像普通人一样
like gentlemen.
但是凡尔赛条约却让我无颜以对
The Versailles Treaty made a liar of me.
无颜以对 史蒂文斯
Yes, a liar, Stevens.
因为盟军制订的那些制裁条款太过猛烈
Because the terms we imposed were so harsh
以至于整个国家的经济行将崩塌
that Germany was finished.
对于战败国来说 不应该是这样的
One doesn’t do that to a defeated foe.
一旦举白旗投降 就应该全部都结束
Once your man’s on the canvas, that would to be end of it.
我那个德国朋友 被通货膨胀给害惨了
My friend Bremann was ruined by inflation.
在战后的德国连一份工作都找不到
Couldn’t get a job in postwar Germany.
于是自杀了
Killed himself.
在一节火车车厢里开枪自杀了
Shot himself in a railway carriage from Madrid to Berlin.
从那时候起 我便觉得有义务帮助德国并
Since then, I’ve felt it my duty, my job to help Germany and to give her
给这个国家公平的对待
a fair chance.
所以这场会议非常的关键
So this conference is crucial
不能有任何的意外来打乱会议的秩序
and we really can’t run the risk of any accidents.
你父亲的事
Look, here’s the question, your father’s leaving us.
你只要重新安排一下他的工作就行
You’re simply being asked to reconsider his duties.
当然 老爷 我完全明白
Of course, my lord. I understand fully.
很好
Good.
那这事就交给你了 史蒂文斯
I’ll leave you to think about this, then, Stevens.
谢谢 老爷
Thank you, sir.

You.
先生
Sir.
餐厅里缺人手
Look, I’m short-handed in the dining room tonight.
需要你到备餐室帮忙
I can use you in the servery.
-谢谢 史蒂文斯先生 -表现机灵点
-Thank you, Mr. Stevens, sir. -Smarten up. Look sharp.
早上好
Good morning.
早上好
Good morning.
我猜你肯定早起准备工作了
I might’ve known you’d be up and ready for the day.
我已经起床两个小时了
I’ve been up for two hours.
那样睡眠会不足
That’s not much sleep.
对于我 这些时间够了
It’s all the sleep I need.
我来跟你谈一谈
I’ve come to talk to you about someting.
说吧 我有一上午的时间
Talk, then. I have got all morning.
-那我直说了 -那你就快说吧
-I’ll come straight to the point. -Do, and be done with it.
你还有好些事要做
Some of us have work to be getting on with.
下周这里要举办一个很重要的国际会议
There’s to be a very important conference in this house next week.
各国的政要都会来这里作客
People of great stature will be His Lordship’s guests.
我们必须要做到万无一失
We must all put our best foot forward.
鉴于父亲您最近的意外
Because of Father’s recent accident
建议您不用再端盘子服侍用餐了
it has been suggested that you no longer wait at table.
我每天当男仆服侍用餐
I’ve waited at table every day
已经做了54年了
for the last 54 years.
您以后也不用再端那些重的盘子了
It has also been decided that you should no longer carry heavy trays.
这是一张修改过的工作清单
Now, here’s a revised list of your duties.
听着 我跌倒
Look, I fell
是因为地上的石块不平整
because of those paving stones.
有凸起的石块
They’re crooked.
你为何不在下一个人因此摔倒前去修整一下地面
Why don’t you get them put right before someone else falls?
您看一下修改过的工作内容
You will read the revised list of your duties.
去把那些石块给整平了
Get those stones put right.
你不想让那些重要人物因此摔断脖子吧
You don’t want those gentlemen of stature breaking their necks.
当然不
No, indeed, I don’t.
史蒂文斯先生
Mr. Stevens.
怎么了
What is it?
接下来您的工作需要到处走
You have what we can call a roving commission.
换种说法 就是最大限度地
In other words, you can exercise your own judgment
自♥由♥工作
within certain limits, of course.
这是你的拖把
Now, here are the mops, and here.
-这是我的拖把 -对 这是你的刷子
-Are these me mops? -Right. Your brushes.
这是我的刷子
And me brushes?
-这是我的拖把 -对
-And me mops. -That’s right.
你想让我用它们做什么
What do you want me to do with them?
我想你知道要怎么做 父亲
I think you know what to do with them, Father.
擦灰尘和污垢
Look for dust and dirt.
如果我发现任何的灰尘和污垢
If I find any dust or dirt
我就用拖把解决掉
I go over them with this mop.
对极了
That’s right.
我建议您先从
Now, I suggest you start off
这些门把手开始
with the brasses on the doors.
先那边的一扇门 然后是那边开着的那扇
There’s that door there. Then the door that’s open.
然后那边的门
And then there’s this door here
这是你的抛光剂和除尘掸
Here’s your polish. And duster.
接下来的一些日子 这里将会创造一段历史
History could well be made under this roof over the next few days.
你们中的每一个人
Each and every one of you
都该为自己在这段时间中的付出感到自豪
can be proud of the role you will play on this occasion.
想象自己身在军队的最前沿
Imagine yourself the head of a battalion
即使你只是在往水壶倒热水
even if it is only filling the hot-water bottles.
每个人的工作都有价值
Each one has his own particular duty
你们各有所长的价值
or her particular duty, as the cap fits.
给铜器抛光 把银器擦亮
Polished brass, brilliant silver,
把红木擦得像镜子一般能映出形状
mahogany shining like a mirror.
这是对这些外国来客最好的欢迎
That is the welcome we will show these foreign visitors
让他们知道 这是在英国
to let them know they are in England
在这里秩序和传统仍然是不变的主流
where order and tradition still prevail.
谢谢 布莱恩
Thank you, Brian.
老爷
My Lord.
老爷 那个美国人刘易斯先生到了
Mr. Lewis, the American gentleman has arrived.
他本该明天才到 你怎么安排他的
He was expected tomorrow. What have you done with him?
已经把刘易斯先生带到楼上房♥间了
Mr. Lewis has been shown upstairs, My Lord.
史蒂文斯
Oh,Stevens,
我的教子 卡迪纳尔 最近告诉我要结婚了
My godson, Cardinal, tells me he shortly becoming engaged to be married.
真好 老爷 恭喜您
Indeed, sir. I offer my congratulations.
谢谢 史蒂文斯
Thank you, Stevens.
我自认对这个孩子责任很重
I feel very responsible for the boy.
你知道他父亲是我最好的朋友 让我当这孩子的教父
He is my godson, and his father was my closest friend, as you know.
现在他去世了
And now that he’s gone, well I
我感觉自己就像是他父亲一样
I feel in place of a father to the boy.
我任命他在会议上作我的秘书
I’ve appointed him as my secretary at the conference.
他很高兴地帮助我做准备
He’s been jolly thorough in helping me to prepare.
我也知道拜托你的这件事 有点不合规矩
I realize this is a somewhat irregular thing to ask you to do.
我很高兴能帮上您的忙
I’d be glad to be of any assistance, My Lord.
我很不好意思说起这事
I’m sorry to bring up the thing like this
但是这事一直萦绕在我心头
but I just can’t see how on earth to make it go away.
你对大自然基本原理知识很熟悉 对吧
You are familiar with the facts of life?
-什么 -大自然基本原理
-My lord? -The facts of life, Stevens.
鸟儿啊 蜜蜂啊等等 你很熟悉 对吧
Birds, bees. You are familiar, aren’t you?
我不太理解老爷您的意思
I’m afraid I don’t quite follow you.
那我说的直白一点
Let me put my cards on the table, Stevens.
最近我忙于准备这次会议 当然你也很忙
I’m so busy with this conference. Of course, you are very busy too
但是必须得有人教教他
but someone has to tell him.
某种程度上 由你去说可能更轻松
In a way, it would be easier for you.
不那么尴尬
Less awkward.
我一直羞于跟他开口说这事
I’d find the task rather daunting, I’m afraid.
可能到他结婚那天都不会说出口
I might not get to it before Reginald’s wedding day.
当然这远超出了你的职责范围
Of course, this goes far beyond the call of your duty, Stevens.
我会尽全力的 老爷
I shall do my best, My Lord.
谢谢你帮我 让我放心许多
I’d be grateful if you’d try. It’d be a lot off my mind.
这事说的时候没必要手舞足蹈
There’s no need to make a song and dance of it.
就把该怎么做说出来就好
Just convey the basic facts. You’ve been done with it.
吓死我了 史蒂文斯
God! Stevens!
抱歉 太抱歉了 先生
Sorry. Most sorry, sir
我有些重要的事向您转达
but I do have something to convey to you rather urgently.
可以的话 我就直说了
If I may be permitted, I’ll come to the point.
不知你注意到了今天早晨池塘边的鸭子和鹅了吗
Perhaps you noticed this morning the ducks and the geese by the pond?
鸭子和鹅 我没怎么注意到
Ducks and geese? No, I don’t think so.
或者鸟儿 花朵
Well, perhaps the birds and the flowers, then
或是灌木 蜜蜂
or the shrubs, the bees
我一个蜜蜂也没看到
I’ve not seen any bees.
现在不是最好的季节说这些
It’s not the best time to see them, sir.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!