我怕感冒会传染给你
I worry you’ll catch my cold.
你闻起来像饼干
You smell like a biscuit.
我得回家了
I have to go home.
惊喜与喜悦
Astonishment and joy.
惊喜与喜悦
Astonishment and joy.
惊喜与喜悦
Astonishment and joy.
你什么都没做啊
You haven’t accomplished any of your responsibilities.
你需要帮助吗 不用了
-Do you need assistance? -No, I don’t think so.
所以你还没准备晚餐
So it’s a cold plate for supper tonight?
我这去挤牛奶
I’ll milk the cows.
五月三十日(星期五
Friday, May 30th.
阳光穿过树枝
The sunshine streaming through the branches
明暗交错
makes a tremendous farrago of light and shade.
我们保持着友谊逐渐深入
We hold our friendship between us and study it,
就好像那是我们逃跑的残缺地图
as if it were the incomplete map of our escape.
一天结束
When the day is done,
我的思绪就飞向了她
my mind turns to her,
还带着一股特殊的激♥情♥
and I think, with a special heat,
为什么我们注定要分开
“Why are we to be separated?”
你看到我就不笑了是在等别人吗
Your smile stopped. Is it meant for someone else?
对不起我心不在焉
Sorry, my mind was elsewhere.
我们需要印花布钮扣和鞋线
We need calico and buttons and shoe thread.
我这样和你坐在这里是不是打扰你了
Am I troubling you, sitting here with you like this?
点也不
Not at all.
我可能来晚了
I may be late coming to it,
但我学会了为他人着想
but I’ve learned consideration of others.
我明白了人类需要同情
I’ve learned the need for human sympathy
以及对同情的需要 永不满足
and the unfulfilled want of it.
我觉得自己对你表示了同情
I feel I’ve provided you with sympathy.
我想是的
I suppose that’s so.
微笑回来了
The smile returns.
再见
Good day.

Oh.
我相信亲密会增加善意
I believe that intimacy increases goodwill.
如果是这样的话,
And if that’s the case,
然后我们在一起的每一分钟
then every minute we spend together
会让我们成为更快乐的工人
will make us more cheerful workers.
难道我们的农场不会从中受益吗
Won’t our farms benefit from that?
我们的丈夫不会吗
Won’t our husbands?
我们所有的负担都会减轻
All our burdens will be lightened.
她离开的时候 我就像是海上的小船
When she left, I was like a skiff at sea
没有手 也没有舵来引导
with neither hand nor helm to guide it.
他们正在清理岔路口下面的排水沟
They’re cleaning out the drain under the street along the fork.
还有几个人发烧了
And several people are down with fever.
霍尔特过来挂培根
Holt came by to hang the bacon.
他还没从两个陌生人的殴打中恢复过来
He still hasn’t recovered from being beaten by two strangers.
不得不坐着马车回家
He had to be hauled to his home in his cart.
他说凶手本来要杀了他
He said the men who did it were gonna kill him,
然后凶手意识到自己搞错了
and then realized they were mistaken as to who he was.
最近你好像一直在说
Lately, it seems like all you talk about
都是强盗和劫匪
are highwaymen and house breakers.
恰恰相反
On the contrary,
我尊重你的敏感
I often defer to your sensitivities.
我还没告诉你
And I haven’t even told you about
全郡所有的报告
all the reports in the county of men
他们毒杀自己的妻子
who’ve poisoned and killed their wives
因为我觉得 这不是一个合适的晚餐主题
because I haven’t found it a fitting subject for supper.
杀了他们的妻子 他是这么说的吗
“Killed their wives,” he used those words?
嗯 那些话
Mm-hm. those words.
你们有什么分歧吗
Have you had any disagreements?
是的 关于我作为妻子的职责
Yes, about my wifely duties.
我告诉他 我反对我不愿意
I told him that I was opposed to it, that I was not willing.
他接受了吗
And he accepted that?
从那以后他就没碰过我 所以
Well, he hasn’t touched me since, so…
但我让自己感觉好多了
But I made myself feel better…
通过写一首诗
by composing a poem.
我能给你读一下开头的部分吗
Can I read you the opening stanza?
你可以把整首诗念给我听
You can read me the entire poem.
不 我从开头的一节开始
No, I’ll start with the opening stanza.
“我喜欢花♥园♥
“I love flowering gardens.
我喜欢匍匐的植物
I love creeping plants.
我喜欢在空中漫步
I love walking in the air,
但我怕成群的蚂蚁
but I fear swarming ants.”
我怕是没法给你谱上曲了
I don’t think I can support the rhyme.
你明白 我为什么没有读完整本书了吧
You see why I didn’t read the whole thing?
对不起
I’m sorry.
我一直是个反对派 和笨手笨脚的人
I’ve always been contrary and maladroit.
之前我…我觉得
Earlier, I… I felt that…
无论何时我靠近你 你都会撤退
whenever I would draw close to you, you would retreat,
如果我不主动 你才会向前走
and that, if I kept still, you would return
但你会保持距离 就像那些麻雀一样
but you’d stay at a distance, like those sparrows
他们只会呆在农家院子里 不肯进屋
that stay in the farmyard and won’t come into the house.
我不是这么想的 那你是怎么想的
-That’s not how I feel. -How do you feel, then?
我上学的时候
When I was in school,
老师让我和另一个大一点的男孩
the teacher had me read “Cordelia”
分别饰演“考狄利娅”和“李尔王
to an older boy’s “King Lear.”
在表演快结束的时候
Near the end of the play,
国王和他的女儿被囚禁了
the king and his daughter are imprisoned,
但他的表演是乐观的
but he views it in a positive way.
“来吧 我们去监狱”他说
“Come, let’s away to prison,” he says.
“我们就像在笼子里唱歌♥的鸟儿
“We two alone shall sing like birds in a cage.”
被禁
Imprisoned…
以乐观的方式
In a positive way?
好吧 也许那个人应该读完整本书
Well, maybe that one has to read the entire play.
也许只有在戏剧中
It may be only in plays where people
人们才会乐观地看待被监禁这事儿
are imprisoned in a positive way.
你不觉得这个笼子对我们有好处吗
You don’t think there’s a cage that could work to our benefit?
我只是
I just…
我只知道
I only know that…
我从来不喜欢笼子
I’ve never liked cages.
我希望你在香格里拉或廷巴克图度过了一个愉快的下午
I hope you had a good afternoon in Shangri-La or Timbuktu,
不管你去过哪里
wherever it is you’ve been.
是的 我的下午很充实
I had a busy afternoon, yes.
我想
I would think.
你离开了五个小时
Five hours you’ve been gone.
我去了卖♥♥布的店
I went to the drapers.
我找不到我喜欢的东西
I couldn’t find anything I liked.
然后我去小炉匠那儿买♥♥了一袋咖啡
Then I stopped by the tinker for a sack of coffee,
但他开价60美分而我只有50美分
but he’s now asking 60 cents, and I only had 50.
然后我想我应该请你吃点东西
Then I thought I would buy you a treat of some kind,
但阿诺尔德先生提醒我
but Mr. Arnolds reminded me
我最后一笔交易的钱还没还 所以
that I still owed for my last transactions so…
我不得不把钱包合上
I was forced to close up my purse.
告诉我 你今天都做了什么
Tell me everything about your day.
不要隐瞒任何事
Don’t hold anything back.
你对你妻子怎么打发时间不感兴趣
You’re not interested in how your wife spends her time.
我觉得我没有妻子
I don’t feel I have a wife.
我觉得我有个自私的妓♥女♥
I feel I have a selfish whore who…
宁愿去别人家里闲逛
who’d rather wander off to another man’s house
也不愿贡献任何劳动力
than contribute any labor.
戴尔去田里干活了
Well, Dyer was off in the fields,
而且她的家在你回家的路上 所以
and her house is on the way back home, so…
所以只剩下阿比盖尔和你
So it’s just Abigail and you
偷笑和八卦打发时间
tittering and gossiping away the hours?
享受彼此的陪伴
Enjoying each other’s company.
我有一定的憧憬 你也有一定的责任
I have certain expectations, and you have certain duties.
我们整天整夜地谈论你的憧憬
We’ve talked all night and day about your expectations.
我不会和一个总是和我吵架
I will not stay with a woman
的女人在一起
if it continually requires contention.
那你就不应该和我在一起 对吧
Well, then you shouldn’t stay with me, should you?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!