Clement Miniver, don’t you dare smile.
裴尔顿公爵夫人 这太好了
Why, Lady Beldon, this is nice.
您请坐 坐这儿?
Won’t you sit down here?
我想我能猜到你为什么来
I think I can guess why you came.
文已经告诉你他的好消息了 对吗?
Vin’s told you his news, hasn’t he?
是的 米尼弗夫人
Yes, Mrs. Miniver.
我希望你和我们一样高兴
I do hope you’re as pleased as we are.
恐怕不行 他们还是小孩子
I’m afraid not. Why, they’re infants.
卡萝尔才18岁 那男孩还不到20岁
Carol’s 18 and that boy’s not 20.
是的 他们都很年轻
Yes, they are young.
我想我应该坦白地告诉你:
I think I should tell you frankly:
我会劝说卡萝尔再等等
I hope to persuade Carol to wait.
你认为她会改变主意吗?- 坦白说 是的
You think she may change her mind? – Frankly, yes.
或许能有更般配的
Perhaps make a better match.
那样的可能性是有的
There’s always that possibility.
当然 这可能只是做母亲的虚荣…
Of course, it may be just maternal vanity…
…但我不认为卡萝尔能找到比文更好的
…but I don’t think Carol will find anyone nicer than Vin.
我想她不会改变主意 – 那只是你的看法
I don’t believe she’ll change her mind. – It’s a matter of opinion.
她的年龄才是问题 – 裴尔顿家族不是有…
Her age is a matter of fact. – lsn’t that Beldon tradition…
…早婚的传统吗?
…to marry young?
我不明白你的意思 – 我的女儿朱蒂…
I don’t know what you mean. – My daughter Judy…
你还没见过朱蒂
You’ve not met Judy.
有一次 她得写一个关于十字军的作文
She had to write a composition on the Crusades.
她从图书馆借了一本书 拿回家…
She brought a small book home from the library…
…书名是 《狮心王理查一世的朋友》
…called A Friend of King Richard the Lion Hearted.
讲述的是你们祖上的生活 – 是吗 我没看过…
It was a life of an ancestor of yours. – Really, I fail to see…
那是本很棒的书 我自己很感兴趣
It was a fascinating book. I got quite interested in it myself.
书里面有很多裴尔顿家族的故事
It was full of stories of the Beldon family.
我相信 能和我们联姻 你一定很满意
I trust you satisfied yourself we were worthy of the alliance.
其中有一两件事让我非常吃惊
Well, there were one or two things that rather surprised me.
你知道 裴尔顿12 世是被绞死的吗?
Did you know that the 12th Lord Beldon was hanged?
他是被砍头的
He was beheaded.
这种事情发生在最高贵的家族
Such things happen in the best families.
经常是最高贵的家族
Usually in the best families.
事实上 最让我感兴趣的是…
Matter of fact, what interested me most…
…裴尔顿的新娘竟然那么年轻
…was the extreme youth of the Beldon brides.
吉尔伯特·裴尔顿…
This Gilbert Beldon…
… 参加过十字军东征
…who went on the Crusades,
他娶了一个好像叫伊莎贝尔·杜的女孩 当时她才12岁
married an lsabelle Du Something or other, age 12.
我不是到这儿来讨论家族历史的
I did not come here to chatter pedigrees.
我很传统 我相信血统
I’m old fashioned. I believe in breeding.
那些和这事都没有关系
That’s neither here nor there.
那你的看法是 他们太年轻了
Your point is, they’re too young.
我已经说过了 不是吗?
I’ve said so, haven’t l?
现在是战争期间 裴尔顿公爵夫人 而且文是个飞行员
We’re at war, Lady Beldon. And Vin’s a flyer.
那也不是仓促结婚的理由
It’s no excuse for rushing into an ill considered marriage.
可是在战争中 时间对于年轻人 是那么珍贵
But in war, time is so precious to the young people.
您结婚时有多大?- 我?
How old were you when you married? – I?
说假话是没用的…
It’s no use telling fibs…
…因为我调查过您 – 噢 如果你调查过我…
…because I looked you up. – Oh, well, if you’ve looked me up…
…我想你知道我那时16岁
…I suppose you know that I was 16.
16岁 你的父母允许吗?- 这和这件事无关
Sixteen. And did your parents approve? – That’s beside the point.
噢 请原谅 他们允许吗?
Oh, forgive me. Is it?
你没有得到父母的同意 就很早结婚 …
You married very young, without your parents’ consent…
…可是当卡萝尔…
…and yet when Carol….
噢 或许你为此感到后悔了
Oh, but perhaps you regretted it.
我从没后悔过
I did nothing of the kind.
那么 是因为什么?- 我的婚姻只持续了几周时间
Then why? – My marriage lasted a few weeks.
我丈夫在军队里 他在一次行动中死了
My husband was in the army. He was killed in action.
噢 对不起 请原谅我 我不知道这个
Oh, I’m so sorry. Forgive me. I didn’t know.
我从没后悔过 一刻也没有
I never regretted it. Not for one moment.
我们结婚是因为我们知道那种情况可能会发生
We married because we knew that might happen.
但是我不想让卡萝尔再遭受和我一样的痛苦经历
But I don’t want Carol to suffer as I suffered.
难道你不想让她快乐 即使是短暂的…
Don’t you want her to be happy, even for a little while…
…就象你们经历过的那种短暂的快乐?
…the way you were?
我就是怕你这样说
I was afraid you’d say that.
不管你说什么都没有用
Not that it matters what you say.
还有我说的也一样没有用
Or what I say, either.
你明白的 是不是?
You know that, don’t you?
你是说 由卡萝尔来自己选择?
You mean, Carol will go her own way?
她是我的孙女
She’s my granddaughter.
哦 那么你为什么?
Well, then why?
上帝知道
Goodness knows.
我来之前就被打败了
I was beaten before I started.
你并不很在乎 对吗?
You don’t mind terribly, do you?
他是个好孩子
He is a nice boy.
是的
Yes.
现在我知道他的好是从哪儿来的了
I see now where he gets it.
你也很可爱
You’re pretty too.
难怪那个讨厌的波勒要为他的玫瑰取你的名字
No wonder that wretched Ballard named his rose after you.
可并不意味着他会有机会从我这儿夺走奖杯
Not that he’s got a chance of getting the cup from me.
噢 既然我们要成为亲家了…
Well, so long as we’re going to be relatives…
…至少你可以给我倒杯茶吧
…the least you can do is to offer me some tea.
嗯?- 哦 是的 那当然
Well? Oh, yes. Yes, of course.
“于是爱丽丝坐下来 闭上眼睛…
“So Alice sat on with closed eyes…
…仿佛她自己又到了仙境
…and half believed herself again in Wonderland.
小草在风中发出沙沙声…
With the grass rustling in the wind…
…池水在芦苇的舞动下发出潺潺声…
…and the pool rippling to the waving of the reeds…
…羊铃的叮当声 牧羊童的说话声…
…the tinkling sheep bells, the voice of the shepherd boy…
…还有远处 阵阵的牛叫声
…and the lowing of the cattle in the distance.
她想象着
She pictured to herself
她将怎样度过她…
how she would keep through all her riper years…
…简单而开心的童年…
…the simple and loving heart of her childhood…
…怎样把小孩儿聚集在她身边 …
…and how she would gather about her other little children…
…让他们沉浸在奇异的童话世界中
…and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale.
或许还能梦到仙境 ”
Perhaps even with a dream of Wonderland.”
他们都睡着了 – 哦
They’re asleep. – Good.
现在几点了 亲爱的?- 差10分10点
What time is it, darling? – Ten to 1 0.
想喝咖啡吗?
Going to have your coffee now?
不 我想我先抽根烟
No. I think I’ll have a little smoke first.
有什么东西要去房♥间拿吗?
Anything you want from the house?
没有
No, I don’t think so.
我可不想再为你的织针冒生命危险了
I’m not going to risk my life for your knitting needles again.
不会的 我已经拿了
No. I’ve got them with me.
今晚的炮火还不错 是吧?
Fine barrage tonight, isn’t it?
一次比一次好
It gets better each time.
我没听见什么轰炸声 你呢?
I can’t hear any bombs, can you?
没有
No.
我猜他们保住机场了
I suppose they’re saving them for the aerodrome again.
是的
Yes.
还有郡医院
And the county hospital.

Well.
我的衣服拿回来了吗?- 明天
My laundry come back? – Tomorrow.
明天
Tomorrow.
哦 你没拿回来
Oh, no, you don’t.
你应该申请专利 克莱姆
You ought to patent that, Clem.
它让我们不会窒息
It saves us from suffocating.
看到这个新东西了没有?- 没有 这是什么?
See this new idea? – No. What is it?
这是最新的气体♥检♥测器
The latest in gas detectors.
如果有毒气 这个丝网会变绿
If there’s any gas, the gauze turns green.
它能阻止毒气进来吗?
Does it stop the gas from coming in?
如果你看到丝网变色…
If you see this gauze change color…
…抓住这个 砰地关上 就像这样 看到了吗?
…grab this, shut it with a bang like that, see?
然后呢?- 然后我们就被闷死了
Then what happens? – Then we suffocate.
饼干?- 谢谢
Biscuit? – Thank you.
米尼弗夫人最拿手的
Mrs. Miniver’s best.
艾达不擅长煮咖啡 – 她太差了
Ada wasn’t much good at coffee. – She was awful.
不过 她还是个好厨师 因为好厨师都走了
Still, she was a good cook, as good cooks go.
好厨师走了 她也走了
And as good cooks go, she went.
不过 艾达会成为坦克军团食堂里中流砥柱
Still, Ada will be a tower of strength in the tank corps canteen.
近了