That’s a common mistake.
事实是一年以后
What happend was a year later,
在玛格丽特公主葬礼那天
on the day of Princess Margaret’s funeral,
我发了封邮件说
I send an e-mail saying
让我们确保
let’s make sure
今天我们”埋葬”的
the only thing we “bury” inverted commas today
只有玛格丽特公主
is Princess Margaret.
是有一点不同
Which is slightly different.
其实是非常不同 不过…
It’s very different, actually… But…
如果你想重回新闻业
Well, if you want to get back into journalism,
你应该跟萨莉谈谈
you should talk to Sally.
我这儿都是些
Oh, I just do, you know,
催泪故事 个人情感之类的
sob stories, human interest,
你对这些没兴趣 对吧
not really your cup of tea, is it?
不过要是你有这方面的想法
But I’ll be happy to have a look
我很乐意帮你看看
if you want to push any ideas my way?
好的 拜托了
Yes, please.
劳驾 能来一杯灰比诺葡萄酒吗
Excuse me. Do you have a glass of Pinot Grigio?
只有红酒和白酒
It’s just red or white.
那就白酒吧 谢谢
I’ll have white, please.
我无意中听到你是个记者
I couldn’t help overhearing you were a journalist.
我认识一个女人
I know this woman,
在她还是少女的时候 生了个孩子
she had a baby when she was a teenager,
整整五十年 她对谁也没说
and she’s kept it secret for 50 years.
我今天才知道
I only found out today.
抱歉 孩子是被修女们夺走的
Sorry. The baby was taken from her by these nuns.
她们强行把她的孩子给人领养
Then they made her have it adopted.
这件事她一直保密着
And she kept it a secret all this time.
是这样 我现在在写一本书
Well, the thing is, I’m working on a book at the moment
讲俄♥罗♥斯♥历史的
about Russian history.
那才是我的兴趣
That’s my thing.
你说的这件事
What you’re talking about would be
是个情感故事
a human interest story,
我不写这些的
I don’t do this.
为什么呢
Why not?
因为情感故事 说难听点其实就是
Because human interest story is euphemism for
脆弱无能又无知的人的故事
stories about weak-minded, vulnerable, ignorant people
登在报纸上
to put in newspapers
给脆弱无能又无知的人看
read by vulnerable, weak-minded, ignorant people.
我不是说你
Not that you are.
总之…希望你们找到他
And, anyway, I hope you find him.
你觉得我该去写情感故事吗
Do you think I should do a human interest story?
你好 你一定是菲洛梅娜吧 我是马丁
Hello, you must be Philomena. I’m Martin.
你好 马丁
Hello, Martin.
-又见面了 -你好
– Hello again. – Hello.
我们的位子在那边 你们先请
We got a table through here. After you.
就在左边
Just to the left.
我必须为那天晚上道歉
I must apologize for the other night,
我那时有点…心情不太好
Afraid I was a bit… Caught me at a bad moment.
没关系 你能找到我 我就很开心了
That’s all right. I’m just glad you managed to track me down.
希望你不介意在这儿见面
I hope you don’t mind coming here.
这儿是我妈的最爱
It’s mum’s favourite.
没事 这儿挺好的
No, no, it’s… it’s very nice.
菲洛梅娜 你好吗
So, Philomena, how are you?
不错
I’m all right.
我去年做了髋关节替换手术 马丁
I had a hip replacement last year, Martin.
比原来骨质的好多了
It’s much better than the bone one I had before.
而且是钛合金的 所以不会生锈
And it’s titanium, so it won’t rust.
真不错 不然他们就得把你当铁皮人一样
It’s good job, otherwise they’d have to oil you
给你上油了
like the Tin Man.
真的吗
Is that right?
不 我是说像《绿野仙踪》里面那样
No, I mean, like the Wizard of Oz.
他在开玩笑 妈妈
He’s just joking, mum.
我在开玩笑罢了
No, no, I was just joking.
我母亲的两个膝盖都有晚期骨关节炎
My mother has advanced osteoarthritis in both her knees.
我们去拿沙拉吧
Shall we get some salad?
沙拉 好啊
Salad, yes.
简是我们家里最聪明的
Jane’s the clever one in our family.
她是作为成人学生上的大学
She went to university as a mature student,
你知道 就是比较老的学生
you know, when you’re quite old.
你上的哪个大学 马丁
Where did you go, Martin?
我猜一定是牛津剑桥
Oxbridge I’ll bet.
被你猜中了 是牛津
You’ve rumbled me. Oxford, yes.
我就知道你肯定不笨
I knew you weren’t a duffer.
我还是第一次来哈维斯特吃饭
I don’t think I’ve been in a Harvester before.
伦敦没有分店吗
Do they not have them in London?
不是 我喜欢去我家旁边的一个小餐馆
No, I tend to go to a little local place, near where I live.
那是哪里
And where’s that?
骑士桥
Knightsbridge.
好吧 肯定很贵吧
Oh well, that must be expensive.
我喜欢在沙拉上加烤面包块
I love these bits of toast on mine.
你结婚了吗 马丁
And are you married, Martin?
结了 和凯特 二十年了
Yes. I am, to Kate. 20 years.
真好 太棒了
That’s good. That’s grand.
要知道 我是真的爱他
I did love him, you know.
我把我的遭遇隐瞒了五十年
I’ve kept what happened to me buried away for 50 years.
我爸爸把我丢给那些修女们
My father just left me with the nuns.
他觉得很丢脸 和所有人说我死了
He was so shamed, he told everyone I was dead.
我的家人从没去看过我
My family never visited me.
生完孩子以后
After you’d had your baby,
你得在修道院里再待四年
you had to stay in the Abbey for four years,
为了回报修女们的收留之恩
In order to repay the sisters for taking you in,
你必须干活
you had to work.
洗衣房♥的活是最累的
The worst jobs were in the laundry,
她们就把我安排在那儿
and that’s where they put me.
我每周工作七天
I worked there seven days a week,
从来没有休息
the whole time I was there.
我和我最好的朋友凯丝琳一起工作
I worked there with my best friend, Kathleen.
我们每天可以见孩子一小时
We were allowed to see our children for an hour a day.
-快 -仅此而已
– Come on. – That was all.
慢慢走 不许跑
Walk, don’t run!
妈妈
Mommy!
安东尼和凯丝琳的女儿玛丽是好朋友
Anthony was best friends with Kathleen’s daughter Mary.
他们简直密不可分
The two of them were inseparable.
看啊 他决不让她离开视线
Look at that, he won’t let her out of his sight.
怎么了
What’s the matter?
厨房♥的姑娘们说
The girls in the kitchen said,
芭芭拉嬷嬷带玛丽去了楼上的房♥间
Mother Barbara had Mary up at the house.
-你说她们要对她做什么 -菲
– What do you think they wanted with her? – Phil.
我保证这没什么好担心的
I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about.
我马上回来
I won’t be a minute.
菲 我有东西要给你
Phil, I got something for you.
凯丝琳担心得要死
Kathleen’s worried sick.
她觉得她们要把玛丽送走
She thinks they’re going to take Mary from her.
我说如果她们要这么做
I told her if they were gonna do it,
一定会先告诉她的
they’d tell her first for sure.

Look.
这事不许告诉别人
You can’t tell anyone you got it.
他的父亲一定很英俊
I bet his father was handsome.
是的
He was.
你怎么弄到的
How did you get this?
我借了一台盒式相机
I borrowed a Box Brownie and
趁院长嬷嬷不注意的时候拍的
took it when Reverend Mother wasn’t looking.
谢谢你
Thank you.
每次看着这张安东尼的照片
Whenever I look at that photo of Anthony,
我都会为安♥南♥希雅塔祈祷
I say a little prayer for Anunciata,
是她在我分娩时救了他一命
who saved his life when I gave birth to him.
她已经死了很久了
She died a long time ago now.
要不是她拍了这照片 我就什么都没有了
But if she hadn’t taken that, I’d have nothing.
那你一直被困在那里吗
So, were you just trapped there the whole time?
要想离开 必须付她们一百英镑

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
前一篇文章新岳父大人
下一篇文章梦女孩
一个人,一本书,一部电影,还是一段音乐 ♪ ♩ ♫ ♬ 在世界的某个角落, 总有什么能触动你的心灵; 在世界的某个角落, 总有和你一样的人。

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!