Ah, yes. Miss Dalrymple runs a settlement house in the East End.
筹款 可惜到现在也没筹到
Begging for money, unsuccessfully ’til now.
你怎么上城西来了 达尔林普尔小姐
What brings you to the West End, Miss Dalrymple?
其实呢 确实挺开心的
Well, actually I did, rather.
听起来你好像玩得挺开心的
Sounds as if you had a jolly good time.
我发誓我从没见过那马
and I can swear that I never met that horse before in my life.
那个派对是受朋友之托
I attended that party only as a favour to a dear friend,
报道不实 我保证
Overblown, I assure you.
噢 您就是报上那个埃德蒙·史密斯啊
Oh, Edmund Smythe from the papers.
埃德蒙·圣·约翰史密斯
Edmund St. John Smythe.
夏洛特·达尔林普尔
Charlotte Dalrymple,
埃德蒙 这位是艾米丽的姐姐 夏洛特
Edmund, this is Emily’s sister, Charlotte.
摸够了吗 医生
Are you quite finished, Doctor?
谢谢
Thank you.
-你没事吧 -我想还好吧
-Are you all right? -Yes, I think so.
-格兰维尔医生 -噢
-Dr. Granville. -Oh…
我只是…只是…
Just… just…
噢…对不起
Oh… Excuse me.
真希望我能像你那么乐观
I wish I could share your optimism.
-好了 别担心 顺其自然吧 只要…-嗷
-Oh, don’t worry, something will come along, simply… -Oww!!
别杞人忧天了
Aren’t you a rainy day?
自己的存在是有必要的
truly useful.
这或许是第一次 我感觉…
Perhaps for the first time, I feel…
他们需要我
They need me.
严肃点好吗 我们在谈我的患者呢
Please be serious. We’re speaking of my patients.
法国人还算幸运 可以用舌头
I believe the French have quite a bit of luck using their tongues.
我总得想办法替这些女人治疗不是么
I must find some way to attend to these women properly.
莫蒂默 你非得戴那个可怕的护套吗
Mortimer, must you wear that ghastly hand brace?
-那说定周五咯 -好的 没问题
-Shush… Friday, then. -Ta!
我儿子弗兰克说 您就是雪中炭
My boy Frank says you’re the strawberries and the cream.
我非常感谢您在这儿付出的一切
Nobody appreciates more than me what you’ve done here.
我会替您转述的 小姐
I’ll make it stick, miss.
到时候我会亲自把欠款交给他
and I will bring him the money myself?
给救助站捐一笔巨额善款
to the settlement house this coming Friday,
答应了这周五
has absolutely promised a very large donation
我父亲 达尔林普尔医生
that my father, Dr. Dalrymple,
麻烦你跟你们老板说…
Would you tell your employer,
只收现金 而且…得平账
Cash only, he said, and get the balance.
抱歉 小姐 但上头规定的很明确
I’m sorry, miss, but the gov was very clear.
是的 没错 我能在周五给你吗
Yes, that looks right. May I pay you Friday next?
七磅六 应该是
seven and six, I think.
总共是…
three, carry the one…
加上之前赊账的…
plus what’s on account…
这些是今天新送的两百…
Now, then. It’s two hundred late today,
噢 杰克 谢谢你
Oh, Jack, thank you.
这是最后一袋了 小姐
That’s the last of it, Miss.
关于你在这儿的未来
about your future here.
我以为我们达成了共识 你和我…
I thought we had an understanding, you and I,
我郑重地起过誓的 先生
I have taken a solemn oath, sir.
而且是盈利性质的 所以形象很重要
and, I might add, lucrative practice. Appearances matter.
这是间专科诊所
This is a very exclusive,
但不宜让那种打零工的来这儿
but we can’t have day-labourers traipsing through the office.
我钦佩你的奉献精神 医生
Well, I admire your dedication, Doctor,
那个女人的脚踝骨折了
The woman had a broken ankle.
那么做只会延续她与那些人还有那个地方的联♥系♥
It merely prolongs her relationship with those people and that place.
我务必要求你不再给予夏洛特任何形式的帮助
I must insist that you give Charlotte no further assistance of any sort.
能和你谈谈吗
A word?
格兰维尔
Granville.
噢 说的也是
Oh, quite, yes.
没有能为之献身的责任 人生也没价值
Life is of little value unless it be consecrated by duty.
你总将责任摆在首位吗 艾米丽
Duty first, as always, Emily.
那就这么说定了
Oh, that’s settled.
呃…
Umm…
是啊 是啊…
Right… right.
尤其是我父亲会很高兴
Most especially as it will make father so happy.
我很荣幸
I should be honoured.
莫蒂默…
Mortimer…
安排
well, an arrangement?
你怎么看待这个…
what would your feelings be, about…
未来的某天由我来继承诊所
and I one day inherit the practice,
是不是该像您父亲建议的那样
Should things progress as your father suggested,
我在想…
I’ve been thinking.
我…噢 艾米丽…
I’ve been… Oh, Emily…
艾米丽…
Emily…
来 请坐
Please, sit down.
你好 莫蒂默
Hello, Mortimer.
欢迎来我们这儿看一看
feel free to pay us a visit.
你什么时候厌倦了那些焦虑的主妇
If you ever get bored of nervous housewives,
不客气
You’re both very welcome.
没错 你帮了我们的大忙
Yes, you’ve been a great help.
谢谢您 医生
Thank you, Doctor.
六周以后再来拆石膏 芬妮
Well, I’ll need to see you again in six weeks, Fannie, to remove the cast.
好了
Good.
我猜还有几个屈指可数的朋友
And few friends, I would imagine?
至少我有坚守信念的勇气
At least I’ve got the courage of my convictions.
我只见过你冲人♥大♥嚷还摔门
I’ve only ever seen you shout at people and slam doors.
你觉得我难以相处吗
Do you find me disagreeable?
难以相处的性格还真让我大开眼界
Does wonders for disagreeable personalities.
让你忙得不可开交 我看出来了
Keeps you busy, I see.
城里有半数的女人都饱受歇斯底里症之苦
Hysteria is a disabling condition suffered by half the women in this city.
抱歉
I apologize.
调得稀了点 谢谢你护士
That one is a little bit sloppy. Thank you, nurse.
也不是无关紧要
It’s hardly trivial.
而非他在这做那些无关紧要的工作
instead of the trivial work he does here.
我只希望 他能帮助像芬妮这样真正需要帮助的人
I simply wish he helped people like Fannie who really need it,
你知道吗 他从没去过救助站
You know, he’s never been to the settlement house.
我爸…
My father.
你为何跟你父亲那样作对
Why are you so opposed to your father?
有点僵了 其实
A bit stiff actually.
你的手没事吧
Is your hand alright?
我猜是克里米亚战争时期留下的
Crimean War surplus, I imagine.
我都不知道我爸这儿还有这些医疗用品
I didn’t know my father had any proper medical supplies in here anymore.
我要用些石膏来固定她的脚踝
I need some plaster for her ankle.
抱歉 我想转移她的注意力
Forgive me. I wanted her thoughts elsewhere.
她晕过去了 估计
She’s out, I think.
你说三下的 天啊
You said three! Bloody hell!

Ow!

two,

One,
我想可以吧
Yes, I think so.
替我数三下 可以吗
I want you to count to three for me. Can you do that?
-听着 芬妮…-好的
-Now, Fannie… -Yes.
很好
Very good.
-好了 -躺下吧
-There we go. -Lie back.
-这些是干嘛的 -我一会儿再解释
-What are these for? -I’ll explain later.
你要看
Want a look?
好吧 相信你是无心之过
Well, I’m sure it’s an honest mistake.
我没穿内♥裤♥
I’m not wearing any knickers.
-我们扶她进去吧 -谢谢你
-Let’s take her inside. -Thank you.
噢 晚安
Oh… Good night.
晚安 斯莫利女士
Good night, Miss Smalley.
我得告诉你 我们没钱
I should tell you, we’ve no money.
让我来看看
Let have a look at it.
不过也许这是个好方法
but it’s probably a very good choice.
一般我不建议过度饮酒
Normally I don’t recommend extreme drunkenness,
她醉了 为了止痛我只能这么做
That’s the rum talking. It’s all I had to ease the pain.
给我来份炸鱼薯条
I’ll have the fish ‘n’ chips.
芬妮把脚崴了 但愿我能劝服你替她看一下
Fannie has broken her ankle. I was hoping to persuade you to treat it?
我必须告诉你 我们只接待预约患者
Well, in that case I must tell you that we work only to appointment.
很好
Good.
我恐怕你父亲现在不在家

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
前一篇文章宵禁
下一篇文章五支歌
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!