天啊,你被逮到过
Oh, God, you’ve been caught.
但你还是我行我素 这是怎样?
Yet still you persist. Look at this.
你可知道我的储藏室满是花瓶
Do you imagine I’ve got?a storeroom just brimming with vases
可以让所有房♥客使用? 再次抱歉,布恩斯太太
for my tenants to use? I apologize again, Mrs. Burns.
现在时局很糟
Times are tough.
花匠需要工作
Florists, they need the work.

Flowers.
希望她知道自己是个幸运女孩
I hope she knows what a lucky girl she is.
走吧! 再见,布恩斯太太
Come on! Goodbye, Mrs. Burns.
晚安 晚安
Good night. Good night.
你的信! 啊!
Your mail. Ah!
谢谢你 还有你的花
Thank you. And your flowers.
喔 花你留下吧,布恩斯太太 可以吗?
Oh! Oh, please, keep the flowers for yourself, Mrs. Burns, won’t you?
喔!谢谢你
Oh! Thank you!
别再打字了,艾许顿小姐 已经十点多了
No more typing now, Miss?Ashton. It’s well after ten.
好的
OK.
那打字声比枪声还可怕
The sound of that clatter, worse than gunfire.
别浪费面包,别人会需要的
从欧克利街转寄过来的
Forwarded from Oakley Street.
“亲爱的艾许顿小姐 我叫特达西·亚当斯
“Dear Miss Ashton, my name is Dawsey Adams.
我住在根西岛上的一座农场里”
I live on my farm on the Island of Guernsey.”
根西?
Guernsey?
“我知道你是因为我有一本旧书
“I know of you because I have an old book,
查尔斯·兰姆的《伊利亚散文随笔》
The Selected Essays of Elia, by Charles Lamb,
书里写有你的名字和地址”
that has your name and address written inside.”
我读过许多次
I’ve read it many times.
占领期间,这里没有太多事可做
There wasn’t much else to do hereduring the occupation,
查尔斯·兰姆的文笔令我发噱
and Charles Lamb made me laugh.
“特别是当他写到烤猪的时候”
“Especially when he wrote about the roast pig.”
我参加一个读书会叫 根西岛文学与土豆皮馅饼俱乐部
I am part of a book club, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society,
我们为了瞒住德军关于烤猪的事 不得以成立的读书会
that we actually formed because we had to keep a roast pig secret from the Germans.
所以,我喜欢查尔斯·兰姆 那便是我写信给你的原因
So, I like Charles Lamb.Which is why I’m writing to you.
现在德军撤退了
The Germans are gone now,
但根西没有书店了
but there are no bookshops left on Guernsey.
我正在找一本查尔斯·兰姆写的 《莎士比亚故事集》
I am looking for a copy of Charles Lamb’s Tales from Shakespeare,
我知道他是写给儿童看的
which I understand he wrote for children.
麻烦你告知我 伦敦书店的地址好吗?
Could you send me the address of a bookshop in London?
希望我没烦扰到你
I hope not to trouble you.
特达西·亚当斯
Dawsey Adams.
亲爱的亚当斯先生
Dear Mr. Adams,
我很高兴你的信转到我手里 还有我的书辗转到你手上
I am so pleased your letter found me and that my book found you.
我当初很舍不得和兰姆先生的书分别 我当时很拮据
It was a sad wrench to part from Mr. Lamb,but I was rather low on funds at the time.
或许书本都暗藏着某种 秘密的归巢直觉
Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instincts in books
让它们能流传到最恰当的读者手中
that brings them to their perfect readers.
若真是如此,那可真令人开心
How delightful if that were true.
《莎士比亚故事集》
来 我要买♥♥
Here. I’ll take it.
我找到了蓝姆的《莎士比亚故事集》 我很乐意致赠给你
I have located Lamb’s Shakespeare,and I’m happy to present it to you,
若你能回答我三个问题
in exchange for the answersto three questions.
为什么烤猪必须保密?
Why did a roast pig have to be kept a secret?
猪怎么让你们组成一个读书会呢?
How could a pig cause you to begin?a literary society?
还有,最重要的是
And, most pressing of all,
什么是土豆皮派?
what is a potato peel pie?
? They lift me high above the moonlit skies??
? Then I tumble out of paradise??
? Oh, darn that dream??
? Darn that onetrack mind of mine??
? It can’t understand that you don’t care ?
? Just to change the mood I’m in ??
对不起
Excuse me.
哇!
Wow!
欢迎
Welcome.
? But it haunts me and it won’t come true ?
? Oh, darn that dream! ?
这件洋装如此美丽动人 为何愁云惨雾呢?
That dress is too lovely to have a cloud parked on your forehead.
你有没有觉得我们好像从一座漫长的黑色隧♥道♥出来一头栽进嘉年华会?
Do you ever feel like we’ve emerged from a long, black tunnel into a carnival?
你不喜欢嘉年华会吗?
Do you not like carnivals?
经过一座漫长的黑色隧♥道♥ 嘉年华会显得很美妙
After a long, black tunnel, a carnival’s wonderful!
我们来跳舞吧
Let’s dance.
我一直在思索你窗外景观的事
You know, I’ve been giving some more thought to your view.
辛德尼找了一堆公♥寓♥要我去看
Sidney’s lined up some more flats for me to see.
就等我安排时间 我突然想到
It’s just making the time. It’s occurred to me
第五大道上有间公♥寓♥ 往外看便是中♥央♥公园
there’s apartments on Fifth Avenue. Look out over Central Park.
还能看到湖
With views of the lake,
整座蓄水湖
the entire reservoir.
还有一座小池塘 可以让小孩子玩模型帆船
There’s even a little pond where kids sail model boats.
我从来没去过纽约
I’ve never been to New York.
若能带你参观我的城市 一定会很好玩
It’ll be really fun to show you my city.
好好考虑一下
Something worth thinking about.
朱丽叶·艾许顿 伦敦,薰衣草巷14号♥
喔,天啊!
Oh!
朱丽叶·艾许顿小姐收 伦敦,薰衣草巷14号♥
亲爱的艾许顿小姐
Dear Miss Ashton,
谢谢你帮我找到一本栏姆先生的 《莎士比亚故事集》
thank you for finding me a copy of Mr. Lamb’s Tales from Shakespeare,
还有你居然把它送给我
and even more for sending it as a gift.
我很乐意回答你的问题 以便还清这笔人情债
I am happy to settle this debt by answering your questions.
烤猪之所以必须保密
A roast pig had to be kept a secret,
是因为德军在1940年 抢走我们所有动物
because the Germans took all our animals away in 1940
以便喂养他们在岛上的士兵
to feed their soldiers on the continent.
这是我的农场!
This is my farm!
站住! 这些是我的猪!
Halt! These are my pigs!
连保留一只也算犯法
It was against the law to keep even one.
是的
Yes.
他们命令我种土豆
They ordered me to grow potatoes.
占领期第一个冬天食物便很短缺
Food was already scarce by the first winter of the occupation.
一顿丰盛餐点仅成回忆 就像被他们拿走的无线电
A proper meal was had only in memory. Like our radios, which they had taken,
还有被他们暂停营运的邮局
and the post, which they had suspended,
以及被他们剪掉的电报电缆
and the telegraph cables that they’d cut.
我们每个人孤立隔绝各自过活
We lived our lives in isolation.
然后有一天
Then one day
带你的屠宰刀到艾蜜莉亚家 伊丽莎白敬上
屠宰刀?
Butcher’s knife?
莫格瑞太太
Mrs. Maugery.
我能效劳什么?
How can I help?
瞧?我就说他会来
See? I told you he’d come.
嘿,老女孩!
Hey, old girl!
虽然是莫格瑞太太偷藏了一只猪
While Mrs. Maugery had hidden the pig away
希望你不会因此看轻我
I hope you don’t think less of me.
但想到烤猪并安排一场晚宴
the idea of roasting it and hosting a dinner
却是伊丽莎白麦肯纳的点子
belonged to Elizabeth McKenna.
我们当时都很饥饿
We were all hungry,
不过是伊丽莎白满足了 我们真正的饥渴
but it was Elizabeth who realized our true starvation
饥渴与人连结
for connection,
饥渴有人作伴
the company of other people,
饥渴有个团体
for fellowship.
艾蜜莉亚?
Amelia?
喔!
Oh!
多谢你邀请我 这是我的荣幸,喔,天啊!
Thank you so much for having me. Oh, it’s a pleasure! Oh, my goodness!
伊索拉普莉比小姐 另一个邻居
Miss Isola Pribby, another neighbor,
提供她自己酿的琴酒,
provided the gin, which she makes herself,
还有其他草本药方和家庭疗药
along with other herbal remedies and home cures.
我们今晚就只有这些
That’s all we’ve got tonight.

Oh!
普莉比小姐 谢谢你
Miss Pribby. Thank you.
干杯 干杯
Cheers. Cheers.
可以帮你保管外套吗?
May I take your coat?
达西!我不知道你来了
Dawsey! Didn’t know you’d be here!
晚上好,艾宾 艾蜜莉亚
Evening, Eben. Ah! Amelia
艾宾 莱姆西是当地的邮局局长 他带来了
Eben Ramsey, our local postmaster, brought
全新创作餐点
An entirely new creation.
土豆皮派
A potato peel pie.
没有奶油,没有面粉
No butter, no flour.
只有土豆
Just potatoes
和土豆皮
and potato peelings.
喔 太棒了 听起来很好吃
Oh! Wonderful.That sounds lovely!
派特墨菲开始接触一点 但他后来便失去热情了
Pat, Pat Murphy, was getting on a bit, and he sort of lost his spark.
我们当时都认识彼此 但不是很熟

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!