– 因为他绑♥架♥了她 – 是的
– Because he kidnapped her? – Yes. Yes.
警方在哪里找到了里瓦先生和黛安
And where did the police find young Mr. Riva and Diane?
我说过了 是在佛蒙特
I told you. Vermont.
是佛蒙特的斯托吧
Stowe, Vermont. Wasn’t it?
一个旅游小镇
A resort town.
斯托山
Stowe Mountain.
他带她去滑雪
He took her skiing.
绑♥架♥者一般不会
You see, kidnappers don’t usually
带被绑♥架♥人去滑雪
take their victims skiing.
但保罗是这么做的
But this is what Paul did…
因为他和黛安在相爱
because he and Diane were in love.

No.
他们回来后
And when they returned,
你指控他绑♥架♥
you pressed kidnapping charges.
你起诉了他父母
You filed a lawsuit against his parents…
直到保罗不再跟黛安打电♥话♥了
until Paul stopped calling Diane.
– 是不是 – 是的
– Didn’t you? – Yes.
后来黛安跟保罗就再也没有来往了
And Diane never heard from or saw Paul Riva again.
是不是
Did she?
据我所知没有
Not to my knowledge.
她对此反应如何
And how did she take it?
她消沉了一段时间
She was upset for a while.
心不在焉
She lost focus.
心不在焉
She lost focus.
阿德勒夫人 1999年3月
Mrs. Adler, in March of 1999…
黛安是不是试图自杀过
didn’t Diane Adler attempt to take her own life?
那次是小事 没什么要紧的
This episode was minor. It was nothing.
我手上拿着医院的记录
I have the hospital report in my hand.
那没什么要紧的
It was nothing.
黛安跟普通人不一样
Diane was not like regular people.
她是特殊的人
She was extraordinary.
而特殊的人
And extraordinary people
会有一些特别的障碍和需求
come with singular issues and needs.
你根本不知道她的才能有多强
You have no idea the capability she possessed.
亿里挑一的人才
One in a billion.
难道你会说 不要这些才能了
And you would say, “Fine, let’s throw that away…
任由为我家修剪草坪的男孩勾引她吧
“so the boy who cuts our yard can make a sexual conquest.”
在你做决定之前
Maybe before you make that decision,
站在我的角度想想
you stand in my shoes.
我的责任远不只是
I had responsibilities which went beyond
一个母亲的责任
the mother-daughter relationship.
为人类带来进步的
The greatest discoveries
那些最伟大的发现
which have improved life on this planet…
都是出自极为罕见的人才
have come from minds rarer than radium.
没有他们的话 人类依然会茹毛饮血
Without them, we’d still be crawling in mud.
告诉你 律师
And for your information, counselor…
在这男孩的事结束一年之后
a year after this incident with this boy…
黛安感谢了我对她的干涉
Diane thanked me for my intervention.
她明白她犯了个错误 并感谢了我
She realized she’d made a mistake and she thanked me.
黛安明白她有责任
You see, Diane understood she was accountable
去发挥自己的天赋
for the gift she’d been given.
她也没有逃避
And she didn’t shy from it.
如果她今天能在法庭上
And I think, if she were here today, Mr. Attorney…
她会驳斥你毫无根据的影射
she would refute your baseless insinuations…
说她放弃远大的前程
that she would give up her brilliant future
选择自杀
and take her own life…
只因为她妈妈没给她买♥♥一辆红色童车
just because Mommy didn’t get her a little red wagon.
我没问题了
No more questions.
阿德勒先生
Mr. Adler…
你目前在哪里工作
where are you currently employed?
我修船
I repair boats.
是吗 在哪个船坞
Oh, really? At which marina?
不是船坞 我是打零工的
I don’t work at a marina. I freelance.
那么你没有医疗保险
So, safe to say, no health insurance.
没有
No.
你姐姐自杀之前大约一周
About a week before your sister took her life…
你是做什么职业的
what were you doing for a living then?
我是老师
I was a teacher.
这话太谦虚了吧
You’re being modest, aren’t you?
你当时是波士顿大学的教授
You were a professor at Boston University…
是吗
isn’t that right?
是的 是助理教授
Yes, well, Assistant Professor.
你教什么
And what’d you teach?
哲学
Philosophy.
事实和逻辑 这方面内容的吧
Truth and logic. That sort of thing.
你的律师说你收养玛丽
Your attorney said that the primary reason…
主要原因是你姐姐
that you took Mary is because it was what your sister…
希望你这么做 这是事实吗
would have wanted you to do. Is that the truth?
是的
Yes.
那么黛安以前来过Pinellas县
So Diane had visited Pinellas County before?
没有
No.
她说过希望女儿
Indicated she wanted her daughter
搬到这里吗
uprooted and moved here?
– 没有 – 没有
– No. – No.
那么是你决定把玛丽带到这里 是不是
So, you decided to bring Mary here, didn’t you?
黛安对你在波士顿大学的
Did Diane have a problem
医疗保险有异议吗
with your health plan at Boston University?
据我所知没有
Not to my knowledge.
你觉得她会希望女儿
Do you think she would want her daughter
有医疗保险吗
to have access to healthcare?
当然
Of course.
那么玛丽生病的时候你怎么办
So what do you do, when little Mary gets sick?
去给医生修船吗
You repair a doctor’s boat?
– 我反对 – 反对有效
– Objection. – Sustained.
玛丽被认为是
Mary has been identified…
数学天才
as a math prodigy.
但在你的监护下 她接受的正规数学教育
But her formal math education under your care…
只是一年级水平 对吗
she’s learning at the first grade level, isn’t she?
是的
Yes.
而你拒绝了橡树学校的奖学金
And you turned down a scholarship at the Oaks…
一所专门教育天才儿童的学校
a school specializing in the education of gifted children?
是的
Yes.
黛安对此会同意吗
And Diane, she’d be fine with that?
我没法说
I couldn’t say.
阿德勒夫人给玛丽电脑前
Prior to Mrs. Adler giving her one,
她自己有电脑吗
did Mary have a computer?
她用我的电脑
She used mine.
阿德勒先生 黛安的女儿有自己的卧室吗
Mr. Adler, does Diane’s daughter have her own bedroom?
没有
No.
她睡的床是不是你
Does she sleep in a bed that you bought…
– 从二手店买♥♥的 – 是的
– in a secondhand shop? – Yes.
那么事实就是 阿德勒先生
So, the truth is, Mr. Adler,
你搬到这里不是因为
that you didn’t come down here
你姐姐希望你搬来
because your sister wanted you to…
也不是因为
and you certainly didn’t come here
这是为了玛丽着想
because it was good for Mary.
不 是出于私人感情
No, it was personal.
黛安是明星 而你不是
Diane was a star. You weren’t.
黛安受人关注 而你没有
Diane got the attention. You didn’t.
这些年来 你变得易怒
And over the years, you got angry.
后来有了玛丽
And here comes Mary.
真是报复的好机会
What a great way to get even.
你把那小女孩
You’ve uprooted that little girl
带到这里 只有一个原因
and brought her here for one reason only.
是为了伤害你母亲
To do harm to your mother.
你把姐姐的死怪在她身上
You blamed her for your sister.
我没有
No, I don’t.
玛丽只是你用来报复的工具 是吗
And Mary to you is just a pawn in all this. Isn’t she?
黛安希望玛丽
Diane wanted Mary…
做个普通孩子
to be a kid.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!