Darren?- Yeah?
回到嵌板中心的灯光那里
Come back to the light on the centre panel.
你在那能看清是怎么回事吗
Can you see enough from up there to see what’s happening?
是的 -画上有一大块阴影
Yup.- We’ve got a huge frame shadow.
我认为我们并不能做些什么
I don’t think there’s going to be anything we can do about that.
是因为这些边框
It’s because the frames are causing it
让镜面离画太远导致的
to sit behind the glass so far back.
但是
But…
你的钢丝车方便吗
do you have your card handy?
让你的钢丝车越过第一个固定装置
Put your card over the first fixture.
往旁边移
Take it away.
继续
Again.
往旁边移
Take it away.
往旁边移
Take it away.
再稍微调一下
Tweak that one up a wee bit, too.
好了就这样
There you go.
好的 继续移到下一个
OK, move along to the next.
往旁边移
Take it away.
继续
Again.
往旁边移
Take it away.
让我 让我的眼睛缓一会儿
Let me… Let my eyes adjust a moment.
今天早上忘带太阳镜了 我总是随身携带的
I forgot my sunglasses this morning. I always bring my sunglasses up.
凯文
Kevin?
最上面是150
So that’s 150 at the top.
嗯 很好 越来越契合了
Ah, there, we’re getting more in line now, good.
很好
Good.
再检查一遍中心嵌条 因为我们刚加了这盏灯
Let’s check the centre panel again, because we’ve added this light.
140.
现在 检查左边那扇
And now, the left wing.
很遗憾阴影的存在 但是恐怕只能这样了
It’s a shame about the shadow but I’m afraid there’s just nothing…
我们不得不容下它 -没有不
We’ll have to live with it.- ..not without…
背面不可能会合适
backing it uncomfortably.
好了 没有多余的空间了吧 -真的是没有
Well, there’s no more room, is there?- There really isn’t.
你完成了你的英勇事迹 当然阴影例外
You’ve been heroic. With the exception of the shadow…
这比我想象的要好的多
It’s a lot better than I thought it was going to be.
我给你举一个极端的例子
I’ll take you to an extreme example.
我们正讨论自然光
We were discussing natural light
和为什么现在没人知道画中的光源在哪
and how now no-one knows where the lighting is in the painting.
比如 这幅画中的光是从哪来的
Like, where is this one lit from?
我觉得是从 -左上方 没错
I think from the…- Top left, yeah.
事实上在十七世纪
And it’s a fact that in the 17th century,
那时的人们更加觉醒
we know people were much more aware
当凡·多特写下详细目录给查理一世时
When Van Doort wrote the inventory for Charles I,
他纪录下了每幅画作 并说明
he recorded every painting and said
光源来自左边还是右边
whether it was lit from the left or the right
现在是没必要这样做的 我们早已习惯于电灯
which you just don’t even do now, this we’re so used to electric light
为我们做的所有事情 我们并没有认识到 -是的
coming down and doing it all for us, we don’t realise…- Right.
记录下来光的是很重要的
..it’s important to record how it was.
并且我猜他那样做是为了
And I assume he did it because he was going to
根据光的投射角度来悬挂这些画 -是的
hang the paintings according to which way they were lit.- Yeah.
这幅是挂在一个大教堂里 而且你可能会发现 实际上
This one’s in a big church and you could probably find, actually,
是在哪个小礼堂
which chapel it was,
你只需坐在那 看白天灯光是从哪来的
sit there and see where the light was during the day,
它是怎么办到的 为什么这是观看的最合适时机
how it worked, why it was the optimum time for it to be viewed.
可能他从来没想到过这幅画会
So he probably never imagined that it would be shown
在这种环境下展示出来 有电灯和
in this kind of context, with electric lighting and…
现在 那是你不得不解决的事 某种意义上
Now, that’s something that you have got to address, in a sense.
而我们却没有解决它
And we don’t address it.
我们说 对所有事物都被设计都要正面、均匀受光
We say everything’s designed to be seen dead front on, evenly lit.
我给你举个例子 因为我们离那儿很近
I can give you one, because we’re nearby…
我们得先去鲁本斯美术馆
We have to go to Rubens’ gallery first.
我会给你展示一个极端的例子
I’ll show you an extreme example of that.
好的 这是个例外 因为我们知道这幅画在哪
OK, this is exceptional, because we know where this painting was
并且它还在 实际发生地点是在
and it still exists, the actual venue that it was in –
是在洛克欧克斯的故居里 而且就在壁炉架上方
it was in Rockox’s own house and it was above his chimneypiece.
而且十七世纪的烟囱
And chimneys in the 17th century
不像我们现在这种可怜的小东西一样
weren’t like these little miserable things we get now.
烟囱的高度通常是在这里
The height of a chimney is always about here.
那是它的顶壁 所以它至少会有这么高
That’s the top ledge of it, so it would have been at least that high.
你必须想象你要俯视在
You’ve got to imagine you’re going to have to look down on the…
画作在你上方 你正在向上看
You know, the painting is way above you and you’re looking up.
其实在十七世纪你可以走进烟囱里
You can actually walk into chimneys in the 17th century
你可以猜到 灯光在左边
and you can guess, the lighting’s on the left, OK?
窗子在那里 窗子也很高
That’s where the windows were. The windows were quite high, too.
现在 有一个即时效应
Now, it has one immediate effect,
现在你可能看不到 当你均匀照亮它
which you don’t get now, when you light it evenly.
左边的灯光更强
The lighting is stronger on the left,
因为那是自然光源
because that’s the source of the natural light.
所以 光很强烈的投射在她身上
And therefore, it picks up her very strongly
而在门口处的五个人物则看起来很模糊
and the five figures in the doorway look very faint
这是值得注意的 因为你没有预料到这个
and that’s worth noticing, because you wouldn’t expect that.
在这样的光照下 他们看起来好像在争抢空间
In this light, the look almost as if they’re competing spatially
他们非常鲜明 明白吗 这几个家伙进来抓他
and they’re very bright, you know? The guys coming in to arrest him.
但当你把它放在原来的地方时
But when you actually put it in its original place –
我们几年前就这样做了
and we did this a couple of years ago –
关掉了所有的电灯
switch off all the electric lights,
这总是需要一些劝说来做到
which always takes a bit of persuading to do.
你会发现这幅画改变了
You’ll find the painting clicks and pops,
因为这些人消失在远处 而且这种材料
because those guys fade back into the distance and this stuff,
看起来很粗糙
which almost looks too harsh…
由于灯光的变强 它变得更光滑
Because the light’s stronger, it becomes much smoother.
他肯定知道他正在做什么 因为他创造这种反差
He must have known he was doing that, cos he’s made the contrast…
看棕色从白色之间显出
See the browns sneaking through, between the white?
你能看到暖棕色
You can see the warm browns.
他这样处理以捕捉光线 使之成为焦点
So he’s made it to catch the light and so, this is the focal point.
他是画作会被放置的光照下
Would he have painted it in the same light
画的这幅画吗 -嗯 他可能就是在原地画的
as it would have been displayed?- Yeah, he probably painted in situ.
而且 有大量的证据证明画家确实这样做
And, there’s quite a lot of evidence that artists did go
并且把画放在原地 洛克欧克斯是他的好朋友
and place paintings in situ. Rockox was a friend of his.
如果不是这样的话 那就是他修改过
And if not, he would have touched it up –
而且这会给你带来另一个问题
and that brings you to a different problem –
在古时 如果你用了存在于蒲林尼时期
what happens if you’ve used tinted varnishes,
的彩色清漆 会发什么
which we know existed from Pliny’s time, in antiquity?
因为他可能想 噢 那块颜色有点太亮了
Because he would have thought, “Oh, that bit’s now too bright.”
如果我们把它们清除掉 我们觉得我们很科学
And if we clean them off, we think we’re very scientific.
我们剥去所有清漆 这样我们就毁掉了所有证据
We strip all the varnish off and so, we destroy any of that evidence.
甚至当我们找到一种最原始的清漆时
Even when we find an original varnish,
我们会非常激动的想要把它们剥掉
we tend to get very excited and take them off.
这样的话 我们就永远也不会知道画家要花多少心血把它调回来
And so, we’ll never know how much the artist toned it back.
但是你能在这幅画中看到
But you can see in this painting…
我觉得这幅画放着这里就很好 如果你到这边来
I think the painting’s much finer over here. If you come here…
看 他画得使它呈之字形
See, he’s just done zigzags –
没有费心去做任何实际模型
hasn’t bothered to do any real modelling at all,
因为他知道这里是死角
because he knows this is the dark corner.
而且他也知道是在你眼睛上方
And he also knows it’s above your eye height.
所以 你看到这些差异
And so, you see these differences…
而且他知道微风从窗外习来
And he also knows the window lets in the breeze,
所以 你忽视了所有
And so, you lose all that.
我的意思是 环境对绘画来说往往是至关重要的
I mean, context is almost crucial for a painting like this.
你读到很多没有意义的东西 因为人们说
And you read a lot of rubbish, because people say
这上面是一个壁炉 或者是闪烁的火光
“it’s above a fireplace”, or “it’s the flickering firelight”.
如果你真的看见火光 它不会反射到墙上
If you actually look at a firelight, it doesn’t reflect back.
灯光是反射到地板上的 所以
The thing that light reflects off is floor, and so…
我是说 如果这是个宫殿 例如
I mean, if this was a palace, for instance –
我们可以试试看 如果我们去一个宴会厅
and we can try it when we go to a banqueting hall –
关掉所有灯光 会从窗外会投进多少光
and switch off all the lights – how much light do you get
到地板上并且照亮天花板
from the windows bouncing off the floor and illuminating the ceiling?
你可以测试一下
You can test it.
唯一效果好的地方是巴贝里尼宫
The only place I know it really works well is Palazzo Barberini.
总之 非常感谢你们 -不客气 -再见 -再见
Anyway, thank you very much.- Yes.- See you.- See you.
提香的作品径直穿过这里 这里
The Titian cuts across…here.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!