听着 我猜首相不在书房♥里吧
Now, look, I don’t suppose the prime minister is in the library, is he?
首相 先生
Prime minister, sir?
在书房♥ 你不用做什么确认
In the library. You don’t have to confirm it
我们的首相 外交大臣 德国大使
are our prime minister, our foreign secretary and the German ambassador.
-你猜他们在谈些什么 -我不知道
-Any idea what they’re talking about? -I’m afraid not.
告诉我 史蒂文斯 你一点也不关心吗
Tell me, Stevens, don’t you care at all?
你一点也不感到好奇吗
Aren’t you in the least bit curious?
我无权对这些事情感兴趣
It’s not my place to be curious about such matters.
你无权
Not your place.
假设我告诉你 公爵
And supposing I told you that His Lordship
正在试图说服首相
is trying to persuade the prime minister
跟柏林那些战争犯达成协议
to enter into a pact with that bunch of criminals in Berlin?
我深信老爷肯定有他最高尚的出发点
I’m certain His Lordship is acting from the highest and noblest motives.
你不明白吗 就是这一点让人感到讨厌
Don’t you see? That’s exactly what makes it so abominable!
把这些崇高的好意扭曲成了糟糕的结局
Twisting these high and noble motives to their own foul ends!
请你务必要意识到 公爵正在成为
You do, please, realize that His Lordship’s been the most
纳粹在我们国家最有价值的棋子
valuable pawn that the Nazis have in this country in the last few years
只是因为他把别人想的太好了
precisely because he is good and honourable?
要我没有喝太多酒 就能让你明白了
If I weren’t so drunk, I could make you understand!
先生
Sir
我明白的
I do understand.
老爷正在努力维持我们时代的和平
His Lordship is working to ensure peace in our time.
建立在他们猛兽般的条款上的和平
Peace in our time on their beastly terms!
记得那次会议上的美国人吗
Remember that American here at the conference three years ago?
把达林顿公爵称为业余者
Called Lord Darlington an amateur, out of his depth?
他倒是说对了
Well, he was right.
他说的太对了
He was dead right.
我真不知道该怎么跟你谈论公爵
I hardly have to tell you how I feel towards His Lordship.
我跟你一样都非常地关心他
I care about him deeply, and I know you do too.
是的
Yes, I do indeed.
那你怎能忍♥心看他犯下如此严重的错误
Then aren’t you desperate to see him make this terrible mistake?
他被玩弄了 你不明白吗
He’s being tricked! Don’t you see?
还是你跟他一样被蒙蔽了双眼
Or are you as deluded as he is?
天哪 我可能真的冒犯到你了
Oh, dear. Now I’ve probably offended you.
没关系 先生
No. Not at all, sir.
没关系
Not at all.
请原谅我失陪
You must excuse me.
还有其他客人需要我
There are other gentlemen calling for me, sir.
请不要在意我说的话
You mustn’t take anything I said to heart.
我刚才太失礼了
I was very foolish a little while ago.
我没有太当真
I haven’t taken anything you said to heart.
实际上 我都不记得了
In fact, I can hardly recall anything you did say.
我只是太傻了
I was just being very foolish.
我实在没有时间跟您站在这儿闲谈
I simply haven’t time to stand here with you, engaging in idle talk.
建议您上♥床♥睡觉 您一定很累了
I suggest you go to bed now. You must be very tired.
晚安
Good night.
肯顿小姐
Miss Kenton.
史蒂文斯先生
Yes, Mr. Stevens.
我想告诉您
I’d been wanting to tell you
早餐室外面有个角落
It’s the small alcove outside the breakfast room.
可能是新来的女仆不熟悉
It’s the new girl, of course
我看到好几次都有积灰尘
but I find it has not been dusted in some time.
我会去看看的
I’ll see to it, Mr. Stevens.
谢谢
Thank you.
我知道您会想要知道的
I knew you would have wanted to be informed, Miss Kenton.
你好 莎莉
Hello, Sally.
你好 汤姆
Hi, Tom.
你没事吧
You all right, then?
你呢
How are you?
我很好
I’m good.
我们可以稍谈一会吗 就一会
Could we talk for a moment, please? Just for a moment.
最好快点 我正好要出去
We’ll have to be quick because I’m going out.
不会很久的
It won’t take long.
好吧 我们去客厅谈
All right, then. We’ll have to go into the lounge.
下午好
Afternoon.
舒适的小房♥间 不错
Nice little place, isn’t it?
有点像我们想象中的小旅馆
The sort of quiet little boarding house I had in mind for us.
像其他事情一样 也没能做成
Like other things, it didn’t work out.
你有什么事要说
What did you want to say?
我昨天见到凯瑟琳 她有些好消息
I saw Catherine yesterday. She had some interesting news.
她怀孕了
She’s expecting.
天哪
Oh, my goodness!
她想让我们礼拜天去喝杯茶
She wants us both over for tea on Sunday.
我可以来接你
I could come and get you.
我们可以一起坐巴士去
We could go together on the bus.
我再考虑一下
Yes, well, we’ll see about that.
没有了你 房♥子都是空荡荡的
House is that empty without you.
我没法告诉你
I can’t tell you.
你又在刮胡须的时候划伤了
You cut yourself shaving.
我知道
Oh, yeah. I know.
这些天 做什么都不对劲
Can’t seem to do anything right these days.
史蒂文斯 我经常想起那些美好时光
I so often think of the good old days
那时我曾是达林顿府女管家
when I was housekeeper at Darlington Hall.
那些年是我一生中最快乐的时光
Those years with you were the happiest of my life.
您还要再来点茶吗
Would you like more tea?
是的 谢谢
Yes, please. Thank you.
肯顿小姐 抱歉 贝恩夫人
Miss Kenton. I’m sorry, Mrs. Benn.
-抱歉 我来晚了 -没关系
-Sorry, I was delayed. -That’s all right.
请坐
Please sit down.
-我点了一壶茶 -很好
-I’ve ordered some fresh tea. -Lovely.
您要来点蛋糕吗
Would you like some cake?
-真的不要 -最近发胖了
-Sure? -All right. It’s a special occasion.
好吧
Good.
服务生
Waitress?
-请给我来一份蛋糕 -好的
-Could we have some cake? -Yes, of course.
-多年不见啊 -是啊
-It’s been a long time. -Yes, indeed.
您一点也没变
You haven’t changed at all.
也许 一点点
A little, perhaps.
我们都有变化
We’ve all changed, I think.
无论到哪我都会认得你
I’d have known you anywhere, Mr. Stevens.
多久了没见了 20年了吧
How long’s it been? Twenty years?
我想正好刚过20年
Yes, just over, I think.
茶怎么还没来
The tea should be along.
我们从报纸上看到了诽谤案
We read about the suit for libel.
这是个耻辱
It’s a shame
竟然称达林顿公爵为叛国者
calling His Lordship a traitor.
报纸真是什么都敢写
Those papers will print anything.
他们不该赢这个案子的
They should have lost the case.
当老爷走上法庭的时候
When His Lordship went to court
他真诚地希望自己能得到公正
he sincerely expected he would get justice.
然而 报社还变本加厉
Instead, the newspaper increased its circulation, and His Lordship’s
老爷的好名声全给毁了
good name was destroyed forever.
之后 在他生命的最后几年
Afterwards, in his last years, well
老实说 贝恩夫人
quite honestly, Mrs. Benn
他已经心碎了
his heart was broken.
我送茶到书房♥ 而他只是坐在那里
I’d take him tea in the library, and he’d be sitting there
他看也不看我 沉浸在他自己的世界里
and he wouldn’t even see me, so deep was he in his own thoughts.
他还会自言自语 就像在跟别人争论什么似的
And he’d be talking to himself, as though he was arguing with someone.
当然 只有他一个人
There was no one, of course.
不再有人来看他了
No one came to see him anymore.
那他的教子 卡迪纳尔先生呢
What about his godson, young Mr. Cardinal?
卡迪纳尔先生在战争中牺牲了
Mr. Cardinal was killed in the war. Waitress.
我要结♥帐♥
May I have my bill, please?
我很抱歉听到这个消息
I’m very sorry.
我知道您脑海中的达林顿府是它最繁盛的时期
I know you remember Darlington Hall in its best days
老爷也希望这样被铭记
and that’s how His Lordship deserves to be remembered.
可能这些好时光会再来 因为刘易斯先生来了
But perhaps the good days are back, now that Mr. Lewis is here
刘易斯太太也将到来
and Mrs. Lewis is arriving shortly.
他们很幸运 能有你管理房♥子
Very fortunate to have you running the house.
我们还是有点问题 肯顿小姐 抱歉 贝恩夫人
We still have problems, Miss Kenton. I’m sorry. Mrs. Benn.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!