Could you please page Miss Helen St. James?
圣詹姆斯 是的 她就在大厅里
St. James. Yes, she’s in the lobby.
海伦吗?我是唐
Helen? Don.
非常抱歉
Darling, I’m terribly sorry,
但是我要晚一点才会到
but I won’t be able to get there for a while.
你帮我跟你父母说一声
Will you please go ahead and have your lunch
你们先吃吧
and apologize to your parents?
没什么大事 我晚点就到
Oh, nothing serious. I’ll be there.
再见
Good-bye.
把灯关掉 – 唐?
Turn off that light. – Don?
快关掉 – 你在搞什么啊
Turn it off! – For heaven’s sake, Don!
我以为你和海伦的父母约了见面
I thought you were with Helen and her father and mother.
发生什么事了?
What happened?
说啊 – 我无法面对他们
Come on, Don. – I couldn’t face it.
你无法面对什么?你没去见他们吗?
Couldn’t face what? Didn’t you go to see them?
我去了 一点整就去了
Certainly I went… 1:00 sharp.
我是见了他们 只是他们没见着我
I saw them, all right, only they didn’t see me.
那是什么意思?- 他们是正经的好人家
Why was that? – Such nice, respectable people.
我怎么能面对他们和他们所有的问题呢?
I couldn’t face them, Wick. And all the questions they’d ask me?
我就是做不到 我太紧张了
I just couldn’t do it, not cold.
所以我打算先喝一杯 就一杯
I had to have a drink first, just one…
可惜一杯对我来说根本不够
only the one didn’t do anything to me.
于是你喝了一杯又一杯 你这个可怜的傻瓜
So you had another and another. You poor idiot, Don.
你怎么就学不会教训呢?一杯对你来说
Won’t you ever learn that, with you, it’s like stepping off a roof…
永远是不够的
and expecting to fall just one floor?
你能帮我打电♥话♥给她吗?
Will you call her, Wick?
你跟她说 你跟她说我病了 或者说我死了
Tell her something. Tell her I’m sick. Tell her I’m dead.
你能给她打电♥话♥吗?- 好的 我帮你打给她
Will you call? – Yes, I’ll call.
她一定跟他们说尽了我的好话
She must’ve written them a lot of nice things about me.
说我是如何的绅士 是个白马王子
What a gentleman I am, a prince.
他们住哪家饭店?- 曼哈顿大饭店
Which hotel is it? – The Manhattan.
来自俄亥俄州托利多市的查尔斯圣詹姆斯夫妇
Mr. And Mrs. Charles St. James ofToledo, Ohio.
快起来
Get up, Don!
等等 海伦
Just a minute, Helen.
哈啰 韦克 唐在吗?
Hello, Wick. Is Don here?
唐?他不在 – 知道他可能上哪去了吗?
Don? No. – Any idea where he could be?
他不是在跟你见面吗?
Wasn’t he meeting you?
我们本来约好要吃午餐的
He was supposed to meet us for lunch…
但他来电说 他会晚到
and then he telephoned he’d be late.
我妈开始怀疑 他是我捏造出来的人物
Mother’s beginning to think I just made him up.
你想他该不会发生什么事了吧
Do you suppose something happened to him?
别胡思乱想
Nonsense.
但要是他没事的话 也该打个电♥话♥来啊
But surely he’d have called back if he were all right.
他是从哪里打给你的 – 我不知道
Where did he call you from? – I don’t know.
我大概知道了 他一定是从别的城市打来给你的
I think I have an idea. He called you from out of town.
哪个城市?- 费城
Out of town? Where? – Philadelphia.
他在那里做什么?
What’s he doing there?
那里的杂♥志♥社有个职缺
There’s an opening on the Philadelphia Inquirer.
唐跟他们联♥系♥了许久
The book section. Don wrote them, he wired them…
今早大概是坐火车去洽谈了
and I think this morning he just took an early train.
他一个字都没跟我谈过
Oh. Why, he didn’t tell me a word about it.
其实我也不应该告诉你
I’m not supposed to tell you either.
他想要给你一个惊喜 – 是吗?是的
He wanted it to be a surprise. – He did?
他或许有事耽搁了
Yes. He probably couldn’t meet the right people right away.
你也是知道那种情形的
Missed a train. You know how it is.
要是他能找到工作 那就太棒了
It would be wonderful if he got the job and started working.
可是 话又说回来
Or would it, Wick…
这样他在费城 我在纽约
with him in Philadelphia and me in New York?
你可千万别告诉他 我这样说过
Don’t ever tell him I said that though, will you?
我当然不会 – 我总是想不透
Of course not. – I could never understand…
像唐这么有内涵
why somebody like Don… a person with such talent…
又这么有才气的人
such flashes of real brilliance…
或许我的立场并不公正
Maybe I’m a bit prejudiced.
你在干什么?- 它刚好滚了出来
What are you doing, Wick? – Nothing.
是从沙发底下吗?- 是的
From under the couch? – Yes, Helen.
你知道的 我认为唐搭乘了
You know, it’s my guess that Don caught an early train and…
那个是唐的酒瓶吗?
Is that Don’s bottle?
你为何那样说?
What makes you think that?
我们第一次见面时 也有一个这样的酒瓶
There was a bottle the first time we met.
是吗?- 它从唐的口袋里掉了出来
There was? – Fell out of Don’s pocket.
那瓶是我的 这瓶也是我的
That was for me, Helen. This one’s mine too.
我♥干♥脆将家里的丑闻一起告诉你 我喜欢喝酒
You might as well hear the family scandal: I drink.
唐认为我喝得太多
Don thinks I drink too much.
我也答应他要戒了这个毛病
I had to promise to go on the wagon.
我把这酒瓶藏起来 就是为了不被他发现
That’s why I hid the bottle so he wouldn’t see it.
真抱歉 我不该问那么多问题
Oh, I’m sorry, Wick. I shouldn’t have started asking questions.
毕竟那不关我的事
It’s really none of my business.
没关系
Forget it, Helen.
我该赶紧赶回饭店去
I’d better be getting back to the hotel.
唐搞不好已经到了别担心
Don’s probably there already. And don’t worry, Wick.
我什么都不会说的 – 谢谢 再见
I won’t mention a word of it to him. Bye. – Thank you, Helen.
海伦
Helen!
对不起 我不能让你离开 至少不是像这样
I’m sorry, Helen. I can’t let you go… not like this.
唐 – 唐 什么都别说 我送你下楼去吧
Don! – Shut your mouth, Don. I’ll take you downstairs.
感谢你为我编造了这个费城的故事 你很卖♥♥力
Thanks very much for your Philadelphia story, Wick. Nice try.
这酒和你真不相称
That looks so silly on you.
你别听他瞎说
Don’t listen to him.
她不必听我们说 只要看看我们两个就好了
She doesn’t have to. Just look at the two of us.
你们为什么要编这么多故事?
Yes. What is all this covering-up?
唐为了见你父母的事
All that happened is that Don was nervous
非常紧张
at the idea of meeting your parents…
所以他喝了点酒 如此而已 – 韦克 别装了
and so he had a couple of drinks. – Come on, Wick.
反正她迟早都会知道真♥相♥
She’d have found out sooner or later.
你们两个都别说了 唐只不过是有点紧张
Stop it, both of you. Don’s a little tight.
换作是别人也会喝上两杯
Most people drink a little.
很多人偶尔会喝醉 这没什么
A lot of them get tight once in a while.
是啊 只是那些幸运的人拿得起也放得下
Sure, the lucky ones who can take it or leave it.
其他的人
But then there are the ones
则是拿不起又放不下
who can’t take it and can’t leave it either.
我想要对你说的是
What I’m trying to say is,
我不仅是平常小酌而已
I’m not a drinker.
我根本就是个酒鬼
I’m a drunk.
他们甚至曾经把我送去医院关过
They had to put me away once.
他去的是戒酒中心 – 可惜一点用也没有
He went to a cure. – Which didn’t take.
知道吗 我们第一次见面时
You see, that first time we met,
为了你好 我应该当着你的面喝醉
I should’ve had the decency to get drunk just for your sake.
为了我好?我们现在讨论的是你啊
For my sake? We’re talking about you.
真的有那么糟糕吗?- 是的
Is it really that bad, Wick? – Yes, it is.
我们可以等你明天
Can’t we go over this tomorrow, Don,
精神好一点的时候再来谈
when you’re feeling more like yourself?
海伦已经听到实话了 而事实就是如此
Helen’s heard the facts. That’s all there is to it.
是的 我听到了 情况听起来的确不太好
Yes, I’ve heard them, and they’re not too pleasant.
但事情有可能更糟糕
But they could be worse.
你毕竟不是强盗或杀人犯
After all, you’re not an embezzler or a murderer.
你不过比较贪杯 那也不是什么要人命的事
You drink too much, and that’s not fatal.
就算上次戒酒没有成效 也还有其他种治疗方法
One cure didn’t take. There are others.
那是当然的 – 这听起来好像老调重弹
Of course there are. – This has a familiar ring.
但你一定有酗酒的理由
But there must be a reason why you drink, Don.
我们可以去请教医师
The right doctor could find it.
这个用不着请教医师
Look, I’m way ahead of the right doctor.
我知道理由 理由就是我自己本身
I know the reason. The reason is me, what I am.
或者应该说 理由在于我的不足
Or rather, what I’m not…
酗酒弥补了我所不能成就的事
what I wanted to become and didn’t.
你到底想成就什么?
What is it you want to be so much that you’re not?
我想成为一个作家
A writer.
很蠢 是不是?
Silly, isn’t it?
在学校里的时候 大家都认为我是天才
You know, in college, I passed for a genius.
大学的校刊没有我的文章
They couldn’t get out the college magazine
是出不了刊的
without one of my stories.
我那时真行 简直可以媲美海明威
Boy, was I hot. Hemingway stuff.
我十九岁时攀上了事业的高峰