to the far shore of accomplishment?
和成功的彼岸的桥梁又是什么呢
Faith.
是信心
Faith that your story is worth the telling.
觉得你的故事值得讲述的信心
Faith that you have the wherewithal to tell it.
觉得你有方法去讲述它的信心
And faith that the carefully wovenstructure that you create…
以及你小心建构的框架
won’t collapse beneath you.
不会在你脚下坍塌的信心
And faith that when you get to the other side…
还有当你到达彼岸后
there will be someone waiting…
有人在为你守候
who gives a damn about the tale you have to tell.
等待着你来讲述这个故事的信心
I’ll be back in a minute. Like Whitman, I admit…
我一会儿就回来 像惠特曼一样 我承认
I worship at the shrine of formal construction.
我在形式建构的神坛前顶礼膜拜
But like Conrad, I confess thatI have a secret sharer in my work.
可是又像康拉德一样 我忏悔我的作品有一个秘密的参与者
My double, my other self.
那就是我的分身 我的另一个自我
I am haunted by this malignant, remorseless shadow-
我被这个心怀恶意 冷酷无情的阴影纠缠不清
Grady.
格雷迪
Grady.
格雷迪
You had another one again, didn’t you?
你又吃药了 是不是
Is the thing-
演讲
Is it over?
结束了
Almost. Wanna sit up?
差不多了 想坐起来吗
What’s wrong?
怎么了
Nothing, I just twisted-
没事 只是扭了一下
Sara, there’s something I’ve gotta tell you.
萨拉 有些事我得告诉你
Something hard.
一些不好的事
Stand up then. I’m too old for all this rolling around on the floor.
那就站起来说 我的岁数已经不适合在地板上滚来滚去了
Give me a hand?
拉我一把
Well, this evening… Don’t.
嗯 今天晚上 别说了
I know what you’re gonna say.
我知道你要说什么
I don’t think you do know what I’m gonna say, Sara.
我不认为你知道我要说什么 萨拉
You love Emily. Of course you love Emily. She’s young, beautiful.
你爱艾米丽 当然你会爱她她又年轻 又漂亮
She’s your wife. You have to stay with her.
她是你的妻子 你必须和她在一起
B- But I don’t have a choice. Emily left me.
可 可我没的选择艾米丽离我而去了
She’ll come back. That’s why I’m going to-
她会回来的这就是为什么我
To not have this baby.
不打算要这个孩子的原因
You’re not gonna have it?
你不想要它
No, there’s no way. I mean, don’t you think there’s no way?
不想 绝对不想我是说 你不认为是不可能的吗
Well, I don’t see any, but I know what it means to you.
嗯 的确是不太可能可是我知道它对你意味着什么
No, you don’t.
不 你不懂
And fuck you for saying you do, for saying that there’s no way.
你♥他♥妈♥的竟然说你也这么觉得 竟然说不可能
Because there could be a way, Grady.
一定会有办法的 格雷迪
They must be finishing. We should go.
演讲一定快结束了 我们该走了
Whose gun is that?
那是谁的枪
A souvenir from Baltimore.
巴尔地摩带回来的纪念品
It’s heavy. Smells like-
还挺沉的 闻起来像
Gunpowder. Caps.
火♥药♥ 纸弹
Pow.

You got me.
打中了
I love you, Grady.
我爱你 格雷迪
The doors made so much noise.
门的声音可真大
It was so embarrassing. They had to carry him out.
真是够尴尬的 他们不得不把他搀出去
Is he all right? He’s fine. He’s narrating.
他没事吧 没事 他正在作旁白
They were going to the men’s room…
他们走向盥洗室
but would they make it in time?
可是他们能及时走到吗
Terry Crabtree and James Leer.
特里·克拉伯雷和詹姆斯·李尔
Leave it to you to make that mistake. Wait here.
留给你来犯这个错误了 等在这
I need a ride. I’m your man.
我要搭个车 我来送你
There’s an explanation.
这事可以解释的
Couldn’t he have just thrown a shoe at the poor thing?
他就不能丢只鞋过去吗
Antonia, listen… Tony. Now that I’m home.
安东尼娅 听着 叫我托尼 我现在到家了
Tony…
托尼
I’m sorry tonight didn’t work out the way you’d hoped to with Terry.
抱歉今晚没能让你如愿跟特里一起
Forget it. Your friend is just…
别管那事了 你的朋友只是
I don’t know, into collecting weird tricks.
我不确定 喜欢收集古怪的点子
I think he’d call it a habit.
我想他更愿意管那叫爱好
I do get the feeling he’s going through the motions a little bit.
我确实感觉他有点故作姿态
You mean because his career is ruined and all?
你是说那是因为他的事业被毁了的缘故
Is that what he told you?
他这么告诉你的
He said he hasn’t had a success in over five years, and…
他说已经五年多他在事业上一无进展了 而且
everyone in New York thinks he’s kind of a loser.
纽约的每个人都觉得他是个失败者
But he said he’s sure your book’s so good that…
可是他说他很确定你这本书会非常棒
he’ll be able to keep his job.
可以令他保住那份工作
And you’re not one of those writers who has a success and then…
而且你也不是那种
freezes up and never has another one.
昙花一现型的作家
You can turn here.
你可以在这里转
Gotta go. I think I may have to rescue James Leer.
我得走了 得去救詹姆斯·李尔了
You know, Grady, maybe…
你知道 格雷迪 或许
you should think about going home.
你该考虑一下直接回家
You look like you need a little rescuing yourself.
看起来你自己也需要被拯救
Hey, Grady. How are you?
嘿 格雷迪 你好
Can I get a double Dickelon the rocks, please?
能给我来个双份的混合迪科尔酒吗
I’m right over here.
我在这
Double Dickel.
双份混合迪科尔
Is that just beer? Primarily.
那东西只是啤酒吗 大部分是
Although I gather that the two of you staged a little raid
然而我知道你们对克拉伯雷药铺
on the Crabtree pharmacopoeia.
进行了一次扫荡
So where is everybody?
其他人都在哪儿
Sara and Walter declined. I guess they just wanted…
萨拉和沃尔特没来我想他们是想
to go home and curl up on the couch with Poe.
赶紧回家然后跟波在沙发上天伦之乐一下
Jesus, he’s out. He has a book.
天哪 他已经喝翻了 他手里有本书
I know. He started it in fall semester.
我知道 他从秋季学期就开始写了
Finished it winter break.
冬假时完成的
So is he any good?
那他水平如何
No, not yet he isn’t. Well, I’m gonna read it anyway.
不行 还没到出书的水准 嗯 不管怎样我都要读读
Oh, Crabs, come on, will ya?
哦 克拉伯 拜托 好不好
He’s one of my students, for Christ’s sakes.
他是我的学生 看在老天份上
Besides, I’m not sure if he’s, uh… He is.
而且 我不确定他是不是 啊 他是
I’m sure. Take my word for it. I see myself in him.
我确定 听我的没错在他身上我看到了自己的影子
Oh, I’m sure you do, but it’s a little more complicated than that.
我知道你很肯定 可是事情不是那么简单的
Besides, he’s a little scattered right now.
而且 他现在也没法集中精力去应付
He almost did something really stupid tonight.
今晚他就差点干出点蠢事来
I don’t think he needs sexual confusion…
我不觉得他需要性向的困扰
to mix up the stew a little more.
再来给他乱上添乱了
On the contrary, I think it might be just the ticket.
恰恰相反 我认为可能这才是开锁的钥匙
Double Dickel on the rocks.
双份混合迪科尔
“Oola”?
乌拉
Thanks, Oola.
谢谢 乌拉
Cheers.
干杯
Cheers.
干杯
Oh, my goodness. Do you see what I see?
哦 天哪你见我所见了吗
Look there. Let’s go. You first.
瞧那边开编 你先
President of the James Brown Hair Club for Men.
专为男人服务的詹姆斯·布朗美发沙龙的店主
He’s a boxer. A flyweight.
他是个拳击手 次轻量级
No, no, he’s a jockey. His name is Curtis Hard apple.
不 不 他是个骑师他叫柯蒂斯·哈德阿普尔
Not Curtis.
柯蒂斯不好
Okay then, Vernon. Vernon Hardapple.
好吧 那就叫弗农 弗农·哈德阿普尔
The scars are from a horse. He fell during a race. He got trampled.
那些疤是一匹马给弄的 他在一次比赛中摔了下来 被马踩个正着
He’s addicted to painkillers.
然后吃镇痛药吃上了瘾
Yeah, he can’t even pissstanding up anymore.
后来甚至都没法站着撒尿
Lives with his mother. That’s right.
跟老妈住在一起 没错
And he’s got a younger brother who’s a-
他还有个弟弟
Who’s a groom named Claudelle. Yeah.
叫做克劳戴尔 是个马夫 对
His mother blames Vernon for Claudelle’s death.
他的妈妈因为克劳戴尔的死经常责骂弗农
Great!
太棒了
Because-Because-
因为 因为
Because… Because why?
因为 因为什么呢
He was killed when a gangster named Freddy Nostrils…
死于一次事故 当时一个叫弗雷迪·诺思崔尔斯的歹徒
tried to shoot his favorite horse.
想射杀他最心爱的马
Claudelle took the bullet himself.
克劳戴尔用身体挡住了子弹
Vernon, over there…
弗农 就站在一边
was in on the hit.
就是策划者之一

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!