(音乐停)
(Music ends)
肯迪先生?
Mr Candy?
(谈话笑声)
(Chatter and laughter)
93号♥?哦,接下来是愤怒之歌♥
93? Oh, it’s a song all the rage just now. “Die Muhle Ging Rund Und Rund”.
“磨坊转啊转”,肯迪先生
“The Mill Went Round And Round”, Mr Candy.
(乐队演奏一曲华尔兹)
Band plays a waltz
亨特小姐,恐怕我是以虚伪借口来这见你
Miss Hunter, I’m afraid I’ve met you here under false pretences.
真的?为什么
Indeed? Why?
政♥治♥复杂性
There are political complications.
威尔士王子正来柏林,他应邀参加皇帝的生日宴会
The Prince of Wales is coming to Berlin. He’s invited to the Kaiser’s birthday party.
– 一个善意的来访 – 我知道,报纸上有
– A goodwill visit and all that sort of thing. – I know. It was in the papers.
亨特小姐,我认识我们大使♥馆♥的一个人,我们曾一起上学
You see, Miss Hunter, I know a chap at our Embassy here. We were at school together.
他的名字是菲茨罗伊,我们以前叫他娃娃脸
His name’s Fitzroy. Only, we used to call him “Baby-Face”.
威尔士王子和你的娃娃脸有什么联♥系♥?
But how are the Prince of Wales and your friend “Baby-Face” connected?
你知道
Well, you see…
知道我要来,他几乎大为烦恼
..he nearly had a fit when he knew why I’d come.
我指娃娃脸
Baby-Face, I mean.
他拉我进去见二等秘书,他也大为烦恼
He lugged me in to see the Second Secretary and he nearly had a fit too.
可能的丑闻
The possible scandal, you know.
你想暗示点什么吗,肯迪先生?
Are you coming to a point, Mr Candy?
是的,就是我得答应不做任何事
Yes, the point is that I had to promise to do nothing.
我也去为你担♥保♥
And I went bail for you, too.

Oh.
显然,这是为了谨慎外交
Apparently, it’s a matter for careful… careful diplomacy.
你能明白他们的意思
You can see what they mean.
当然
Yes, of course.
我对政♥治♥一窍不通,我也为不受欢迎大伤脑筋
I know nothing about politics. I rather stuck my head in where I wasn’t wanted.
– 我可能会惹上最糟糕的麻烦 – 麻烦,肯迪先生?
– I could get into the most awful trouble. – Trouble, Mr Candy?
我是个军人,你知道的
Well, I’m a soldier. You know that.
早上我认为你是军人,还是你午饭后加入了军队
I thought you were a soldier this morning. Or have you joined the Army since luncheon?
这是冯勒巫曼,这是赫夫曼
Meet Meister von Reumann. Meet Meister Hoffmann.
– 同学们 – 先生们
– Meine Kommilitonen. – Meine Herren.
– 桌子坐满了 – 谁的桌子?
– The table’s filling up. – Whose table?
不记得“固定餐桌”了吗?考尼茨要坐的地方
Don’t you remember the Stammtisch? It’s where Kaunitz will sit.
一个女孩对政♥治♥如此感兴趣,有点令人惊愕
You know, it’s a bit staggering to see a girl take such an interest in politics.
– 政♥治♥? – 你还能怎么称呼?
– Politics? – Well, what else can you call it?
德国宣传反对英国,对立的宣传
German propaganda against England. Counter-propaganda.
那不就是政♥治♥吗?
That’s politics, isn’t it?
对于我不是,对于很多人都不是
Not for me, nor for a great many people.
肯迪先生,柏林的大使♥馆♥,向伦敦的外交办公室汇报
You see, Mr Candy, when our Embassy in Berlin reports to the Foreign Office in London
“德国人对于布尔人问题的态度有轻微变化”
that “a slight change of attitude is visible in the German nationals towards the Boer question”,
我失去了立场,正在回到家庭的怀抱
I have to report home that I have lost my position and am returning to the bosom of my family.
我想他们对此会很不高兴
I suppose they’d be rather sick about it.
– 他们会张开双臂欢迎我 – 我也不责怪他们
– They will welcome me with open arms. – I don’t blame them, either.
我家反对我来柏林
No, you see, my family were opposed to my coming to Berlin.
– 他们说属于年轻女孩的地方是家里 – 没错
– They said the place for a young girl is home. – Quite so.
– 为什么? – 什么意思?
– Why? – What do you mean, why?
你怎么知道年轻女孩该属于什么地方,你是女孩吗?
How do you know what is the best place for a young girl? Are you a girl?
– 你有女儿吗? – 我说
– Have you any daughters? – I say!
你们男人打仗时,我们女人在思考
While you men have been fighting, we women have been thinking.
想想自己,女人有什么工作可做?
Think for yourself, Mr Candy. What careers are there open to a woman?
– 她可以结婚 – 我想说
– She can get married. – I was just going to say…
假设她不想结婚?她可以做个家庭教师
Supposing she doesn’t want to get married? She can go and be a governess.
但一个家庭教师知道什么呢,肯迪先生?没有,我保证
But what does a governess know, Mr Candy? Nothing, I assure you.
那她又可以教给孩子什么呢?
Then what can she teach the children in her charge?
很少,除了良好的礼仪,如果她自己有
Very little, except good manners, if she herself has good manners.
– 良好的礼仪很重要 – 你在南非学的吗?
– Good manners are important. – Did you learn that in South Africa?
我哥哥说良好礼仪的代价是马赫斯方丹,斯托姆贝格,科伦索
#指布尔战争中,英军在三地的惨败
My brothers told me that good manners cost us Magerfontein, Stormberg and Colenso.
六千人战死,二万人受伤
6,000 men killed and 20,000 wounded
两年战争
and two years of war,
如果有点常识和不好的习俗,就不会有战争
when with a little common sense and bad manners, there would have been no war at all.
(华尔兹结束)
(Waltz ends)
(鼓掌)
(Applause)
我不懂的是,你为什么要教德国小孩子礼仪?
The one thing I don’t understand is why you should have to teach German children manners.
– 有足够的英语… – 如果你保证不笑,我就告诉你
– There are plenty of English… – I’ll tell you, if you promise not to laugh.
– 我保证不笑 – 我唯一的资产就是熟练掌握英语
– I promise. – My only asset is a fluent command of English.

Hear, hear!
在英国教授英语就像运煤去纽卡斯尔,工资很差
To teach English in England is to carry coals to Newcastle, and it’s ill-paid.
我决定留在德国,我的英语更值钱
I decided to obtain a post in Germany, where my English would command a premium,
而且,学好了德语,回到英国…
and, having learnt German, to return to England…
嗯,我会很值钱!
Well, I’ll be sugared!
– 那是他吗? – 是他,那只臭鼬
– That is he? – It’s him, all right, the little skunk.
– 我们该走了吗? – 走?
– Well, shall we go? – Go?
对,我想是
Oh, yes, I suppose so.
历史会记住,这场从霍亨索伦咖啡厅的大撤退
History will remember this as the great retreat from the Cafe Hohenzollern.
等等
Just a second, please.
这里,你能让乐队演奏141号♥吗?
Here we are. Can you get the orchestra to play 141?
当然可以,叫个服务生来
Why, yes, of course. Call a waiter.
服务生
Herr Ober!
– 这是米尼翁,“我是泰坦妮娅”,你真的喜欢? – 等会再解释
– It’s Mignon, “I Am Titania”. Do you really like it? – I’ll explain later.
服务生
Herr Ober!
– 可以演奏141号♥吗? – 可以
– Kann die Kapelle 141 spielen? – Aber naturlich.
(下面笑声)
(Laughter below)
(德语)卡佩尔迈斯特先生
Herr Kapellmeister,
(德语)那边的桌子想点米尼翁曲子
der Tisch dadruben wunscht die Mignon.
(德语)戴帽子的女士
Die Dame mit dem Hut.
考尼茨以前是我们碉堡里的犯人
Kaunitz was a prisoner in our blockhouse.
当时那里的留声机上就只有这一支曲子
This was the only record we had on our phonograph.
我想看看他还记不记得
I want to see if he remembers it.
(德语)所以,考尼茨,告诉我
Also, Kaunitz, erzahlen Sie mal.
(德语)所以,先生们,小英国人…
Also, meine Herren, die kleinen Englander…
(音乐)“我是泰坦妮娅”
I Am Titania
碰到他的痛处了
Touched him on the raw, all right.
(德语)我受不了这音乐
Diese Musik kann ich nicht leiden.
(德语)还是这首音乐!
Wieder diese Musik!
(德语)服务生
Herr Ober!
他在叫服务生
He’s calling the waiter.
(德语)服务生
Herr Ober!
(德语)我要你别再演奏那个米尼翁了
Sie sollen aufhoren, diese Mignon zu spielen.
– 他要打赏管弦乐团吗? – 不是用钱,而是用啤酒
– Is he trying to bribe the orchestra? – Not with money. Beer.
(德语)- 赏给乐团的啤酒 – 好的!
– Bier fur das Orchester. – Jawohl!
(德语)卡佩尔迈斯特先生,打扰一下
Herr Kapellmeister, bitte, bitte.
(德语)别再演奏这个米尼翁了
Horen Sie auf, diese Mignon zu spielen.
(德语)- 为什么? – 下面的那桌
– Warum das? – Die Unteren.
(德语)他们不想听这个,这让他们感到不安
Die wunschen es nicht zu horen. Es geht den auf die Nerven.
考尼茨的第一回合
Round one to Kaunitz.
(德语)干杯,先生们,干杯!
Prost, meine Herren. Prost!
(德语)干杯!
Prost!
援军到了
Reinforcements are coming.
(德语)卡佩尔迈斯特先生,给乐团的啤酒
Herr Kapellmeister, Bier fur das Orchester.
(德语)棒极了
Das ist grobartig.
(德语)啤酒
Bier.
(德语)来自那边的那张桌子
Von dem Tisch dadruben.
(音乐)“我是泰坦妮娅”
I Am Titania
(德语)- 服务生! – 是的,考尼茨先生?
– Herr Ober! – Jawohl, Herr Kaunitz?
(德语)- 我打赏了他们所有人! – 我也帮上面的人打赏了他们
– Ich habe alle bestochen! – Ich habe es also getan. Fur die da oben.
(德语)- 这就是为什么那位绅士要点米尼翁 – 他真是厚颜无♥耻♥
– Darum hat ein Herr die Mignon gewunscht. – Er hat eine verdammte Frechheit.
他上来了
He’s coming up.
– 我们走吧,肯迪先生 – 等会儿
– Let us go, Mr Candy. – A bit late now.
– 希望他没有看到你 – 我倒希望他看到了
– I hope he doesn’t see you. – I hope he does.
你好,考尼茨
Hello, Kaunitz.
(德语)真是个惊喜,肯迪先生
Das ist ja eine schone Uberraschung, Herr Candy.
– 行了,考尼茨,你会说英语的 – 是的
– Come on, Kaunitz. You speak English. – I do.
但我更喜欢说德语
But I prefer German.
(德语)女士们,先生们!
Meine Damen und Herren!
– 停下来,我和一位女士在一起 – 你该早就想到的
– Stop it, Kaunitz. I’m with a lady. – You should have thought of that earlier.
(德语)- 让我… – 住手,考尼茨
– Erlauben Sie mir… – Stop it, Kaunitz.
– 放开你的… – 好了,别失态
– Take off your… – Come on. Be a good lad.
(德语)同志们!
Kameraden!
回到你的桌子去

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!