我想 该如何以不同的方式 给他们超能力?
And I thought, how can I give them some power in a different way?
然后我想到 我们知道现实中有变种
And then it occurred to me. We know that mutations exist in life.
有五腿青蛙之类的动物
There are five-legged frogs and things like that.
我就给他们超能力 再说他们是变种
So I’ll just give them whatever powers I want and say they mutated that way.
我称呼他们X战警
I called them the X-Men.
我们的X战警英雄跟一般人类不同
And our heroes of the X-Men are all different from average humans,
因为他们不同 大众痛恨他们
and because they’re that different, the general public hates them,
追捕、骚扰、害怕他们
hounds them, harasses them, fears them.
我们在所有的书中 都想传达一点道德意义
In all of our books, we try to find some little moral
不只是追逐打斗
besides running around and fighting.
我们有个角色叫银色冲浪手
We have one character called the Silver Surfer.
他来自另一个星球 来到地球
He’s a character from another planet who comes to Earth.
最早画他的是杰克
Jack is the guy who first drew him.
银色冲浪手爱讲一些
The Silver Surfer was always philosophizing
关于人类的大道理 像是…
and saying things about humans, such as,
「他们不明白他们住在 货真价实的伊甸园吗?
“Don’t they realize they live in a planet that’s a veritable garden of Eden?
他们为何互斗、贪婪?
“Why do they fight and why are they greedy?
为什么有偏见?
“And why do they have bigotry?
他们为何不相亲相爱
“Why don’t they just love each other
享受他们居住的这片乐土呢?」
“and enjoy this paradise that they’ve inherited?”
我相信世界会变得更好
I believe that the world could be a much better world
只要我们彼此之间
if we treated each other
多一点体贴与尊重
with a little more consideration and respect.
如果你真想改善现状
If you really want to change things and make ’em better,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!