无需多久 即可到达远方
It doesn’t take long to reach the depths.
无需多久 即可置身安宁
It doesn’t take long to reach the silence.
从这去转身回望
And from there, you can look back at the land.
就能领略到那海岸线
You can study the coast.
游泳其实无关力气大小 并不是那样的
It’s an error to believe that swimming is a matter of strength. It isn’t.
而在于节奏
It’s a matter of rhythm.
让水花四溅
It’s not clever to splash around,
费尽力气却一动不动 这并不高明
to spend a huge amount of effort and not move.
我看到有人这么做 我不以为然
I see people do that. I’m not impressed.
我游得越远 就越是高兴 特别是在晚上
The further I swim, the happier I am. At night, best of all.
我会有什么感受呢?当他们说出 “我们很担心你”
So how do I feel when people say, ‘We were worried!
“你去了那么久 我们都叫海岸警卫队啦”
‘You were gone so long. We called the coastguard.’
我会有什么感受呢?
How do I feel?
我只会告诉他们“你们慌什么呢?我不会有事的”
I tell them, ‘Why did you panic? Nothing’s gonna happen to me.’
我是简·雅各布斯
I’m Jane Jacobs.
是的
Yeah.
奇怪的是 很长一段时间里 我对建筑并不感兴趣
Odd thing is, for a long time, I wasn’t interested in architecture.
我为什么会呢?我来自宾夕法尼亚州的斯克兰顿 那都没什么建筑
Why would I be? I came from Scranton, Pennsylvania, where there wasn’t any.
但当我遇上个叫雅各布斯的人 我就抗拒不了
When I met a man called Jacobs, I couldn’t resist.
那之前 我的名字都是简·布茨纳
I’d been Jane Butzner up till then.
是的 但我曾是名记者
Yeah, but I was a journalist,
有点追求那头韵
and I had a weakness for alliteration.
简·雅各布斯听起来就好多啦
Jane Jacobs just sounded right.
让我开始思考建筑的是
What made me think about architecture
我意识到自己终将离世
was that moment when I realised that I was gonna die.
我记得当时在想 “我们离世后会留下什么?”
I remember thinking, ‘What will be left of us after we’re gone?’
我记得读到过只有两样东西会留存下来–
And I remember reading that only two things remain –
城市和歌♥曲
cities and songs.
我对音乐一窍不通 所以只剩下城市
I was 100% unmusical, so that left cities.
从某一天开始 研究城市就成了我的生活
And one day, the study of cities became my life.
先生…
Sir…
很抱歉告诉您 有人在门上(在门口等着)
I’m sorry to tell you this, but there’s somebody at the door.
–在门上? –是的 先生
– At the door? – Yes, sir.
你说的“在门上”是什么意思?是说在我们家门口吗?
What do you mean, ‘at the door’? The door of our house?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
–这怎么可能? –抱歉 先生 他是从车道那过来的
– How is that possible? – Sorry, sir, but he walked up the drive.
不请自来?那这位先生叫什么?
Uninvited? And the gentleman’s name?
这位先生叫做摩西
His name is Mr Moses.
来自《旧约》的拜访
A visit from the Old Testament!
真令人振奋 带他进来
How bracing. Show him in.
罗伯特·摩西
Robert Moses.
我的朋友们都说你难得一见 但你还是来了
My friends say you’re an impossible man to meet, and yet here you are.
那我就不用自我介绍了
Then I don’t need to introduce myself.
–弗格斯告知了你的来访 –谢谢你 弗格斯
– Fergus has announced you. – Thank you, Fergus.
–你名声可大了呀 –我不认为我有什么名声
– Your reputation precedes you. – I thought I had no reputation.
我是为了服务公众 不是为了出名
I’m in public service. I’m not out to make a name for myself.
那你就已经失败了
Well, then you’ve failed already.
–要来点喝的吗?–我并不渴
– Do you need refreshment? – Not urgently.
–那我们就不必劳烦弗格斯了 谢谢 –请便
– Then we can release Fergus. Thank you. – Sir.
–他们告诉我你是耶鲁人 –是的 先生 我是
– They tell me you’re a Yale man. – Yes, sir, I am.
09级的 我被提前录取了
Class of ’09. I was admitted early.
–为什么会这样? –我的考试成绩非常优异
– Why was that? – My examination results were outstanding.
遗憾的是 耶鲁大学的证书不再能证明什么
Unfortunately, a Yale education is no longer a guarantee of anything.
我相信你自己也是耶鲁人
I believe you’re a Yale man yourself.
你替我表达了我的观点
You make my point for me.
这不是我们唯一的共同点
That is not the only thing we have in common.
–具体是? –共同热爱着
– Namely? – A shared love
长岛的这份宁静和美丽
of the exceptional quiet and beauty of Long Island.
你得证明这一点才能让我信服
You will need to prove that if I am to be convinced.
我在南岸那五英里长的海滩上游过泳
I swim down on the South Shore on a beach five miles long.
这我知道 我见过你
I know. You’ve been seen.
那是我一生中最棒的一次游泳
It’s the best swimming of my life.
( The Stolen Child by Yeats)
“走吧 人间的孩子! 走向那河流同荒野”
‘Come away, O human child! To the waters and the wild.’
每次我来到这片海滩 都会想起叶芝
That stretch of beach brings Yeats to mind every time I visit.
你游泳时 会受到其他游泳者的干扰吗?
And when you swim, are you troubled by other swimmers?
–从不会 –那就没问题了
– Never. – Well, then, there you are.
那五英里长的海滩只属于我自己
I have a five–mile sand spit all to myself.
–你打高尔夫吗? –不的 先生
– And do you play golf? – I do not, sir.
我对此并不惊讶 林点球场只有 100 名会员
No, I’m not surprised. Timber Point has just 100 members.
当我在周六上午开球时
When I tee off on a Saturday morning,
在红鹿和野鸡的簇拥下 也只能看到一两个其他球员
perhaps I see one or two other players amid the red deer and the pheasant.
–那一定很享受 –我认为…
– It must be enjoyable. – My point…
长岛是因其与世隔绝而显得格外宁静和美丽
Long Island depends for its exceptional quiet and beauty on its isolation.
如果要去共享出这种美 美就会消失
Seek to share that beauty and the beauty is gone.
我同意你的说法 先生 但是
I would agree with you, sir, but…
–但是什么? –你必须接受现实
– But what? – You must face the facts.
我没想到一个耶鲁人会说出这种陈词滥调
I don’t expect such a common cliché from a Yale man.
然而 我们是在哪里呢?
Well, nevertheless. Where are we?
这距离曾经的那个小贸易站并不远
Not so many miles from what was once a small trading post.
150年了 纽约市已经成为了世界之都
150 years on, the city of New York is the capital of the world.
不到100年的时间 它的人口增长了七百万
Its population has grown by seven million in little over 100 years.
–所以? –你的朋友亨利·福特
– So? – Your friend Henry Ford
规定每年都得给员工例行假期啦
has instituted the practice of giving his employees an annual holiday.
我警告过他不要这样做
I warned him against it!
每周工作时间从七十小时减少到四十五小时
The working week has been reduced from 70 hours to a mere 45.
这也是亨利做的
Also Henry’s doing.
范德比尔特先生 人们发现了一种新的职业
Mr Vanderbilt, the people have discovered a new occupation.
叫做“休闲”
It’s called leisure.
总有一天 它将和工作一样受欢迎的
And one day, it’ll be as popular as work.
但愿不会
I hope not.
人们将在闷热的夏天走出城市
The people will spill out of the city in the suffocating summer heat,
就像是水满则溢
just as water spills from an overfilled jug.
他们会发现纳索县这个小天堂
They will discover this little paradise which is Nassau County.
比起让他们像乞丐一样涌入这里
Is it better they come here like indigents,
肆意践踏沙丘 赤身裸♥露♥于海滩
trampling down the dunes and throwing off their clothes all over the strand,
乱扔垃圾 污染环境?
littering and polluting?
还是我们最好建造一些设施
Or is it better we build facilities,
去深思熟虑 精心组织 清晰明快的 才鼓舞人心?
well thought–out, well–organised, clean, inspiring?
他们为什么一定要来这里?
Why do they have to come at all?
–那你为什么来这里?–这不是个一致问题
– Why did you come here? – It’s hardly the same question.
不是吗?为何不是?
Isn’t it? Why not?
因为范德比尔特家族在这里购置了房♥产
Because the Vanderbilts bought property here.
–呃~~ –这是我们的 它属于我们
– Oh… – It’s ours. It belongs to us.
–我们家族已经拥有它很多年了 –据说是100年
– My family has owned it for many years. – I am told 100.
如果你费心阅读了宪法…
And if you trouble yourself to read the Constitution
那长篇大论我已烂熟于心
I know long passages by heart.
..你会发现财产持有者的权利是神圣的
..you will find that the right to own property is sacred.
土地所有者拥有其他公民所不享有的权利
Landowners have rights which other citizens do not enjoy.
我对此没有异议 我们谈论的是使用权 而不是所有权
I have no problem with that. Access is what we’re talking about, not ownership.
使用权 范德比尔特先生
Access, Mr Vanderbilt.
你知道我们的州长艾尔·史密斯说过什么吗?
You know what our governor, Al Smith, has said?
“在少数人和多数人之间 我选择了多数”
‘Between the few and the many, I cast my lot with the many.’
–你说起话来像个革命家 –恰恰相反
– You talk like a revolutionary. – To the contrary. The very opposite.
我的目的是防止革命 而不是煽动革命
My aim is to forestall revolution, not to incite it.
–如何? –不管怎样
– How? – The people will get to the beach,
人们都会去海滩的
one way or another.
让我们齐心协力 以防他们使用暴♥力♥
Let’s work together to prevent them from doing so by violence.
暴♥力♥?
Violence?
这是一个新时代 人们正在觉醒 在向四周环顾
Well, this is a new age. People are waking up, looking around.
他们想游泳 打网球 铺设棒球场
They wanna swim and play tennis, and lay out baseball diamonds.
甚至是打高尔夫 他们想要运动
Yeah, even play golf. They want exercise.
如果这就是他们想要的 那就随他们去吧 那有足够的空间的
Well, if that’s all they want, let them have it. There’s plenty of space.
他们要做的就是向着太阳进发
All they have to do is make for the setting sun.
美国的箴言是“向西走!”
The American injunction is ‘Go West!’
向东走不是美国人的作风
Going East is… un–American.
就只在一个季度
It’s only for a season.
摩西 你像弗拉基米尔·列♥宁♥一样爬进了我的客厅
Moses, you crawl into my living room like Vladimir Lenin.
衣服破破烂烂
Your clothes tatterdemalion.
手里紧攥着帽子 嘴里念叨着那爱尔兰谚语
Clutching your hat in your hand, spouting Irish doggerel,
而且看来 你还要带走琼斯海滩的一大部分