I’m not protecting Lyndon.
我无意偏袒林登
No, you got his former Secretary of Defense,
不 但你认识他的前国防部长
Robert McNamara…
罗伯特·麦克纳马拉
the man who commissioned this study.
也是负责这次研究的人
He’s one of about a dozen party guests…
而他正是你庭院里的
out on your patio. I’m not protecting him.
一个座上宾 我没有偏袒他
I’m not protecting any of them.
我无意偏袒任何人
I’m protecting the paper.
我只想保护这家报纸
Yeah? Well, I wasn’t a stooge for Jack Kennedy.
是吗 我也不是杰克·肯尼迪的走狗
The night he was assassinated
他被刺杀的那晚
Tony and I were down at the Naval Hospital…
托尼和我守在海军医院
so we would be there to meet Jackie when she landed.
等杰奎琳降落后 和她会面
She was bringing Jack’s body
她带着杰克的尸体
back on the plane from Dallas…
从达拉斯乘飞机返程
and she walked into the room.
走进了房♥间里
She was still wearing that pink suit
她还穿着那身粉色西装
with Jack’s blood all over it.
上面浸满了杰克的血
She fell into Tony’s arms and they held each other…
她倒在了托尼的怀里 紧紧相拥…
for quite a long time.
抱了很久
And then Jackie looked at me and said…
然后杰奎琳看着我说
“None of this, none of what you see,”
“这一切 你看到的一切”
“None of what I say…”
“我说的一切”
“Is ever going to be in your newspaper, Ben.”
“你都不能写进你的报纸里 本”
And that just about broke my heart.
那伤了我的心
I never…
我从没有…
I never thought of Jack as a source,
我从没把杰克当作线人
I thought of him as a friend.
我只当他是个朋友
And that was my mistake.
那是我的错
And it was something that Jack knew all along.
杰克一直以来都明白
We can’t be both. We have to choose.
他不能既做线人又做朋友 我只能选其一
And that’s the point.
这就是问题所在
The days of us all smoking cigars together
我们一起在宾夕法尼亚大道上
down on Pennsylvania Avenue are over.
抽雪茄的日子已经结束了
Your friend McNamara’s study proves that.
你的朋友麦克纳马拉的研究证明了这一点
The way they lied.
政♥府♥满口谎言
The way they lied.
政♥府♥满口谎言
Those days have to be over.
满口谎言的日子必须要结束
We have to be the check on their power.
我们要监督他们的权力
If we don’t hold them accountable,
如果我们不能让他们承担责任
I mean, my God, who will?
我的天 那还有谁能
Well, I’ve never smoked a cigar…
我从没抽过雪茄
and I have no problem holding Lyndon or Jack…
我也不介意让林登 杰克
or Bob or any of them accountable.
鲍勃或者其他人担责
But we can’t hold them accountable
但如果没有了这家报纸
if we don’t have a newspaper.
我们没法让他们负责
When I get my hands on that study…
等我拿到了那份研究报告…
what are you going to do, Mrs. Graham?
你会怎么做 格雷厄姆太太
Happy birthday, by the way.
顺便说一句 生日快乐
Oh, that’s not what I heard.
我听说的可不是这样
Am I right?
不是吗
Hi. Good morning. Club soda.
你好 早上好 苏打水
Enjoy your flight. Yes, thank you.
祝您旅途愉快 好的 谢谢
Sir, I’m gonna need to put your seat
先生 在起飞之前
in the full upright position before takeoff.
我需要让您的座椅保持直立
Yeah.
好的
Must be precious cargo.
这想必是贵重物品
Yeah. It’s just government secrets.
没错 是政♥府♥机密
Please fasten your seatbelt. Thank you.
请系好安全带 谢谢
You know why we’re here? Beats me.
知道我们为什么在这儿吗 难倒我了
Hi, Marina. Hi.
你好 玛丽娜 你好
Do you want lemonade? Little early for me.
你要柠檬水吗 对我来说有点早
Loosen up, I’m buying.
我要买♥♥一杯 放松一下
What kinda lemonade do you have there?
你有什么样的柠檬水
Uh… It’s the one with the lemons in it.
就是… 有柠檬的那种
Okay.
好的
There you go.

Phil, help me out.
菲尔 帮我个忙
Grab my briefcase.
拿一下我的公文包
Is that…? Yep.
那是… 没错
It’s not the full report
这不是完整的报告
but it’s over 4,000 pages of it.
但这里有四千多页的内容
Are these in order? I don’t think so.
顺序是对的吗 我估计不是
There are no page numbers.
没有页码
Yeah, that’s where the top secret stamps were.
最高机密的章就印在那儿
My source had to cut ’em off.
我的线人只能把它们都裁掉了
I was supposed to retire on Friday.
我本来周五就要退休了
Ben, how we supposed to comb through
本 我们要怎么理清
4,000 pages of material?
四千页的材料
They’re not even loosely organized?
而且还没按顺序排好
The Times had three months.
纽♥约♥时♥报♥花了三个月
There’s no way we can possibly get this done.
我们怎么可能做得完
He’s right. We’ve got less than eight hours.
他说得没错 我们只剩不到八小时了
We could shoot for city. Then we’d have ten.
我们搏一搏 就有十个小时了
Hey, hey, hey. For the last six years
听着 过去六年里
we’ve been playin’ catch-up…
我们一直在努力翻盘…
and now thanks to
而现在
the President of the United States…
多亏了美国总统…
who, by the way, is taking a shit
顺带一提 他完全无视了
all over the First Amendment…
第一修正案…
we have the goods.
我们这下终于有了素材
And we don’t have any competition.
也没有竞争对手
There’s dozens of stories in here.
这里会有几十个故事
The Times has barely scratched the surface.
纽♥约♥时♥报♥不过浅尝辄止
We have ten hours ’til the deadline…
我们离截止期限还有十个小时
so we dig in.
所以我们要使劲挖
I think this memo’s from McNamara.
我觉得这是麦克纳马拉写的备忘录
“It is my belief that there should be”
“依我判断”
“A three- or four-week pause in bombing.”
“轰炸应停止三到四周”
Wait, wait, wait. I saw the other half of that memo.
等等 我看到了那条备忘录的后半段
Anyone have the back half of a cable from Dulles in ’54?
有没有人看到1954年杜勒斯电报的后半段
I thought I saw one from July.
我记得看到了一封七月的电报
Yeah, here it is. “The reasons for this belief…”
找到了 在这里 “我坚信如此 是因为”
“Are that we must lay a foundation”
“我们必须在美国公众心里”
“In the mind of the American public.”
“打下基础”
That’s it! That’s it!
就是这个 就是这个
So Johnson wasn’t trying to make peace.
所以约翰逊不是打算和解
He was just manipulating the public?
他只是想操纵民心
Eyes out for a suspension in bombing from when?
全面停止轰炸是从什么时候开始的
’65 to ’68.
1965年到1968年
What about a memo
有没有人见过 艾森豪威尔的
from Eisenhower’s special committee on Indochina?
印度支那特别委员会写的备忘录
Uh, Meg read a part of one to me.
梅格给我读过一段
Meg?
梅格
Anybody see a mention
有人看到哪里提到
of the RAND Viet Cong study?
兰德公♥司♥的越共研究了吗
Yeah, I think this might be from your RAND study.
我想这个可能是兰德研究的一部分
“VC are deeply committed.”
“越共态度很坚定”
“South Vietnam is a lost cause.”
“南越注定失败”
Whoa! There you go. Bingo.
漂亮 就是这个 成功锁定
All right. Meg, I need the…
好了 梅格 我需要…
Yeah, I put it on the shelf.
我知道 我放在书架上了
Couple of piles. We’re getting somewhere.
还有几堆文件 我们确实挖到了不少料
All right, it’s 1:30. Four o’clock story conference.
好的 现在一点半 四点开讨论会
Can I interest anyone in some lemonade?
有人想来杯柠檬水吗
Yes! Does it have vodka in it?
要 里面有伏特加吗
I don’t put vodka in my lemonade.
我不在柠檬水里加伏特加的
Go easy on the kid.
别逗孩子了
Why not?
为什么不试试呢
How much, sweetheart? A quarter.
多少钱 甜心 二十五美分
It’s 50 cents.
是五十美分

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!