Oh, God, yes.
天呐 当然了
Darling, you should hear how they talk at these meetings.
亲爱的 你该听听他们在会上是怎么说的
It’s as if it’s in a foreign language.
好像在说外星语一样对吧
No, I meant taking the company public.
不是 我是说公♥司♥上市的事
It seems we are cash poor.
我们没有钱了
You know, barely solvent.
你知道吗 债务也还不起了
That’s the newspaper business.
这可是新闻行业啊
That’s our newspaper business…
是我们的新闻行业
and we need the public offering
我们需要公开募股
to stay in business and to continue to grow.
才能继续经营 继而发展壮大
That’s what Fritz says.
弗里茨是这么说的
And he also says that the family
他也说家族可以继续
can maintain control if we…
拥有公♥司♥的控制权 如果我们…
Anyway, I’m just not sure your grandfather…
总之 我觉得你的祖父不会…
would have wanted us to give up any control at all.
想让我们放弃丝毫的控制权
Hello? Mrs. Graham?
你好 是格雷厄姆女士吗
Yes? This is she.
是 我是
Please hold for the Chief of Staff.
白宫参谋长想和您通话 请稍等
Who is it?
是谁
Haldeman.
霍尔德曼
Mrs. Graham, Bob Haldeman.
格雷厄姆女士 我是鲍勃 霍尔德曼
Yes, hello.
是的 你好
We’ve got a bit of an issue over here.
我们遇到了一点麻烦
Oh?
是吗
Well, that makes perfect sense.
这样是完全合理的
Do you agree with that?
你同意吗
Without a doubt.
完全同意
Oh, Jesus.
天呐
I’m so sorry.
真的很抱歉
Sorry, sorry, sorry. Good morning.
对不起 对不起 对不起 早上好
So late. I had to get all this stuff together…
我迟到太久了 我得把事情都处理好…
and then I had an unexpected call.
然后我接到了一个意外的来电
Well, what is with the suitcase?
你带着这个手提包是做什么
Ben, I told you, this is the day.
本 我告诉过你 就是今天了
We’re meeting with the bankers today.
我们今天就要跟银行家们见面了
Oh, yes. Right, right. You know this.
对 没错没错 你知道的
I bet you every dollar in my wallet
我用我的全副身家跟你打赌
that you are the only person…
你是董事会里唯一一个…
in that boardroom who’s read through all that nonsense.
肯看完那堆废纸的人
I’m probably the only one who needs to.
也就只有我需要看那些了
What do you think of Neil Sheehan?
你觉得尼尔·希恩怎么样
Oh, gosh, his coverage of Vietnam
天呐 他对越南的报道
is just absolutely marvelous.
真是妙笔生花
Why?
为什么这么问
You thinking of trying to steal him from The Times?
你要把他从时代周刊那边挖过来吗
I’m not sure we can afford him.
我不知道我们能不能雇得起他
He… He hasn’t had a piece in three months.
他三个月都没有发表过文章了
Oh?
是吗
Do you think he’s onto something?
你觉得他在暗中调查什么吗
Well, I saw Abe at a dinner party last week
我上周在晚宴上见到亚伯
and he was looking mighty, mighty smug.
他看起来一副沾沾自喜的样子
Doesn’t he always?
他不是一直都是这样吗
So who was it?
所以那是谁
Who was what?
什么是谁
Your unexpected call.
你的意外来电
Oh, I buried the lede.
我说了一点没说完
The White House.
白宫打来的
Haldeman rang. Yeah?
是霍尔德曼 是吗
It seems the President has decided
总统决定不让
not to provide Judith…
朱迪斯来…
with credentials to cover the Nixon wedding.
报道尼克松的婚礼了
Jesus Christ. Yeah.
天呐 是啊
They said we could send another reporter.
他们说我们可以派别的记者去
Oh, yeah? Can’t believe that.
是吗 简直不敢相信
I know, I know.
我知道 我知道
But… But what?
但是 但是什么
I’m not sure I entirely blame
我觉得这次不能
the President on this one, Ben.
全怪总统 本
No?
是吗
Would you want Judith to cover your daughter’s wedding?
你会让朱迪斯去报道你女儿的婚礼吗
Well, my daughter’s only 10 years old…
我的女儿才十岁…
I think she burned her
我觉得她搞砸了
bridges when she crashed Julie’s reception.
朱莉的接待会时 就已经断送了自己的前程
They’re being punitive. Her pen is so sharp.
他们这是报复 她的文章太过犀利了
Of course it’s punitive. This is punitive.
他们就是在报复 这完全是报复
Of course it’s punitive.
他们就是在报复
She compared Tricia Nixon to a vanilla ice cream cone.
她把特里西·尼克松比作香草蛋筒冰淇淋
Yeah, she did. Yeah.
对啊 她是这么写的 是啊
I mean, why would her father want Judy
所以总统还怎么会想让朱迪
to cover his daughter’s wedding?
来报道他女儿的婚礼呢
Oh, come on.
拜托
I just…
我只是
Are you sure we’re striking the right tone here, Ben?
你觉得我们在往正确的风格发展吗 本
Oh, we’re gonna do this again?
我们还要再讨论一次吗
No. Uh, the New Style section.
不 我是说新风报【】
Sometimes that stiletto party coverage can be a little mean.
有时候关于上流社会派对的报道有些刻薄了
I’m handling it. I’m looking for a new editor.
我正想办法解决呢 我在找一个新的编辑
Yes, are you? Because I know
是吗 你有吗 因为之前
I’ve talked to you about this before.
我已经跟你讨论过这件事了
You are losing female readership, you know.
你的女性读者群体正在逐渐流失 你知道吗
And I think you might want to focus more
我觉得你应该多关注
on what women read…
女性读者想看的…
Katharine, keep your finger outta my eye.
凯瑟琳 别在我面前指手画脚的
You…
你…
These breakfasts were your idea, you know.
你要知道早餐谈话是你的主意
Yes. And you are the publisher and you are my boss.
是的 你是发行人 还是我的老板
And I, uh… I value the input,
并且我… 我很重视你给我的反馈
but I… I heard you the first three times.
但我在你前三次告诉我的时候就已经听到了
You know, I just think there might be another way…
我只是觉得或许还有别的方法…
that we could cool it with the White House.
能缓和我们跟白宫的关系
Maybe we could just send somebody else, you know…
或许我们可以派别人去…
Nope, nope. Nope. I’m not gonna send another reporter.
不 不 不 我不会派其他人去的
Because it’s not hard news, Ben.
这又不是什么大新闻 本
It’s just a wedding.
只是一场婚礼
It’s not just a wedding.
这不仅仅是一场婚礼
It’s a wedding of the
这可是美国总统
daughter – of the President of the United States.
女儿的婚礼
Why not let that girl have her day?
就不能让她好好享受那一天吗
And we can’t have an administration
而且我们不能让政♥府♥
dictating to us our coverage…
只是因为不喜欢我们的报道…
just because they don’t like
就对我们的报道
what we print about them in our newspaper.
指手画脚
Wonder if Abe cares so passionately
不知道亚伯会不会对谁来
about who covers the wedding for his paper.
报道婚礼的事如此热心关注
I don’t give a rat’s ass what Abe or anybody
我压根不在意亚伯或者
at The New York Times cares about.
《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的任何人在关心什么
Not true. I give one rat’s ass.
不对 我倒是挺在意一个人的
Yeah. One retromingent…
谁 那个最…
rat’s ass.
胆小的人
Well, it’s real important.
这事非常重要
Can you get him for me?
你能让我跟他说说吗
Tell them it’s from Sheehan. Don’t walk.
告诉他这是希恩给的 快去
It’s from Sheehan.
这是希恩给的
Abe, here it is.
亚伯 送来了
Okay, Broder’s got Nixon
好的 布罗德确认尼克松
working on his second term.
在为他的下一任期做准备
Osnos has something on GIS buying heroin in Saigon…
奥斯♥诺♥斯有美国士兵在西贡买♥♥海♥洛♥因♥的消息…
but Ryder’s got a rocket on the FBI list
更重要的是 瑞德对情报局的
of potential subversives.
危险分子名单有了重大进展
Save it for the afternoon.
我们下午再讨论

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!