Young lady. James. I just wanted to thank you.
为了什么啊?
For what?
为了你今晚的表现
Well, for your performance tonight.
我是说 还有多少其他的学生跟托森顶过呢?
I mean, how many other students ever stand up to Tolson?
– 我啊 – 你没有
– I did. – No.
你只不过回答了个问题 而我引用了很多名著
You answered a question, and I spouted a few quotes.
带”e”的布可小姐
Miss Booke with an “e,”
– 她反击了 – 然后输了
– she fought back. – And lost!
但是你本不会输的
But you didn’t have to lose.
为什么”炉边倾谈”不能是合理的信息来源呢?
Why isn’t a Fireside Chat a legitimate source?
因为托森这么说的?
Because Tolson says so?
没有人比总统更了解这些数据啊
Nobody has better access to those statistics than the president.
现在 如果你再跟托森讨论这事儿 你就会赢了
Now, if you’d have called Tolson on that, you would have won.
我不知道 我敢肯定他会再编出个什么理由
I don’t know. I’m sure that man would have come up with something.
晚安了 詹姆士
Good night, James.
你能相信他…
[Samantha] Can you believe he’s
– 晚安 萨曼莎. – 14岁 他已经上大学了?
– Good night, Samantha. – 14 years old, and he’s in college?
你们都很有天赋 所有人都是
You are gifted, all of you.
所以我想让你们知道 目前队员的选择只是平衡的结果
So I want you to know that I chose this team for balance,
你们任何一个人都没有必要
and none of you should take it as a failure…
把落选当作是你们聪明才智的一场失败
as a denigration of your intellect.
毁誉 送给你们的一个词
Denigrate. There’s a word for you.
来自于拉丁单词”niger” 是诽谤和抹黑的意思
From the Latin word “niger,” to defame, to blacken.
总会这样 不是吗? 甚至是在字典里
It’s always there, isn’t it? Even in the dictionary.
甚至是在一名黑人教授的演说中
Even in the speech of a Negro professor.
不知道为什么 “黑色”总是和失败划等号♥
Somehow, “black” is always equated with failure.
那好吧 写在你们自己的字典上
Well, write your own dictionary.
把它当成一个新的开始
And mark this as a new beginning,
不管你是入选与否
whether you make the team or not.
1935-1936年度威利学院辩论队的成员是
The Wiley College Forensics Society of 1935-1936 is as follows:
辩手是…
The debaters…
来自上一年度队伍的汉弥尔顿·伯吉斯先生
will be Mr. Hamilton Burgess from last year’s team…
– 耶 – 坐下 伯吉斯先生
– Yea! – Sit down, Mr. Burgess.
亨利·罗先生
Mr. Henry Lowe.
我们的替补之一
Our alternates.
带”e”的萨曼莎·布可小姐
Miss Samantha Booke. With an “e.”
还有最后的是…
And finally…
小詹 慢点
Junior, slow down.
– 爸爸呢? – 安静点 他在写讲稿呢
– Where’s Dad? – Quiet. He’s writing a lecture.
– 爸爸 – 小詹
– Dad. – Junior.
男人最大的弱点是什么?
What is the greatest weakness of man?
不相信?怀疑?
Not believing? Doubt?
就是这个 多谢了 小詹
That’s it. Thank you, Junior.
马太福音14章31节
Matthew 14:31.
– 就是个教训 – 爸爸
– That will be the lesson. – Dad.
“缺乏信念 你为什么要怀疑我呢?”
“O you of little faith, why do you doubt me?”
爸爸?
Dad?
怎么了 儿子?
What is it, son?
我入选辩论队了
I made the debate team.
哦 祝贺你
Well, congratulations.
你们队里都有谁呢?
And who is on your team?
哦 有四个人 我是替补之一
Um, there’s four of us. I’m one of the alternates.
你前面还有谁
Who’s ahead of you?
汉弥尔顿·伯吉斯 和亨利·罗
Hamilton Burgess and Henry Lowe.
还有一个替补是萨曼莎·布可
And the other alternate’s Samantha Booke.
女孩儿吗?
There’s a girl?
她想当律师
She wants to be a lawyer.
– 律师? – 她很聪明
– A lawyer? – She’s very intelligent.
漂亮吗?
Is she pretty?
我不知道 我没有注意过
I don’t know. I never really noticed.
虽然课余活动例如辩论队很好
Because extracurricular activities like the debate team are fine,
但你也不要顾此失彼啊 儿子
but you must not take your eye off the ball, son.
– 明白 – 嗯
– Yes, sir. – Hmph.
那我们在这儿干嘛呢?
So what do we do here?
我们要做我们必须做的 这样我们才能做我们想做的
We do what we have to do, so we can do what we want to do.
那你现在必须做什么呢?
What do you have to do right now?
– 我的作业 – 那就去吧
– My homework. – So get to it.
是的
Yes, sir.
我爸爸开了一家杂货店 里面有苹果 香蕉 饼干
My daddy owns a grocery store that has apples, bananas, cookies,
油炸圈 鸡蛋 无花果
doughnuts, eggs, figs,
还有”刚佐拉”豆
and “gonzola” beans.
没错 刚佐拉豆是什么?
Right. What’s a gonzola bean?
– 猪食 – 猪食
– Hogwash! – Hogwash!
“刚佐拉”豆?
“Gonzola” bean?
准备 好了 走
Ready, set, go!
– 杏 还有… – 猪食
– Apricots, uh… – Hogwash.
什么 没有杏?
What, no apricots?
小心
Look out!
那是什么啊?
What was that?
我也不敢肯定
I’m not sure.
坐下
Sit down.
你们都坐下
You stay put.
呆着别动
Be still.
这是什么?
What is it?
是只猪
It’s a pig.
撞了只猪
Hit a pig.
闭嘴
Shut up, dog!
小詹 回到车上去
Junior, get in the car.
我的猪这是怎么了?
What the hell happened to my hog?
很抱歉 我也不知道怎么跑出来的
Sorry about that. Came out of nowhere.
我没有看到它跑出来
I didn’t see it coming.
你把我的猪给撞死了
You done killed my hog, boy.
很抱歉 我会赔偿你们的损失的
Truly sorry. Gladly pay you for it.
多少…你们想要多少?
How much… How much you want?
差不多得25块钱吧
It’s gonna cost you $25.
我现在身上只带了几块钱 不过我…
Only have a few bucks on me right now, but I can…
我有支票
I do have a check.
马歇尔市威利大学的月付支票
My monthly check, for Wiley College in Marshall.
有17块3毛6
It’s for $17.36.
你们可以拿去
You may have that.
我会签给你们
I will endorse that over to you.
你要干嘛?
You’ll do what?
我会给你们签张支票
I will sign the check over to you.
好吧 让我们看看
Well, let me see it.
在车里呢 我妻子那里
It’s in the car, with my wife.
走到车那边去
Gonna walk to the car now.
小詹 回到车里去
Junior, get in the car.
把那张薪水支票给我 Pearl.
Give me that salary check, Pearl.
我们需要那笔钱 詹姆士.
We need that money, James.
把支票给我
Just give me the check.
快点
Go on.
他老婆拿着呢
His wife has it.
我记得就在这儿呢
I thought it was in here.
放松点 别着急
Just relax. It’s all right.
就在这儿 没事
It’s in here. You’ll find it.
在这儿呢
Here it is.
在这儿呢
Here it is.
这支票最好没有问题 伙计
That check better be good, boy.
没有问题
It’s good.
行了 捡起来吧
Well, pick it up!
给你
Here it is.
哦 哦 哦 你想去哪里啊?
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Where the hell do you think you’re going?
你得帮我们把猪抬到卡车上去
You got to help us get this hog in my truck.
快点 抓住尾巴那边
Come on. Grab the tail end of that, boy.
好吧 等我数到三
All right, on three.
一 二 三
One, two, three!
这些黑鬼 还真以为自己 是什么优雅人士不能把手弄脏呢
Town niggers. They think they’re too good to get their hands dirty.
– 爸爸… – 我告诉你让你回车上去
– Dad… – I told you to get in the car.
我让你去做什么事情时 你就要去做
When I tell you to do something, Junior, you do it.
谁是裁判?
Who’s the judge?
上帝是裁判

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!