Look, girls, look. Come and have a look.
看呐 女儿们 快过来看
These are wonderful treasures. Look. Here. You take that.
多好的东西 看 这里 你拿着
Look at that. What a beauty.
快看 太美了
Mother!
妈妈!
Where is she?
她在哪儿?
It’s all right, honey. It’s all right.
没事儿的 宝贝 没事儿
Leech attack all over this place.
这地方到处都是水蛭
Some of them baboons bigger than man.
有些狒狒比人都大个儿
Okay, Mr. Haddy, thank you.
谢谢了 Haddy先生
Oh, my God.
我的老天
Look at you.
看看你的样子
Look at me?
看我?
Look at you.
看你自己吧
What’s that?
什么东西?
I miss my old home in America.
我想念美国老家了
Me, too.
我也是
We all do. Now, who wants some orange?
谁不想 谁要吃橘子?
No, thanks.
不了 谢谢
Nobody loves America more than I do, you know.
没有人比我更喜欢美国了 你知道的
That’s why we left, ’cause I couldn’t bare to watch.
这才是我们离开的原因 我实在是看不下去了
You kids have got to understand this.
你们这些孩子应当学会理解这件事
It’s like when my mother died.
就像我母亲过世的时候
She’d been strong as an ox.
她曾经健壮得像一头牛
Fell down, broke her hip, went into the hospital and caught double pneumonia.
有一天摔倒了 髋关节受了伤 送进医院后又患上了双侧性肺炎
She’s laying in bed dying and I went over and held her hand.
她躺在病床上奄奄一息 我在旁边握住她的手
She looked up to me. You know what she said?
她看着我 你们知道她说了什么吗?
“Why don’t you give me some rat poison?”
“你们还不如给我老鼠药让我走得痛快些”
I couldn’t listen. I couldn’t watch, so I went away.
我简直听不下去 也无法直视 只好走开
People said I was the height of callousness.
大家说我太冷漠无情了
It’s not true.
但那不是真的
I loved her too much to watch her die.
我是因为太爱她而不忍♥心眼睁睁看着她死去
I’m not here to boss you around.
我不是来这里当你们的老板的
I’m here to work for you.
我是来为你们工作
And if I’m not working hard enough, you just tell me and I’ll work harder.
而且如果我不够努力 还请你们督促我不许偷懒
You just come up and say:
你们可以直接告诉我:
“Mister, you gotta do a whole lot better than that.”
“先生 你完全可以做得更好的”
And I will.
我一定照办
What do you want to do first? Where do you want to begin?
你们准备从哪里着手?从哪儿开始?
You tell me.
你们来告诉我
Fish farm? Chicken run? Bridge? What? You tell me.
从农场开始?还是养鸡场?桥梁?你们来决定
Right. I heard that.
很好 我听见了
You want to begin with the planting. That’s sensible.
从种植业着手对吧 非常明智的选择
Take care of the animal needs first.
把动物的需求放在第一位
Come along, we’ve got it all worked out.
一起来 都安排妥当了
Go to your assigned row according to the colors that…
根据之前划分的颜色分配小组…
…you were told about earlier. These are pumpkin seeds.
…这些是南瓜种子
About this deep, this far apart.
这么深 这样宽的距离
Jerry, corn for you.
Jerry 你负责玉米
How are you doing, Charlie?
Charlie 你那边进行得如何?
All right, Dad.
很好 爸爸
Right now, someone in America is pushing an electric squeezer…
此时此刻的美国某处 有人正按下一个垃圾无害化处理的…
…down a garbage disposal and saying it’s busted.
…电动粉碎机按钮 并告诉人们垃圾已经被处理了
Someone else is opening a can of chocolate-flavored soup…
另外有人正在打开一罐巧克力味的汤…
…because the car wouldn’t start to eat out. They really wanted a cheeseburger.
…因为车坏了无法到外面去吃饭 他们实在太想吃芝士汉堡了
That for true, Father?
真的假的?
That’s right, Francis. That’s why I’m here.
如假包换 Francis 你看我不就来这儿了吗
That’s why I came.
那就是我来这里的原因
It was not an easy life those first weeks in Jeronimo.
来Jeronimo头一个星期的生活尤其艰难
It was no coconut kingdom of free food and grass huts…
这里并不是一个椰子随便吃的国度 而且尖草弄得浑身是伤…
… and sunny days “under the bam, under the boo.”
…而且太阳光灼热得人只能呆在树荫底下
Watch the strings, kids.
孩子们 小心绳子
Good morning, ladies. Let’s get up. I need this tent out of the way.
女士们 早上好 快快起床 我要把帐篷都挪走
Charlie, help your mother with the tent.
Charlie 去帮妈妈移开帐篷
This was work and more work. A routine that took up every daylight hour.
每天都有做不完的工作 白天被日常劳作占据得满满当当
In Hatfield we had done pretty much what we pleased.
在Hatfield的时候我们倒是说得尽兴了
Here things were different.
但是事情到这里变得完全不是那么回事儿
Have you got some flooring up there?
上面有地板木吗?
Charlie’s supposed to have the flooring up there for the men to work.
Charlie负责把地板送上去给他们装
Let’s get that lumber up here now.
现在把木料都运上来
It’s an absolute sin to accept the decadence of obsolescence.
对荒废颓败照单全收根本就是罪过
Why do things get worse?
为什么事情会变得越来越糟?
They don’t have to. They could get better.
他们没必要那样做 完全可以更好的
We accept that things fall apart, but they don’t have to.
我们能接受事物荒败 但他们没必要这么做
Things will last forever.
万物生生不息
We eat when we’re not hungry, drink when we’re not thirsty.
我们不饿也在进食 不渴也在喝水
We buy what we don’t need and throw away everything that’s useful.
我们买♥♥不需要的物品 丢掉的却是实用的东西
Why sell a man what he wants? Sell him what he doesn’t need.
为什么一个人要什么就卖♥♥他什么?应该卖♥♥给他不需要的
Pretend he has eight legs, two stomachs and money to burn.
就像是他有八条腿 俩胃和数不尽的钱可以烧
It’s wrong. Wrong! Wrong!
大错特错!大错特错啊!
There are people in New York who’d kill you for a quarter.
在纽约会有人为了25分钱而杀人
You don’t dare take a walk for fear somebody’ll stick a knife in your ribs.
你会因为害怕有人把刀子捅进你的肚子而不敢在街上散步
Stay home and they come in through the windows.
呆在家又会有人破窗而入
Ten-year-old homicidal maniacs on every corner.
转角到处都是10岁的杀人狂
They go to school.
他们也上学
They go to school.
正常上学
You know what the biggest problem with the 20th century is?
你知道20世纪最大的问题是什么吗?
People can’t stand to be alone.
人们无法忍♥受孤独
Can’t stand it.
完全无法忍♥受
Double-digit inflation and a $2.00 loaf of bread.
两位数的通货膨胀 面包要卖♥♥两刀
Good.
很好
Great. You’re going to be my fish farmer, Mr. McGregor.
太棒了 你来负责鱼类养殖吧 McGregor先生
I think about it.
我也这么想的
Right. You think about it.
很好 你也这么想的
We’ll breed all the fish we need to eat right here. It’ll be here when we need it.
我们要在这儿培育各种我们需要的鱼类 我们需要的时候就全都有了
Just scoop ’em up and put ’em in the pot.
直接出塘进锅
We gotta get this cleared up. Clear all this trash out of the water.
把这里整饬干净 水里的垃圾也要清理完
How am I doing, boy?
孩子 我♥干♥得怎么样?
Fine, Dad.
很好 爸爸
Strictly speaking, there’s no such thing as invention, you know.
老实说 这事儿跟发明东西很有区别 你懂的
It’s just magnifying what already exists.
要放大所有现成的东西
Father often talked of things being revealed.
父亲常常讲述事情怎么被发现的
That was true invention, he said.
他说那才是真正的发明
Revealing something’s use, and magnifying it.
发现有用的东西 然后无限地拓展放大
Discovering it’s imperfections and proving it…
发现并证明事物的缺陷…
… and putting it to work for you.
…然后将它转为对自己有利的
God had left the world incomplete, he said.
他说 上帝并没有完整这个世界
And it was man’s job to understand how it worked.
弄清这个残缺的世界该如何运作是人类是职责
To tinker with it and to finish it.
修葺并完成它
I think that was why he hated missionaries so much.
我想父亲之所以如此讨厌传教士是因为
Because they taught people to put up with their earthly burdens.
传教士们告诉人们要背负起一切负担
For Father there were no burdens that couldn’t be fitted…
对父亲而言 一件有轮子的设备或者滑行装置…
… with a set of wheels or runners or a system of pulleys.
…就可以完全解决负重的问题
Look what we found.
看我们找到了什么
Can you help us?
可以帮帮忙吗?
What have you got, girls?
女儿们 发现什么啦?
Can you fix it?
这个能修好吗?
Yeah, I can get this going.
可以 我能修好它
Don’t just sit there, honey, pedal.
别光坐着 宝贝儿 使劲儿踩
No need to worry about these kids’ education, Mother.
孩子妈 你无需担心孩子们的教育问题
This is the education they need.
这里的一切才是他们需要受到的教育
This is the kind of education every American should have gotten.
每一个美国人都该受到的教育
When America’s devastated and laid to waste by nuclear holocaust
等美国被核浩劫毁灭后…
…these are the skills that are gonna save ’em.
…现在他们所学的技能可以救他们的命
Not finger painting or home economics, or what is the capital of Texas…
没有什么手指画 家政课 或者德州首府是哪儿…
…but survival!
…而是被拯救
Rebuilding a civilization from a smoking ruin!
在一堆满是迷雾的废墟上重建人类文明
Experiment!
大胆尝试!
Hey, it’s Mr. Haddy, Charlie!
嘿 Haddy先生 charlie快过去
Hey, kids. Good to see you!
嗨 孩子们 很高兴再见到你们
How’s everything?
一切都还好吧?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!