Captain Wainwright.
德克萨斯的骑警?
Texas Rangers?

Mm-hmm.
他让我在他们的人到这儿之前
He wants me to, uh, hold off on picking this fella up
先不要行动
until him and his boys get up here.
妈的 他想上报纸
Shit. Wants to get his picture in the paper.
是啊
Yeah.
我们卖♥♥命 他们立功
We do all the work, they get all the glory.
是啊
Yep.
我想这个世界就是这样的
I guess that’s just the way the world is.
我说的对吗?塞缪尔
Isn’t that right, Samuel?
抱歉打断一下 我有件事情宣布
I have an announcement to make. Excuse me.
最近 我…呃…我们…
Recently, l… uh, we…

Mm-hmm.
寄了些信去一些重点大学
…sent some letters to some major universities.
告诉他们关于我们 关于我们团队
Told them all about us, our team,
我们的事
what we’ve been doing,
昨天 我们收到了封回信
and, uh, yesterday we got a response.
来自俄克拉荷马城市大学
From Oklahoma City University.
他们不是…?
Aren’t they…?
盎格鲁-撒克逊人(白种人)?是的 是的
Anglo-Saxon? Yes. Yes.
我们将成为美国第一个黑人♥大♥学…
We’ll be the first Negro college in America…
哦 是美国少数黑人♥大♥学之一的…
well, one of the first Negro colleges in America…
与白人♥大♥学进行辩论的
to ever debate a white college.
没错
All right!
俄克拉荷马大学哦
University of Oklahoma!
不是俄克拉荷马大学 是俄克拉荷马城市大学
Not University of Oklahoma. Oklahoma City University.
辩论赛会选择在校外举♥行♥
The debate will take place at an off-campus site.
等等 校外?为什么?
Wait. An off-campus site? Why?
罗先生 因为有时候
Because sometimes, Mr. Lowe,
事情得一步一步来
you have to take things one step at a time.
你的意思是说俄克拉荷马的白鬼
So what you’re saying is the crackers in Oklahoma
不愿让我们进他们校园
ain’t gonna let us on their campus.
不 我的意思是退一步海阔天空
No, what I’m saying is you have to take things one step at a time.
这是个好机会
This is a great opportunity.
非常感谢
Thank you very much.
算是主人慈悲的施舍 啊?
Master is going to give us a crumb off his plate, huh?
什么?什么…?
What? Wha…
我想罗害怕了
I think Lowe here is afraid.
我害怕什么?詹姆斯
What am I afraid of, James?
我猜你是怕和白人辩论吧
I think you’re afraid to debate white people.
– 盎格鲁-撒克逊人 – 盎格鲁-撒克逊人
– Anglo-Saxons. – Anglo-Saxons.
非常感谢
Thank you very much.
托森先生 让我上吧
Mr. Tolson, let me debate.
我是说 我能在任何地方 和他们进行辩论
I mean, I’ll debate Anglo-Saxons anywhere:
在没有光线的小巷里
In a dark alley, with no light,
只有微弱的烛光 还有带着枪的人追逐着你
with a candle lit and people chasing you down with guns.
我能在任何地方和他们辩论
Hell, I’ll debate Anglo-Saxons anywhere.
我不怕
I ain’t afraid.
我怕
I am.
托森先生 今天我过来的时候
Mr. Tolson, when I came here today,
看见有警♥察♥在你屋外监视
I saw the sheriff outside watching your house.
怎么回事?
What’s going on?
也许你该去问警♥察♥
Maybe you should ask the sheriff.
关于您所做的事 我听到了很多谣言
I’ve been hearing a lot of rumors about what you’re doing.
我父亲上周给系主任打电♥话♥
My dad just called the Dean last week
说”一个共♥产♥党人
and asked, “What is a communist doing
在一个卫理公会大学里教什么?”
teaching at a good Methodist college?”
我的政♥治♥倾向是我的私事 伯吉斯先生
My politics are my business, Mr. Burgess,
我保证它不会危及到我们的团队
and I promise you that they will not endanger the team.
先生 但已经危及到了
But, sir, it is being endangered.
我到威利学院是接受教育 不是接受调查
I came to Wiley College to be educated, not investigated.
我明白
I understand that.
我不想被卷入任何事件
I don’t want to be dragged into anything.
– 你没有… – 如果我父母发现…
– You’re not… – If my parents find…
我很抱歉
I’m sorry.
拜托 托森先生
Mr. Tolson, please.
只要告诉我你不是 否则…
Just tell me you’re not a communist. Otherwise…
否则怎样?
Otherwise what?
否则怎样?
Otherwise what?
我父亲说我得退出
My father says I have to quit.
没人想这样
Nobody wants that.
那么就告诉我
Then tell me.
正如我说的 政♥治♥倾向是我的私事
As I said, my politics are my business.
那我想我不得不放弃了
I guess I have to resign.
托森夫人 非常感谢您丰盛的晚餐
Mrs. Tolson, thank you for a wonderful dinner.
不客气
You’re welcome, Ham.
祝你们成功
Good luck in Oklahoma, y’all.
我知道你们会赢的
I know you’ll win.
好的
All right. Well,
还有谁想退出 我也能体谅
if anybody else wants to quit, I’ll understand.
我方观点:
Resolved:
黑人应该…
Negroes should be…
应该被允许…
should be admitted…
我听不到你说什么
I can’t hear you!
大声点
Speak up!
我方观点…
Resolved…
黑人应该被允许进入州立大学
Negroes should be admitted to state universities.
我和我的同伴将证明
My partner and I will prove
阻止黑人进入州立大学
that blocking a Negro’s admission to a state university
并不仅仅是个错误 而是个荒诞的事实
is not only wrong, it is absurd.
黑人不仅是美国这块织布上的一个颜色
The Negro people are not just a color in the American fabric.
他们是穿梭其中连接一切的丝线
They are the thread that holds it all together.
让我们看看法律和历史的记录
Consider the legal and historical record.
1865年5月13日
May 13, 1865:
黑人中士克罗克
Sergeant Crocker, a Negro,
是在内战中最后一位牺牲的士兵
is the last soldier to die in the Civil War.
1918年 第一批在法国
1918: The first U.S. Soldiers
因勇敢而被授予勋章的美国士兵
decorated for bravery in France
就是黑人亨利·约翰逊和尼德海姆·罗伯特
are Negroes Henry Johnson and Needham Roberts.
1920年 《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》宣布
1920: The New York Times announces
黑人应当被视为正当的族群 (原文:Negro的N将使用大写)
that the “N” in Negro would hereafter be capitalized.
在南部还没做好准备的时候 就把此制度强加给他们
To force upon the South what they are not ready for
只会徒增种族仇恨
would result in nothing but more racial hatred.
什么?
What?
杜博斯博士…
Dr. W.E.B. DuBois…
他可能是美国最为著名的黑人学者
he’s perhaps the most eminent Negro scholar in America.
他说…
He comments…
强迫大多数人去做他们
“It’s a silly waste of money, time, and temper
不打算做的事情
“to try and compel a powerful majority
实在是件浪费金钱 时间和耐性的蠢事
to do what they are determined not to do.”
对方辩友很巧妙的回避了一个事实
My opponent so conveniently chose to ignore the fact
杜博斯是第一个
that W.E.B. DuBois is the first Negro
从名为”哈佛”的白人♥大♥学 拿到博士学位的黑人
to receive a Ph. D from a white college called Harvard.
杜博斯博士 他还说过
Dr. DuBois, he adds,
对于一个黑人而言
“It is impossible… impossible for a Negro
想要从白人学校里接受到合适的教育 那是不可能的…不可能
to receive a proper education at a white college.”
这位美国最著名的黑人学者
The most eminent Negro scholar in America
就是常青藤联盟教育的成果
is the product of an Ivy League education.
杜博斯太了解白人反对改变的心理了
You see, DuBois knows all too well the white man’s resistance to change.
但没有理由拒绝黑人进入任何一所大学
But that’s no reason to keep a black man out of any college.
如果不是有些人在我们没准备好的时候 把制度强加给我们
If someone didn’t force upon the South something it wasn’t ready for,
那么我还如困兽般的活着
I’d still be in chains,
这边的布可女士可能还正从 她主人家逃出来呢
and Miss Booke here would be running from her old Master!
我很赞成
I do admit it.
非常正确
It is true.
很多白人都因种族仇恨受到折磨
Far too many whites are afflicted with the disease of racial hatred.
也因为种族主义
And because of racism,
黑人想要在白人♥大♥学里开心的学习生活
it would be impossible for a Negro to be happy
是不可能的
at a southern white college today.
没错

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!