We all knew each other, of course, but not well.
我们的共通点是伊丽莎白 在几个小时内
It was Elizabeth we had in common. And, for a few hours,
她把大家凑在一起 帮助我们忘记被占领的事
she brought us together, helped us forget the occupation,
德军,战争和我们失去的一切 让我们唤回我们的人性
the Germans, war, everything we had lost, and to remember our humanity.
结果他发现是她的丈夫
It was for her husband, and he was found
被压在他妻子底下
underneath his wife.
惨了! 他或许是自然原因断气
Oh, no! Maybe he died of natural causes,
但我觉得应该是喝了药酒死的
but it was probably by tincture! Really?
站住!
Stop!
你们的读书会叫什么名字?
What is the name of your club?
在那之后,我们别无选择
After that, we had no choice
只好真的成立 根西岛文学与土豆皮馅饼俱乐部
but to make the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society real.
古董书籍 注意!
罕见珍藏书
诗集
无所谓,拿就是了
It doesn’t matter. Just take it.
好的!拿那本
Yes! Take that!
只要你能找到的!
Whatever you can find.
《兰姆文献 查尔斯·兰姆散文集》
我便是这么知道查尔斯·兰姆的
And this is how I came to know Charles Lamb.
朱丽叶·艾许顿 伦敦,欧克利街202号♥
别现在读啊!
Don’t read it now!
《诺桑觉寺》 珍奥斯汀著作
好了!咱们走,快点!
OK. Let’s go, go, go, go!
最后一块木头
The last log.
这是安东尼特洛勒普写的 特洛勒普!
This one by Anthony Trollope. Trollope!
有人想看吗? 有
Anyone interested? Yeah.
好,那让达西 我不想看那本
Well, let Dawsey I wouldn’t want to read that.
玛丽雪莱的《科学怪人》 这里有一本叶慈的书
Good old Mary Shelley. Oh, here’s one. Yeats, W.B. Yeats.
叶慈 我不要
W.B. Yeats. Not for me.
珍奥斯汀知道
Jane Austen knew
自己在说什么 她说得非常得体
whereof she spoke, and she spoke most elegantly.
“礼数是维系社会的元素”
“Manners is what holds a society together.”
然后再加上可靠的邮政服务
That, and a reliable postal service.
“基本上,礼貌是对别人的一种尊重关心
“At bottom, propriety is concern for other people.
当礼貌被扬弃时
When that goes out the window,
地狱之门便就此敞开
the gates of hell are shortly opened,
无知者因而称王”
and ignorance is king.”
嘘!
Shh!
监察员后来再也没出现过
The monitor never returned.
星期五晚上的读书会 成了我们的避难所
Our Friday night book club became a refuge to us.
一份私有的自♥由♥感受周遭世界 逐渐变得越来越黑暗
A private freedom to feel the world growing darker all around you,
但只需要一盏蜡烛 便可看见新世界逐渐展开
but need only a candle to see new worlds unfold.
那便是我们成立社团的原因
That is what we found in our society.
但我不需告诉你这道理
But I don’t need to tell you this.
你早已知道书本的功效
You already know what books can do.
那便是我们共享的东西
That’s something we share
即便我们的生活都截然不同
different as our lives may be.
亲爱的亚当斯先生
Dear Mr.Adams,
书本对我而言也是一个避难所
books have been a refuge for me too.
当我失去父母时 我在书本世界中打造我的家
When I lost my parents, it was the world of books where I made my home.
书本拯救了我,一点都没错
They saved me. Absolutely.
请恕我不请自来
I beg your forgiveness in advance in inviting myself,
但我必须去会见你们的社团
but I must come and meet your society.
我很希望你们能允许我 参与你们的聚会
I so hope that you might allow me to sit in on your meeting
以便了解更多关于你们的故事
and to learn more of your story.
要怪就怪查尔斯·兰姆 让我自认为
Let’s lay the blame at Charles Lamb’s feet in allowing me to think
我或许会受到欢迎
I might be welcome at all.
朱丽叶·艾许顿敬上
Yours sincerely,Juliet Ashton.
又及:我一开始不仅是读者 也是个作者 –《伊兹·毕克史戴夫参战》
P.S. While I am a reader first, I am also a writer.
我献上本书作为我将前来 探视你们的和平证明
I offer this as proof that I come to you in peace.
《安妮·伯朗特的一生》 朱丽叶·艾许顿著作
辛德尼!辛德尼! 等一下 等等
Sidney! Sidney! Just, just, just Hold on one second.
狄更斯 毕太太!谢谢你
Dickens, is that Mrs. B! Thank you.
朱丽叶,你不能去根西岛 参加读书会
Juliet, you cannot t go to a book club meeting on the Island of Guernsey.
我要放手一搏 他们肯让我加入
It’s a leap of faith they’ll even let me in!
你这星期五要去剑桥朗读
You’re reading in Cambridge Friday.
但这读书会星期五聚会 我等不及了
But this society, they meet on a Friday. I can’t wait.
我只不过去一个周末 星期一就回来
I’ll only be gone the weekend, back Monday.
爱丁堡 你星期一得去爱丁堡!
Edinburgh. You’re in Edinburgh Monday!
我真的不懂我们干嘛给你安排行程 我真的搞不懂!
I honestly don’t know why we provide you with an itinerary. I don’t. I just don’t.
这是你的错 是你自己跟时报同意的
Well, this is your fault! You said yes to The Times.
你说什么?我的错?
Excuse me, my fault?
辛德尼 书本
Sidney, what books, what
阅读对这些人的影响
reading did for these people,
我终于有严肃的题材可以写了
finally I’ll have something serious to write.

Hmm.
你不是故意扯这件事 以便逃避到剑桥朗读伊兹吧?
This wouldn’t be just to get out of reading Izzy in Cambridge, would it?
喔!
Oh!
你该不
You’re not
你该不是在逃避吧?
You’re not running away?
哈哈!你也太搞笑了
Ha ha ha! You’re too funny!
反正我觉得马克也不可能让你太得逞
Well, I can’t imagine Mark would let you get very far, anyway.
“让我来”
“Let me!”
你东西都带齐了?
You have everything you need?
威茂斯码头 邮船
是的
Yes, I do.
再说一次
Say that again.
怎样?我都带齐了 马克,只是英吉利海峡
What? I have everything. Mark, it’s the English Channel,
又不是中国海
not the China Seas.
说“我愿意”
Say, “I do.”
或简单一句:“好”
Or simply say “yes.”
什么?
What?
朱丽叶
Juliet
让我给你你心目中完美的家
let me give you your perfect home.
我知道我完美的家是和你在一起 不管是在这里或纽约,或
I already know mine’s with you. Whether it’s here, or New York, or
北极
the North Pole.
我想要一起打造一个家,我们的家
I want to make that home together. Ours.
说你愿意嫁给我,朱丽叶
Say you’ll marry me, Juliet.
愿意!
Yes!
我知道我们才交往六个月 但这六个月来很幸福
I know we’ve only been together?for six months, but they’ve been happy six
我愿意!
Yes!
我愿意! 好的!
Yes! Yes?
恭喜!
Congratulations!
喔,天啊!
Oh, my God!
早安
Morning.
皇冠饭店
我再去扛一份
I’ll get another load.
对不起
Excuse me.
我要找一个下榻处
I was looking for a place to stay.

Um
彼得!小心!
Peter! Watch it!
抱歉
Sorry.
去邮局问看看 他们应该能帮你
Try at the post office. They should be able to help you out.
好的 注意!
Right. Heads up!
不好意思!
Sorry below.
谢谢你,我想吧
Thank you. I think.
人♥兽♥之间
挂号♥信,电报
谢谢你
Thank you.
哈喽 是谁?
Oh, hello. Who is it?
一位小姐 她想干吗?
It’s a miss. What’s she want?
请问你有何贵干?
Have I had a chance to ask?
我是从皇冠饭店那边过来的
I was sent from the Crown Hotel.
喔,他们关门了 屋顶破了
Oh, they’re closed. Roof’s gone.
是的,我知道
Yes, I know.
那边有个男人说 你们或许们可以帮忙
A man over there said that you might be able to help with a
他会从里面出来吗?
Does he come out from behind there?
目前没有太多住宿选择
Not a lot of options at the moment, places to stay.
其中少数之一是夏绿蒂史亭普那里
Least of them is with Charlotte Stimple.
她有时会出租♥房♥♥间
She lets rooms, sometimes.
房♥子挺干净的
Keeps a clean house.
伊莱可以带你过去,如果你要的话
Eli can take you up there, if you like.
我不想麻烦他特别跑一趟
Oh, I wouldn’t want him to have to make a special trip.
反正他也必须去送递邮件
Well, he has mail to deliver anyway.

Ah.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!