你应该记得那音乐的调子
You know how that goes.
我们以前从没见过这样的场景
We’d never seen anything like this in our lives.
艾迪塔会关掉灯
But Editta would turn off all the lights,
在月光下开始跳舞
and on the night of a full moon…
随着月光洒下来
the moon would come through those skylights…
艾迪塔就跳着天鹅湖的舞蹈走了出来
Editta would come out and do the dying swan.
那场景我至今印象深刻
We were all mesmerized by that.
像艾迪塔·谢尔曼这样的人…
Someone like Editta Sherman…
她几乎嫁给了她的工作室和她的作品
She’s married to the studio and her craft,
这是她生活的全部
and that’s her life.
把她赶出这栋楼…
And to extract her out of this environment is…
我们很有负罪感…因为
That feels criminal to me because
这就是她这样的艺术家工作和生活的地方
she’s an artist who works in this environment,
正是在这样的环境里 她才做出了那些作品
and it’s because of this environment she does what she does.
对于这栋楼里的很多艺术家租客 他们都是这样的
And it’s true of a lot of the other tenants.
让他们离开这里 就好像剥夺走了他们生活中的一部分
So… to sort of displace them at this stage in their lives,
如果让他们搬去那些普通的公♥寓♥
into some sort of anonymous apartment is just, you know, I think,
那大概也会毁掉他们的艺术创作
would be the beginning of the end for a lot of these tenants.
你会对搬走的事情感到难过么
Is it sad for you?
他们要给我们安置新的住所…
They’re going to relocate us in the neighborhood.
你就一点都不担心么…
So you’re not worried…
那会是带浴室和厨房♥的新公♥寓♥
It’ll be an apartment with a kitchen and a bathroom.
谁需要浴室和厨房♥
Who the hell wants a kitchen and a bathroom?
那只是让我多了一些需要打扫的房♥间
Mmm. Just more rooms to clean.
你能不能帮我看一下…
Can you see one of these fancy apartment houses…
那些新的公♥寓♥里有没有地方摆下我的这些文件柜
where all they move in are filing cabinets?
我不会太担心…这样我会更热衷于呆在街上去拍照
I’m not gonna worry. I have more fun going out and photographing.
我觉得这个问题会暂时困扰我…但然后会怎样
I suppose it’ll bother me at the time, but so what?
这确实会变得不方便
Inconvenient but otherwise…
但是你不该让这些无谓的事情打断你的生活
You can’t interrupt your life with that nonsense.
-维罗妮卡 -比尔 抱一下
-Look at Veronica! -Bill, a hug.
你好孩子
Hello child. My…
-这些钻石可是越来越大了 -是么
-The diamonds have gotten bigger. -Right?
当然
And, of course…
他们现在在Club Monaco展示
Now that they make them at Club Monaco,
那些钻石可是越来越大了
they get bigger and bigger.
当然 我相信那都是真的钻石
And, of course, they’re all real.
是的 是的
Yes. Absolutely.
在一部分人看来
In someone’s mind.
比尔 这位在你正前方的男士是
Bill, this gentleman here in the velvet blazer straight ahead of you…
大卫·科氏 我们今晚将给他颁奖
is David Koch, who we’re honoring tonight.
我知道他
Oh, I know him, yeah.
比尔 我从没经历过这样的事
I’ve never had an experience like this Bill.
-我完全不知道是什么样的状况了 -没事 没事
-I’m kind of over the moon about it, you know? -Good. Good.
-我脑子里有点乱 -这是你应得的
-Enjoy it. My head is spinning. -Well, you should be.
“晚间时刻”的活动
“Evening Hours”documents ,
其实就是些简单的派对
perhaps to some, simply parties…
去参加这些派对的人们 真正的目的是…
and the people who go to them, but really, what it’s about…
通过这些活动来接触到这城市里更多有趣的人
are the amazing connections people have in this city…
认识新的朋友 很多的组织机构
with each other, with the various organizations…
去见一些他们认为重要的 或是崇拜的人
they think are important, with the people who they honor,
比尔对这样的活动已经很熟悉了
and Bill really chronicles that.
这是科洛·阿米蒂奇
This is Karole Armitage.
她在纽约经营着一家舞蹈公♥司♥
She has a dance company in New York.
我有个活动 你要去帮我拍照
You have to come take pictures of my gala.
我们需要你
We need you.
-记得提醒我 或者给我几张明信片提醒 -我会的
-Remind me. Have someone at your place send a postcard. -Okay, I will.
别光说 记得真的给我寄
No formality. Just send me something in the mail.
这些是我一周中没法赴的约
These are all the ones I couldn’t get to last week.
你不可能去参加这每一项活动…
You know, you simply can’t get involved in all of these things. It’s…
我试过这样做
I used to try.
我可能会去这个 也不一定
This one I might go to, but I just don’t know.
他们的安保措施很差
The security could be so awful.
首先 我选择慈善活动
First, I select a charity that will do the most good.
我从不看来宾名单 但总会有人打电♥话♥跟你说
Never looking at a guest list. As a matter of fact, people call up and say,
“谁谁谁会来参加这个活动”
“Well, this one’s coming or that one. ”
我说 不用告诉我这些
I say, “Don’t bother even telling me,
也不要给我寄来宾名单 因为我对此毫无兴趣
and don’t bother sending a guest list ’cause I’m not interested. ”
瑞典皇后 约旦皇后…
“The Queen of Sweden, the Queen of Jordan,
皇家…什么什么殿下
their Royal Highnesses”…
好多这样的
and, uh, blah, blah, blah, blah.
我关心的是这些慈善活动具体是做什么
I’m interested in what the charity does,
这才是《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》关心的要点
and that’s why the Times is there.
这才是正确的选择方法
It really is that way.
有些人不理解 他们觉得我做的是一个社会类专栏
People find it hard to believe. They think it’s a society column.
但不仅仅是这样
It’s not at all.
才不是这样
It never was meant to be.
有个已经停刊的杂♥志♥
There was a magazine. It’s now deceased.
做过一♥期♥的标题
They had a headline…
是我见过的最棒的杂♥志♥标题
The best magazine title I’ve ever seen.
你昨晚出去了
“You went out last night.
没有人把这记录下来
Nobody wrote about it.
那你真的存在么
Do you exist?”
那是…
Now that’s…
其实很多人都带着这种心态
That’s the frame of mind that a lot of people got caught up in.
你们帮我把你们的名字写下来
You kids print your names for me.
这会登在哪儿 这些照片登在哪儿
Where’s it gonna be? Where’s our picture gonna be?
他是《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的
He’s New York Times. Oh.
《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》会有一个小的版面登出来
The Times have a little benefit page. It’s small stuff.
-我们会等在报纸上 -这不重要
-We gotta be in it. -Unimportant.
因为我们穿的好看
We’re pretty good-looking people.
是的 我也这么认为
Yeah. That’s what I thought.
纽约是一个很在意身份地位的城市
New York is about status.
整个城市都是这样的
That’s all it’s about.
实话说 有时候住在这个城市是不舒服的…
There is… This is not a pleasant city to live in,
当你身边有很多
aside from the fact that there are a lot of people,
有野心的人
uh, here who are ambitious.
纽约人都很爱出风头
People are very pushy socially in New York,
他们不会举个旗子来标明自己
but they don’t wave a flag.
他们只需要去对地方
They just move in the right direction.
如果被比尔的相机拍下来
The right direction
就是证明自己身份的一种方式
is toward Bill Cunningham’s camera.
但我相信比尔从来不把自己当做一个
I don’t think that Bill considers himself
界定别人身份地位的标准
a social arbiter.
他和这些人
I really don’t consider him as being someone
绝不是一类人
who gets a lift out of being with these people.
好 就这样
Yeah, that’s it! Yeah.
这样很好
That’s… That’s the way.
这个姿势很好
Yeah, it’s a nice expression.
不会显得不自然
None of this stiff stuff.
很幸运 这张拍这么好
You caught us napping. I get that with the benefactors up there.
-你今天怎么样 -我很好
-How you doing today there? -Okay, kid.
后面那里有些鱼
There’s a little fish in the back.
需要他们给你拿一些鱼过来么
Would they bring you some fish over to the other side?
-不 我什么都不要 -你确定么
-Oh, no. I don’t want anything. -Are you sure?
是的 我光看就能填饱自己了
Oh, yeah. I eat with my eyes.
我明白…但你也要保证体力
Yeah, I know, but you need to keep your body up too.
你不需要我帮你盛一小盘么
Hmm? You won’t let me get you a little plate?
不不…不用了玛丽
Oh, no. No, thank you, Mary.
没人会注意到的
Nobody would see you.
真的不需要了 好吧
No. Thank you, child. Okay.
很多人会觉得奇怪…
A lot of people think it’s a little peculiar…
在这些活动上 我从来不吃也不喝
that I never have a drink or something like that,
但我是这么想的
but I made up my mind…
我的关注点在那些女士的着装
Oh, at Women’s Wear.
他们总是给我端来美酒和美食
People were always wining and dining you,
但我对这些真的不感兴趣
and I thought, “Well, I’m not into that.”
我来参加这些活动只是为了《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》的报道
I’m there just to report for the Times.
我不是来吃吃喝喝的
I’m not there to be wined and dined,
我不是替《纽♥约♥时♥报♥》说话
and I certainly wouldn’t compromise the Times,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!