不像我们的美国同盟
Unlike our American colleague
我们欧洲人深知战争的恐怖
we in Europe know the horrors of war.
不论我们是法国人 英国人 意大利人或是德国人
And whether we are French or English or Italian or German
我们共同的愿望都是不想再次经历战争的伤痛
our one desire is to never have to experience them again.
确实是这样
Indeed.
让我印象深刻 或者说是被感动的是
Impressed, or I may say touched
大家的表现出的善意和友谊
by the words of goodwill and friendship I have heard
我向大家承诺 我会尽我最大的努力
I promise you that I shall do my utmost
来转变我国对德国的政策
to change the policy of my country
虽然她曾是一个战败国
towards that nation which was once our foe
但是现在 我敢于说
but is now, I may venture to say
她是我们的朋友
our friend.
女士们先生们
Ladies and gentlemen
美国跟各位一样也不想要战争
the United States doesn’t want war any more than you do.
但是另一方面 我们也不想用任何的代价来换取和平
On the other hand, neither do we want peace at any price
因为有些所谓的代价
because some prices, you may find
无比巨大
are too outrageously high to pay.
但是先不说这些 不久就知道了
But let’s not get into that now. We may have to soon enough.
现在 让我们举起酒杯敬达林顿公爵
For the moment, let us raise our glasses to Lord Darlington
感谢他的热情好客
in gratitude for his magnificent hospitality.
达林顿公爵
Lord Darlington
达林顿公爵是一个老派的英国绅士
Lord Darlington is a classic English gentleman of the old school.
体面 受人尊敬 非常好心
Decent and honorable and well-meaning.
在座各位也都是体面 受尊敬 好心的绅士
So are all of you. All decent, honorable and well-meaning gentlemen.
非常荣幸能在这里遇到各位
It’s a pleasure and a privilege for me to visit with you here.
但是
But
很抱歉这么说
now, excuse me, I have to say this
你们都是业余的
you are, all of you, amateurs.
国际政♥治♥事务不该由你们这样的绅士来管理
And international affairs should never be run by gentlemen amateurs.
你们一点也不知道
Do you have any idea of what sort of a place
这个世界正在变成什么样
the world is becoming all around you?
用你们高尚的作派来管理的世界已经不复存在了
The days when you could act out of noble instincts are over.
欧洲现在是权利政♥治♥的舞台 是现实的政♥治♥
Europe has become the arena of Realpolitik, the politics of reality.
不管你喜不喜欢 是真正的政♥治♥
If you like, real politics.
你们要讨论的不是像理想化的政♥治♥
What you need is not gentlemen politicians,
而是现实世界中的政♥治♥
but real ones.
你们需要专家来出谋划策
You need professionals to run your affairs,
否则你们只会引致灾难
or you’re headed for disaster.
绅士们 请举杯
So I propose a toast, gentlemen
向我们的专家致敬
to the professionals.
我不希望大家在相聚的最后一晚
Well, I’ve no wish to enter into a quarrel
陷入争论之中
on our last evening together.
但是让我说一句 你所描述的业余政♥治♥家
But let me say this. What you describe as amateurism
是我们在场的所有人都引以为傲的
is what I think most of us here still prefer to call honour.
肯顿小姐想对你说句话 关于您的父亲
Miss Kenton would like to see you concerning your father.
我猜您的专业 更意味着贪婪和权利
I suggest that your professionalism means greed and power
而不是这个世界所需要的正义和公平
rather than to see justice and goodness prevail in the world.
我毫不保留地告诉各位
I’ve never concealed from myself that what we were asking of Germany
这是我们国家的传统 谢谢
is a complete break from the tradition of this country. Thank you.
肯顿小姐
Miss Kenton.
史蒂文斯先生 我很抱歉
Mr. Stevens, I’m very sorry.
您父亲几分钟前过世了
Your father passed away four minutes ago.
我明白了
Oh, I see.
我很抱歉
I’m so very sorry.
我希望能说些什么来安慰您
I wish there was something I could say.
您能上楼去看看他吗
Will you come up and see him?
我现在很忙 也许过一会能去看看
Well, I’m very busy at the moment, Miss Kenton. In a little while, perhaps.
这样的话 请允许我合上他的双眼
In that case, will you permit me to close his eyes?
实在感激不尽 谢谢
I would be most grateful. Thank you.
我父亲肯定希望我把工作做好 我不能让他失望
My father would wish me to carry on. I can’t let him down.
是的 当然
No. Of course.
我很想继续那次的谈话
I’d really like to continue our little chat sometime.
关于大自然
About nature.
你是对的 我应该在万物复苏的时候回来看看
You’re right. I should come back when everything’s burgeoning.
是的 先生
Yes, sir. Indeed.
我之前说过 我最大的兴趣是钓鱼
As I said before, my main interest has always been in fish.
我小时候在鱼缸里养了一条热带鱼
When I was small, I kept tropical fish in a tank.
我非常狂热地爱好它们
I harboured quite a passion for them.
再给我倒一点酒吧
I’ll have another drop of that, if you don’t mind.
你还好吧
You all right?
我非常好
Yes. I’m perfectly all right. Thank you.
没有觉得不舒服吗
Not feeling unwell?
没有 先生 只是有点累了
No, sir. A little tired, perhaps.
太美妙了
Wonderful!
您带来的德国音乐真是太美妙了
What a beautiful example of German culture you’ve brought to this house.
您唱的很好
Very nice.
但愿我没有让您难堪
I just want to say I hope there’s no hard feelings.
我亲爱的伙伴
Oh, my dear good chap.
真想跟你好好地干一架
I like a good, clean fight.
打人的和被打的都能乐呵呵的
Giving as good as one gets, what?
我十分尊崇英国这个国家 我非常热爱这里
I have the greatest respect for the English. I love it here.
我小时候跟家里人来过这儿 所以感觉像在家里一样
My family brought us here as kids, so I feel at home.
不管怎样 谢谢
Anyway, thank you.
失陪
Excuse me.
你没事吧
You all right, Stevens?
非常好 老爷
Yes, perfect, my lord.
你着凉了还是怎么了
You coming down with a cold or something?
只是一天下来比较累
It’s been a long day.
对你我来说都是累人的一天
It’s been a hard day for both of us.
你做的很好
Well done.
谢谢
Thank you,sir.
请节哀
My condolences.
一次严重的中风 他没有遭受太多的痛苦
It was a stroke. A severe stroke. He wouldn’t have suffered much pain.
谢谢您告知我
Thank you for telling me.
有个外国先生正好身体不适
There’s a distinguished foreign gentleman in the billiard room
需要您去看一下
in need of attention.
很紧急吗
Urgent?
他的脚
His feet.

Feet?
-我带您去见他 -但愿是很紧急
-I’ll take you to him. -If it’s urgent.
非常紧急 这位先生处于疼痛之中
It is urgent. The gentleman is in pain.
请节哀
My condolences.
谢谢 肯顿小姐 您真是非常好心
Thank you. That is most kind of you.
下午好
Good afternoon.
我叫史蒂文斯 我来取我的信
My name is Stevens. I’m hoping there’s a letter for me.
-我帮您找找 -詹姆斯·史蒂文斯
-I’ll just check for you, sir. -James Stevens.
-我还想要两个苹果 -给您 史蒂文斯先生
-I’d like two apples, please. -There you are, Mr. Stevens.
您是在旅游吗
You are touring in these parts?
我正在去克利夫顿的路上
I’m on my way to Clevedon.
-多少钱 -三便士
-How much is that? -That’ll be threepence, please.
您是哪里来的
And you’d be coming from ?
-牛津郡 -靠近什么地方
-Oxfordshire. -Whereabouts?
-什么 -靠近牛津郡的什么地方
-Sorry? -Whereabouts in Oxfordshire?
达林顿
Darlington.
好像有点耳熟 是不是有个达林顿公爵
That rings a bell. Wasn’t there a Lord Darlington? Some sort
是个纳粹 把英国带进了二战的
of Nazi, got us in the war?
我是那里的管家 我的雇主是
I’m the butler there, and my employer
刘易斯先生 一位美国绅士
is Mr. Lewis, an American gentleman.
我对前一任屋主不熟
I have no aquaintance about the former owner.
您的找零
Your change.
我在海景饭店订了位子 就在码头对面
I should be glad to meet you at the Sea View Hotel, opposite the pier.
我们真是有太多要谈论了
We’ll have such a lot to talk about,
我也有很多的问题
and I’ll have many questions to ask you.
除了您之外 我跟达林顿府上的朋友都失去了联♥系♥
Ex cept for you, I’ve lost touch with all our friends at Darlington Hall.
但这是毫无疑问的
But that’s no wonder.
过了这么多年 发生了这么多事
It was long ago and a lot has happened in between.
怎么可能跟所有人都保持联♥系♥呢
Who could keep track of all the people His Lordship once employed?
老爷您找我
My lord, you rang?
年轻的德国女士到了吗
Have the young German ladies arrived?
是的 她们在外面
Yes. Lord. They’re just outside.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!