Paul, all the way home, I kept thinking…
我琢磨,保罗,只要我们稍微努力一下
I wonder, Paul, if only we’d tried a little.
如果我们努力继续做朋友…
If we’d made some effort to remain friends…
这本会对我们两个人更好一些的
if it wouldn’t have been better for both of us.
我看是你把它结束了
I see you finished it.
是的,这是因为,保罗,回想起来…
Yes, because, Paul, when you look back…
大部分生命在孤独中白白浪费了
so much of life is wasted in Loneliness.
我们都需要朋友…
There’s not one of us that doesn’t need friends…
陪伴,依恋
companionship, attachments.
我用不着依恋 我学会了避开这些
I can do without attachments. I’ve learned to avoid them.
你怎么能这么说,保罗? 我的意思是,你也有自己的家人
How can you say that, Paul? I mean, even you have your family.
你会想到他们吗? 你的孩子,你难得见到他们
Do you ever think of them? Your children, you see them so seldom.
管好你自己的事儿吧
Mind your own business.
保罗,我只是想说…
Paul, all I mean is that…
你也一定会有不幸的时候…
you, too, must have times when you have a terrible…
你闭嘴好不好?
Why don’t you shut up?
你要是多愁善感的话,别用在我身上
If you have to slobber, don’t do it over me.
你很容易找到倾诉的对象
You’ll have no trouble finding subjects.
你可以对着一双旧鞋子呻♥吟♥
You mourn over a pair of old shoes.
你可以一边读《汤姆叔叔的小屋》一边哭
You cry when you read Uncle Tom’s Cabin.
你可以和米勒一起,为高贵的艰苦劳动而悲痛
You bleed with Millet over the nobility of toil.
你的那些多愁善感我听了好几个礼拜了,我听腻了!
For weeks I’ve been listening to that slop, and I’m tired of it!
你知道什么是艰苦劳动?
What do you know about toil?
你这辈子什么时候干过一下力气活儿?
When have you done a stroke of manual labor in your life?
我♥干♥过,我忍♥着酷暑在热带挖过沟
I have. I’ve dug ditches in the stinking heat of the Tropics.
我冒着严寒在码头上干过活儿…
I’ve worked on the docks in weather so cold…
我的双手和绳子冻在一起
my hands froze to the ropes.
而且我可以告诉你,那与高贵和美没有丝毫关系
And I can tell you there’s nothing noble or beautiful about it.
我这么干,是为了能够继续画画!
I did it so I could go on painting!
我没有兄弟来养着我!
I didn’t have a brother to support me!
永远不要再这么做
Don’t ever do that again.
保罗,你要去哪儿?
Paul, where are you going?
我要出去,趁着我们俩还没有拼命
I’m getting out before one of us gets killed.
-不要走 -我回头再来取我的东西
– Don’t go. – I’ll be back for my things.
请不要走,你不知道在你来以前我是多么的孤独
Please don’t go. If you only knew how Lonely I was before you came.
我非常了解孤独 只不过我不会因为孤独就诉苦
I know all about Loneliness. Only, I don’t whine about it.
-您叫什么名字? -高更
– What’s your name? – Gauguin.
您的朋友在里面…
Your friend is in there…
快死了
dying.
-你为什么不去请医生? -医生一会儿就到
– Why haven’t you sent for the doctor? – There’s one on the way.
-出什么事了? -他的耳朵被割掉了
– What happened? – His ear’s been slashed off.
-昨天夜里发生了什么事情? -我不知道,我不在这里
– What went on last night? – I don’t know. I wasn’t here.
您住这儿
You live here.
您为什么离开?
Why did you leave?
-你们两个打架了? -听着,我…
– Did you two have a fight? – Look, I…
督察,医生到了
Inspector, the doctor’s here.
-督察 -这边走,大夫
– Inspector. – Right this way, Doctor.
-您什么时候发现他的? -大约一个小时前
– When did you find him? – About an hour ago.
-他有知觉吗? -完全没有
– Has he been conscious at all? – Not at all.
他没有流血而死真是奇迹
It’s a wonder he didn’t bleed to death.
-是自残吗,大夫? -好像是
– Self-inflicted, Doctor? – Looks that way.
您认为怎么样,大夫?
What do you think, Doc?
别担心,他不会死在您手上
Don’t worry. You won’t have a corpse on your hands.
需要止血和清洗
The thing is to get it cauterized and cleaned.
-警官,请准备水和毛巾 -马上就来,先生
– Gendarme, water and towels, please. – Right away, sir.
我最好告诉您,这个人不正常
You might as well know that man’s unbalanced.
用不着相信我的话,可以问周围的任何人
Don’t take my word for it. Ask anyone around.
昨天夜里,他的情况恶化了
Last night, he got worse.
仅仅因为我在这里 似乎就让他发疯
Just my being here seemed to drive him out of his mind.
如果他醒来时我在这儿,他看到我,想起发生的事情…
If I’m here when he comes to, and he sees me, after all that’s happened…
那对他会是致命的
it could be fatal to him.
您还需要我做什么吗?
Will you need me for anything more?
不,我想不用了
No, I guess not.
我会通知他的兄弟
I’ll notify his brother.
你们在这儿干什么?
What do you want here?
没什么事情好做了吗,都挤在这里?
Nothing better to do than hang around cluttering up the square?
你们怎么不回家去 偏要打扰那个人?
Why don’t you go home and leave the man alone?
他病了,需要休息!
He’s sick and he needs rest!
这不是耍把戏! 你们应该感到羞耻!
This is no sideshow! You ought to be ashamed of yourselves!
回家去!都走!
Go on home! Go on!
别烦我!
Leave me alone!
-得了,红毛儿! -别烦我!
– Come on, redhead! – Leave me alone!
另一只耳朵怎么啦?
What happened to the other ear?
文森特,我刚刚同雷大夫谈过
Vincent, I’ve just been with Dr. Rey.
你恢复得很好
You’re doing very well.
现在你很快就可以出院了
Quite soon, now, you’ll be able to travel.
-乔安娜和我想让你… -提奥
– Johanna and I want you to… – Theo.
我想把自己关起来
I want to have myself committed.
我想去精神病院
I want to go to an asylum.
我必须这么做,提奥
I have to, Theo.
再这样发作一次 我也许就没救了…
One more of these attacks could leave me helpless…
就像只螃蟹仰面朝天
like a crab on its back.
甚至不能把我自己结果掉
Unable even to do away with myself.
你可以来巴黎和我们一起住 过一种合理的生活
You could come and live with us in Paris and have a reasonable life.
我不会让这样的事情再次发生
I’ll see that none of this ever happens again.
怎么做,提奥?
How, Theo?
你和乔安娜轮流看着我…
Will you and Johanna take turns watching me…
确定这些症状不再复发?
to make sure the symptoms aren’t coming back?
等你们的孩子出生后…
When your baby’s born…
我对别人,对我自己,都会是一种威胁
I’m a danger to others, I’m a danger to myself.
相信我,我在精神病院里会生活得好一些
Believe me, I’ll be better off in an asylum.
文森特,不要,你千万不要那么想
Vincent, don’t. You mustn’t think like that.
找个地方安置我吧,求求你
Find a place for me to go. Please.
不要伤心,不会很长时间的
Don’t be sad. It won’t be for long.
只要让我的生活变得有点儿条理就够了
Just long enough for me to find a little order in my life.
一点点儿平静
A little peace.
是的,您兄弟把病情说得非常清楚…
Yes, your brother has stated the case most clearly…
包括您自愿把自己关在这里的事实
including the fact that you have voluntarily committed yourself here.
您知道,精神疾病与其它疾病没有什么不同…
Now, you know, mental disease is no different from any other ailment…
人人都可能患上
you might have contracted.
还有您谈到的那些幻觉,只要您识别它们…
And these hallucinations you speak of, once you recognize them…
知道它们是这种紊乱的正常伴随现象…
as the normal accompaniment of disturbances of this sort…
不管是先天的还是后天的…
whether congenital or acquired…
一旦您对您的状态采取面对现实的态度,恐惧就会消失掉一半
once you accept your state for what it is, half the terror has gone out of it.
-您明白这些道理,对吗? -当然
– You do see that, don’t you? – Of course.
除此之外,还需要平静和休息
Beyond that, peace and rest.
定期在宜人的环境中活动
Regular routine in agreeable surroundings.
您知道,目前本院的男性病人…
You know, in this entire institution at the moment…
只有11个
we’ve no more than11 male patients.
平时粗茶淡饭,不过都是有益于健康的
The food is plain but healthy.
最重要的是,这里很安静,是的
And above all, it is quiet. Yes.
是的,这里很安静
Yes, it is quiet.
这是我们的管♥理♥员♥
Now, here is our superintendent.
这位是文森特 梵高先生,从荷兰来
And this is Mr. Vincent van Gogh from Holland.
请您带梵高先生去他的房♥间吧…
Now, why don’t you take Mr. Van Gogh to his room…
然后让他了解一下我们的规定和习惯
and let him know some of our rules and habits.
不,我们要暂时为您保存这些东西…
No, we’ll store those away for you for a little while…
等到您知道自己需要什么,是的
until you see what you need. Yes.
与此同时,您什么时候需要我,请…
Meanwhile, any time you need me…
…左耳自残
…mutilated his left ear.
鉴于以上情况…
In view of the above…
并根据我对病人的检查…
and in the light of my examination of the patient…
我所提供的专业意见是…
it is my professional opinion…
梵高先生有必要…
that it will be necessary for Mr. Van Gogh…
在本院接受长♥期♥的观察和治疗
to undergo extended observation and treatment in this institution.
佩伦博士 圣保罗 1889年5月9日
Signed, Dr. Peyron,
dated Saint-R茅my, May 9, 1889.
梵高,文森特,六月14日
Van Gogh, Vincent, June 14.
病人的状况似乎令人满意…
The patient’s condition appears satisfactory…
病情持续好转
with continued improvement.
不过,继续表现出慢性迟钝症状…
Continues to suffer, however, from a condition of chronic inertia

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!