the liquor stores don’t open until 9:00…
可是你无法挨到九点
and you can’t last until 9:00!
又或许那是星期天 这是最糟糕的
Or it may be Sunday.
卖♥♥烟酒的商店全不开门
That’s the worst. No liquor stores at all.
酒吧也要下午一点才开 为什么?
And you guys wouldn’t open a bar, not until 1:00. Why? Why, Nat?
大家有时总得上上教堂
Because we gotta go to church once in a while, that’s why.
是啊 你们专挑我最需要喝酒的时候
Yeah, when a guy needs it most.
你那两瓶酒怎么了?
What happened to those two quarts?
你昨晚全喝光啦?
You polish them offlast night?
什么两瓶酒?- 就你昨天带来的那两瓶啊
What two quarts? – The two bottles you had.
没错 我昨天身上的确有两瓶酒
That’s right, I did have two bottles, didn’t I?
我喝了一瓶 藏了一瓶 所以我还有一瓶
I hid one of them. I’ve still got it.
我是资本家 我手上握有丰富的资源 我发达了
I’m a capitalist, Nat. I’ve got untapped reserves. I’m rich!
要是你手头总是宽裕
If you had enough money,
我看你不要一个月就能喝死自己
you’d kill yourself in a month.
奈特 有没有一位绅士哈啰 柏南先生
Say, Nat, was there a gentleman here… Hello, Mr. Birnam.
你不是要出城渡周末吗? – 我显然没去成
Didn’t you go away for the weekend? – Apparently not, Gloria.
刚才有没有一位男士来找我?
Was there a gentleman here asking for me?
我还没看到
Not to my knowledge.
我们约好十一点在这里见面
He was supposed to come around 11:00.
他是从阿尔班尼来的
He’s from Albany.
又是你父母的朋友?
Another friend of the folks?
他是我父母朋友的朋友
More a friend of the friend of the folks-type.
有人打电♥话♥拜托我
Fellow called me up about him.
带他去参观纽约的观光景点
Wants me to show him the town.
你是说像是纪念碑之类的地方 – 那是当然的
Like Grant’s tomb, for instance? – But “def.”
我就搞不懂为什么总有人愿意
Ain’t it amazin’ how many guys come down from Albany
大老远从阿尔班尼赶来看纪念碑
just to see Grant’s tomb?
有时候我真希望 你也是从阿尔班尼来的
Sometimes I wish you came from Albany.
是吗?那你会带我去哪里玩?
Yeah? Where would you take me?
我们可以去很多地方
Lots of places.
像音乐厅 或是纽约客杂♥志♥的大楼顶
Music Hall, the New Yorker roof maybe.
在四十四街有一家戏院
There is now being presented at a theater on 44th Street
现在正在上演完整版的哈姆雷特
the uncut version of Hamlet.
我可以预见我们一起出发去观赏
Now, I see us as setting out for that.
你知道哈姆雷特吗?- 我知道四十四街
Do you know Hamlet? – I know 44th Street.
我很想知道你对哈姆雷特的性格有何看法
I would like to get your interpretation of Hamlet’s character.
我很愿意跟你分享观后感
I’d like to give it to you.
我们之后再用晚膳 不要在之前
Dinner later, I think. Nothing before.
莎士比亚的名剧 适合空着肚子欣赏
One should always see Shakespeare on an empty stomach.
我不能先吃一个咸面包填肚子吗?
Not even a pretzel?
麻烦给我一杯水
Could I have a glass of water?
没问题 请问你还要点些什么?
Why, sure. What’ll it be for a chaser?
这里是奈特酒吧 对吧 – 正是
This is Nat’s bar, isn’t it? – That’s what the man said.
我在找一位名叫葛萝丽亚的小姐
I’m looking for a young lady, name of Gloria.
你是葛萝丽亚小姐吗? – 我?
Are you Miss Gloria? – Who, me?
不 我不是 我是她室友 她现在不在
No, I’m not. I just live with Gloria. She’s not here.
那她去哪了? – 她生病 上医院去了
She isn’t? – No, she’s sick. She went to the hospital.
她昨天半夜阑尾炎发作
Ruptured appendix, middle of last night.
波的一声 搞得肚破竮流 吓死我了
Went like that. Pfftt! Scared the life out of me.
那真是太糟糕了 – 再见吧
Oh, that’s terrible. – Good-bye.
再见
Good-bye.
那我可以找你聊聊吗?
Could I have a word with you?
不了 谢谢 我心领了 不过还是算了
No, thanks. Thanks a lot, but no, thanks.
千万别客气 – 慢走
You’re welcome, I’m sure. – Don’t “mench.”
奈特 – 柏南先生
Nat. – Comin’.
你让那位男士一个人去逛纪念碑
Now, Gloria, wasn’t it rather rude to send that nice man
是不是太残忍♥了?
all alone to Grant’s tomb?
我难得有机会跟你出去
When I’ve got a chance to go out with you?
那他当然只好靠边站了
Don’t be “ridic.”
那我们就这么说定了?
Is our engagement definite?
你是认真的 对不对?- 那是当然的
You meant it, didn’t you? – Oh, surely, surely.
我得赶紧去沙龙 做脸 做头发
I’ve gotta get a facial, a finger wave… the works, right now.
你会来接我对不对?我们要约几点?
You’re gonna call for me, aren’t you? And if so, what time?
你决定吧 – 八点如何?- 没问题
What time do you suggest? – How’s 8.00? – 8.00’s fine.
我就住在转角那家古董店楼上
I live right in the corner house where the antique shop is…
门口有印第安人木雕的那个
the one with the wooden Indian outside.
我总是说那是我家门牌 – 到时候见
“They got the Indian sign on me,” I always say. – I’ll be there.
我家在二楼 第一户
Second floor, front.
柏南先生 我只有半正式的礼服
Oh, Mr. Birnam, all I got is a semiformal.
这样行吗? – 没问题
Will that be all right? – That’ll be fine.
再见 奈特
So long, Nat.
给我来最后一杯
One last one, Nat.
帮我温柔的倒满它
Pour it softly, pour it gently, and pour it to the brim.
麻烦你 在第三大道上 有很多其他酒吧
Look, Mr. Birnam, there are a lot of bars on 3rd Avenue.
拜托 你以后去别家吧
Do me a favor, will you? Get out of here and buy it somewhere else.
怎么了?- 你干嘛这样寻她开心
What’s the matter? – I don’t like you much. Why pull her leg?
你根本不打算跟她约会 – 谁说的?
You know you’re not gonna take her out. – Who says I’m not?
你只是个信口雌黄的醉鬼
I say so. You’re drunk and just making with the mouth.
给我斟满酒 – 另外那位女士
Give me a drink. – That other dame… the lady, I mean…
我也很不谅解你对她的所作所为 – 闭嘴
I don’t like what you’re doing to her either. – Oh, shut up.
你该看看她昨晚是怎么来找你的
You should’ve seen her come in here last night looking for you…
哭红了双眼 连睫毛膏都掉光了
her eyes all rainy and the mascara all washed away.
给我来杯酒
Give me a drink!
她是怎么跟你这种
How the heck did she get mixed up with a guy
无赖搞在一起的?
who sops it up like you do?
那就是问题所在 不是吗?
It’s a problem, isn’t it?
一位酗酒的绅士和一位高尚的淑女
That nice young man who drinksand the high-class young lady
她是怎么跟他搞在一起的
and how did she ever get mixed up with him.
他为何酗酒 又为何不戒酒?
Why does he drink? Why doesn’t he stop?
那就是我小说的主题
That’s my novel, Nat.
我本来应该去乡下开始动笔的
I wanted to start writing it out in the country.
这是一本病态的小说
Morbid stuff.
不是会登上畅销书排行榜的那种 一个恐怖的故事
Nothing for the Book of the Month club. A horror story.
一位酒鬼的告白:被酒瘾缠身的心路历程
The Confessions of a Booze Addict. The Log Book of an Alcoholic.
别这样 拜托你 行行好
Oh, come on, Nat. Break down, will ya?
知道我的小说要叫什么名字吗?”瓶中物”
You know what I’m gonna call my novel? The Bottle.
简单明瞭 就叫”瓶中物”
That’s all. Very simply The Bottle.
这整个故事都存放在我的脑海里
I’ve got it all here in my mind.
让我告诉你第一个章节的故事
Let me tell you the first chapter.
这一切开始于三年前 一个潮湿的午后
It all starts one wet afternoon about three years ago.
我前往大都会剧院 欣赏午场的歌♥剧 茶花女
There was a matinee of La Traviata at the Metropolitan.
大衣和帽子请寄放在衣帽间
Check your hat and coat, sir?
你忘了什么在口袋里吗?
Did you forget something?
不 我想回家了 如果你没有意见的话
No. Just going home, if it’s all right with you.
这件该不会是你的吧 – 当然不是
Say, this isn’t yours, is it? – It certainly isn’t.
但号♥码牌上明明写着417号♥
That’s what it says though. “417.”
我才不管那上面怎么写
I don’t care what it says.
一定有人把号♥码牌搞混了 – 你真是爱说笑
The checks must’ve gotten mixed up. – Maybe they did.
你知道我们里面有多少件素色风衣吗?
Do you know how many plain men’s raincoats we have on a day like this?
大概有一千件 – 那让我进去 我自己找
About a thousand. – Let me get back there. I can find it.
这不合我们规定 先生
No, please. That’s against regulations, sir.
我没办法在这里等到表演结束
I am not gonna wait here until the end of the performance.
那你可以明天再来拿大衣 – 明天?
Well, you can get your coat tomorrow. – Tomorrow?
你听我说 那件大衣口袋里
Look, there’s something in the pocket of that coat that l…
是这样的 我身上刚好没带钱
Well, it so happens I found myself without any money.
所以我现在就需要那件大衣
I need that coat, and I need it now!
要是每个人高兴起来 就可以进去乱翻的话
Listen, if everybody went diggin’ in through those coats…
我们有我们的规矩 大家都必须要遵守规矩
There’s regulations. There’s got to be regulations!
那你说我该怎么办?
Then what do you suggest?
等另外一位拿你的大衣来交换
Wait till the other party arrives and swap.
我现在就要我的大衣
I want my coat!
对我而言 先生 这件就是你的大衣
As far as I’m concerned, mister, that’s your coat.
你真是太热心了
You’re a great help.
你手上那件大衣是我的
That’s my coat you’ve got.
而你那件是我的 谢天谢地
And that’s mine, thank heaven.
他们把号♥码牌搞混了
They mixed up the checks.
我还以为你永远不会出现
They certainly did. I thought you’d never come.
你不可能有等多久吧
You couldn’t have waited so long.
我从第一幕就开始等你了
Only since the first aria of the first act, that’s all.
你向来都只看序曲吗?- 再见