我还担心我的鸡蛋不够
I was worried I wouldn’t have enough eggs
因为我们出了点意外 -天呐
-because we had an accident. -Oh.
我雇来的帮手拉下一箱鸡蛋 打碎了两打
My hired hand pulled down a box of eggs and broke two dozen.
我宣布他是个倒霉蛋
I announced that he was unlucky to eggs
并且不允许他 再接近它们
and no longer allowed to approach them.
倒霉蛋”我喜欢这个比喻
“Unlucky to eggs.” I like that.
我告诉他 他的衬衫上有很多洞
I told him that his shirt had so many holes,
他可以把它做成项链
he can make a necklace of it.
嗯 我们总想要能雇得起一个帮手
Well, we often wish we could afford a hired hand.
雇工的粗心大意 可让我们吃了不少苦头
We’ve suffered a great deal from the carelessness of hired hands.
据说霍尔特先生雇佣的帮手不顾天气寒冷
Mr. Holt’s hired hand is said to have swum his horse
骑着马游过运河
over the canal despite the cold.
真的吗
Really?
是的
Yes.
冬天太艰苦了
Winter’s been so hard,
有时候韦尔登太太的儿子
sometimes Mrs. Weldon’s son
不得不用滑雪板送信
has had to deliver the mail on skis.
现在我们的信件丟的可快了
Now our letters can get lost at breakneck speed.
你求爱的时候 给泰莉写过信吗
Did you write letters to Tallie when you were courting?
我写过
I did.
泰莉把它们留下了吗
And did Tallie keep them?
那这就只有泰莉知道了
Only Tallie knows for sure.
2月25日星期
Monday, February 25th.
芬尼和泰莉的关系使我困惑
Finney and Tallie’s bond confounds me.
有时当他们的目光相遇
At times, when their eyes meet,
他们看起来是敌人
they seem yoked in opposition to one another,
而在其他时间似乎有一个共识
while at other times, there seems a shared regard.
我们之间发生了一些
There is something going on between us
我无法想明白的事
that I cannot unravel.
按着这儿
Hold this here.
好了
Okay.
谢谢你
Thank you.
你好 戴尔
Hello, Dyer.
你好
Well, hello.
你要走了
You’re off?
是的 去城里
Yes, to town.
祝你今天过得愉快
Have a good day.
她见到你会很高兴的
She’ll be pleased to see you.
生日快乐
Happy birthday!
给你带了点东西
Brought you some things.
手织的
Hand-knitted?
我希望你会喜欢
I hoped you’d like them.
我很喜欢
I do.
地图集
An Atlas!
美♥利♥坚♥合众国
The United States of America.
哦 还有一小锅苹果酱 上面放一个鸡蛋
Oh and a little pot of apple sauce with an egg on top.
我的脚快冻僵了
My feet are freezing.
哦 让我来帮你捂捂
Oh, let me warm them.
芬尼怎么样了
How’s Finney?
老样子
He’s Finney.
啊 好痒
Ah, it tickles.
我丈夫在他的日记中记录侵入者
My husband records trespassers in his journals.
今天早上当我问他
And this morning, when I asked him
他打算怎么对付他们
what he intends to do about them,
他的反应是如此的不愉快 我
his response was so unpleasant that I…
决定来看你
resolved to visit you…
这样 在我的生活中就会有一些
so that there would be something in my day
除了他的吝啬以外的东西
other than his meanness.
戴尔认为芬尼有许多可贵的品质
Dyer thinks he has many estimable qualities.
确实
He does.
他还用一个分类账来记录我拜访过的人
And he also uses a ledger to keep accounting of whom I visit
还有我待了多久
and how long I stay.
为什么
Why?
我不知道
I have no idea.
他越这样
As he’s gotten more like this,
我越不想弄清楚
I’ve given up trying to figure out
他古怪小世界
all the peculiarities of his…
所有的怪癖
odd little world.
我想 他对我特别不满 因为
I suppose he’s especially unhappy with me since…
我还没有给他生孩子
I’m yet to give him a child.
怀孕什么感觉
What does it feel like?
一开始什么都感觉不到
Like nothing at first.
但是当孩子开始翻身的时候
But then when she began to stir…
就像蝴蝶扇动翅膀一样
it’s like butterflies flapping their wings.
后来像一只兔子
Later, like a rabbit…
当她晚上踢腿的时候
when she kicked her legs at night.
这一切让我很害怕
It frightens me.
一想到没有经历这些
The thought of having none of that.
还有生孩子
And of giving birth.
我们大多数人都有这种感觉
Most of us feel that way.
但是
But…
时机成熟时 我会在你身边
when the time comes, I will be there…
引导你走出困境
to guide you through it.
戴尔肯定还想要个孩子
Dyer must want another child.
我明白
I understand.
生日礼物
Birthday gifts.
一盒葡萄干
A box of raisins.
你一直想要的那个针盒
That needle case you’ve been needing.
还有一罐沙丁鱼
And a tin of sardines.
你把我宠坏了
You spoil me.
你的新朋友送你礼物了
Oh, you got gifts from your new friend.
她几小时前就走了
She left hours ago.
我刚看见她离开
I just saw her leave.
大风暴开始了
The great storm began
东北方向传来微弱的呻♥吟♥声
with a faint groaning in the northeast.
那声音就像火车头发出的噪音
It was like a noise of a locomotive.
救命
Help!
靠近点 姑娘
Come closer, girl.
这里比较暖和
It’s warmer over here.
对不起 我要走了
I’m sorry, I’ll be going.
你应该等它结束
You should wait it out.
来吧玛丽
Come on, mare.

Dyer!

Dyer!
戴尔
Dyer!
还要多久 我才能收到泰莉的消息
How long would it be before I receive word of Tallie?
我还能等多久
How long could I wait?
谷仓里的饲料能维持多久
How long will the feed in the barn last?
每头牛每天吃26磅的饲料
Each cow eats 26 pounds of forage every day.
你应该知道
You should know that.
三天后他们就要饿肚子了
They start to skinny down after three days.
报纸上说 到那时暴风雨会停止
Heard the newspaper predicts the storm’ll let up by then.
但这可能是基于
But that’s probably based on
专家的胡说八道
an expert’s consultation of a goose bone.
“在真正的自然危机中我们都任凭他人摆布
“In a real crisis of nature, we’re all at another’s mercy.”
是的
Yes.
我母亲喜欢说
My mother liked to say,
“我们从一种屈辱跌落到另一种屈辱
“We tumble from one mortification to another.”
我七岁的时候 一场地震把我们的房♥子和谷仓都震塌了
When I was seven, an earthquake knocked down our house and barn.
我告诉过你吗
Did I tell you?
从来没有
Never.
-地震 -是的
-An earthquake? -Yes.
我记得黎明前有东西叫醒了我
I remember something woke me before dawn.
我不知道是什么
I don’t know what.
我父亲大声叫喊
My father was calling out.
但是我无法把自己从窗口拉开
But I couldn’t tear myself away from the window.
我看见鸟儿在空中飞翔不敢落下
I saw birds fluttering in the air, afraid to set down.
河水翻滚 我动弹不得
The river was roiling, and I couldn’t move.
然后
And then…
最后就像我的兄弟们之前做的那样
Finally, I jumped down to our collapsed stairwell,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!